Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Well...

I am in the market for a new desktop. I dont know what to do. If there is NO G5 by MWNY, I am going to get a G4. You know, a G4 smokes a P4!

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
1.4 G5 would be lovely

but it would be a real shame if the jump in architecture stopped you running OS9 and all of its associated apps.

Generally a lot of music recording still relies entirely on 9, Protools, Cubase, Logic (though an X version is coming).

Cut out that support with a new processor, and they'll piss off a lot of people

But still. G5. ;) hell yeah!

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
I want to buy a new mac this MWNY. I would like to use it for all of next year. I don't want to get one next January, but I want a G5, not a rushed, last generation G4 to keep people occupied. It is really frustrating, especially after reading all the Register reports of having it ready by last month. Now they say don't expect it until at least this time next year. I hate the Register. Oh well. I will probably bite the bullet and buy a PowerMac this August. I want something from Apple, but they update their line less often than competitors and they tend to be secretive and wait on technologies, etc. I love Apple, but they can be annoying at times.

-Jim

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
typically apple updates thier line every 3 months. anyone can be annoying. not everyone can be innovative. one has to be patient with innovations.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Besides the fact that I can run two different OS's on my Mac with little configuration headaches... try to do THAT on a peecee without buying additional software :D..

Yer kidding right? Mac's have enough advantages (to certain people at least) that you don't have to go around making new ones up... :rolleyes:

Lethal

Rockridge

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I am waiting for a G5 tower to come out before replacing my soon to be gone G4 500 tower. I just hope that it is before MWSF, so that there can be at least one revision before I pick it up. I also might be forced to wait a little longer, depending on the finance situation.

Either way, the sooner they release the G5, the better... We need something to slam the peecee people with. I think it would be sweet to have a G5 that blows the doors off of a 3GHz+ p4 based system. I know from real world experience that the G4 outperforms the intel chips in most tasks (that I care about at least). I have a G4 733 here at work, that out performs a new p4 1.8GHz peecee.

Besides the fact that I can run two different OS's on my Mac with little configuration headaches... try to do THAT on a peecee without buying additional software :D..

Mac's are superior... :D

So you're jealous of the PC world... then buy one ! I built a PC for 500 that beats the s*** out of any mac, but who can stand using windows... That's THE problem with PC's! If only a PC would run OS 9.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
G5 talk

all this G5 this and G5 that. I feel as if i'm lacking already with my Dual Ghz... I just hope my machine doesn't become out dated by that much once the G5s are out. Heck, i've been using my G3 266 for almost 5 years now and it's still running strong with the exception that some games are hard to handle or can't handle. PS6 runs great on my G3 266...so...no worries for now about my Dual :). Anyway, i just hope apple tears Sh*t up in retails and on the market so my aapl stocks will go up :D I've lost too much on it in recent years... oh well...Long live Apple and its innovations.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Rockridge, where EXACTLY do you THINK I am "jealous of the PC world... "???? I ONLY work on peecee's because there are about 30 of them at our office and someone has to fix them... Put that next to the 250+ MAC systems we have and you know which ones I prefer... the MAC's ya mook..

I seriously doubt that ANY peecee you can build for $500 beats anything, let alone a G4 DP1GHz system. You did say ANY Mac... :p. Any G4 tower will wipe the floor with you in just about any Photoshop task. What other computer maker give you gigabit ethernet stock (see G4 towers for some time now, and the rev. B TiBook)??

There are more problems with peecee's then Mac's any day of the week...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
GyroFX,

I checked Apple's stock on Friday and checked the past history of it.. it's gone way up, done more then a bit, but is back up to where it was a few years ago (before tech stocks went through the roof, then the floor).

I also checked one other stock's history. When they went public in about 1988, HDI has been on a steady up trend. It has also split 5 times (cha-ching!!) since it came to the stock market... Now if only Apple's stock could do that maybe we could get rid of those peecee trolls from here :D.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by krossfyter
typically apple updates thier line every 3 months. anyone can be annoying. not everyone can be innovative. one has to be patient with innovations.

I don't think this is right...

hisorically, Apple made major product revisions every 18 months or so...

recently, the Pro machines have been getting updated in 6-8 months

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.