Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Poor Samsung...they are such a nice company...

...I'm dancing with joy as I type this. :p

I wonder if this means that all those Korean students will now be "unemployed" since Samsung will no longer be able to pay them to leave false reviews.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Before people go off on one, please remember the actual results of shipped phones worldwide by Samsung is much higher than Apple:

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-global-smartphone-share-falls-as-apples-remains-static/

In fact Apple has remained stagnant, Samsung has dropped, and all the other manufacturers have increased their numbers... Apple has a very long way to go to be worldwide number one.
Total volume for the year? That's true. But if you look at it in terms of quarterly sales, Apple has come dangerously close to Samsung last quarter, which is quite interesting. It's supposedly 74.5 million vs. around 75~80 million.

It should also be noted that, on a quarterly basis, Apple did briefly hold the #1 title back in 2012 when Nokia and Blackberry were doing a nosedive, and that was with something like 15 to 20% market share. Samsung came over to swoop the title after that and held onto it to this day.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Does "differentiated features" mean "different features," like Touch ID they're going to copy from Apple, or "features to differentiate it" so that it looks less like a design copied from Apple?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple dominates Samsung in the market they compete in. Samsung is the current leader in low-end pseudo smartphones, but how long will that last? all those growing competitors you mentioned are not taking sales from Apple they are hitting Samsung and hitting Samsung hard.

Erm? I just said that the other competitors are hitting Samsung, Apple has remained stagnant? How is that beating Samsung? When it's shipped units haven't changed. Apple competes in the worldwide market of smartphones.

Spott66

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Good point about the lower cost phones eating at their sales as well.

Funny to see statistics about apple not being the biggest seller. There's a difference between a $100 phone and a $600 phone and the markets that buy which. And... For developers, if the people who buy a $100 spend any money on apps. Something to be said for apples customer in the end. It's not apples to apples.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Before people go off on one, please remember the actual results of shipped phones worldwide by Samsung is much higher than Apple:

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-global-smartphone-share-falls-as-apples-remains-static/

In fact Apple has remained stagnant, Samsung has dropped, and all the other manufacturers have increased their numbers... Apple has a very long way to go to be worldwide number one.

Samsung can sell all the phones they want. They still need to make money. And there, my friend, Apple is number one, two, and three.

If Samsung sold their copycat phones for $5 I'll bet they could crow about unit sales numbers all the way to bankruptcy court. After which they wouldn't be making any.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Apple dominates Samsung in the market they compete in. Samsung is the current leader in low-end pseudo smartphones, but how long will that last? all those growing competitors you mentioned are not taking sales from Apple they are hitting Samsung and hitting Samsung hard.

Strange, how making only $5B profit is now seen as a disaster. So a record for Apple 3 years ago, is now seen as poor for someone else today? To quote some folks on here, there are companies all over the planet, leading their sectors who could only dream of numbers like this. There will likely only be 7 or 8 companies this year who could achieve better.

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

And a continued drop in iPad sales is nothing to celebrate either. Apples big sales boost has come from China, the market it just entered. So if the chart in my link is anything to go by, it is other manufactures who have taken Samsungs share and not Apple.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Apple isn't selling the most phones.

I think it's showing that Apple's business model (some people like it, some don't) is profitable. I'm not surprised Samsung is still selling a good enough number of phones. I will always say this is like vehicles. Look at Ford F-150s and Dodge Rams. Are they good trucks? Yes. Do they also sell well because they are cheaper in cost and have big rebates to other truck manufacturers like Toyota? Absolutely a huge factor why people buy them.

Same thing with Samsung phones. Do they work? yes. Are they cheaper? Yes. Then there will be segment of the market still buying them because they can't, for one reason or another, afford a higher priced manufacturer.

Personally, I'll never forget reading 1 of the documents where 1 of the Samsung CEO's declared (ad lib), " get a copy of that iphone, tear it apart and build it."

So I think their crappy business model looks good on them with declining profits.

As for competition, it's not so good.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

And a continued drop in iPad sales is nothing to celebrate either. Apples big sales boost has come from China, the market it just entered. So if the chart in my link is anything to go by, it is other manufactures who have taken Samsungs share and not Apple.

Apple's quarter earnings is the highest of all time of ALL companies. Apple is the only non oil company thats in the top 20. Let that sink in for a bit.

applefanboy28

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2014
The race is not over yet, in fact, it will never end. With Samsung out of the picture, there are other companies catching up to Apple. One example is Xiaomi. Other than blatantly copying Apple's design both hardware and software, Xiaomi managed make their latest phone thinner than the iPhone, beating Apple in it's own game.
Apple has done exceptionally well with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, but they have to continue to step up their game in order to maintain their lead in the market.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Samsung can sell all the phones they want. They still need to make money. And there, my friend, Apple is number one, two, and three.

If Samsung sold their copycat phones for $5 I'll bet they could crow about unit sales numbers all the way to bankruptcy court. After which they wouldn't be making any.

That's because of the 40% profit Apple makes on every phone sold, one day people will realise that. And as for the insult of Samsung copying, such a funny hypocritical comment, considering the Apple Phablet that rips off Android completely in conception.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Amazes me how the overheating rumor keeps getting reported as fact.

That rumor, sourced from Samsung, was debunked by LG recently who is using the Qualcomm 810.

Fact is at CES Samsung was pushing to OEMS, like LG, the Exynos processor as an alternative. They are looking to strongly push their SoC chip business and Qualcomm is squarely in Samsung's very capable 'slander' machines crosshairs.

They are trying to recover from the mobile business losses and the SoC chip business is a major avenue for them. Sadly, unlike Apple, competitors like Qualcomm will find it very hard to defend against Samsung's slander war drums and copy machine.

The problem with LG's debunking is that they had the heating issues at CES. From the Ars article:

Code:
 LG then came to the 810's defense, saying that it hadn't encountered heat problems in its G Flex 2, but (admittedly non-final) hardware on the floor at CES did seem to be having problems with heat.

Also, if you think Samsung was pushing for their CPUs to be used, why didn't they use their CPUs in all world models instead of isolating it to the Koren market?

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes, Samsung enjoyed its success because the larger screen phone market was all to themselves.

After using Samsung Galaxy S4, their software is holding them back, not the materials or design. The software is hideous. S Voice is like Siri in beta. Still no Android Lollipop for S4 owners. You basically have to disable everything the moment you get it out of the box. The first 2 days I got it I almost took it back for a refund because the experience was so bad. but I gulped and decided to give it a go. Well fast forward a year and FINALLY Apple releases a larger screen phone that the people have been begging for. And WOW they were right!

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Well - So Much for "BendGate"

Perhaps this belonged on an earlier thread, idk, but: millions later, many stored in back pockets, vest pockets, purses, back-packs, shoes, et al, and it looks like this was, more than ever, a hyped-up non-event in an effort to prevent the inevitable from happening - however, I didn't think that Samsung would take such a nasty hit so soon (I use a Note for work and love it - but would never use one for personal use as the iPhone simply edges it out with numerous small details I can't live without).

I'm sure there are some damaged phones out there, but, then, there will always be...

Buying my 6 Plus tomorrow!

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I don't think anyone is disputing that Apple isn't selling the most phones.

I think it's showing that Apple's business model (some people like it, some don't) is profitable. I'm not surprised Samsung is still selling a good enough number of phones. I will always say this is like vehicles. Look at Ford F-150s and Dodge Rams. Are they good trucks? Yes. Do they also sell well because they are cheaper in cost and have big rebates to other truck manufacturers like Toyota? Absolutely a huge factor why people buy them.

Same thing with Samsung phones. Do they work? yes. Are they cheaper? Yes. Then there will be segment of the market still buying them because they can't, for one reason or another, afford a higher priced manufacturer.

Personally, I'll never forget reading 1 of the documents where 1 of the Samsung CEO's declared (ad lib), " get a copy of that iphone, tear it apart and build it."

So I think their crappy business model looks good on them with declining profits.

As for competition, it's not so good.

Remember, whilst Apple is making hay in China presently, Chinese manufacturers will soonn be making hay in Apples' (and Samsungs) traditional markets very soon. Whiost Apple has done well with 40% growth, some of these manufacturers have quadrupled their volumes this year. Samsung are seeing the impact of these manufacturers and no one, even Apple are going to be immune.

Last edited:

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I'm not sure why I even bother to read the comments. Most people get into childish wars of what company is best. Who cares? None of those conpanies care about us. They only care about profit. We only benefit from competition. If a company "dies" then the other company is able to sell us $50 phones for $1,000. Apple and Samsung are already headed that way and people seem to not care about being ripped off.

Spott66

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Talking about apple copying for making a bigger phone is weak. The size of the screen is really a special design feature? Here are some real game changers that were copied by Google / Samsung:

-The App Store
-The full screen touch interface (look at apples argument of Samsung phones before and after the iPhone). That is hands down the biggest innovation to date.
-Touch ID

How does the size of the screen even compare to those. Did every company who was not the first, but made an 80 inch tv "copy" a crucial design of the first one??

Apple made a large screen way before everyone else. It was a year before "tablets" TRIED to completely copy the iPad.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
That's because of the 40% profit Apple makes on every phone sold, one day people will realise that. And as for the insult of Samsung copying, such a funny hypocritical comment, considering the Apple Phablet that rips off Android completely in conception.

How nice for you to be so far ahead of all of us fools throwing our money away. And how evil of Apple to copy Samsu...HTC by ...of all the nerve...increasing the size of their phone!! Don't they know only Sams...HTC can be allowed to make anything over five inches? It's downright criminal!!

Stop embarrassing yourself.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Funny, how making only $5B profit is now seen as a disaster. So a record for Apple 3 years ago, is now seen as poor for someone else today? To quote some folks on here, there are companies all over the planet, leading their sectors who could only dream of numbers like this. There will likely only be 7 or 8 companies this year who could achieve better.

I don't think anybody is suggesting $5B is a disaster or if they are, it's not for now.

The bigger picture is this:

1. Samsung focused so much on Apple that instead of taking profits from Apple, they're in fact losing profits to other competitors that are doing a better job instead.
2. Samsung got a bigger profit from selling CPUs to Apple and others. They have to realize it's stupid to fight Apple when they could make more money from Apple selling more hardware made by Samsung's fabs (and also other companies using Samsung's fabs as well). Don't focus too much on fighting for the high-end market, focus on getting your stuff in everyone's device, so it doesn't matter who wins in the end
3. Samsung will have a harder time recovering from these Chinese companies than Apple as Apple isn't even in the same market with these companies. With these companies taking up the low end market and Apple taking up the high end market, it's going to be hard for Samsung to try to fight all of them at once. Samsung needs a bigger hit now than they ever had in the past to recover the losses.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Talking about apple copying for making a bigger phone is weak. The size of the screen is really a special design feature? Here are some real game changers that were copied by Google / Samsung:

-The App Store
-The full screen touch interface (look at apples argument of Samsung phones before and after the iPhone). That is hands down the biggest innovation to date.
-Touch ID

How does the size of the screen even compare to those. Did every company who was not the first, but made an 80 inch tv "copy" a crucial design of the first one??

Apple made a large screen way before everyone else. It was a year before "tablets" TRIED to completely copy the iPad.

It's the blind leading the blind on here. App stores existed before either Google or Apple had theirs and fingerprint sensors existed on phones before either. Odd as it might seem, Apple didn't create the earth in seven days either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.