Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
So first off I'll say that this is NOT a social commentary on gender identities in general, but rather how they tie into what Apple Watch model and model of band to get. So please don't stick this in PRSI...

With that out of the way, do you think there are girl bands and boy bands for the watch? For example, I would expect the link bracelet to be worn more by men and the modern buckle more by women. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Also, I have a 42mm Sport and in the time that I've owned it have only fallen more in love with AW. So much so that now I'm considering upgrading to the stainless steel model, but in a 38mm. This brings me to my next question... Do you think the 38mm is intended more for women since it is a smaller case and, generally speaking, women have smaller wrists? I'm a guy but I'm only 5'7" or 5'8" and about 150 lbs, so my wrists are pretty small haha. I feel like my 42mm just looks too big on my wrist because it's the entire width of it. Is there any credibility to this at all? Thoughts?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I think the size is pretty generic on its own and should not change gender expression in any way. I'd say try it yourself. In terms of design, it's true that there are bands that may look more masculine or feminine, however, that argument is personal and some people either don't care or like having a feminine or masculine side respectively.

Personally, I think that they all fit for both genders just fine, but some colours like pinker ones don't match men too much (once again, this is just from a "how it looks" perspective, I think people should still wear whatever they want and not how they think they will be judged!)

Reactions: Borin

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Back to this after a year? No, the 38mm is not for women. Do not even think twice about that. If you are a small guy with small wrists the 42mm will drown your arm. I've seen so many men who should be wearing the 38mm wearing a 42mm and it looks bad.
I would agree however and say the modern buckle does seem geared towards women. It's the style only and not the fact it comes in 38mm only.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
I'm a guy and have the SBSS in 38mm. To me it reads more like a watch and I don't want it any bigger. I'm used to wearing watches and I write about them as part of my living. I definitely think it's one of those thing "to each their own". I also just ordered a lilac sport band and paired with the smaller watch would some say it's for women? I don't know. Don't care. Get what you like. I agree with others that I've seen a lot of people with 42mm that could/should have gone with the 38mm. Get what you enjoy!

Reactions: jgelin and Borin

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I have a 42 and while most people would say I should have got the 38 I wouldn't trade my 42 for the world.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm 5'10" and 150lbs so have pretty small wrists: I've currently got a 42mm SGS which looks fine, if a bit on the big size (it's narrower than my wrist but does tend to dominate it).

I fancy getting myself a stainless one to keep for "best" and tried on my wife's 38mm and that also looks fine, if a bit on the small side. It's probably the right size for me as a dress watch so that's what I'll get.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's nothing to do with gender and more about if you want a big watch or a small watch and also your own physical size :)

Reactions: melman101

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
So first off I'll say that this is NOT a social commentary on gender identities in general, but rather how they tie into what Apple Watch model and model of band to get. So please don't stick this in PRSI...

With that out of the way, do you think there are girl bands and boy bands for the watch? For example, I would expect the link bracelet to be worn more by men and the modern buckle more by women. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Also, I have a 42mm Sport and in the time that I've owned it have only fallen more in love with AW. So much so that now I'm considering upgrading to the stainless steel model, but in a 38mm. This brings me to my next question... Do you think the 38mm is intended more for women since it is a smaller case and, generally speaking, women have smaller wrists? I'm a guy but I'm only 5'7" or 5'8" and about 150 lbs, so my wrists are pretty small haha. I feel like my 42mm just looks too big on my wrist because it's the entire width of it. Is there any credibility to this at all? Thoughts?
I think a person should buy and use that which works best for them and ignore stereotypes. Aligning one's self with stereotypes for the sake of "compliance" will often result in dissatisfaction with a given product or practice.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm still shocked as to why people are getting worked up over color, band type, or watch size. Get what works for you, what you like and ignore what others may or may not think

There you go again, trying to apply logic and common sense. That kind of stuff will get you in trouble pretty quickly around here, mister! :D

I had a very wise man tell me once "you'd worry less about what others thought of you if you realized how infrequently they did". Live your life and don't worry too much what others think or say.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Thank you everyone for chiming in! I didn't really think the case sizes had assigned genders, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something that everyone else knew and I didn't.

I think looking back I went with the 42mm because I was anticipating using my Watch A TON for apps and stuff; almost like a second iPhone. This was something I thought would be better suited for the larger display as I tapped and panned around the OS. Of course now I see that the app ecosystem and the usability of WatchOS is very much on the slow and clunky side, so my Watch is really just a glorified notification and news/weather checker, fitness tracker, etc. Even though I only utilize it for those few things, it is uncanny in its handling of them, which makes me feel justified in giving into a first-gen product.

Also doesn't the 42mm supposedly get better battery life because it has a slightly larger battery?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you everyone for chiming in! I didn't really think the case sizes had assigned genders, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something that everyone else knew and I didn't.

I think looking back I went with the 42mm because I was anticipating using my Watch A TON for apps and stuff; almost like a second iPhone. This was something I thought would be better suited for the larger display as I tapped and panned around the OS. Of course now I see that the app ecosystem and the usability of WatchOS is very much on the slow and clunky side, so my Watch is really just a glorified notification and news/weather checker, fitness tracker, etc. Even though I only utilize it for those few things, it is uncanny in its handling of them, which makes me feel justified in giving into a first-gen product.

Also doesn't the 42mm supposedly get better battery life because it has a slightly larger battery?

Get heat YOU want and are happy with. As far as battery, the 42 does have a slightly larger battery but not enough to worry about. Will last most a day and then some.

Enjoy!

Reactions: brinary001

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I wear a pink band with a mickey mouse face. Am I a man or a woman? The answer will SHOCK you.
Go with what it is you like best. Break stereotypes. ;)

[doublepost=1462728901][/doublepost]

38mm is intended for people with smaller wrists, this is both men and women. 42mm is intended for people with bigger wrists, this is both women and men. I think a bad looking watch is one that is not fitting properly. Go with the size that suits your own wrist, you can't go wrong then.

Reactions: brinary001

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I agree with the responses given, but the OP does have a legitimate point. People care about how they appear to other people. I have a SS link bracelet and a Milanese Loop and I wear both interchangeably, but I have heard men say that the Milanese Loop would appear too feminine for them.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Some people care about how they appear to other people.
Fixed that for you. My value as a human being is not based on the opinions of others. Trying to please everyone is a lesson in futility, which is why I don't bother. Some of us don't care how we are seen by others, we weren't placed on this planet to win a popularity contest ;)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I'm a 5'9" guy, about 190 lbs and 175mm wrists. I'm really glad I got the 38mm. I've always preferred smaller watches. The 42mm just felt awkward to me when I tried it on, although I'm sure I would have gotten used to it. The two sizes are so close, it probably on makes a big difference for those with really small or really large wrists/fingers. Since you are used to wearing a 42, switching to the smaller watch might feel awkward for you... At least for awhile. On the other hand, since you are considering the 38mm, I'm sure you have your reasons why you think it would be better for you. Why not give it a try?

I say get the size watch that fits your wrist the best, and get the watch band(s) that fits your personal style.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I got the 42mm for myself and 38mm for the lady.
She has the stainless steel. I have the black sport.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wear a pink band with a mickey mouse face. Am I a man or a woman? The answer will SHOCK you.
Go with what it is you like best. Break stereotypes. ;)

That's not really shocking. Hot pink Sport band and Mickey Mouse face would look perfectly normal on a guy. As someone said, it's the style of the band only and not the color or size. What would look a little off on a guy is a soft pink Modern Buckle band, as that style is decidedly feminine. Really no different from a guy wearing a pair of pumps and it won't matter what color they are.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Fixed that for you. My value as a human being is not based on the opinions of others. Trying to please everyone is a lesson in futility, which is why I don't bother. Some of us don't care how we are seen by others, we weren't placed on this planet to win a popularity contest ;)

That's a noble ideal as long as you don't have a job or a social life. I recently went to a dentist who had tattoos and a red Mohawk haircut. That may pass muster in South Beach, but he wouldn't have much of a practice in New York.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
That's a noble ideal as long as you don't have a job or a social life. I recently went to a dentist who had tattoos and a red Mohawk haircut. That may pass muster in South Beach, but he wouldn't have much of a practice in New York.
I have a job and a social life.. I just happen to surround myself with those who don't judge a book by its cover.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I agree with the responses given, but the OP does have a legitimate point. People care about how they appear to other people. I have a SS link bracelet and a Milanese Loop and I wear both interchangeably, but I have heard men say that the Milanese Loop would appear too feminine for them.
If we always cared about how we appear to other people instead of caring about being true to our own feelings we'd be a miserable group of people. People need to be true to their own personal tastes. This in turn makes it easier for other people to be true to their own tastes as well. Do we really want to live in a world where everyone is essentially a clone of another person? The answer is: no.
Stereotypes about what is masculine and what is feminine need to end. For example in fairly recent times, light red (ie pink) once was a color worn by boys. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/
That's interesting about the Milanese Loop. Is that because it has finer details, rather than the link bracelet that has chunkier details, or is it something else that persuades people to view it as a gender specific accessory? Personally, I really can't see it as either feminine or masculine. Looks pretty slick on both men and women's wrists either way.
[doublepost=1462778120][/doublepost]
That's not really shocking. Hot pink Sport band and Mickey Mouse face would look perfectly normal on a guy. As someone said, it's the style of the band only and not the color or size. What would look a little off on a guy is a soft pink Modern Buckle band, as that style is decidedly feminine. Really no different from a guy wearing a pair of pumps and it won't matter what color they are.
This is interesting--"What would look a little off on a guy is a soft pink Modern Buckle band, as that style is decidedly feminine."
I was actually talking about the light pink sports band. What is the difference between that and the soft pink modern buckle band, what is decidedly "feminine"? It's an interesting question because what is it that makes designs feminine and masculine?
My view is that it is prior exposure to designs and how they are worn that taints our view of what is acceptable in a particular context. I've just done a search on men and pink bands, and one of the results shows Pharrell Williams, a male musician, wear a gold edition with a soft pink band, not certain if it was a modern buckle or a sports band. Either way they look similar and it didn't appear to be feminine or masculine.
[doublepost=1462778687][/doublepost]
We are social creatures and that is anti-social behavior.
I'm certain the commenter is talking about opinions on clothing and accessories and their opinion on such things are based on their own views, which isn't antisocial behaviour. The commenter wasn't talking about causing harassment, alarm or distress to other people which would actually be antisocial behaviour.
[doublepost=1462779167][/doublepost]
A great dentist is still a great dentist wherever they might be located, no matter how many tattoos or how red their Mohawk is. That's all that matters in the end.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This is interesting--"What would look a little off on a guy is a soft pink Modern Buckle band, as that style is decidedly feminine."
I was actually talking about the light pink sports band. What is the difference between that and the soft pink modern buckle band, what is decidedly "feminine"? It's an interesting question because what is it that makes designs feminine and masculine?

It's the style of the band. The sport band is a gender neutral design but all Modern Buckle bands are on the feminine side. We have several threads on it suggesting it's a ladies band. Just because a couple of male stars were seen wearing the Modern Buckle band doesn't change that, especially considering that Pharrell dresses rather effeminate and Drake is a low class individual who likely only cared about been seen with a $17,000 AW, Apple's most expensive model.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.