Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can't wait to get my hands on the GS6 Edge. That green one tho I'm interested in seeing if it'll outsell the regular GS6, considering all the attention seems to be on the Edge. Sammy looks to have really knocked it outta the park with the next gen Galaxies. I expect record breaking sales for them.
No the price difference is too significant. The green one is awesome, but it's looking like it will be €950 here off contract and up to €500-550 on contract (on cheapest €35 monthly tarring over 24 months).

Considering I bought a Note 4 brand new unlocked off contract for under 500 that's quite scary.

The S6 standard will be max €249-299 (going down to almost free based on monthly tariff) on contract based on fact it's retail price is same as iPhone 6 here and that's the on contract subsidised pricing of it here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's impressive pre orders

In fairness this is carrier & operators (and few of the bigger online retailers) pre-orders of stock - which are non committal - usually they can return unsold inventory to a big supplier - and therefore this 20m is certainly not indicative of actual consumer pre-orders.

As with every bit of PR hype - you have to look objectively at it - and try to see the picture behind the marketing 'guff'.

I would be surprised if the S6 didn't do well - certainly far better than s4 & S5 - but lets not start counting chicken before they hatch people.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just curious, what sort of functionality? If it's all the S stuff (s voice) etc then I don't mind.

For myself, I would hate to lose .....

Smart stay ..... Very underrated.

Popup/Splitscreen multitasking .... no 3rd party app, launcher, or custom rom comes close to the Samsung implementation.

Private Mode ..... Love the way it works. Much better than locking the entire Gallery or File explorer app.

Air Wake Up .... Would be nice if the S6 Edge has an option to only air wake up the edge screen instead of the main screen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Popup/Splitscreen multitasking .... no 3rd party app, launcher, or custom rom comes close to the Samsung implementation.

Am i the only person who thinks the implementation is utterly flawed.

Splitting your screen in two seems neat - but as soon as you need to interact text into any of those windows the on screen keyboard basically covers up half the screen making the whole thing feel wholly redundant to me.

I just think it's a nice idea in principal, but in practice flawed and more finicky than its worth. I just really don't get it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Splitting your screen in two seems neat - but as soon as you need to interact text into any of those windows the on screen keyboard basically covers up half the screen making the whole thing feel wholly redundant to me.

I just think it's a nice idea in principal, but in practice flawed and more finicky than its worth. I just really don't get it.

It works good for me. Scaling down the keyboard in one split window would making it harder to type. You tap on any text input field, keyboard pops up, then goes away when finished. If you're using the keyboard for the bottom half of the split windows, You can easily flip them with a single tap and that window will now be on top if you need to see what your typing.

I rarely use split screen, Popup is much better, and the keyboard is scaled inside the window. Split screen is great for drag n drop copy n paste.

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014

so whats your take on texting with the new apple watch? since you think texting on 3" screen is too small?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

I use it mostly for watching videos while doing something else.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
so whats your take on texting with the new apple watch? since you think texting on 3" screen is too small?

I doubt there will be much texting done on any smartwatch, included the Apple Watch. There's a reason voice dictation is included. ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I doubt there will be much texting done on any smartwatch, included the Apple Watch. There's a reason voice dictation is included. ;)

I was VERY impressed with text messaging on my Gear S. I'm not saying I would do it often, but if I left my phone at home and only had my Gear S I wouldn't mind having to compose quick texts on it at all. The predictive system is spot on, and you can swipe as well making it much nicer than the screen size would let on.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I was VERY impressed with text messaging on my Gear S. I'm not saying I would do it often, but if I left my phone at home and only had my Gear S I wouldn't mind having to compose quick texts on it at all. The predictive system is spot on, and you can swipe as well making it much nicer than the screen size would let on.

Understood but the Gear S is also massive compared to nearly every other smartwatch on the market. And I doubt you'll tell me the typing experience was every bit as good as on a 5"+ smartphone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Understood but the Gear S is also massive compared to nearly every other smartwatch on the market. And I doubt you'll tell me the typing experience was every bit as good as on a 5"+ smartphone.
Obviously it's easier on the phone but many times when you aren't always in a position to get your phone out its perfectly fine using on the gear S

Certainly on a night out

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I personally like the edge better. Currently though, it seems the carriers expect the regular G6 to be the bigger seller by a very large margin. The 20 million is made up of 15 Million Regular GS6 and 5 million GS6 Edge.

I'm hoping they don't pull an apple and underestimate the demand for the Edge, which causes a GS6 Edge shortage. Apple did that with the 6 Plus. Luckily I was still able to secure one on launch day. But I remember how much of a pain it was to get one. Working at best buy, I saw first hand the extreme wait times some customers had to deal with. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with the GS6 Edge. Verizon already announced preorders will start on April 1. Man I can't wait to get this sexy beast in my hands lol. The Green GS6 Edge and the Blue GS6 are arguably the two best looking devices in the history of mobile tech. Good job Samsung. You guys are rockin it this year.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I use sometimes use Fleksy to text from my Gear Neo 2. The keyboard is decent, and it's pretty accurate. I only use it for short texts. So I can imagine it's much better on the larger Gear S.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

----------

Honestly, I'm becoming more and more interested in the regular S6 than the Edge. The Edge looks great, but the S6 just looks like such a solid, and I guess for lack of better term, "safer" device.

The S6 looks like an all around amazing device, hitting nearly every point that I want in a smartphone. The Edge does, too, but also comes with an exciting but added risk of the Edge screen. Who knows what unforeseen issues or complications or whatever there might be with such a new/young technology.

I will wait for reviews on both, of course, but the S6 is looking so damn strong.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.