Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Screensharing presupposes another Mac is available.

Or you can use for example VNC Viewer from Real VNC on an iPhone/iPad.

Hello I got the 5770 flashed on a mac pro 4.1 OS X sierra and I don't now wants happen there was the envidia driver on my mac and now the graphic don't work is like red Squares and lines on the monitor.
What can i do? Is the card broke?
I buy a 1060 3gb gigabyte and mymmac don't startson DVI connection.
What pc card can I bay with no flashing that works for 100$ to 300$ max?
Thanks

5770 is an ATI card and should not be affected by the Nvidia web drivers.
The 1060 is a Pascal-based card and these don't work (yet) in a Mac (as pointed in the original post in this thread).
What PC card to buy depends on your needs and what's available to you, but do a search on the forums before you buy. Most Nvidia 5xx to 9xx cards work out of the box, but newer cards require the web drivers. You will not get a working boot screen with an unflashed card. Check also the brand and exact model you buy besides the chipset! For example my Asus 750 Ti needed to be flashed with another PC VBIOS for any digital output to work.

bmxfr

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Valencia
Or you can use for example VNC Viewer from Real VNC on an iPhone/iPad.

5770 is an ATI card and should not be affected by the Nvidia web drivers.
The 1060 is a Pascal-based card and these don't work (yet) in a Mac (as pointed in the original post in this thread).
What PC card to buy depends on your needs and what's available to you, but do a search on the forums before you buy. Most Nvidia 5xx to 9xx cards work out of the box, but newer cards require the web drivers. You will not get a working boot screen with an unflashed card. Check also the brand and exact model you buy besides the chipset! For example my Asus 750 Ti needed to be flashed with another PC VBIOS for any digital output to work.

So the 1060 don't work out the box.
I want something not to lout or less watts and not to expensive.
I go mac pro 4.1 to5.1 6 core on sierra
What is like 960 or 680 (680 take more watts or go hotter)?
to expensive with logo :
http://www.ebay.es/itm/232014905813?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.es/itm/162046918966?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.es/itm/121639617394?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.es/itm/111715024369?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.es/itm/112185257379?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
or what can y buy with out start logo pc cart working out of the box
Thanks and sorry for my english

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
So the 1060 don't work out the box.
I want something not to lout or less watts and not to expensive.
I go mac pro 4.1 to5.1 6 core on sierra
What is like 960 or 680 (680 take more watts or go hotter)?
or what can y buy with out start logo pc cart working out of the box
Thanks and sorry for my english

The 680 and the 960 are similar in performance, so I would not recommend getting the 960 since it's quite much more expensive. The 680 is higher in power though (195W vs 120W), and so it might run hotter and louder, but it depends also on the cooler design, which differs from brand to brand, not necessarily the chip itself.
The HD 6870 is cheap, although nowhere near the the performance of the 680, it will still outperform your old HD 5770. That would be a good upgrade option if you don't plan on playing high-end games.
The cards you linked seem to be flashed by the vendor for Mac compatibility, so you will get a working boot screen and all that comes with it (ability to go to Recovery Mode etc.), so those look like pretty good options.
Check that the card comes with all the necessary power cables, as for example the 680 usually needs two 6-pin PCIe power connections, so one in addition to the cable already in your Mac Pro.

There are some cheaper alternatives, like used and refurbished ones, but a Mac-flashed 680 card with a 1-year warranty for 220€ doesn't sound too bad.

As for non-flashed PC cards, I'm not the right person to give you advice on which will work out of the box.

bmxfr

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Valencia
The 680 and the 960 are similar in performance, so I would not recommend getting the 960 since it's quite much more expensive. The 680 is higher in power though (195W vs 120W), and so it might run hotter and louder, but it depends also on the cooler design, which differs from brand to brand, not necessarily the chip itself.
The HD 6870 is cheap, although nowhere near the the performance of the 680, it will still outperform your old HD 5770. That would be a good upgrade option if you don't plan on playing high-end games.
The cards you linked seem to be flashed by the vendor for Mac compatibility, so you will get a working boot screen and all that comes with it (ability to go to Recovery Mode etc.), so those look like pretty good options.
Check that the card comes with all the necessary power cables, as for example the 680 usually needs two 6-pin PCIe power connections, so one in addition to the cable already in your Mac Pro.

There are some cheaper alternatives, like used and refurbished ones, but a Mac-flashed 680 card with a 1-year warranty for 220€ doesn't sound too bad.

As for non-flashed PC cards, I'm not the right person to give you advice on which will work out of the box.
[doublepost=1484139942][/doublepost]Thanks.
And no flashed no bood apple pc cards bad working what can I buy?

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Dumb question time, I'm sure it's in this thread but is it true that PC Cards not flashed only run pcie 1? Also the boot screen issue. Can I just leave my stock card in my machine and run a second non flashed card and just select in the OS the stock card when needed?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Dumb question time, I'm sure it's in this thread but is it true that PC Cards not flashed only run pcie 1? Also the boot screen issue. Can I just leave my stock card in my machine and run a second non flashed card and just select in the OS the stock card when needed?

You can install the graphic card (regardless flashed or not) in any slot. And it is OK to run install an extra PC graphic card with the original still in its place.

Anyway, for the PCIe 1 speed issue. AFAIK, the current Nvidia web driver already allow the unflashed card to run at PCIe 2.0 speed in the cMP (macOS).

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I'm sure the poster would not want to cripple his GPU by putting it in a 4 Lane Slot.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
^^^^I'm sure the poster would not want to cripple his GPU by putting it in a 4 Lane Slot.

Lou

How do you know? Please don't add your personal opinion to the others. I appreciate that you give him the extra info that x16 slot is a better option. But it didn't change the fact that graphic cards can be installed in any slot.

How about if he worry about the cooling issue, and install the 2nd graphic card in slot 3? Do you know if he prefer to over heat the GPU rather than take a minor performance hit? For any stock Mac Pro graphic card, the performance hit is actually negligible. My 7950 is stronger than any stock cMP GPU, and the performance penalty by installing it in the x4 slot is just 2.4%. I am sure the "top of the line" stock Apple 5870 will even have less performance hit. And if that's a GT120 for boot screen purpose, install that in slot 4 should have virtually zero performance penalty.

Since the poster was asking about if he can leave the stock card in. I believe that I can safely assume that means a Apple stock GPU but not any other high performance flashed card. My own tests shows that there should be no need to worry about performance penalty. And can hardly call it cripple the GPU.

By anyway, I agree that I should tell him more detail about the slot bandwidth. And make sure he put the high performance GPU in slot 1, and the lower performance stock GPU in other slot.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Thanks guys I understand the difference in slots and x16 and x4. What I was asking was I want to leave my factory original basic 512mb video card in its factory slot for times when I need to use the boot screen. I then want to know if I can then put a pc quadro/geforce card into the second x16 slot and use that card for my actual work. I also wanted to know if instead of physically swapping cards when needing to use boot screen, can I just do it somewhere in the OS?

joesev

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
I am so screwed and am not sure what to do!!!!

Okay so, I finally got sick of the app store telling me I have an update available (apple security update) for 10.11.6. I was on build 15G1004. So I download the latest web driver for 10.11.6 (the one for build 15G1212) and proceed with the security update. I did not realize that the security update would put me at build 15G1217 and there is no web driver for build 15G1217. Which means I am running my Mac Pro on my old NVIDIA 8800 GT (which I have already had to reflow in the oven once before so I don't like running on it for long periods of time) instead of my GTX 750 Ti. I have tried looking to see if there is a way to roll back the security update on OS X, but short of having a time machine backup to restore from (which I don't for this security update) the only other solution I have found is doing a clean install of OS X 11, or modifying an install of OS X 12 (macOS is a terrible name) because my Mac Pro isn't supported.

I am running a MacPro 3.1 with Dual 3.2GHz Quad Core processors.

Does anyone have any other solutions or does anyone know if NVIDIA is going to release a new web driver for build 15G1217 in the immediate future (like between now and monday or tuesday)? I only ask about releasing a web driver for build 15G1217 because it looks like they are up to date on 10.12 web drivers and am hoping they aren't leaving behind people who are still on 10.11.

Any help or advice/thoughts would be appreciated, Thank you.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I am so screwed and am not sure what to do!!!!

Okay so, I finally got sick of the app store telling me I have an update available (apple security update) for 10.11.6. I was on build 15G1004. So I download the latest web driver for 10.11.6 (the one for build 15G1212) and proceed with the security update. I did not realize that the security update would put me at build 15G1217 and there is no web driver for build 15G1217. Which means I am running my Mac Pro on my old NVIDIA 8800 GT (which I have already had to reflow in the oven once before so I don't like running on it for long periods of time) instead of my GTX 750 Ti. I have tried looking to see if there is a way to roll back the security update on OS X, but short of having a time machine backup to restore from (which I don't for this security update) the only other solution I have found is doing a clean install of OS X 11, or modifying an install of OS X 12 (macOS is a terrible name) because my Mac Pro isn't supported.

I am running a MacPro 3.1 with Dual 3.2GHz Quad Core processors.

Does anyone have any other solutions or does anyone know if NVIDIA is going to release a new web driver for build 15G1217 in the immediate future (like between now and monday or tuesday)? I only ask about releasing a web driver for build 15G1217 because it looks like they are up to date on 10.12 web drivers and am hoping they aren't leaving behind people who are still on 10.11.

Any help or advice/thoughts would be appreciated, Thank you.

Disable SIP and update the OS version listed in /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist and rebuild your kext cache.

Edit:
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>15G1212</string>

to 15G1217.

Rebuild kext cache: Terminal:
sudo touch /Extensions
sudo kextcache -system-caches

When new Nvidia web driver is released in a few days change the build number back to 15G1212, and do the update.

Last edited:

joesev

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Because I want to make sure I understand,

I have currently installed 15G1217
The latest driver for NVIDIA is for 15G1212

So, just to make sure that I do this right, wouldn't I want to change
Edit:
<string>15G1217</string>

to 15G1212.

And then change the number back to 15G1217 when the new driver is released?

And how do I disable SIP in terminal?

baupfhor

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
I have a 2010 27" iMac that im running "beast" eGPU connected via mpcie. I've been running an HD7950 (non mac flash) but ive recently purchased a used gigabyte gtx 970 mini. I've installed the web drivers for 10.12 (16A323). The display doesnt turn on, with or without the nvidia drivers enabled. With them enabled, i can't even screen share from my iphone (black screen). I do need to install the Cuda drivers (didnt know about that). I will also disable SIP). Is there anything else im missing?
I'm new to nvidia cards. In the past ive run my old mac pro 4,1 with two 7950s with little issues. I replaced that with a custom built PC just for gaming. My iMac setup is just for tinkering with and daily use. I know using x1 pcie is not all that great for performance. I am running a display board to drive the iMac screen and have it connected through DP to the eGPU. I removed the original MXM GPU.
thanks for any advise!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Because I want to make sure I understand,

I have currently installed 15G1217
The latest driver for NVIDIA is for 15G1212

So, just to make sure that I do this right, wouldn't I want to change

And then change the number back to 15G1217 when the new driver is released?

And how do I disable SIP in terminal?

Since your asking all these question, IMHO, the best course for you is just to wait a day or two until Nvidia updates the driver.

Lou

joesev

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Since your asking all these question, IMHO, the best course for you is just to wait a day or two until Nvidia updates the driver.

Lou
I am comfortable in terminal. I just wanted to make sure I understood it all correctly.
[doublepost=1484856586][/doublepost]
Disable SIP and update the OS version listed in /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist and rebuild your kext cache.

Edit:
<string>15G1212</string>

to 15G1217.

Rebuild kext cache: Terminal:
sudo touch /Extensions
sudo kextcache -system-caches

When new Nvidia web driver is released in a few days change the build number back to 15G1212, and do the update.

So I opened up the Info.plist and there is no "NVDARequiredOS" key to modify. I will copy and paste the contents of the info.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
    <string>11A511</string>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>English</string>
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>NVDAStartup</string>
    <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
    <string>NVDAStartup 10.10.14 310.42.25f02</string>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>KEXT</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>10.10.14</string>
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    <string>????</string>
    <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>10.1.0</string>
    <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
    <dict>
        <key>NVDAStartup</key>
        <dict>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
            <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
            <string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000</string>
            <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0x000010de&amp;0x0000ffff</string>
            <key>IOProbeScore</key>
            <integer>100000</integer>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
            <key>IOSourceVersion</key>
            <key>NVDAType</key>
            <string>Official</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
    <dict>
        <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
        <string>1.0b1</string>
        <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
        <string>7.0</string>
        <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
        <string>8.0d0</string>
    </dict>
    <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
    <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Not sure which string to change. Or should I modify the WebDriver-346.03.15f05.pkg file to look for the Required OS to be 15G1217?

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I am comfortable in terminal. I just wanted to make sure I understood it all correctly.
[doublepost=1484856586][/doublepost]

So I opened up the Info.plist and there is no "NVDARequiredOS" key to modify. I will copy and paste the contents of the info.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
    <string>11A511</string>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>English</string>
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
    <string>NVDAStartup 10.10.14 310.42.25f02</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>KEXT</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    <string>????</string>
    <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>10.1.0</string>
    <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
    <dict>
        <key>NVDAStartup</key>
        <dict>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
            <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
            <string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000</string>
            <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0x000010de&amp;0x0000ffff</string>
            <key>IOProbeScore</key>
            <integer>100000</integer>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
            <key>IOSourceVersion</key>
            <key>NVDAType</key>
            <string>Official</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
    <dict>
        <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
        <string>1.0b1</string>
        <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
        <string>7.0</string>
        <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
        <string>8.0d0</string>
    </dict>
    <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
    <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Not sure which string to change. Or should I modify the WebDriver-346.03.15f05.pkg file to look for the Required OS to be 15G1217?

My mistake. It isn't there anymore.

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist to change NVDARequiredOS to 15G1217

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.