Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Give it to Samsung, they actually try to throw in the best tech in the game with every device. They hold little back.

The S6 is a beast.

Apple's flagship phone shipped with a 720P display...Samsung wouldn't hear of it. They went all in.

But it does smack of 'throw it all at the wall and see what sticks'. I no longer respect Apple, but at least they seem to think things through. Samsung seem to have come up with a curved screen idea and are now trying to find some sort of use for it.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
But it does smack of 'throw it all at the wall and see what sticks'. I no longer respect Apple, but at least they seem to think things through. Samsung seem to have come up with a curved screen idea and are now trying to find some sort of use for it.

Thats always been Samsungs way though i guess, like when they threw out the original note into the wild, everyone laughed, now its Samsungs true flagship, Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but the customer wins anyway as they get all the latest ideas even if they may feel like guinea pigs.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
The fact that Samsung never gives the new software to "older" devices. The new touchwiz should be available for s5-4 and note 4-3 from day one.
They even said look how badly note 4 looks and how we improved s6.

Epic fail once again
Thank you for your reply, absolutely agree, and this is one of the reasons I haven't bought a Samsung device the last 2 years.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The fact that Samsung never gives the new software to "older" devices. The new touchwiz should be available for s5-4 and note 4-3 from day one.
They even said look how badly note 4 looks and how we improved s6.

Epic fail once again

WTH are you saying? Apple says the same thing with "60% more efficient than last year's processor." They just want to over exaggerate how much of an improvement the S6 is. The Note 4 is still a flagship for phablets, so they won't throw it underneath the bus since it has at least 7-8 months left till it's a year old.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm thrilled they kept the 5.1" screen while making it thinner and narrower. I was afraid they'd increase to 5.3" and make it even larger. I'm interested in the Edge since it is slightly narrower and shorter than the normal S6 while still being thinner than the S5. I just hope the lag and stutter is completely gone this time.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Galaxy S6

Am I the only one that thinks the colors look great? Gold especially.

No ... I've posted lots of times now that I've fallen in love with the green one :) itssssss my precious :)

Edit... It's called Green Emerald. How appropriate for the Emerald Isle :)

Last edited:

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
WTH are you saying? Apple says the same thing with "60% more efficient than last year's processor." They just want to over exaggerate how much of an improvement the S6 is. The Note 4 is still a flagship for phablets, so they won't throw it underneath the bus since it has at least 7-8 months left till it's a year old.

note 4 got the new lollipop and looks as bad as Samsung showed us in the event.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
S6 is such a great leap forward for Samsung. Curious to see how the battery life holds up, but I like all the changes made this year. TouchWiz however is still pretty ugly. They really need to redesign those stock icons and change the look of the pull down toggles.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
After checking out the s6, that doesn't look that bad either. Great update for that line.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It took until HTC's 9th generation flagship until Samsung outshined them in design, but better late than never. Perhaps because Samsung set the bar so low that even a metal trim or glass rear is an upgrade for them coming from plastic material. Although in fairness, they do offer premium materials in their very expensive smart TV's that cost more than many cars. I think HTC had better designs, arguably displays, and sound quality improved over the years. Their Sense looks better too. But Samsung have been better at everything else esp two key areas for the longer-term.

I think S5 took alot of flak last year mainly for its band-aid designed rear and overall build quality. It was really the only water-resistant flagship that offered both removable battery and microsd, two basic features that can help out in the longer run if the original batt depletes or you run out of memory space for all those HD vids and games. Outside Samsung, only the Sony Xperia ZR offered them and that was a midranger from 2013. Samsung is in a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" scenario. Offer features that can make you use your phone for 10 years if you like, and they get criticism for build quality. Omit them for better design, and still criticism.

If the S6/S6e doesn't check people's boxes and the Edge novelty wears off after a few days, then the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is still the best around. A "safe" pick. The series has matured and offers those two key features I mentioned earlier if you want to use it for a decade like some laptops. Note 4 likely wins best smartphone from GSMA by Tues but we will see....

Exynos vs Snapdragon.... Check a video of two Note 3's being compared on YouTube.

For battery efficiency - Exynos
For faster updates - Snapdragon

Exynos overheated more in the comparison vid but other than Gameloft games, Exynos is much better for gaming and surprisingly more battery efficient. Curious how efficient this 14nm build vs the 810 still on 20nm. It doesn't really matter anyway. Samsung releases so many variants, a S6/S6e Snapdragon 810 variant are bound to pop up.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Is there any information regarding what sort of finger scanner tech they are using? Is it any better than apples tech? I always found touch ID to be fickle. I was under the impression apple had the best finger scanner tech. So is Samsung using the second or next best? Cause if its not on par with touch ID, it'll be a loser since touch ID had its reliability issues already.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
but touchwiz...

Once again I'm left wondering: just how bad is touchwiz really?

I know others are mad about the non-removable battery and no microSD but I've been living with a Nexus 5 for over a year so these are non issues for me.

I think the Galaxy S6 looks like an iPhone but I also think it looks great! (I could not care less about the edge version though)

But touchwiz is still looking like touchwiz. The notification shade is still really busy (who uses S finder and quick connect?!) and the notification shade can't be easily changed by a launcher. Early reports suggest that performance is better which is a good thing. But I'm still worried that 1yr down the line a phone stuck on touchwiz without prompt updates is going to feel like a mistake.

I'm just hoping that between now and when they launch the Note 5 they don't massively screw up anything (and perhaps keep toning down touchwiz). An S6 hardware design in a Note 5 package would likely be almost the perfect phone for me. (If they made a google play edition then it would be perfect).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
After checking out the s6, that doesn't look that bad either. Great update for that line.

To me it looks too much like every other Samsung device compared to the Edge. But yeah I imagine the standard edition will be a bigger seller especially as we haven't had proper confirmation of cost yet.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'd go with this versus the M9 but I know my ip6 plus isn't going anywhere fast to tell the truth. Somehow I kind of knew that it knows that. :D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It looks like a nice phone and brings something different to the table. If I were in the market for this type of phone I'd probably skip the edge version however. I would imagine there are quite a few people regretting their comments about the iPhone 6's protruding camera though. The camera on this looks like a proper lump on the back but as I said about the iPhone, as long as it takes a better picture who cares?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It looks like a nice phone and brings something different to the table. If I were in the market for this type of phone I'd probably skip the edge version however. I would imagine there are quite a few people regretting their comments about the iPhone 6's protruding camera though. The camera on this looks like a proper lump on the back but as I said about the iPhone, as long as it takes a better picture who cares?

Previous galaxy phones have had camera bumps. Nothing new.

Also, the camera bump is centered. I don't imagine it'll rock as much as a protrusion in the upper left corner.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
People blame HTC for keeping the M8 design with the new M9 but don't say anything about the S6 being also almost identical in looks to previous Galaxy phones?

Yeah, the materials are better, but the phone looks just like the previous S5, S4, etc. The front is identical. So boring!

I'm not that impressed with the S6 actually. I was one who agreed with MRuser on Touchwiz being still the same. It's Samsung after all. I won't trust them ever again to reinvent Touchwiz. Seems like it's gonna be the same until Galaxy S20...

No reason to upgrade from my S5. There are many letdowns: no removable back cover, no removable battery, smaller battery (we'll have to see if it really is more efficient......), no microSD (having to pay MORE for more storage like Apple does... 899€ for the 128GB model??? No!! MicroSD are way cheaper and can be used with your new phone when you buy a new one), glass back (yeah, it's worst than the S5 back cover), higher screen resolution with smaller battery, etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Back really is a finger print magnet though. I thought the Xperia Z range was bad for fingerprints, this may be worse.

Also watch carefully. At the end of video home screen has to redraw / refresh and does so quite slowly ... Dare I say even bordering on 'laggy'......

Last edited:

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I'm completely sold on the S6.

It looks absolutely fantastic and the specs make me drool. Little things like supporting both wireless charging standards and having a pay service that works with all standardised machines just makes me feel that Samsung have looked at their blank table and said "let's actually make something that really does just work".

Well done Sammy, lmpressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.