Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Come on, people! It was either this, or start a venture capital firm. Which do you think is more fun, going out for drinks after a Keynote, or an opening night party at Sardi's?

Still... I keep having visions of Scott writing checks to Max Bialystock.

Poll Questions:

1) Zero Mostel or Nathan Lane
2) Gene Wilder or Matthew Broderick

Max: The two cardinal rules of producing are one: Never put your own money in the show.
Leo: And two?
Max: [yelling] Never put your own money in the show!

Well, it's too late now. Break a leg, Scott!

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
Well, at least this is about a former Apple person and not just another celebrity with a free watch. Still not front page stuff though.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
good for him.

Is there anyone on this forum, myself included, even remotely successful & talented as he is so far?

anyone?

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
A former iOS Chief that's now a Broadway Producer is equivalent to a former Broadway Producer that is now a Home Depot Manager.

Both positions are below the other and a joke, really.

If you're not trolling and are instead actually being serious then I don't even know what to say.

Also, this may be mindblowing but sometimes in life people move on to new ventures, new careers, new scenes, etc. Not everyone wants to live in the Silicon Valley bubble for their entire lives. Again, mindblowing, right?!

calebkingston

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
If you're not trolling and are instead actually being serious then I don't even know what to say.

Also, this may be mindblowing but sometimes in life people move on to new ventures, new careers, new scenes, etc. Not everyone wants to live in the Silicon Valley bubble for their entire lives. Again, mindblowing, right?!

Yes, I am serious. I think Scott was good at skeumorphism and I know he loved his job and the influence he had in everyones user experience with his OS designs.. I believe, if he could, he'd rather be doing software UI/UX in a big way like he did at apple but he can't get out of a narrow design mind, can't work well with a team and the world doesn't want skeumorphism anymore... So I'm sorry if I don't find broadway musicals as "making a dent in the universe" (as jobs used to say) but I think we can all agree, even if he loves the musical and play biz it's a step down in more ways than not. ;)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I honestly don't understand why some people here are hating on Scott Forstall. While I will agree that posting this type of news is way beyond the model of what people come to expect from MacRumors, I'm not sure it deserved negative feedback about Scott.

Whatever he was behind the scenes (which is NONE of anyone's business here) was between him and Apple. When Scott would come on the stage at the keynotes and demo the products he always appeared very laid back, super friendly and appeared to enjoy his job at Apple. He was my favorite keynote demonstrator.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Surprised he can use that photo as his profile picture. It probably belongs to Apple.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

On some level this feels to me as if he is still attached to his former position at Apple. And I don't want to say that this is actually the case, it just what this photo evokes for me. Which on the one hand would be great, that he can think back to that without having bitter feelings but could on the other hand mean that he might still not be over it.

But maybe it is just me, that while I think firing Scott was overall a good decision for Apple, it must really suck for him, having been forced out of would looked like something he really was invested in. In particular given that other former Apple executives like Rubinstein or Tony Fadell managed to run companies related to their former work.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
gotta agree with you there. my iphones, used to be a joy to use. since 7 and then 8, i found myself frustrated and angry with my phones more and more and more. ended up switching a few months ago. i no longer get angry at my phone. its the little things really... like camera telling me 6,000,000 times that my location accuracy will be improved if wifi is on. im very well aware of that detail by now, iphone, thank you for making me miss the moment i was trying to capture. iOS6 told me a couple times then figured out that i got it by that point and stopped telling me. However IOS7 and 8 simply assume that im too stupid to know i turned my wifi off "accidentally" or something and reminds me of the fact. constantly.

Same with the facebook app, and a handful of other apps. It irritates me when I turn WiFi off on purpose because the carrier WiFi that my phone will just grab onto when I am close is 10x slower than my cellular data. Then I go to check facebook, and immediately get that annoying message. despite just having turned WiFi off myself just seconds previously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.