Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I hope they wont put "retina" displays on the MacbookPro line because it is just nonsense. You cannot see the pixels on 15" @ 1440x960 either. Unless you put your nose to the screen :eek: 15 inch display with 1920x1200 would be nice.

They should put effort to maximizing the battery life on those laptops. There is plenty of heat, power and fan noise with todays laptops already. They have gone in the wrong direction if CPU temperatures hit over 100C and they call it normal behaviour...

Well normal or not, definitely anti-green if nothing else. 100C temps for electric components means quick death.

that's why they ought to expand the MBA line. Low power consumption and dissipation, slim, powerful... with a 15" footprint yuo get plenty of battery life... but keep hot powerhouses like the 15" pro for power users as well !

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Wow! I can't wait to touch one of these. I imagine it'll be like the iPad 2 but with a sharper screen and a bit faster but I can't wait to find out for sure.

xinu

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Finland
"Retina" on a MBP would not have to be double the resolution, clearly.

Yes you are right. The minimum is four times the pixels because you just cannot put for example 3x pixels because the pixels are grouped 2x2 you know? You cannot put them 1x2 instead of 2x2 , the aspect ratio would go just wrong.

My english is not so clear today. Maybe my point is not understood.

More pixels draw more power from battery. That is not what we need today.
CPU's are powerful enough on MacbookPro's and Air's we could use some low-temp machines now with at least 12hrs Wifi with one charge?

Last edited:

WhoAmI2

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
JUST A HEADS UP..

you will notice the box is the same as the IPAD2 box... except the screen image is blue..
also, if your buying off of someone, make sure to check the box for the blue screen on the ipad... and I would also open it up and fire it up to make sure its a retina screen....
I can see some scams happening soon...
Apple should of put something different on the box to differentiate from the ipad 2 box
You make the assumption that most people are idiots (which they are) but I figure if they get hosed that's on them (and their stuidity in getting hosed is a good life lesson). The image on the 3 is also backwards when compared to the 2.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
I hope they wont put "retina" displays on the MacbookPro line because it is just nonsense. You cannot see the pixels on 15" @ 1440x960 either. Unless you put your nose to the screen :eek: 15 inch display with 1920x1200 would be nice.

I want a macbook air with 1920x1200, 8GB ram 512SSD:D

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Those lucky stinking bastards!

----------

How much rammmm?!?!?!

Anandtech estimates 1 GB, Apple said it has more RAM than an XBox 360, so it's more than 512 MB. RAM is paired, so they reason that to have less than 1 GB they'd have to install uneven amounts on each side, which would decrease performance. So 1 GB seems the most likely.

Although bear in mind this thing has 4X the pixels of iPad2 and the PowerVR SGX uses a unified memory model, meaning extra texture memory is going to be coming out of that RAM. Therefore it seems likely that you'll actually have somewhat less than 2X the available RAM of the iPad2. Still, it should be a nice increase.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I thought it was funny that I got a kindle fire ad at the end of the video...
:D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I thought it was funny that I got a kindle fire ad at the end of the video...
:D

Yeah, just like here in the Macrumors frontpage every once in a while.
Most Mac and iOS sites get swarmed with Android ads.
Definitely a desperate attempt to call for attention. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Are you sure? Afaik does the HiDPI mode in OSX Lion just doubles the size of bitmap UI-graphics which is only usefull if you also double the screen resolution.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/12/enable-hidpi-mode-in-mac-os-x-lion/

Right, but OS X (unlike the iPad) already runs at many standard resolutions, so it doesn't have to pixel-double the current MBP/MBA resolution, just some other common, existing resolution. For example, they could double 960x600 and give you 1920x1200, double 1280x800 for 2560x1600, double 1024x640 for 2048x1280, or whatever.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

----------

Anandtech estimates 1 GB, Apple said it has more RAM than an XBox 360, so it's more than 512 MB. RAM is paired, so they reason that to have less than 1 GB they'd have to install uneven amounts on each side, which would decrease performance. So 1 GB seems the most likely.

The guy from Epic games said it had more RAM than the Xbox 360, not someone from Apple. I believe him though. It's just that I don't think Apple has ever talked about RAM in an iOS device outside of developer presentations.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Right, but OS X (unlike the iPad) already runs at many standard resolutions, so it doesn't have to pixel-double the current MBP/MBA resolution, just some other common, existing resolution. For example, they could double 960x600 and give you 1920x1200, double 1280x800 for 2560x1600, double 1024x640 for 2048x1280, or whatever.
That's true, but if they decreased the resolution you'd be losing screen real estate which is hardly desirable.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

----------

Although bear in mind this thing has 4X the pixels of iPad2 and the PowerVR SGX uses a unified memory model, meaning extra texture memory is going to be coming out of that RAM. Therefore it seems likely that you'll actually have somewhat less than 2X the available RAM of the iPad2. Still, it should be a nice increase.

Yeah but that extra memory needed for the higher resolution display is hardly anything, just a few Megabytes:

3 Megapixels x 24-bit color / 8 bits = 9 Megabytes.
or hopefully:
3 Megapixels x 36-bit color / 8 bits = 12 Megabytes.

Now, lets exaggerate and multiply it by 10 times for buffering: 120 Megabytes at most.

There's till plenty of RAM, at least 768MB free for apps, if we assume iOS takes 128MB.

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
I hope the release a MacBook Pro with higher resolution soon. They really have to! Even on my 27" screen I cannot run the simulator in portrait mode. :D

Mr.DD216

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
As much as I want to, I'm not going to watch this video because I want to be surprised when I open up mine Friday & make my own vid

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
The term 'retina display' really needs to go.

Why? Retina describes it very very well. It is unique and trademarked by Apple. I don't see why it should go.

----------

As much as I want to, I'm not going to watch this video because I want to be surprised when I open up mine Friday & make my own vid

he opened it up and there was textbooks inside

----------

Isn't it funny, how Apple's best product, OS X, gets the least attention from both Apple and consumers?

Have you taken a tour of AppleHQ to back this up?

----------

*looks at clock*

Back to forums.

*looks at clock*

Back to forums.

*looks at clock*

Back to forums.

*looks at clock*

Back to forums.

*looks at clock - CHANGES FROM 8:14pm to 8:15pm - YAAAAY!!!*

Back to forums.

I can't remember being this excited since, oooooh, iPad 1??

I am like that always when waiting for something like this :p Unfortunately I am not waiting for this iPad >< Never owned one and probably never will. My budget at the moment is restricting me to the needs instead of the wants :(

Flinx

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Germany
That's true, but if they decreased the resolution you'd be losing screen real estate which is hardly desirable.

I second that. Therefore I would appreciate to stay at the actual "screen estate" (which is 1280x800 for the Macbook 13") for each display. That means Apple has to increase the resolution to 2.560x1600 for the Macbook 13".

Rumors say that Samsung will present a 10" tablet whith exact the same resolution this year:
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/samsung-unveils-new-10-inch-2560-x-1600-pixel-displays-20110513/

(Ok, the report is from last year.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.