Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
The new AirPlay over iCloud functionality allows users to take any purchased iTunes content — such as music, movies or TV episodes — and stream it directly to an Apple TV that may not be configured with their iTunes login credentials. The authentication is instead provided wirelessly by a connected iOS device, like an iPhone or iPad.

Thanks sandbox, but how is this any different than what we can currently do with iphone/MBA/iPad to Apple TV?

Sorry, not really understanding the difference.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks sandbox, but how is this any different than what we can currently do with iphone/MBA/iPad to Apple TV?

The way I understand it is, is that you are at a family or friends house, and your Apple ID credentials are not in their Apple TV, but you want to play a movie you rented with your Apple ID. This will allow you to stream that movie from your iDevice to their Apple TV without the need of them signing out and you signing in to their ATV.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This explains the pizza delivery trucks all over at The Loop in Cupertino this weekend. Guess they got sick of the cafeteria food or it was closed when they were working triple shifts.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

You can't currently do it at all if it is not the same account. And with the new method, it plays from the internet, not from your device.

xristy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
How long do I wait?

The atv has gone through steps 1 and 2 and has been sitting with no av signal but the little white light now for 15 minutes. Is it safe to restart or do I keep waiting or is it bricked?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
The way I understand it is, is that you are at a family or friends house, and your Apple ID credentials are not in their Apple TV, but you want to play a movie you rented with your Apple ID. This will allow you to stream that movie from your iDevice to their Apple TV without the need of them signing out and you signing in to their ATV.

You can't currently do it at all if it is not the same account. And with the new method, it plays from the internet, not from your device.

Ah ha!
Ok thanks guys!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004

Exactly. The benefit is you aren't killing your battery streaming a movie to your friends ATV

As for the update...I'll sit this one out for a few days and see what is reported.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
It bricked mine on Friday

After spending the weekend with a bricked ATV (since iTunes on my PPC iMac was evidently not good enough for a restore) I took it to work today and restored it with the windows PC. As a Mac user of nearly 30 years this was definitely NOT good advertising for Apple that in the presence of my coworkers I had to resort to the dark side to fix Apple's blunder.

Now I apparently get to spend even more of my time re-entering all of my settings :(

Evidently there is another update since the one iTunes applied this morning. I applied it OTA and all went well (7.0.2 11A502).

Last edited:

TruePS4WiiUFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Just updated. Nothing was successful due to ATV3 not accepting D-Link Wireless Router. Because I kept getting this error - 3902.

What can I do about this one?

----------

Final wanted to be little clear on what I meant by that. All of my family's mobile phones and laptops including tablets worked perfectly fine, but not ATV3? Why is that? Even though I inputted in the correct network password and nothing happened.

Levendis

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
I just finished updating... it started out as saying 1 of 2 parts Preparing Update. This took about 15 minutes and then it told me that it didn't work and to Restart, and so I did. Then it did both parts Preparing & Updating in about 45 minutes for me.
Update was successful.

You should maybe wait patiently and see what it will do.

The atv has gone through steps 1 and 2 and has been sitting with no av signal but the little white light now for 15 minutes. Is it safe to restart or do I keep waiting or is it bricked?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
After spending the weekend with a bricked ATV (since iTunes on my PPC iMac was evidently not good enough for a restore) I took it to work today and restored it with the windows PC. As a Mac user of nearly 30 years this was definitely NOT good advertising for Apple that in the presence of my coworkers I had to resort to the dark side to fix Apple's blunder.

Now I apparently get to spend even more of my time re-entering all of my settings :(

Maybe its time to upgrade to a intel computer bro. Welcome to 2013 get out of 2005

codeoverride

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Bricked

Original update bricked my Apple TV. Called customer support and they would not help unless I paid for extended warranty. Luckily I had 4 days left on the 1 year standard warranty. Took it in to the Apple store that same night and an employee exchanged it for a new one.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Today's update worked for me on my 3rd generation (March 2012) Apple TV. I had the issue where the Apple TV update failed when it was first released and it put the ATV into recovery mode (my ATV is connected via Ethernet cable). After I recovered it via iTunes it was okay with 6.0. So I guess this was even a newer version of 6.0 since it downloaded it.

----------

Original update bricked my Apple TV. Called customer support and they would not help unless I paid for extended warranty. Luckily I had 4 days left on the 1 year standard warranty. Took it in to the Apple store that same night and an employee exchanged it for a new one.

I had the same issue. The LED in front flashed rapidly and on the screen on my Apple TV after it failed it showed the "connect to iTunes" logo. All I had to do is plug it into my Windows PC running iTunes and it recovered it. Did you try that?

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Have my ATV 2 jailbroken.......no updating or me.

The other Apple TV 3's in my house (2 of them) updated flawlessly the other day though.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA

It should have restarted on its own and taken you to the main Apple TV screen when it was done. When mine failed the other day when they first rolled out 6.0 the LED light on the front of my 3rd gen Apple TV flashed rapidly. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and that is when I saw the "connect to iTunes" graphic. So I just connected it to my Windows PC running iTunes (luckily I had a USB to Micro B cable) and iTunes restored it to the latest version with the factory defaults. I guess kinda like putting an iPhone into DFU mode.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Updated. Well, the keyboard on the iPad remote app no longer pops up reliably. Yet another bug.

Let me see, Apple controls the hardware and the software. There are no limitless hardware configurations out there. This shouldn't be happening.

Why aren't all the apple apps not updated to ios7 yet also? Short on staff, short on money? What's the excuse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.