Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostoftheMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I have the stock GT120 in still for emergency use. Windows just ignores it (there is no monitor connected)...

Hey, I have a GT 120 and a GTX 1060 installed in my Mac Pro 4.1. For me the GT 120 messes up everything in Bootcamp. The GTX 1060 does not show any signal and the GT 120 runs everything, even though I ran the GTX 1060 as single GPU on Bootcamp before to install all the drivers and it worked just fine.

With both GPUs installed, the GTX 1060 gives me Error Code 43 in the device manager. The thing is, that I need the GT 120 for Mac and just want to use the GTX 1060 for games under bootcamp.

Is there a way to tell Windows to ignore the GT 120?

Reactions: MacGamver

pinchu71

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
I wonder if there is any program to be able to install a boot loader and choose which partition to boot with a graphical menu.

I have installed an evga gtx 980 in my Mac Pro 5,1 and when I restart the mac in bootcamp through the preferences of osx, I can not get osx boot again from windows, it always boots windows.

I need to re-switch the graphics card to my old amd and pressing alt, an then re-starting osx

sorry for my bad English ;)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hey, I have a GT 120 and a GTX 1060 installed in my Mac Pro 4.1. For me the GT 120 messes up everything in Bootcamp. The GTX 1060 does not show any signal and the GT 120 runs everything, even though I ran the GTX 1060 as single GPU on Bootcamp before to install all the drivers and it worked just fine.

With both GPUs installed, the GTX 1060 gives me Error Code 43 in the device manager. The thing is, that I need the GT 120 for Mac and just want to use the GTX 1060 for games under bootcamp.

I had a dual Nvidia set-up as well. A 8800 GT ME and a GTX-970 PC. In Windows I got multiple errors due to the fact, that the Nvidia drivers installed were not compatible for the old 8800 GT anymore, so I switched it for the even older ATI 2699 HD ME. Problem solved.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I wonder if there is any program to be able to install a boot loader and choose which partition to boot with a graphical menu.

Holding down ALT or OPTION will do this natively.

You can install rEFInd which has a customizable GUI. You don't have to hold down ALT/OPTION. It is also much faster.

gregolasdesigns

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2017
Hi guys, first time posting:

I realize this thread is gigantic and I've spent about an hour going through as much as I can to see if I could find an answer to this question, but here's my problem:

Running: Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
Installed: Asus Strix GTX 980 TI

I installed all the drivers and CUDA for mac before installing the card, bingo, no problem. It loads up without a hitch. When I try to load into Windows I get nothing, black screen.

Has anyone run into this issue? I can't figure out where I'm going wrong and it's been over a month of trials and tribulations.

Thanks in advance!

pinchu71

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Holding down ALT or OPTION will do this natively.

You can install rEFInd which has a customizable GUI. You don't have to hold down ALT/OPTION. It is also much faster.

I forgot to mention that the graphics card is a pc version, so it shows a black screen if I hit the alt key

Do you know if the refind program can display graphic menu with a gtx 980 pc version, and is it possible to install refind with the sip protection of macos?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Hi guys, first time posting:

I realize this thread is gigantic and I've spent about an hour going through as much as I can to see if I could find an answer to this question, but here's my problem:

Running: Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
Installed: Asus Strix GTX 980 TI

I installed all the drivers and CUDA for mac before installing the card, bingo, no problem. It loads up without a hitch. When I try to load into Windows I get nothing, black screen.

Has anyone run into this issue? I can't figure out where I'm going wrong and it's been over a month of trials and tribulations.

Thanks in advance!

Just a spontaneous question: does it work fine to startup into Windows with the card that came with the Mac Pro? In that case it might be a good idea to install the latest NVIDIA drives in Windows first. Also, what version of Windows is it?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Do you know if the refind program can display graphic menu with a gtx 980 pc version

Not normally, no.

Alternatively, I've been told that Clover will initialize GPU boot screens, but there hasn't been much success around that. I'm surprised more people haven't tried. You can find more information about that starting here.

You could also pay MVC to flash your card with Mac EFI to avoid all this trouble in the first place, and gain additional benefits as well.

Lastly, in Windows you could use EasyBCD to select the default or next boot partition.

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013

I have this same issue. GT120 Mac and GTX650ti pc. In boot camp I get display on the main screen connected to the 120, and blank on the other display connected to the 650ti. I have updated the NVidia drivers, and even gone into the devive manager and disabled the GT120. For some reason in the control panles, I cannot open the NVidia preferences at all

scholefn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi. Firstly, thanks so much for the guidance here. This thread and forum has been so helpful.

I recently bought a used Mac Pro 1,1 to use for a uni subject on iOS development. It was already running El Capitan, however with the standard NVIDIA GT 7300 installed. The graphics don't work well (as documented here). After reviewing this thread (maybe not all 148 pages), I bought a simple NVIDIA GT710. I installed the Web drivers and the card works fine.

The question (seems so basic after reading a number of the feats achieved here!) is....should I pull the old NVIDIA GT 7300 out of the machine? When I have nothing plugged into the old card but a monitor plugged into the new GT710 card, the old one thinks a monitor is still plugged in and is set up in Mac OSX like there's 2 monitors attached. I can't seem to work out how to stop this behaviour, so I suppose I need to pull the old card out.

I don't need two cards or monitors, so it should be OK. The only reason I'm reluctant is in case something goes wrong and it boots into Lion, (this happened once already), I thought it might use the old card?

Any guidance appreciated, thanks.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Hi. Firstly, thanks so much for the guidance here. This thread and forum has been so helpful.

I recently bought a used Mac Pro 1,1 to use for a uni subject on iOS development. It was already running El Capitan, however with the standard NVIDIA GT 7300 installed. The graphics don't work well (as documented here). After reviewing this thread (maybe not all 148 pages), I bought a simple NVIDIA GT710. I installed the Web drivers and the card works fine.

The question (seems so basic after reading a number of the feats achieved here!) is....should I pull the old NVIDIA GT 7300 out of the machine? When I have nothing plugged into the old card but a monitor plugged into the new GT710 card, the old one thinks a monitor is still plugged in and is set up in Mac OSX like there's 2 monitors attached. I can't seem to work out how to stop this behaviour, so I suppose I need to pull the old card out.

I don't need two cards or monitors, so it should be OK. The only reason I'm reluctant is in case something goes wrong and it boots into Lion, (this happened once already), I thought it might use the old card?

Any guidance appreciated, thanks.

Yes, you can pull out the old GT 7300. Keep it on a shelf somewhere for when you need boot screen.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What's that AM?

Clover is an EFI bootloader for hackintoshes. Reportedly it initializes PC graphics cards on a real cMP too, therefore you'd have boot screens. When the news broke out here, only one person tried it but then he got too busy with other projects to finish.

I am just astonished, with all the problems associated with not having boot screens, and the cost of paying for a flash, why there aren't more people trying it out. It's literally free, and if it doesn't work you can uninstall it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Apparently it also has USB 3.0 drivers, so you could have USB 3.0-based boot drives on cMPs too, which you can't do otherwise.

It's been brought up a few times before, but nobody ever pursues it. The best thread I've seen about it starts here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...c-card-with-boot.2013709/page-2#post-23942507

If I didn't already have a flashed card, I'd try this in a heartbeat.

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
[QUOTE="ActionableMango, post: 24317531, member: 496949"
I am just astonished, with all the problems associated with not having boot screens,
[/QUOTE]

I am just astonished why people still pay so much for this overrated 'boot screen'.
What 'problems'?? Fear? Ignorance?

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I am just astonished why people still pay so much for this overrated 'boot screen'.
What 'problems'?? Fear? Ignorance?

People who dual boot, like me, have to have the boot screen.

If you don't dual boot, you don't need it -- until something goes wrong and you don't know what is happening because all you see is a black screen.

I will admit that if I didn't dual-boot, I'd probably be OK without boot screen support, as long as I had a boot screen capable card available to drop in if I needed it. It's mostly that the lack of boot screen support just seems so half-assed.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
[QUOTE="ActionableMango, post: 24317531, member: 496949"
I am just astonished, with all the problems associated with not having boot screens,

What 'problems'?? Fear? Ignorance?[/QUOTE]

I'll do / pay a fair amount for boot screens, just don't feel confident when something is wrong and want to troubleshoot my Mac. Simple can't operate my hybride cMP 5.1 without. Period!

BTW: I do own a car with see thru windows too...

Cheers

Last edited:

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Still don't see the problem, other than fear.

As far as I know, reFind relies on the EFI for driving the screen, so you can't select your boot choice without boot screen availability.

If you like making your boot-up choice in the dark, feel free. I don't, and that's not fear, it's called not being stupid.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Still don't see the problem, other than fear.
I have a triple boot system, (actually 5 x boot when you count 2 back-up boots) I'll use the Start-up disk from System Preferences.

Recovery won't work, but I wouldn't use it anyway.

I'm real happy for you now! Every user has her/his own domain.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.