Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
But Maps was a disaster, the service part anyway.

Apple was dumb dropping Google Maps so soon. Not because Apple shouldn't try it's hand at maps, but it should have given it a few more years to be complete. In 2012 when Apple maps launched, Google Maps already had a 9 year head start. (Development started in 2003 by Where 2 Technologies. Aquired by Google in 2004. Google Maps launched in 2005.)

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Good for him. I'm sure this would be a thrill for many people and he seems excited by it. A passion we didn't know he had.

I am not arguing whether his design style or the current style is 'better', but the way Apple did him in was wrong. Too much of the bickering details leaked out to us, and too many jabs at him were thrown at the iOS 7 unveiling.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
This is the first time he has officially surfaced since being fired from Apple.

I don't see how this isn't newsworthy. It is.

Everyone seems to think he doesn't matter just because he's been away from Apple.

Last edited:

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
This is the first time he has officially surfaced since being fired from Apple.
I don't see how this isn't newsworthy. It is.

Of course is newsworthy, we're talking about the father of the iPhone here. Also, everyone knows Steve loved Scott and agreed with him everytime. Tim Cook and friends took Steve's death as an opportunity to fire him.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
It was then I realized just how deep this design ideology went at Apple.

The one thing I did like about Forstall is he ran a tip top ship. I have seen quality slip since he left in 2012. IOS6 was the most polished bug free IOS i ever had. But Maps was a disaster, the service part anyway.

It's not a fair comparison. ios6 had 6 years to become what it became. just like snow leopard was MUCH better than panther or whatever there was. I bet you anythhing you won't say the same when iOS 11 is released.
I'm glad iOS evolved. By the iOS 6 it became so boring i was ready to switch. Don't get me wrong, it's not that i hated it.. it worked fine. It was just the same old stuff. year after year.

Last edited:

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I assume if he produced The Book of Mormon, it'd look like an actual book.

----------

Of course is newsworthy, we're talking about the father of the iPhone here. Also, everyone knows Steve loved Scott and agreed with him everytime. Tim Cook and friends took Steve's death as an opportunity to fire him.

I believe they took the Maps fiasco and his ability to alienate and piss off co-workers as a reason to fire him.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
And in a similarly interesting twist, Broadway diva extrordinaire Bette Midler was just announced as the new VP of Interface Design at Apple!

article-2169020-13ED3FFB000005DC-739_634x606.jpg

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Apple was dumb dropping Google Maps so soon. Not because Apple shouldn't try it's hand at maps, but it should have given it a few more years to be complete. In 2012 when Apple maps launched, Google Maps already had a 9 year head start. (Developed started in 2003 by Where 2 Technologies. Aquired by Google in 2004. Google Maps launched in 2005.)

But this forced Google to develop a very very nice Google Maps app on the App store with turn by turn.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Steve is dead. Time to move on.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Apple was dumb dropping Google Maps so soon. Not because Apple shouldn't try it's hand at maps, but it should have given it a few more years to be complete. In 2012 when Apple maps launched, Google Maps already had a 9 year head start. (Developed started in 2003 by Where 2 Technologies. Aquired by Google in 2004. Google Maps launched in 2005.)

I don't think Apple was dumb in dropping GMaps. The end result has been improvements in both mapping applications. Without the competition, Google may not have seen the need to improve maps on iOS and elsewhere. Where I do think Apple was dumb was setting the expectation that Maps would be the equivalent of/better than GMaps. That was a set up for failure that should have been readily apparent. Apple is so used to introducing everything with superlatives. The best, the most, stunningly, unapologetically, thinnest, etc. So it's understandable they followed form when intro'ing Maps. Understandable, but still stupid. The product was not ready for prime time. Had they set the right expectation, it might not have gone as bad as it did.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I really miss Scott's skeuomorphic design elements.

Apple IOS design is now sterile, glaring blind you at night bright white and red. Who ever thought that the current UI design was an improvement? It's horrible.

And the way he was pushed out of Apple shows that the slogan "think different" only applies to those in political favor.

I'm happy to see that the scapegoat is doing well in some other endeavor.

Yay Scott Forstall !!!

I totally agree. Those design elements are a huge reason I became an Apple fan in the first place. They provided a very warm, natural feeling the UI that is now totally absent. I'm still on iOS 6 on my iPhone, but apps are starting to lose support for it, so I might have to finally move on.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Notwithstanding his "electric personality" akin to Jobs himself, I am a fan of Forstall, his Keynotes and of course skeuomorphic design. I still have it on my 4S. I will soon get a 6S and be past that, but I suspect Broadway plays do not conform well to skeuomorphic design.

That said, Apple CEO Cook put team stability and cheer above any loyalty to Forstall. Why couldn't he just conform? :D

Rocketman

Scott has plenty of money. Time to live happy and free. Free rocket anytime, sir.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Definitely a shocking headline but at least he isn't dead! That would have been sad because even though iOS 7 and 8 look better IMO, he did help father the iPhone to what it is today.

Now, I wonder what he had to do to get the handle @forstall. It had to have been used by someone else before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.