Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
12246705_10153611632662860_1230854170053092358_n.jpg

Be extremely careful with your watch, especially when washing your hands. Mine slipped off and fell into the sink, no more than a hand's length in terms of height. It landed on the side and the screen instantly shattered. Took it to the Apple Store and they wanted US$229 to fix, which is more than half the price of a new Sport Watch. That's very crazy. I've dropped Casios and Tag Heure watches from higher distances and they barely scratched.

Not a good advertisement for a product when I'll be going into meetings and social events with a busted watch face like this.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Be extremely careful with your watch, especially when washing your hands. Mine slipped off and fell into the sink, no more than a hand's length in terms of height. It landed on the side and the screen instantly shattered. Took it to the Apple Store and they wanted US$229 to fix, which is more than half the price of a new Sport Watch. That's very crazy. I've dropped Casios and Tag Heure watches from higher distances and they barely scratched.

Not a good advertisement for a product when I'll be going into meetings and social events with a busted watch face like this.

Traditional watches like Tag and others have less exposed glass surface and whatever is exposed is surrounded by a casing that acts like a cushion.

How exactly did your watch slip off your wrist and fall?

superdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
For some reason I managed to unhook the strap while cleaning my wrists. Was a long day on the bike and was covered in road dust. It just fell off. I'm guessing the soap lubricated the strap and it just slid off.

Next time definitely need AppleCare+. You can't even buy it after 60-days, no one tells you that when you buy the watch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers man :(

I think a potential weak point is the curved section of the watch. I sometimes put on the watch the Luvvitt Ultra Amor and that protects the face of the watch and watch face.

Given the design, and fragile nature of the watch, a +1 on getting applecare.

dangeng

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
I actually don't really believe this...sorry!!
I don't think it is so "bad" material...
Also there seem to be a scratch or dent on the left side of the watch where the glass shattered,
it really does not look to me like it only fell in a sink.
A sink would never make this kind of damage...

Anyway, feel sorry for you in any case!!

dangeng

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
Is it maybe possible that you hit the faucet while washing you hands, and because of that the
screen shattered and it fell of your wrist...??

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
For some reason I managed to unhook the strap while cleaning my wrists. Was a long day on the bike and was covered in road dust. It just fell off. I'm guessing the soap lubricated the strap and it just slid off.

Next time definitely need AppleCare+. You can't even buy it after 60-days, no one tells you that when you buy the watch.
Everytime I've bought a product from Apple they ask me if I want to add AppleCare and if not that I have 60 days to add it. I'm thinking I might do it after reading this thread :p.

Crazy that it costs $229 to replace the Apple Watch screen while it cost $129 for an iPhone screen replacement.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee

Sorry man. I'm amazed at the repair cost.

superdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
The sink is made from stone/porcelain. I don't know if that makes any difference. I've dropped my glasses in there before but nothing seemed to break. I couldn't believe it either when I picked it back up and the glass shattered like that.

Yeah it totally blows. The cost is not really replacing the screen, maybe they don't offer that kind of service where I live? The Genius guy said it would be to replace the watch immediately. I'm not sure the screen replacement is even a thing.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Crazy that it costs $229 to replace the Apple Watch screen while it cost $129 for an iPhone screen replacement.

It's actually $229 vs. $299, as there's not actually a cheaper screen replacement option for the AW like they have with iPhones, and fixing the AW screen may involve swapping the entire unit out.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
It's actually $229 vs. $299, as there's not actually a cheaper screen replacement option for the AW like they have with iPhones, and fixing the AW screen may involve swapping the entire unit out.
If you went in to Apple with both devices with broken screens the iPhone would only cost $129 vs $229 which was my point.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just picked up a sport 38'mm got in on the great target deal

Actually considering Apple care this time

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you went in to Apple with both devices with broken screens the iPhone would only cost $129 vs $229 which was my point.

And that's because they actually replace just the screen on the iPhone, whereas many members report receiving a whole new unit when paying the $229 to "repair" their shattered AW.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
In fairness to Apple, it has always been their practice to value style and beauty over durability. This is nothing new.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as one remembers fragile products like phones that bend, are the by-product of Apples vanity.

I'd suggest buyers that want a watch that'll withstand day to day use, look at alternative brands before buying what essentially is a semi beta first generation wearable gadget.

meikdunj

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
The screen crack has propagated from a ding in the metal casing indicating that it has been hit with something sharp. How can it falling into a sink bowl cause this?

superdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
I'll take a picture of the sink over the weekend. It was an relatively fancy outdoor toilet with stone everything. Need to bike about 20km to get there.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
I actually don't really believe this...sorry!!
I don't think it is so "bad" material...
Also there seem to be a scratch or dent on the left side of the watch where the glass shattered,
it really does not look to me like it only fell in a sink.
A sink would never make this kind of damage...

Anyway, feel sorry for you in any case!!

Way to, accusing the guy of lying. You must be a guy to hang around with. Make sure you don't fall off your high horse from lack of oxygen up there.

dangeng

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
Way to, accusing the guy of lying. You must be a guy to hang around with. Make sure you don't fall off your high horse from lack of oxygen up there.

I don't have friends to hang around with, maybe that's why. Never thought about it...
But don't worry about me, I always carry oxygen bottles...

I didn't mean to accuse the guy of lying!! It's just that I cannot imagine how this kind of damage could be caused by a sink. And this is only because of the little dent in the watch casing. If only the screen had a crack and the casing would be flawless it'd be a different story...

Anyway, gotta get back on my horse... Buy...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I changed my mind.

Bought AC+, first time getting the accidental apple warranty.

its glass not quartz, banging it up and having it shatter isn't out of the question entirely with open face all the time.

$49 wasn't much either

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

you should complain/tell the store manager where you bought the watch. not in a "omg i'm so upset give me free stuff" way, because that won't happen... but it's definitely something they should know about.

i bought my second watch in hong kong, and i was offered apple care (obviously) and the guy specifically said i had 60 days to change my mind and told me the ways i could purchase it afterwards. it does happen, and it probably should every time.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I assume you don't buy AC+ for your iPhone either, as everyone who does this knows you also have 60 days to get AC+ for iPhone. But think about it, if Apple were to allow people to get AC+ anytime they want then they'd not bother buying it until they have their first accidental damage (just like what you're trying to do), which would be a losing proposition for Apple.

i bought my second watch in hong kong, and i was offered apple care (obviously) and the guy specifically said i had 60 days to change my mind and told me the ways i could purchase it afterwards. it does happen, and it probably should every time.

Care to tell us what are these ways to buy AC+ after the 60-day deadline?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.