Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Problem with that is it badly saturates my Wifi bandwidth, having to go Time Capsule -> iPad -> Time Capsule -> Apple TV leaves the stream a blocky mess and is at best an inelegant solution when an iPlayer app would do if apple would just get over themselves and open the Apple TV up to the AppStore properly.

I see what you mean. I don't have the problem as my appletv is connected with ethernet.

----------

Does anyone see videos via Photo Stream on the Atv after the update? I'm still just seeing photos via Photo Stream...

You have to put the videos into a shared photo stream.

http://teachmeios.com/apple-introduces-video-sharing-via-photo-stream-in-ios-7-and-apple-tv-6-0/

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Apple sees no need. Everything you want to play is available legitimately through one of the many online services they support. ;)

Yeah, funny how my Canon camera from several years ago (only 480p video, 8MP camera) outputs AVI files. I'd call those legit. Apple won't play them. I have to convert them first every time.

Grip

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Have they fixed the screen saver/slide show problem? The one where it won't cycle through an entire photo album but rather repeat an arbitrary group of photos within the album?

JonathanBuckley

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Original 6.0 release had "Personalized Ads" button

I don't know if anyone else caught it (I have screen shots) but under Settings, iTunes Store, there was a toggle for "Limit Ad Tracking". I am guessing that a cable-like service is very, very near for Apple. This toggle plus a whole host of big bugs were blown out with the new, new 6.0 Apple TV upgrade.

jdsipod

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Iowa City, IA
So what if I downloaded the Friday version and had a successful install and haven't had any problems with function? Will I need to install this updated version?

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
One of my aTV 3's that updated fine over the weekend ended up "soft-bricked" when I applied this update. Have done a restore and all is good, however it does show that even the revised update isn't perfect.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't know if anyone else caught it (I have screen shots) but under Settings, iTunes Store, there was a toggle for "Limit Ad Tracking". I am guessing that a cable-like service is very, very near for Apple. This toggle plus a whole host of big bugs were blown out with the new, new 6.0 Apple TV upgrade.

Good catch! This is interesting...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Lost nearly all of the photos in photo stream - that's more than an annoyance.

Nothing about needing to restore your Apple TV causes you to lose photos in photostream. They were likely lost based on the ephemeral nature of photostream and thus were not present to be viewed after the restore. But that would be the same with any device. Which is why Apple is quick to note that photostream is not be used as a backup for your photos.

----------

Videos now appear in Photostream courtesy of iOS 7.

But only in shared photostreams. The basic one is still just photos.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I guess have a different definition of 'critical error', cause to me a glitch that causes the need to restore a device that holds basically no data and takes less than ten minutes to set up from scratch is an annoyance not a critical error

It's critical when it costs Apple large amounts on resources dealing with it at Apple Stores and through Apple support. Also realize no information is given on how to fix the issue on the Apple TV itself other than a picture. And many Apple TV owners do not have the micro usb cable to hook up to a computer.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't get a chance to update to the pulled version. But this one forced me to do a restore - my :apple:TV 3 showed a black screen after I cleared the screensaver (I watched something else while it was updating.) That was the last time I saw the screensaver. I only got the same black screen powering it up after that.

I'll find out if it works when I take it back home.

EDIT: It works again.

Last edited:

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Nothing about needing to restore your Apple TV causes you to lose photos in photostream. They were likely lost based on the ephemeral nature of photostream and thus were not present to be viewed after the restore. But that would be the same with any device. Which is why Apple is quick to note that photostream is not be used as a backup for your photos.

You obviously misunderstood me completely. To clarify:

My ATV has been loading pictures from photostream since I purchased it over a year ago. Those photos have resided on the device itself for my family and I to view and enjoy primarily from the screensaver. Apple regularly purges the iCloud photostream to keep only those photos that are less than 90 days old. Upon a device restore, the photos residing in memory are wiped clean and only those remaining in the iCloud photostream are now presented. Yes, I have not "lost" these photos but no longer have them on the ATV. There may in fact be a way to get these back onto my device but I really don't have the additional time it will take to figure it out and implement it. This shouldn't have been my problem to deal with it was not for the sh***y update that Apple put out. It was not my intention to get into an arguement over semantics, I was merely presenting this as an example of more fallout from a poorly implemented update beyond the moderate inconvenience of needing to re-enter account settings. It is something for everyone to consider before applying the next update.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I am not sure if this depends on where you live, but the photostream videos (from shared streams or other) do not show up at all on Apple TV. They show on our iPhones and iPads, but even there they are just a static picture with an ever spinning wheel. This update didn't really improve Apple TV enough. At this rate Apple TV will never be mainstream, it is lacking in almost every aspect.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
My ATV2 sat at approximately 75% of "Step 1 of 2" for over a half hour last night when I did the 6.0 update. It eventually moved on and completed normally.

My guess is that it must have been competing for server bandwidth with all the iOS 7.0.2 release downloads, but there is no way to know for certain based on information the updater shows on the screen.

Just posting that experience in case anyone else sees something similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.