Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
iOS 7 will definitely be an overhaul, even if primarily design driven rather than function.

Apple is very capable of rolling out massive changes within a year's time.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think the beginning of the iOS 7 stared some months before the launch of iOS6, so untill june 1 year will pass. So anybody has anynews about the fingerprint feature? link pls

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
There is nothing they can do to make iOS less stale as some would say without using more energy.

Again, not true. Adding the ability to share with any app uses more battery? Adding the ability to replace app defaults uses more battery? Widgets/live info isn't the only feature that missing that makes iOS stale. And there is a huge difference between using more battery, and using more battery that makes an appreciable difference in daily battery life.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Id say they are pretty much out of ideas. One of their new big ideas last year was their own in house mapping with turn by turn. That's not even new technology. The only thing new was the 3D flyover which is a gimmick if anything. Apple was just wanting to do it themselves and it flopped big time.

That's not out of ideas, that's called Apple's grudge match with Google taking a front seat at the customer's expense. They wanted off of Google maps and to quit paying Google for the map licenses ASAP and rushed their Maps as a result.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
iOS 7 beta 1 might be soon, if you guys look at iOS 3 as an example it went to 3.1.3, and we are on 6.1.3, so 7.0 (if Apple plans to unveil for a June release again) might be soon previewed, I am still awaiting OS X 10.9, which I know 10.8.3 should be the last OS X build since they spent so much time to get it correct and finally release it.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
iOS 7 beta 1 might be soon, if you guys look at iOS 3 as an example it went to 3.1.3, and we are on 6.1.3, so 7.0 (if Apple plans to unveil for a June release again) might be soon previewed, I am still awaiting OS X 10.9, which I know 10.8.3 should be the last OS X build since they spent so much time to get it correct and finally release it.

If the rumors of a return to an earlier/summer iPhone release are true, then likely we will also see iOS 7 earlier than we saw iOS 6 last year.

But for this to happen, then iOS 7 (likely with 10.9) will need to be previewed at an Apple event before the end of April, IMO.

This is also when they will hopefully unveil the new Mac Pros.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
If the rumors of a return to an earlier/summer iPhone release are true, then likely we will also see iOS 7 earlier than we saw iOS 6 last year.

But for this to happen, then iOS 7 (likely with 10.9) will need to be previewed at an Apple event before the end of April, IMO.

This is also when they will hopefully unveil the new Mac Pros.

So I'm guessing something HUGE is coming in April and its not just the Mac Pros. However with OS X 10.9, it COULD be announced at WWDC since they've done it with Snow Leopard, I may be wrong though. For me, right now, April is a safe bet since Apple holds one event in Spring and since an iPad event is out of the question, most likely we will see an iOS/OS X event.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I echo the widgets comments. I want them! At least give the negative nellies a way to turn them off. But I loved that about android. Getting updated info even like windows mobiles tiles is great too. It's just those OS' are terrible. But man would I love to be up to date like android. The wonder effect has been lost and its time to keep up. The S4 looks amazing and if I wasn't so deep in the apple ecosystem I would switch. Everyone here secretly knows android and Samsung are out doing iOS and apple, they just don't want to accept it. I just wish apple would listen to consumers more instead of force a tyrannical, Orwellian OS on us.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I echo the widgets comments. I want them! At least give the negative nellies a way to turn them off. But I loved that about android. Getting updated info even like windows mobiles tiles is great too. It's just those OS' are terrible. But man would I love to be up to date like android. The wonder effect has been lost and its time to keep up. The S4 looks amazing and if I wasn't so deep in the apple ecosystem I would switch. Everyone here secretly knows android and Samsung are out doing iOS and apple, they just don't want to accept it. I just wish apple would listen to consumers more instead of force a tyrannical, Orwellian OS on us.

You will never see widgets on the current ios form like you can enjoy on android os, it just dont flow and i dare to say that current screen size of the iphone 5 and 4/s just wont allow a proper field for it.

They sure as hell wont waste time with clock and weather widgets, you allready haventhe time on the status bar plus a weather widget on the notification center, i rather they open api for it so whe can see developer have a share of that.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
This looks awesome!!

Attachments

• ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png.jpeg
    ios_7_concept__dashboard_by_theintenseplayer-d5gzwlt.png.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 264

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
This looks awesome!!

Not to me - instead of having a lot of applications on a page it has big pictures - don't want - no thanks.
I want applications and not fancy screens.

I'll bet if someone actually listed all the things that were introduced in ios6 there'd be a huge number of significant changes and not only a failed map application.
Apple and Google are no more going to get along than the different political parties in the US. Neither group is interested in anything except being able to claim(whether true or not) that they won.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Where Apple is with the current stable bug fix releases has nothing to do when they are going to roll out a major update. The same development team isn't the same one working on the bug fix releases. More than likely the time frame has more to do when the new iPhone is rolling out.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
To be honest, I don't really need them to overhaul the entire look and feel of iOS for me to be happy. In my opinion, if you have a good user interface, sometimes it's best to just keep it as it is, and only change things when you think of a good idea. Look at OS X for example... OS X hasn't changed much in terms of look and feel since it was introduced over 10 years ago. What they have done is they have tweaked things here and there to make it look nicer and run smoother and that's all that iOS really needs. If iOS 7 just looks a little bit nicer and carries at least a couple of useful features, I will probably be happy.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
And then they'll be b#tching about sucky battery life.

Welcome to widgets and dead batteries, the Android way of life! ;-)

Why are people so obsessed with widgets? And if Apple adds them to iOS everyone will say they're so out of ideas they're reduced to ripping off Android.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Honestly, iOS 7 will probably not have any of these. Apple is not going to drastically alter anything because millions of people use their devices and they cater more to the casual user than the techie user.

I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and was amazed to find out I could get elegant solutions to most of these problems now. Today. All I had to do was download evasion, plug in my phone, and hit one button. I now have simple toggles in my notification center than resemble something Apple would do themselves with NC Settings. I have a better multitasking solution with Auxo. I have gesture controls with Zephyr. I can swipe up from anywhere to reveal the multitasking tray. I can swipe between open apps. With iFile I have a file manager even though I hardly use it. And with safari download manager I can download files through safari. All of these do not look ugly and look like a solution Apple would have come up with. My battery is the same and my phone has not crashed once.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Article: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-ios-7-wont-be-a-major-overhaul-2013-3

It seems that a lot of people on here expect iOS 7 to be fresh and new due to Forstall's ouster and Ive's inclusion as part of the iOS team, but as the article linked above states, not much can be done in 6 months of product development. So don't be disappointed for WWDC this year.

Considering this, what do you expect from iOS 7? Will it be another iOS 6? Or something more?

iOS 7 is already in testing since end of last year, so the reference to 6 months is kinda unreliable.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/01/2013-iphone-and-ios-7-already-appearing-in-developers-logs/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.