Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nope not yet.... Heck google haven't even finished 5.1.1 rollout yet.

Didn't think so.

Also, I'm going to have to figure out what caused my battery to get down to 15% last night. It says ... 12% Podcast Republic. :\

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Honestly, from what we've seen of Android M, I'm in no major rush to get it on my S6. If they can do it sooner, great!

For now, just roll out that 5.1.1 update in a timely fashion to squash any bugs or give us more performance improvements. I'd be happy to get that.

My S6 works and works well on many levels. Any improvements to it can only make me happier.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Honestly, from what we've seen of Android M, I'm in no major rush to get it on my S6. If they can do it sooner, great!

For now, just roll out that 5.1.1 update in a timely fashion to squash any bugs or give us more performance improvements. I'd be happy to get that.

My S6 works and works well on many levels. Any improvements to it can only make me happier.

The only thing I want from M right now is battery and permission controls. "Sprint Zone" having high location service usage is... not something I like.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
My sister just got an s6. I'm an android guy but what "cool" things does the s6 do that I can show her to make her stick with her first Android device and blow her mind versus running back to an iPhone? I don't have the s6 as I have the nexus

I thought of so far:
Widgets
Double tap camera

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Coming from the iPhone, being able to pick custom icons and arrange the home screen like you want is pretty awesome.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My sister just got an s6. I'm an android guy but what "cool" things does the s6 do that I can show her to make her stick with her first Android device and blow her mind versus running back to an iPhone? I don't have the s6 as I have the nexus

I thought of so far:
Widgets
Double tap camera

The speed is pretty nice to me, and the screen is better than the iPhone screen. Maybe show her pictures from both? It really depends what she does with the phone. Also, S Health can check heart rate and O2 levels.

Edit: Also, theme engine.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC

I thought of so far:
Widgets
Double tap camera
The cuter accessories.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I thought of so far:
Widgets
Double tap camera

Multi window.

Pop out feature or even resizing apps (pull from top corner of screen)

Gesture to wake. This is buried in the accessibility settings

Earphone tuning to give you your preferred times when playing music. I haven't done this myself but I hear it's awesome (pun!).

Might want you show her about quick charge and wireless charging. I can recommend a very good and affordable wireless charging stand.

Setting default apps. To someone new on android this will be an awesome and important discovery. Especially with the keyboard.

Ability to organize and customize the quick setting toggles from the pull down menu.

How to disable apps she doesn't want.

Help her set up finger print scanner.

Can show her launchers if she's not digging touch wiz.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Question, is it legal on this site to post some messaging regarding selling a product if you mean to keep it a private message affair?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Multi window.

Pop out feature or even resizing apps (pull from top corner of screen)

Gesture to wake. This is buried in the accessibility settings

Earphone tuning to give you your preferred times when playing music. I haven't done this myself but I hear it's awesome (pun!).

Might want you show her about quick charge and wireless charging. I can recommend a very good and affordable wireless charging stand.

Setting default apps. To someone new on android this will be an awesome and important discovery. Especially with the keyboard.

Ability to organize and customize the quick setting toggles from the pull down menu.

How to disable apps she doesn't want.

Help her set up finger print scanner.

Can show her launchers if she's not digging touch wiz.

I knew you guys/gals would come through! I am very familiar with Android but was looking for specific TouchWiz or s6 ones and you knocked it out of the park!

Appreciate it!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I knew you guys/gals would come through! I am very familiar with Android but was looking for specific TouchWiz or s6 ones and you knocked it out of the park!

Appreciate it!

Don't forget to also setup the Peel Remote app. The UI is like a Guide. Just tap the thumbnail of a show and it uses the IR blaster to turn to the right channel.

Also Smart Stay, Ultra Power saving mode, Double tap home button for camera, themes, select colors of folders, Multiple grid sizes(4x4,4x5,5x5), Private Mode, and etc.

I would also recommend installing the Amazon app store. There is always certain free apps you can download and uninstall or keep, and Amazon gives you coins for that, which you can use to purchase paid apps. I've purchase a ton of paid apps with the free coins I received which would have cost plenty in the Google play store.

If there is an interest in auto recording calls, The app ACR works flawless on the S6.

Enable Video Stabilization in camera settings. Mines was off by default.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Still annoyed by how Samsung keyboard keeps re-enabling itself. It's not a big deal but just annoying.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just posted this in the G4 thread but S6 owners, how does this compare with your real world experience? (PS - you gotta watch it all the way through).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mRrAkCiV8
My experience is that down to the ground. The S6 loads apps very very fast, but when it comes to multitasking it's seriously taking a hammering over that aggressive ram management / bloated system ram that bringing apps out of background results in far more app refreshes and content reloads than it should on any 3gb device. Likewise because of it, it makes the device for me over the course of my day feel slower because my other devices keep stuff in the background vastly longer it's ready there when I want it.. Not on the S6 Edge in my case.

Nexus 6, M9 and Z3 don't have this issue. Even my Moto X 2014 with 1gb less ram keeps more apps ready in the background.

Heck so does my 6+ with only 1/3 the memory.

It basically has ruined my enjoyment of what is undoubtedly the prettiest phone I've ever owned.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My experience is that down to the ground. The S6 loads apps very very fast, but when it comes to multitasking it's seriously taking a hammering over that aggressive ram management / bloated system ram that bringing apps out of background results in far more app refreshes and content reloads than it should on any 3gb device. Likewise because of it, it makes the device for me over the course of my day feel slower because my other devices keep stuff in the background vastly longer it's ready there when I want it.. Not on the S6 Edge in my case.

Nexus 6, M9 and Z3 don't have this issue. Even my Moto X 2014 with 1gb less ram keeps more apps ready in the background.

Heck so does my 6+ with only 1/3 the memory.

It basically has ruined my enjoyment of what is undoubtedly the prettiest phone I've ever owned.

Crikey.

I was unaware of this issue until I saw the video just now.

It was pretty shocking to see the big reveal near the end of it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just posted this in the G4 thread but S6 owners, how does this compare with your real world experience? (PS - you gotta watch it all the way through).

Wow that's embarrassing! In real world use of the S6, I don't feel the drag of this issue very much as I don't switch between apps that quickly. The few that I do, it's been fine. But still, that's embarrassing.

That "performance enhancer" update can't come soon enough.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow that's embarrassing! In real world use of the S6, I don't feel the drag of this issue very much as I don't switch between apps that quickly. The few that I do, it's been fine. But still, that's embarrassing.

That "performance enhancer" update can't come soon enough.
That was my experience as well. I know it is an issue for some. But i did not have the app refreshing issue that some have reported.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My GS6 has what i consider to be a flaw. My location keeps going back to high accuracy, GPS, wifi and mobile networks after i put it in just wifi and mobile networks to save battery. When i notice my battery draining a little fast i go check and lo and behold, it is back in the high accuracy mode.

That bugs me.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My GS6 has what i consider to be a flaw. My location keeps going back to high accuracy, GPS, wifi and mobile networks after i put it in just wifi and mobile networks to save battery. When i notice my battery draining a little fast i go check and lo and behold, it is back in the high accuracy mode.

That bugs me.

I have the AT&T model. I'm going to try and replicate your issue and see what happens.

----------

Side by side the G4 is an utterly disgusting pig of a phone compared to the S6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.