Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: Re: Re: man....

Originally posted by drastik
However, I think that the manners comment is rediculous, you are one of the rudest posters on these boards, in my experience.

Am I??:rolleyes:

Your opinion... but not mine.

Maybe you could just show me some examples when I started to be rude and not in response to others??? You will have a hard time to find one.

And in case you are referring to that whole APPLE58 case... for what are the smilies then, if not for marking your words as irony or not to be taken too serious? Even some other forum members didn't see any problems with that and also said it was clear that I wasn't serious with my last sentence since I put a ;) behind it. I was just pushing the guy to tell us what he knows, if he knows anything and shouldn't make us begging like little kids "oh, please, please, tell us, oh, please!" I'm sorry if he got that totally wrong, but as I said already a few times before... if I would take all the ignorance and offenses personal that I was confronted with within this forum already, I would have gone crazy a long time ago.

And maybe you didn't realize in your prejudices that I am not a person who is resisting to talk to a person I had a flame-war with before. Even with AlphaTech I had a just normal conversation a few days ago in another thread...

I had very decent conversations with a lot of people here already and I really don't get why some people (including you) don't let any opportunity pass to pick on me again because of one or two flame wars I was involved in, after being attacked for nothing before...

I am not saying I am perfect, but that I am one of the rudest posters here is just not true.

To say it with your own words... "that's rediculous"!

groovebuster

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
RapidIO would be fun, it converts the standard computer bus into something resembling a packet switched computer network. It's a point-to-point packet switched interconnect technology for use "inside the box" - runs in serial or parallel configurations chip-to-chip or board-to-board. Drastically reduces the pin count.

Hypertransport is an extension of the standard computer bus, just reduces the bottlenecks and latency in the current MPX incarnation. Lot's of pins needed.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Re: Re: 3ghz

Groovebuster makes some pretty good points.

Windows, since Win2K, doesn't necessarily suck any more. It still has it's problems (the Font architecture needs work, the Registry is STILL the worse idea in computing history, and shared libraries are still a pain) but major problems are not that common any longer.

No, the true evilness comes from the company itself. It's obvious ever-expanding desires to control what users do with thier computers, and how they do it, are the true issues on that side of the fence.

If you haven't heard the term "Palladium", and want to see something REALLY scary, go do a search on Google and read up on it.

Apple is no saint either. It's Jaguar pricing scheme is totally without merit. Charging people for QuickTime 6 when they just paid for it 5 weeks earlier is also not treating your customers right.

Microsoft is a Monopoly, and thus unfortunately can get away with this stuff. Apple is in a MUCH more precarious position, and it really shouldn't be pissing off it's loyal customers like this, or they may not be loyal much longer.

I have two Mac's, including an LCD iMac. I have a couple of Win2K Servers, a Win2K Laptop and a WinXP Desktop. Frankly, though I don't want to do it, I could sell the iMac and the other Mac and hardly notice they are gone. Any work I'm doing there can easily be transferred to the PC's in minutes.

After the announcement of the Jaguar pricing, I transitioned ALL of my home finances and other chores back over to the PC. The iMac is used strictly as a general "Living Room Machine" and for mastering DVD's now.

I am contemplating selling it, and putting $500 towards the purchase of a DVD ROM burner for one of the PC's, and the rest to pay off the Loan.

And I've owned Mac's since 1984.

As far as system performance goes, the Wintel side as thoroughly out-classed the Macintosh at this time.

TL

Originally posted by groovebuster
I can't hear it anymore... is it that hard for a lot of Mac users to accept that there is a world outside Apple and that is isn't all bad?

Stop telling those tales! Of course there was a lot of support needed in the older days. Since Windows2000 times changed dramatically. My wife works with a Dell Computer (700MHz Celeron) that costed 600$ since more than 2 years now (Yes, there are people who don't like to work on a Mac!). Wonna know how many real problems she had during that time with her computer??? ZERO!!! She's knows **** about computers and it crashed maybe 5 or 6 times since then. She never had a BSOD and she runs Office, Photoshop, etc... pp.. on it. I just installed her a new graphic card last year, because the onboard video was too slow for some stuff. It was a snap, no problems either.

Some friends of mine who are self-employed like me are only using Windows machines in their studios, so I can compare pretty well my work with what they are doing. And know what? None of them had really serious problems with their machines as well, since they use Windows2000. When you set up your system carefully in the beginning, a Windows system is usually very stable.

I remember times when Mac users used the argument that a Mac is faster than a PC. Now that the Mac platform is so much behind on speed issues all the people say now that it doesn't matter anymore... So what?

Even Jobs was always using the Mhz myth to point out how fast the Macs are. Now it doesn't matter anymore?

And that thing said about the Alpha processor and UNIX is just stupid. In '97 you hardly got any of the professional standard apps for creative work for Alpha machines or UNIX. But you get all the major apps for Windows these days (excpet those that got bought by Apple lately) They are 1:1 identical and sometimes they run even smoother than on the Mac, because they are developped on Windows normally these days and then they cross-compile for the Mac.

Tell me the difference between PS on the Mac and PS on Windows and how the OS is getting in your way then?!?!?! Or take any other app that is available for both platforms... I don't work with the OS the whole day, I work within the apps. And there I can't see any difference usually. The OS is running in the back and the most important thing is that it is stable and gives me the frame to run apps in it. Of course is the UI of Windows a nightmare, but when you got used to it there is now reason why you should be slower using it than on a Mac.

Oh, and to refer to the PC of my wife again... To surf the internet with it is a dream (we have a high bandwidth connection). Comparing my "high-end" Macs with that old and "slow" Windows machine is embarassing, no matter which browser I use.

A company I have a contract with is only using Windows machines (30 employees). I asked the sysad lately how much work he has with supporting the PCs and he said that it is normally almost nothing, he is normally responsible for the servers (since they are a .COM they have quite a few of them) and the support for the PCs is made by him just on request between the other stiff he has to do. Is he a liar? I don't think so...

All those peformance standards matter! Blast and RC5 are so special that even the organisations say that a benchmark based on those numbers can't be used as comparison for real life performance. The PPC is just that fast on those things because the code fits perfectly into the cache of the processor and Altivec can go crazy then. As soon as the RAM is involved even Altivec can't pull it anymore.

What counts is the overall performance of the system. And by the way... I want to see the benchmark where Photoshop on a Mac beats a PC clocked twice as fast that is NOT from Apple marketing department! All the benchmarks made by independent sources say the opposite.

As a matter of fact in real world a G4 performs like a PIII at the same clock speed. Many many tests by different sources confirmed that and it is backed up by what I experienced too.

If you would just stop to close your eyes from reality and would do the comparison yourself, instead of sticking with your fanatic opinion that Apple HAS to be better by definition, you would maybe start to understand from which direction the wind blows.

There are users out there that need all the performance in a system they can get. And it is a fact that at the moment the PowerMacs are not able to compete with Intel/AMD systems, like it or not. The funny part is that Apple is heading for the high-end video and audio production field and so far has no competetive workstation to run the stuff on. For that stuff you need friggin' powerful equipment to keep up with the standards of the industry.

Of course I am curious how the new PowerMacs (so if they will arrive one day) will perform finally. But also I am tempted meanwhile to try out the Windows world for my stuff, by putting a windows set up right beside and doing the performance hungry stuff on the PC, especially when the new PowerMacs turn out to be another disappointment. As soon as Apple gives me what I want and need (and not the other way around), I am back on the band waggon, but til then I invest my money probably in gear that gives me a way better performance than any Mac that is available at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I still hope that finally Apple can provide some decent hardware again, since I prefer the Mac as a platform (16 years user, 14 years owner of Macs), but I am at a point to ask myself if it is just fanatism to stay or if it is rational...

Cheers!

groovebuster

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Re: Re: Re: Re: man....

Am I??:rolleyes:

Your opinion... but not mine.

Maybe you could just show me some examples when I started to be rude and not in response to others??? You will have a hard time to find one.

And in case you are referring to that whole APPLE58 case... for what are the smilies then, if not for marking your words as irony or not to be taken too serious? Even some other forum members didn't see any problems with that and also said it was clear that I wasn't serious with my last sentence since I put a ;) behind it. I was just pushing the guy to tell us what he knows, if he knows anything and shouldn't make us begging like little kids "oh, please, please, tell us, oh, please!" I'm sorry if he got that totally wrong, but as I said already a few times before... if I would take all the ignorance and offenses personal that I was confronted with within this forum already, I would have gone crazy a long time ago.

And maybe you didn't realize in your prejudices that I am not a person who is resisting to talk to a person I had a flame-war with before. Even with AlphaTech I had a just normal conversation a few days ago in another thread...

I had very decent conversations with a lot of people here already and I really don't get why some people (including you) don't let any opportunity pass to pick on me again because of one or two flame wars I was involved in, after being attacked for nothing before...

I am not saying I am perfect, but that I am one of the rudest posters here is just not true.

To say it with your own words... "that's rediculous"!

groovebuster

Look, I don't want to start a war here, but I do think your tone tends to be a little agressive. This si supposed to be a market place for discussion, not name calling.

As far as other conversations go, I agree, I know you don't have a problem letting it go and moving on. My point was refeering to your telling another person to watch their manners, when you sometimes respond the same way.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Tech Larry:

I think you are underestimating what will come out of jaguar, especialy networking freatures and productivity apps. And as far as QUicktime 6 goes, that ain't apple. They are charging because of the liscensing fees for the use of MP4, this is handled by MpegLA, so take it up with them. If you don't need Mpeg$, don't buy it and stick with 5, that's what I'm doing.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by DannyZR2
However, since we know Moto is still producing the router types of these 85xx chips, and we know that Apple wouldn't let them ruin their surprise, .. it is possible they also have been moving on with production of the desktop 85xx chips and could be in process of supplying them to Apple as we speak... we have know way to know either way because Apple wouldn't let that get out.
I agree that they wouldn't announce the G5 and burn SJ's introduction. This doesn't mean they'll come out next month either, but I hope they do. If anything lets hope for new system bus and other new technologies.

If your going to wintel, then just stand at the edge and I'll help push. :p

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Re: Why can't you own both?

Originally posted by wchamlet
I mean seriously, think about it.

That doesn't mean that I am "going to the Dark Side". It just means I'm using my head and actually weighing all possibilities.

No, sorry - you're going over to the "Dark Side" you just don't know it. True zealots care nothing for what works, and can learn nothing from someone who is different from them. If you aren't a true zealot, you simply don't belong here.

And that box in the corner running Solaris? That just pays the bills...

:)

tucker

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Mississauga, Ontario
G5????????

This is my first post and I am a little disapointed, I really thought there might be a some information/speculation on whether there is a G5, or could be a G5, whether it is from Moto or IBM.

I really wasn't expecting this Mac/Windows flame war, lets try and keep to the topic, I am sure there are other topics that relate to that!!! subject where you all can go at it all you want.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: 3ghz

Stop telling those tales! Of course there was a lot of support needed in the older days. Since Windows2000 times changed dramatically.
Wonna know how many real problems she had during that time with her computer??? ZERO!!! She's knows **** about computers and it crashed maybe 5 or 6 times since then. She never had a BSOD
hehe, I'm glad you know so many happy windows users. I, on the other hand make my living fixing Macs, PCs and Unix/Linux boxes. Windows IS much more stable than it has ever been, but it also is a million more times susceptable to viruses... not just because there are more windows virus writers, but also because MS enables virus writers with their bad design decisions.
Windows also goes down much harder when there is a problem. When windows DOES go south, it is a lot harder to fix than a mac... again due to design decisions by Microsoft.
Microsoft's code is often much worse than its competetors, IMHO... If you want proof, lets not even bother with counting MS bug fixes because it could be argued that MS has more holes exposed because more people look for them. Rather, consider Microsoft's own testimony in front of the DOJ. When arguing against a proposal to open the Windows source code as a term of settlement in the DOJ antitrust case, MS first contended that this would raise security concerns. On questioning, however, MS admitted that its code was so loose and buggy that they couldn't release it for fear of divulging the security issues.
The Register link one
There is another such register article, but I'm unable to quickly find it and I don't have all day to look :-( The other article provided better examples of my above claims. :-(

I remember times when Mac users used the argument that a Mac is faster than a PC. Now that the Mac platform is so much behind on speed issues all the people say now that it doesn't matter anymore... So what?

Even Jobs was always using the Mhz myth to point out how fast the Macs are. Now it doesn't matter anymore?
yes, Macs did clock faster back in the day. Remember when the 604e was pushing past 300MHz and Intel users were overclocking PPros to 266MHz?
The difference now is that a 'slow' processor is pretty wicked fast. Back then, software was smaller, but you were still dealing with 200-300MHz. Now, a 'slow' processor is clocked at 3x that speed, with tons more bandwidth and video power that you couldn't imagine back then.
My argument was/is, integer performance on just about any modern processor is pretty damn fast. Altivec DOES actually make up for the G4s current lack luster FP performance. In short, not as fast, but fast enough in the stuff that matters.
And that thing said about the Alpha processor and UNIX is just stupid. In '97 you hardly got any of the professional standard apps for creative work for Alpha machines or UNIX.
You posted nothing in the original post about application support. You whined about P4 clock rates and indicated that PCs were faster so screw the Mac. I just responded to what YOU said. Don't call me stupid because I responded to your original, narrow post.
Tell me the difference between PS on the Mac and PS on Windows and how the OS is getting in your way then?!?!?! Or take any other app that is available for both platforms...
Well, I for one don't like the Windows design philosopy where all windows of an app run in a window. Seems silly to me.
But... I complained about an OS getting in the way and you ask for Application examples. ???
You are not responding to the your original point, or my response.
There are many examples of how windows interface 'gets in the way'. How it isn't efficient. The most overt example has to be the integrated 'help' system in XP though. Who the f*ck want's the OS to come up and pester the user, over and over. 'hey, you want your .net account yet?' 'hey, you want your .net account yet?' 'hey, you want your .net account yet?' 'hey, you want your .net account yet?'
You can't get any more 'in your way' than that.
A company I have a contract with is only using Windows machines (30 employees). I asked the sysad lately how much work he has with supporting the PCs and he said that it is normally almost nothing, he is normally responsible for the servers (since they are a .COM they have quite a few of them) and the support for the PCs is made by him just on request between the other stiff he has to do. Is he a liar? I don't think so...
No, he's not lying. He's good and/or lucky. Any competent tech can have an easy job if 1) he sets things up from the start, and 2) his coworkers aren't too inqusitive about there machine configs. This is true of a Mac or a PC.
I only claim that a) PCs are more problematic due to the underlying design of Windows, b) they are more likely to be infected, due to market share (attention from crackers) AND due to bad MS design, and c) Macs are significantly easier to fix than Wintel PCs when both go bad... given the techs have roughly similar respective PC and Mac troubleshooting skills.

What counts is the overall performance of the system. And by the way... I want to see the benchmark where Photoshop on a Mac beats a PC clocked twice as fast that is NOT from Apple marketing department! All the benchmarks made by independent sources say the opposite.
That isn't exactly an accurate statement. Independent benchmarks do show PCs pulling ahead of Macs in Photoshop benchmarks. SSE2 updates to code helps. This doesn't mean that Macs don't beat much higher clocked PCs in Photoshop benchmarks.
I did a search and found some examples. I could do better if I had more time. I was not able to find one pro-apple benchmark that I remember being published recently in one of the PC mags.
TechTV, P4 2GHz beats 867MHz G4 at photoshop, but not by much
There is another, recent (last month?), PC/Mac PShop shoot out at a major PC magazine, but I can't freaking find the link!!!! The Mac won almost all the benches. sorry, I can't locate it.
USA Today... Dual Gig G4 vs p4 vaio (author is mac user)
xinet's xServe benchmarks
...and to be fair, the Mac getting spanked in digital video

My only complaint with the video editing bench, is the use of OSX. Though it is coming along nicely, It obviously isn't nearly as fast enough as it could be. Use of a Jaguar beta points this out clearly. I'd like to see the benches run on OSX and OS9 to see if OSX is 'getting in the way' and to make sure the carbon versions of the apps are optimized well in X. It is, after all, supposed to be a HARDWARE benchmark.

As a matter of fact in real world a G4 performs like a PIII at the same clock speed. Many many tests by different sources confirmed that and it is backed up by what I experienced too.
yes, and a P4 performs SLOWER than a PIII at the same clock rate, unless SIMD2 is used on the P4. The PIII never performed that far behind the athlon either. In fact, when the PIII move to 512k L2 cache, it started outperforming similarly clocked Athlons (Tom's Hardware P3 Tualatin review ). So your point is? The G4 runs most non-parallel code like a PIII, which runs non-parallel code like an Athlon, which runs non-parallel code faster than a similarly clocked P4?
Nice point.
Fact is, the chips are more similar in integer and FP performance than most people think. A little faster here, a little slower here. The only exception to this is the P4 which is quite a bit slower at the same clock as other processors.
The big difference has been clock speed. Sure, a 2.5 GHz P4 is going to smoke... even with the design choices Intel was required to make in order to get that fast. That doesn't mean that:
a) a 1GHz PPC 7460 isn't more than fast enough for most common tasks.
b) Altivec can't accelerate video/decryption/encryption and similar tasks far beyond the capabilities of other processors.

Thing is, the athlon hasn't scaled very well in clock speed in the last 6 months. I hate to talk in 'ifs', but this is a rumor site. 'If' Apple can release a dual 1.4 GHz next month, it will go a long way tword closing the performance gap. The fastest Athlon is (i believe) currently 1.7 GHz. That's a lot closer than when the Athlons were clocked twice as fast as the PPC chips.

If you would just stop to close your eyes from reality and would do the comparison yourself, instead of sticking with your fanatic opinion that Apple HAS to be better by definition, you would maybe start to understand from which direction the wind blows.
nice pun... wind blows
anyway, I entered my last post on my Duron 800, which is more than fast enough (after 2000 finishes loading) for everything I do on it. I actually have 2 running PCs at home and no running macs at the current time.
I consider myself to be very fair in my posts about everything, I tell people to buy PCs when they have experience or investment in that platform. That doesn't mean that I don't believe 100% in everything I've said:

Windows is more problematic than the mac, especially when something DOES go wrong on either platform

Any current processor is fast enough for just about any common task

Altivec does make a real difference in the tasks that most need a significant amount of computing power (encryption, decryption, video editing, image processing)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: good points by groove

Originally posted by eirik
As for the inventory, at some point, it costs Apple more to hold out and sell it than it does to radically discount it and sell a boat load of new PowerMac's.
I agree with that statement. They can't sit on old technology and hope that they can force consumers to buy dated products by not releasing new ones. That would be foolish thinking. It's best they dump the junk and release more competitive products.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3ghz

OK, so let's say we agree on most things. I don't see that fixing of a Windows machine as not that critical. It is of course a pain, but so far I never saw someone with a totally screwed system since Windows2000. I also agree that the design of Windows is a joke, but on the processor issue I disagree. I did the comparison myself with two systems side by side and I can't approve this.

And of course a PIV is slower per clock-cycle compared to a PIII. But the current PIV clocks at 2.4GHz... should equal a PIII at 1.8 GHz.

I pointed out a few times, that I care for the overall performance of the system and not only the processor speed. When Apple can provide machines soon that give a performance boost to be equal again with the Intel/AMD world, I will shut up immediately and you won't see me ranting about Apple hardware for a long time I guess. And I really don't care, if they do that with 1GHz clockspeed or 1THz, the output is what counts. The processor was just one of the problems in the flawed/old design of the Apple pro machines to date.

If Apple really has a tower next months with two 1.6GHz G4s and DDR RAM, I would be more than happy. It is just that the last 2 years were kind of disappointing and the uncertainty what's coming next is making people nervous (including me).

groovebuster

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: G5????????

Originally posted by tucker
This is my first post and I am a little disapointed, I really thought there might be a some information/speculation on whether there is a G5, or could be a G5, whether it is from Moto or IBM.

I really wasn't expecting this Mac/Windows flame war, lets try and keep to the topic, I am sure there are other topics that relate to that!!! subject where you all can go at it all you want.

Welcome Tucker!
There is a G5; it's just in the embedded market. Cisco and company are much more excited then us right now. However, in the past the PPC for Mac has followed. Usually Moto doesn't announce it until after Apple announces their new systems. So we speculate that the G5 is around the corner. Some think next month others next year.

If Apple didn't release new high-end products at MWNY that means one of two things. One, they don't have anything spectacular to release and sj didn't want to get pummeled on stage. Two, they have something really awesome and they need time to put the finishing touches on it. I'm hoping for number two, like many in this forum. I and others suspect it will be released with Jaguar.

I agree, flame whore's suck arse.

idoru1135

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
Tampa
Windows/Mac FlameWars

Both "sides" have value, depending on how (and for what purpose) you use a computer for. Mac's give ME a more pleasurable computing experience; it does not mean Windows machines are not good machines (I happen to use both). Macs can be just as frustrating as Windows machines when things go wrong.
I understand the frustration of pro users at this point; Macs have definetly lagged behind. We (Mac fans) are used to Apple wowing us at every turn; this time they have not. I'm sure Apple and Steve know the towers are in trouble- but as a public company during a MASSIVE downturn in the global economy, need to find a way to A: Sell off the inventory of present G4's, B: Raise the money to change an entire production line, C: Increase market share in the consumer arena (75%+ of total hardware sales). They're in a pinch, and they know it.
Pro users who need to upgrade TODAY, I sympathize. Regular consumers (and MHZ speed freaks), the current Mac product line has more than suffecient horsepower for our needs. If you feel a Mac is too expensive, DON'T BUY IT; it is not necessary to attack Macs (and Mac fans). A Ford will get you where you want to go at a reasonable price; it dosn't mean I have to badmouth Porsches' and their owners.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by Sun Baked
RapidIO would be fun, it converts the standard computer bus into something resembling a packet switched computer network. It's a point-to-point packet switched interconnect technology for use "inside the box" - runs in serial or parallel configurations chip-to-chip or board-to-board. Drastically reduces the pin count.

Hypertransport is an extension of the standard computer bus, just reduces the bottlenecks and latency in the current MPX incarnation. Lot's of pins needed.

That being the case and the fact Motorola is using Rapid IO on the G5 chips, why is Apple persuing Hypertransport so vigerously? I have heard them say they are separate and complimentary technologies but no explanations beyond that. Admittedly I do not hang out on IEEE standards forums either because they talk some other language than I do.

Anybody have meaningful input?

Oh, my 6 months from 8-02 estimate is 2-03 and the early 03 prototype for Mac G5 is close to that, so MAYBE we will see G5 X-serves in mid-03.

Rocketman

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Re: Why can't you own both?

Originally posted by dernhelm

No, sorry - you're going over to the "Dark Side" you just don't know it. True zealots care nothing for what works, and can learn nothing from someone who is different from them. If you aren't a true zealot, you simply don't belong here.

And that box in the corner running Solaris? That just pays the bills...

:)

I have been reading the latest wave of Wintel banter.

If you have a $9000 program that runs only/better on Wintel, by all means buy a wintel for that application and put it on the network with your old, trusty Mac and whatever wintel boxes you have. Why not?

But for consumers doing typical consumer applications the slight price premium for a Mac is generally worth it for tighter hardware and software integration which translates to ease of use, ease of software upgrade and downgrade, ease of adding devices, etc.

Also a Mac typically has a MUCH longer system useful life. For me on average 6 years vs 2-3 for a PC. So the cost of replacing a PC twice as often and all the hassles of upgrading software and reinstalling all that crap has to be considered.

In fact I believe this is the biggest impediment to people switching from OS9 to OSX, there are utilities to transfer all inmportant stuff from PC to OSX but not so much from OS7,8,9 to OSX.

This is why they have a classic environment so at least you can run old compiled programs as needed.

I anticipate relying on OS9 classic for at least 3 years or more. So they better do maintenaince releases.

Rocketman

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: good points by groove

Originally posted by eirik

I expect someone's ass is out the door at Apple, if inventory truly is the obstruction to a new PowerMac introduction.

I don't think there is much Apple could have done about some inventory backlog, without a crystal ball. They had to eat a lot of g4 iMacs because they couldn't make the ship date, for myriad reasons in the manufacture and distribution chain. From now on they are probably going to make sure they have guaranteed product in the pipeline, and no clogs before they even announce. In that case it was a quick growth curve on demand, while supply didn't come through until after the typical crash of a quick growth curve.

Power Macs haven't sold because the demand for the next big thing has been there for a long long time. Adding a superdrive, or a speed bump is only going to push so many units out the door. One thing they are doing to curb premature demand, is to stop announcing hardware PERIOD at Expos, which are really very badly timed for the prime buying seasons.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Why can't you own both?

Originally posted by Rocketman
Also a Mac typically has a MUCH longer system useful life. For me on average 6 years vs 2-3 for a PC. So the cost of replacing a PC twice as often and all the hassles of upgrading software and reinstalling all that crap has to be considered.

<<stepping on soapbox>>
I'm not sure what plane of existence people come up with these figures but it's flat out wrong. At the place where I work(no names please) it is common to see P5-100's and P5-133's still in use...even with Windows 2000 installed on them.

Memory is the key to making it work. A minimum of 80 MB can make them very useable with a stable OS like Win2k. I actually took a PowerMac 7500 with a dual 200 mhz 604e card, Mac OS 9, 160MB ram, and 4 GB scsi drive from my wife once that she used for browsing and email. I replaced it with a P5-100 with 128MB of ram and 1.6GB ide drive loaded with Win2k. Both systems had Eudora and IE for email and browsing. After 5 min of using it, she asked why the Windows system was so much faster. For her use it was and for most people it would be too.

Can you take a 100mhz PowerMac and easily install Mac OS X on it and it run as acceptable and quick in a useful sense? If you know what you're doing, you might get it going with the 3rd party tools on the net but as quick? I doubt it. One more thing the Win2k system crashed one time over a 5 month period for her. The PowerMac crashes 1 every two weeks on average. Which systems are more useful for a longer lifespan now???

Now before people start flaming me, let me add that even though my wife felt this Wintel system was faster and just as useful if not moreso, she liked the interface of Mac OS and apps better. She felt things made more sense in how it was all layed out. Basically more apps are consistent in their look and feel than Windows apps. I've always felt that way as well.

So to wrap this up those figures you read about how long systems are good for is all bogus and usually is due to money being spent incorrectly. Also it can be due to what markets the figures were taken from. There are a number of variables but in general since I've supported both Macs and PC's for years, I will go on record as saying that anyone who believes those figures needs to get a reality check. No offense. ;)

And I didn't even cover those outragious support needs that get quoted on Mac sites when comparing PC's to Macs. I just went from 80 hours a week of help including my hours to support 250 PC's to over 500 of them with 100 hrs/wk that includes my hours. No letup in service and support. And for those who care, I supported over 100 Macs with 150 PC's previous to this for about 3 yrs at the same place before I got bored with them and moved to another area.

What am I getting at? Macs are easier to support in most environments but supporting PC's are not even close to being as bad as some think if you know what you're doing and use the right OS.

<<stepping off soapbox>>

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why can't you own both?

Originally posted by Cappy

What am I getting at? Macs are easier to support in most environments but supporting PC's are not even close to being as bad as some think if you know what you're doing and use the right OS.

An enormous percentage of the installed PCs are indeed being used in a manner very unlike what I would guess to be a typical mac users experience, as narrow ended machines. The email/browser for the person that is not keen on multimedia content, the office app, the specialized database front end. Where the user experience easily breaks down, is when you launch a second application, and it seems to be written to entirely different standards, and if you fail to follow through on a step on a particular screen, your changes may not stick, etc.... And when you step out of bounds, it freezes.

The Mac is not immune to this either, but the point is, if you took away the PCs that were being used as narrowly focused tools, from both wintel and mac platforms, there would be more parity in the numbers of people using both platforms, if you were only counting the people using them as a swiss army knife that can handle a variety of tasks without crashing. But of course no one is going to measure market share that way.

Which really doesn't pertain to the g5 discussion...

kenohki

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Okay, so first off, what's up with everyone's wife in this thread? Everyone's talking about their wife's machine and how she's on a old pee cee and loves it. Just thought it was funny.

Second, I think it's interesting to visit the Motorola SPS site http://www.mot-sps.com or the IBM semiconductor site http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/index.html and look at the roadmaps and applications of PowerPC technology. It looks like these processors are clearly roadmapped to the embedded markets. Motorola especially doesn't seem to be targeting the desktop processor market like it used to during the heydays of the 680x0 and when the 880x0 was being developed. It's kind of disheartening.

My question is, what does everyone think of migrating to a non-PowerPC, non-Intel architecture such as POWER or UltraSPARC. This is a highly rhetorical question. I mean, the implications of asking developers to compile applications for a new microarchitecture this soon after getting them to finish the migration to the Carbon APIs would probably not be appreciated (understatement) by application developers. However, in another thread, someone brought up the point that with the Mac OS X package structure (folders renamed with the .app extension), it's possible to include two sets of binaries for an application sort of like a fat binary. The appropriate binaries for the architecture it was running on would be selected and executed. This could negate the consumer confusion that would ensue due to two different sets of binaries.

My question is, all logistic problems aside, would another processor architecture serve the Macintosh community better than the current or future PowerPCs. It seems that what the Mac community wants is speed and throughput; the ability to have big apps like Maya and Shake scream past other architectures. Would utilizing POWER4/5/6 or UltraSPARC III/IV/V or even MAJC put Apple back into the performance equation instead of utilizing trickle-down POWER technology? (Okay, AltiVec is an exception to this.)

Alpha is soon going away and some IP being absorbed by Intel, MIPS is becoming embedded, and IA-64 won't give much diversification from the next generation HP or Dell machine. POWER and UltraSPARC seem like the only other places where resources are being expended to try and keep pace with workstation class performance. Any thoughts?

-D

(And yes, I do appreciate elegant processor design. I appreciate that the PowerPC is low-power, low-heat, and fairly low-cost. But all that stuff doesn't necessarily mean you have class leading performance.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.