Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
I think this movie lends itself to some obvious comparisons to "Pirates of Silicon Valley." It covers almost exactly the same time period in Steve Jobs' life (1971 to 2000), minus 50% of the movie focusing on Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. I think it looks like a GREAT movie for those of us who are Apple "enthusiasts" (i.e., fanboys), but may be 6 or 7 out of 10 for the general public or the pretentious movie critics who only seem to appreciate movies with social lessons, and specifically lessons which are consistent with their political agendas.

That explains why "Man of Steel" is rated 8.1/10 on IMDB, but only 56% at Rotten Tomatoes. Fans love action-packed movies about Superman, but critics see it as just another summer blockbuster which screws up the original mythology of the character they only understand from the Donner/Reeve original movie. They have no appreciation for often rebooted and reimagined history of the character after 75 years in comic books and other media. Similarly, these critics only understand the Steve Jobs portrayed in news media and MAYBE Isaacson's book (for those who read it).

Yes, Ashton Kutcher is a douchebag and a mediocre actor, but no one can really say that he doesn't resemble Steve Jobs. Continuing with my analogy, he was chosen for the same reason that Christopher Reeve and now Henry Cavill were chosen to be Superman. Sure, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis are better actors, but they would still be less believable as either Superman or Steve Jobs. Even Noah Wyle, who did a great job in "Pirates of Silicon Valley", does not look as much like Steve Jobs as Kutcher does.

So, accept the actors who were chosen, and try to watch the movie with an open mind. Personally, I'm very excited to see it and I'm glad they're finally releasing it!

Well said. I couldn't agree more with you. :D

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
wow, great movie, i will definitely watch this awesome movie, it'd be really motivating to see SJ struggle and achieve success.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
You realize that this is a trailer and that these will probably not appear in this order in the actual movie?

Yeah, totally. But we're talking about the trailer here - and that's how they've edited for the trailer - a cheap attempt at tugging at the heartstrings.

Like I said in a previous comment, maybe the movie will be better. But I personally think this trailer is terrible. You may personally love it. Neither of us are wrong - it's a personal opinion.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
I'm not sure what you mean by rewriting history since Microsoft won the OS battle.

Apple is considerably larger that Microsoft, and riding on a wave of public popularity that Microsoft can only dream of. I would say that Microsoft won the (long passed) desktop OS 'battle', but Apple are currently winning the 'war' - both financially and in popularity.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jobs portrayed very differently in a biopic once a certain Mr Gates shuffles off his mortal coil.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Ok, ok I get it, you really really (really!) cannot keep yourself from smacking those phones, can ya?!

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Looks completely boring to me. But then I don't enjoy too many documentaries and I think Ashton Kutcher is douche bag.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Guys, I really cannot understand what your problem with Kutcher and his role in this movie is... really. I saw him just once in Butterfly Effect in which he acted pretty well IMO. I was impressed after seeing the Jobs-trailer yesterday how similar he looks to Steve Jobs in some scenes. It is not perfect, that may be right, but what exactly have you expected from this movie? Kutcher having a facial surgery for the movie or what? Jesse Eisenberg in Social Network doesn't look like Mark Zuckerberg. And in Pirates of Silicon Valley (IMO a bad movie) Noah Wyle doesn't look at ALL like Steve. But I think, they did a great Job with Kutcher acting Jobs!

Never said anything about looks here. I just wouldn't cast Ashton for Steve Jobs is all. He's well known for his goofy roles. Think about it. You have someone playing Michael Kelso also play Steve Jobs. The difference could not be greater and Ashton carries that persona with him in almost every other role, and this feels no different. Jesse Eisenberg is fairly obscure, however, and essentially created a new version of Mark Zuckerberg unobscured by any famous associations due to past roles, one that was very good I might add.

SteaKnife

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Grover CO
This. It's a well known fact that comedic actors rarely, if ever, make the transition over to drama with any grace.

Well..

Attachments

• kelso-burn.jpg
    kelso-burn.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 66

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple is considerably larger that Microsoft, and riding on a wave of public popularity that Microsoft can only dream of. I would say that Microsoft won the (long passed) desktop OS 'battle', but Apple are currently winning the 'war' - both financially and in popularity.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jobs portrayed very differently in a biopic once a certain Mr Gates shuffles off his mortal coil.

Microsoft is still is safer for the long term than apple. Apple right now relies on the iphone and the ipad for like 90% of their profits. Microsoft relies on windows and microsoft office which isn't going anywhere.

BoxBrownie

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Can't wait to see this. It's strange how they didn't post a trailer for this movie until now considering how close to release date that is. I had no idea about this until now.

DanCorleone

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2013
He does not channel Steve. We have so much footage of Steve that we know him well enough, and I doubt anybody can portray him.

----------

Looks completely boring to me. But then I don't enjoy too many documentaries and I think Ashton Kutcher is douche bag.

Watching a douche portray a 1 in a billion.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I'm sorry but Ashton Kutcher playing Steve Jobs? Really? Ashton's roles have been too frivolous in the past compared to this. Not sure we can have someone who's so goofy playing one of the most serious figures of history. The voice alone puts me off. I'll prob rent it in a few months but no way am I seeing this in theaters.

----------

hishe?

The best serious role I ever seen Kutcher in was in The Butterfly Effect after that wow what the fudge!

----------

He does not channel Steve. We have so much footage of Steve that we know him well enough, and I doubt anybody can portray him.

----------

Watching a douche portray a 1 in a billion.

Noah Wyle did portray him Pirates of the Silicon Valley and than Steve Jobs invited him to an event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.