Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Actually, there were already a line-up of such 7 inch or close to tablets on the market before even the iPad was announced. See Nokia's line of Maemo Internet tablets (the 700, n800, n810).

I don't really remember any 7 inch tablets prior to iPad. Of course there may as weel not have been any because Apple changed the entire tablet market with iPad. Competing manufacturers could only attempt to not drown. In my opinion, Apple did not choose to avoid 7 inch iPads due to low sales of any other tablets. They just believed and still believe that 9.7 is the sweet spot. Had they put their design talents to the test, they could have delivered a very successful 7 inch iPad.

I really don't think the "retina" display makes all other sub-standard. Quite the contrary, I absolutely despise my friend's SAMOLED+ 800x480 screen. It just looks so good compared to what you find on iPhones, screw the extra pixels.

And yes, my point was the trend was increased pixel counts. Apple followed that trend. Same reason that leads me to believe we might get a screen size bump on the iPhone 5 (not definitive, but a definite chance).

I disagree. Retina is still amazing and one of the best displays around. Other phone makers have since done a good job of improving their displays and trying to catch the iPhone in this regard, but when iP4 came out there was nothing even close.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Why do I keep getting the feeling that there is no "cheaper iPhone 4S" and a totally revamped iPhone 5...I know others have said it, but we still have not gotten any information other than cases made in China that there is this fabled iPhone 5 to be released this year. All the parts that have come out have been revised parts that have been assigned to the "iPhone 4S." Also, correct me if I am wrong here, I have not heard of any other devices that have been found in the iOS builds other than the "N94", which again is assigned to the "iPhone 4S." So where are the references to the iPhone 5? :confused:

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I am curious if iPhone 5 will have higher screen resolution. If it does not, the phone will be severely underspecced compared to Android flagship phone Samsung Galaxy Prime which is rumored to have resolution 1280x800 (66% increase over iPhone resolution)

So you are comparing the specs of an iPhone 5, which has not been announced or released, to a Samsung phone that has not been announced or released? Good luck with that.

Also, in your opinion, at what point do pixel count increases that are already beyond human optical perception become pointless?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So you are comparing the specs of an iPhone 5, which has not been announced or released, to a Samsung phone that has not been announced or released? Good luck with that.

Also, in your opinion, at what point do pixel count increases that are already beyond human optical perception become pointless?

Increasing pixel count is not the same as increasing pixel density. Galaxy Prime is expected to have larger screen - 4.65".

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Why do I keep getting the feeling that there is no "cheaper iPhone 4S" and a totally revamped iPhone 5...I know others have said it, but we still have not gotten any information other than cases made in China that there is this fabled iPhone 5 to be released this year. All the parts that have come out have been revised parts that have been assigned to the "iPhone 4S." Also, correct me if I am wrong here, I have not heard of any other devices that have been found in the iOS builds other than the "N94", which again is assigned to the "iPhone 4S." So where are the references to the iPhone 5? :confused:

Assigned by who exactly? If Apple hasn't divulged any concrete information (which they haven't), then who says anything that has been written is even correct?

Two things are for sure in this whole thing...

1. There will be another iPhone
AND
2. It won't be released or announced today.

Everything else is up in the air until we hear from Steve, Tim, Phil, Jony, and/or Scott. Give it some time and we should know a lot more.

----------

Increasing pixel count is not the same as increasing pixel density. Galaxy Prime is expected to have larger screen - 4.65".

It will definitely have a much larger screen than iPhone if they go with 4.65 inches. But my question still stands. At some point even android phones will stop increasing their screen size, and at that time they will get to a point where higher resolutions (pixel count/density) will not be perceivable by the human eye. The iPhone retina display is amazingly high res, and an increase would definitely cost us more, but would not be perceivable by the human eye. So why so focused on continuing to improve this if we can't see a difference?

Flipt

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I am gonna wait till the next generation as i have a iPhone 4 in canada and paid 700 bucks for it to be unlocked. i aint no millionaire so i can't just throw money away. But i am glad that its another big improvement other then a small one.....hopefully. cuz then i know that there is a big improvement from 4 to 6.

Cheers

This is exactly the reason i still have my 3GS. For me even if the design doesnt change it will be a big upgrade for me. I think skipping a generation is the best option unless you have lots of spare cash as your phone will still be perfectly usable. :)

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Same here too. Even though I did buy an android to try something new, I will be getting the next generation iPhone or iPod touch (if it has 3G ) to replace my 3GS. To me it makes sense to buy an apple product every other year whether it be phone, iPad or computer. All the kinks are worked out and you get a superior product compared to the last generation.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
This is honestly getting ridicules. We are supposed to have this phone in our hands this month or next month, yet we don't know jack **** about it.

How can Apple expect to keep this up? They will eventually loose customers if they keep this up.

themackidya

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
Hi, just to let you know iphone 5 is going to be released around October in the middle and its going to be announce at the end of September. Its not going to be a revamp either. I got this information from a AT&T dealer. I asked the source and he said apple told AT&T iphone 5 is going to be released on October.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Am I the only one that will be sorely disappointed if the new iPhone is just a bump after waiting so long? I would've been ok with a bump had it gone on sale back in July, but these extra few months better mean a new product.

everyone is going to hate me for saying this but if its not at a minimum dual core processor and 1gig of RAM i'll be going with a different phone

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know about Foxconn, but MacRumors seems like it's hitting 150,000 Rumors per day. Can't we consolidate all of these into a single "We have nothing really of value to say, but let's post it anyway" tab ?

Seriously, at this point, the iPhone 5 is a 2.5" device with a 5" screen, it has a tapered and very slim design that is the same as the iPhone 4's case with a LTE world chip available in seperate GSM and CDMA models with only HSPA+ running off a single core Cortex A8 processor that is the A5 found in the iPad 2.

(Yes, I know none of that makes sense... kind of the point of what I'm trying to say).

It's to the point where it's not even rumors anymore, it's just idle speculation about everything, nothing and anything Apple could do.

I really do get where you're coming from, but this is MacRumors.com, not MacConfirmedFacts.com. The ongoing, conflicting speculation is why the site exists.

Flipt

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
This is honestly getting ridicules. We are supposed to have this phone in our hands this month or next month, yet we don't know jack **** about it.

How can Apple expect to keep this up? They will eventually loose customers if they keep this up.

You're right we dont know anything about the new phone, but this is how Apple usually roll. If they want to announce something of value then they will have a keynote for it. There has never been a delay with the launch because Apple has never given any confirmed dates. For all the people that are tired of waiting then please feel free and get a different product....leaves more available for those prepared to actually wait. Im sure Apple wouldnt even notice a dint in there profits without your sale.

Hi, just to let you know iphone 5 is going to be released around October in the middle and its going to be announce at the end of September. Its not going to be a revamp either. I got this information from a AT&T dealer. I asked the source and he said apple told AT&T iphone 5 is going to be released on October.

You will probably get ridiculed for the 'I have spoken to X and they said it will be available X' quote as it has been said so many times on here before. I kind of agree that we will see a keynote mid to end Sept with a launch beg to mid Oct, this will actually be in 'Fall' when iOS5 was announced to be released.

All the same i cant wait, but i guess we will have to LOL

yrsued

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Peoria, AZ
3) IOS is boring, andoid with widgets and a "real" not "cartoony" feel really seems interesting to me...

Then I have a great deal for you!!

Please, take my Droid Incredible from me.

I'll give you a great deal, now that I know you like Android that much.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
The iPhone 5 hasn't been packaged as yet. Other than because iOS 5 is nearly reaching it's GM state, I believe that this reduces the chance of leaks a lot.

If anything, I believe we can expect an iPhone 5 leak the day before the event.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Im perfectly fine with my iphone 4...I'm barely expecting a spec bump and maybe a larger screen. I'll be getting a 5 regardless since I had a little "accident" with my 4.

The only thing I really want is rounded edgers and a metal back. The original iphone still has the best ergonomics.

Its interesting how since nothing has been leaked, and we all know how tight Apple is on security, people automatically assume it will be no big change. Perhaps Apple has a little trick up its sleeve in regards to manufacturing and actually succeeded in preventing picture release this time....

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Glad to know that my future phone is being assembled as I type this :cool:

Nice :cool:
I was just on engaget reading about the newer fast stacked DRAM, and and a single 4G modem chip design, this news made me go NOO! because now I have to wait for these things to go onto the next iPhone :p

sm.wilson

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
if you were an advanced user and jailbroke your phone 2 years ago you would know that the notifcation system was done by the same person who built notifier pro, then got hired by apple to do the same for them.. its all old news and if not for a possible bigger screen... I wouldnt be waiting for the 5,

Cool. Not everybody is a user that chooses to use 3rd party software to run their phone. With zero professional support for the device at that point, most users(myself included) choose not to slow down and convolute an already very polished system.

You seem to be implying that non-jailbreakers are complete novices. I feel like you're just being ignorant.

And nobody cares that the jailbreak community had a half-baked notification center two years ago; people care about what Apple will implement and support.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
As i mentioned in another post, i think apple may not do the usual press invite and media event. I can see them doing a "direct from infinite loop" streaming event. They don't need the press there, everyones on the edge of their seat waiting for any kind of news anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.