Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Just got back from the Apple shop. Both mine and the gf's phone got new screens. Apparently they don't just replace handsets any more.

Which is fine, as the rest of the phone is immaculate anyway so all good :)

adminkatana

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
that is amazing. mind taking a picture with your front camera and posting here, if you still have it?
maybe take a picture of a piece of paper or something

Here is a photo of this webpage taken with the front camera. I still have no idea how the view isn't blocked!? Genius appointment is booked for next week, so hopefully it will be sorted soon :)

IMG_6885_zpspng2zqs6.jpg

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
A side question, I feel what caused this on my phone is using an air vent mount in my car. With my phone constantly "vibrating/moving" with bumps in my car it ended up shifting the gasket.

Do you do something similar?

Nope. But the vibration theory is plausible in my mind. I do think however, if it's a vibration issue, it's more likely caused by internal vibrations from the alarm clock/phone calls.

rcckks96

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Stamford,CT
My screen is cracked in the upper right corner (due to a couple drops). Do you think apple will decline replacing the screen for the camera shift for this reason? Has anyone with a cracked screen been able to get a new screen to fix the camera issue? I'll be taking mine to the apple store this weekend to see what they say.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My screen is cracked in the upper right corner (due to a couple drops). Do you think apple will decline replacing the screen for the camera shift for this reason? Has anyone with a cracked screen been able to get a new screen to fix the camera issue? I'll be taking mine to the apple store this weekend to see what they say.

This has already been addressed in the thread:
I know that this thread is old, but I'd thought that I'd put this out there.

My cousin recently dropped his iPhone 6, shattering the screen. He went to the Apple Store expecting to pay to have it fixed, but the Genius noticed the shifted camera and said that, because of the defect, they could replace it under warranty.

It may pay off to not have it fixed.

Yep, Apple are now replacing all phones with this issue, even water damaged ones. Source: the guy at the Genius Bar.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Well, did the 2 hour drive to the Apple store today to have it fixed. Only replaced the screen (which I was ok with) and did a flawless job at it. I asked if it was going to return and he assured me it would not and that it was only a problem with the first batch of Iphones shipped. I found it odd that they "replaced" my whole screen when there was nothing wrong with my other screen.

we will see

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well, did the 2 hour drive to the Apple store today to have it fixed. Only replaced the screen (which I was ok with) and did a flawless job at it. I asked if it was going to return and he assured me it would not and that it was only a problem with the first batch of Iphones shipped. I found it odd that they "replaced" my whole screen when there was nothing wrong with my other screen.

we will see
Thanks for the check-in and info about affected units.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

we will see
So I've tried out iOS 9 on my 6 and the performance sucks compared to 8.4.1. I have the crescent again (4th time) and my warranty runs out in January. I'm wondering if iOS 9 will ever be up to 8.4.1 standards or if I should bite the bullet and set up a repair before they stop signing 8.4.1? But I'd also risk getting a worse display with uniformity problems again too or something else worse! I want to get it fixed so I can sell it for more next year but then again it might just happen again! I'm not happy with the quality of the iPhone 6. What would you guys do?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I've tried out iOS 9 on my 6 and the performance sucks compared to 8.4.1. I have the crescent again (4th time) and my warranty runs out in January. I'm wondering if iOS 9 will ever be up to 8.4.1 standards or if I should bite the bullet and set up a repair before they stop signing 8.4.1? But I'd also risk getting a worse display with uniformity problems again too or something else worse! I want to get it fixed so I can sell it for more next year but then again it might just happen again! I'm not happy with the quality of the iPhone 6. What would you guys do?
4th time? Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
4th time? Yikes. Sorry to hear that.
Yes it has sucked. Never have had to send an iPhone back till the 6.

I guess my question would be:

Would someone want to buy an iPhone 6 (next September) that performs great on iOS 8.4.1 with the FaceTime crescent problem more than an iPhone 6 on whatever current version of iOS 9 that probably will perform worse with maybe the crescent problem if it returns again or something else potentially worse?! I've never had to ask myself these questions before with the iPhone.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Mine is the same way. I don't know when it happened or if it was like that when I got it on launch day. Its been a long time since I noticed it. Doesn't rattle around or anything like that and picture quality isn't affected, so I never gave it much thought. Certainly not worth going in and getting a replacement that might have something worse wrong with it. I went through four iPhone 5's during the year I had it. Every time I replaced it, I got one that had something worse.

rcckks96

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Stamford,CT
As a follow-up, I got my screen replaced no charge today. The lady helping me did take a second look at my cracked screen, but didn't end up saying anything about it. Perfect job, screen looks great. Launch day space gray, btw.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As a follow-up, I got my screen replaced no charge today. The lady helping me did take a second look at my cracked screen, but didn't end up saying anything about it. Perfect job, screen looks great. Launch day space gray, btw.

Thanks for checking in. Mine is also cracked but had the crescent first. I'm going in soon. Fingers crossed.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Mine is the same way. I don't know when it happened or if it was like that when I got it on launch day. Its been a long time since I noticed it. Doesn't rattle around or anything like that and picture quality isn't affected, so I never gave it much thought. Certainly not worth going in and getting a replacement that might have something worse wrong with it. I went through four iPhone 5's during the year I had it. Every time I replaced it, I got one that had something worse.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I might just keep this one longer. Hopefully iOS 9 is tuned up around the end of December. That's about the time I'd have to send it in to use the warranty again. The iPhone 6 quality has just been a nightmare in my experience. This is my 5th one so I know exactly what you are taking about with getting one with something worse!!! The 4 out of 5 have had the crescent and all of them have had dark spots/corners on the screen and a couple that had a half yellow tinged side to the screen. At least my current one has an acceptable screen and everything else works fine. I'll just be super annoyed if I send it back and it comes back worse again and be stuck on a slower iOS version which is what iOS 9 is shaping up to be on the 6!

Reactions: scapegoat81

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Has anyone that has had the fix done have it return?

I have a few times. The build quality of my 6 is the exact reason I'm selling it to upgrade to the 6s.
I first noticed it move a few months after I bought it so I set up an appointment to get it taken care of early in the warranty just in case it happens again.
After confirming that it moved, they replaced the display. A few more months after that, I noticed it moving more & more as time passed so I made another appointment. The Genius not only confirmed it again, but told me they ran a few tests & noticed the current display wasn't communicating properly w/ the logic board for some reason. Prob a mistake from the 1st display swap so they gave me a whole new device.
Then w/ this one there was an unfortunate accident at work & the device bent pretty bad right at the SIM tray causing the phone to have No Service. Til this day I still can't believe that phone bent from what I accidentally did to it. Shouldn't have been that bad at all. This time around I had to pay for a replacement b/c they said the bend did not happen at one of the phones "weak points". Yea I know, total BS.

So now w/ THIS new phone, the FF camera is starting to move AGAIN !!! This is when I decided I'm done w/ this model. I'm upgrading to the 6s & staying on the more refined "s" cycle phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.