Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Before people go off on one, please remember the actual results of shipped phones worldwide by Samsung is much higher than Apple

People aren't rubbing it into Samsung because they are doing badly, people are rubbing it into journalists who were quick to declare that Apple were going to crash due to Apple not making a cheap phone when Samsung has plenty. This proves that people are willing to pay for a premium phone if they think it's worth it, and that pure sales numbers/market share don't necessarily mean profits.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
People aren't rubbing it into Samsung because they are doing badly, people are rubbing it into journalists who were quick to declare that Apple were going to crash due to Apple not making a cheap phone when Samsung has plenty. This proves that people are willing to pay for a premium phone if they think it's worth it, and that pure sales numbers/market share don't necessarily mean profits.

I haven't seen any evidence of this at all, just the usual Mac Rumors childish comment.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I travel to most major U.S. cities every year.

Never have I seen so many people own current generation iPhones. Everyone and their mom has an iPhone 6. It's not just on paper.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It's the blind leading the blind on here. App stores existed before either Google or Apple had theirs and fingerprint sensors existed on phones before either. Odd as it might seem, Apple didn't create the earth in seven days either.

They made all those things mainstream.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wait, if this is Samsung's fifth straight quarter of declines, how can it mark their first annual decline? Four straight quarters of decline has to be an annual decline, so shouldn't that have been last quarter?

Spott66

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Fair enough. But I think you can agree that Apple has defied all journalist expectations.

I remember the headlines about Apple stock dropping because Samsung had a phone that you could touch on the side...... They too like phandroids jump at any gimmick.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Chip maker Qualcomm also reported its own earnings today [PDF], and noted the loss of a major customer thought to be Samsung. Samsung's Galaxy S6 is unlikely to feature the Snapdragon 810 processor due to issues with overheating, and the South Korean company may opt to use its own chips instead.

I never realized that before, and it's kind of hilarious, actually:

Samsung makes their own chips, but they don't even use them, instead selling them to Apple and buying Qualcomm's chips.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Face it. Samsung has peaked a while ago around the time the S3 was popular and will never come back as strong as they were before. They are getting squeezed at all market ends. Especially in the profitable premium phone market segment you have Apple with their now bigger screen offerings, which seem to be a popular choice - and then a lot of Android fans increasingly choose other brands, as they offer:
  • better value for money
  • less convoluted UI
  • more responsive UI and system performance (users nowadays getting less fooled by benchmarks)
  • more attractive design

Of course the article headline is a bit of flame bait, though. Samsung's mobile profit has been going downhill for quite some time. Nothing new or surprising here.

Last edited by a moderator:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I haven't seen any evidence of this at all, just the usual Mac Rumors childish comment.

It really wouldn't hurt you to acknowledge one single time that Apple has been doing something right, you know?

Oh wait, probably it WOULD hurt you :D .

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I love all the Samsung doom and gloom here, especially considering Samsung's profits are in the trillions and Apple's profits are only in the billions.

Not to mention Samsung producing most of the next iPhone's chips.

Yeah, Samsung's definitely on their way out. :cool:

MacRumors: Keeping it funny, one article at a time.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Makes sense to me and it has to do with Apple and Samsung business models. Apple is focused on making everyone exchanging phones constantly in US. This approach depends highly on cooperation with carriers.

Samsung, on the other hand, is focused on emerging markets and countries where subsidies is not the primary method of acquiring a phone. The fault of Samsung comes from the way it sells phones, that is, its business model is pretty simple: you go to a store, ask the seller for the model you want and pay for it.

Also, Samsung phones usually have replaceable batteries and SD-card slots. You can keep your phone usable a bit longer. I know that batteries from iPhones usually last longer than Samsung ones, but once an iPhone battery reached its lifecycle, you'll probably think on buying a new phone.

There is nothing to do with innovation from a user's perspective. It's innovation from the seller's perspective.

Spott66

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
I love all the Samsung doom and gloom here, especially considering Samsung's profits are in the trillions and Apple's profits are only in the billions.

Not to mention Samsung producing most of the next iPhone's chips.

Yeah, Samsung's definitely on their way out. :cool:

Ummmm currency conversion? Now that's creative stat use.....

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Excellent news. And it seems all the usual Samsung suspects that used to vehemently frequent these forums are strangely absent as of late.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Excellent news. Not surprisingly, all the usual Samsung suspects that used to vehemently frequent these forums are strangly absent as of late.

My guess is they've moved on to slightly less fanboyish sites to get their mobile news.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

It's true. Samsung makes more than enough money to stay in business.

Galaxy S phones will be around for the foreseeable future. Better get used to it.

Besides, Apple needs Samsung's ideas to stay in the lead.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Total volume for the year? That's true. But if you look at it in terms of quarterly sales, Apple has come dangerously close to Samsung last quarter, which is quite interesting. It's supposedly 74.5 million vs. around 75~80 million.

It should also be noted that, on a quarterly basis, Apple did briefly hold the #1 title back in 2012 when Nokia and Blackberry were doing a nosedive, and that was with something like 15 to 20% market share. Samsung came over to swoop the title after that and held onto it to this day.

What makes this even more impressive is that Apple's sales consists entirely of high-end, high-margin devices whereas the majority of Samsung's numbers are made up of low-mid end low profit devices.

----------

Strange, how making only $5B profit is now seen as a disaster. So a record for Apple 3 years ago, is now seen as poor for someone else today? To quote some folks on here, there are companies all over the planet, leading their sectors who could only dream of numbers like this. There will likely only be 7 or 8 companies this year who could achieve better.

The thing is that it's a continuation of a downward spiral in profit and continues to go lower. Investors want growth and this is showing a long trend of decline. It's pretty bad relative to where they were before and it doesn't look like they'll ever get back to where they used to be.

It's pretty safe to say at this point that Samsung challenging Apple in mobile is a thing of past. It looks like Xiaomi is the next tech media darling who will finally bring the "doom" to Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.