Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know many here is hating on this "minimalistic design" wording in the ruling, but I feel that it's the whole reason the iPhone/iPad have been so dominating. Look, every tablet that was marketed before the iPad was complex, some had swiveling screens to convert from laptop to tablet, they all used styluses, most had tons of buttons, some had handles, etc.

I think what's more interesting about the "prior art" from Kubrick and even star trek is these movies/shows were intending to make futuristic devices that seemed desirable but were straight forward. Somehow, in the months leading up to the release of the iPad, every competitor stood around, some even openly admitted they were purposefully delaying production because everyone wanted to see what apple would bring to the table.

When apple released it, many if not most people in the tech-sphere bemoaned that it was too simple, just an oversized iPod touch with comically sized bezels. People said it would fail because it was too simple, and some joked that it wasn't actually really bigger than an iPhone cuz it was all bezel.

Now, a couple years later, everyone is trying to say that this simple design is obvious and that everyone had obviously thought of it before. Well, that may be true, we can't read minds in the past, but apple was the only one with the balls to release such a simple device, I think it's fair to say they deserve to reap the benefits of their bold move.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Now that the judge believes that Samsung has infringed Apple's IP, Apple is still a patent troll, because they 'sue'?

:confused:

See above. If we were to follow such a black-white reasoning Apple would be a troll in all of europe, except germany (and more specifically, the texas of europe).

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1212805/

Oh dear Apple, liar liar pants on fire! And Karmas a bitch!

And good luck with trying to explain to the court just how the evidence you presented was NOT based on the final Galaxy Tab product, and also lets not forget the European courts take a VERY, VERY dim view on monopolies and companies that abuse their positions for competition.....

Are all Apple fans that blind? Do you always believe everything Apple tells you? They are a company just like any other, they will do anything to win, and yes, lie too.

If this turns out to be true, Apple is screwed. Manipulating legal documents is not just illegal, it will turn the whole thing around 180 degrees.

Are you kidding?
Apple brings in more negative press than most tech companies lately, particularly related to iOS and iOS development, it's just people like you dominate the tech press, and give Apple a pass on pretty much anything.

They filed a doctored image as evidence to a European Judge, in order to stop the immediate sale of a competitor's product.
The Judge will tear them a new one, if not throw the case straight out.

The evidence is clear as day, go look at the images in the orginal court filing. They are doctored, Apple will lose even if they have a valid case.

This is pretty f'ed up...they purposely photoshop'd it to look more like the ipad than it actually does...wow.
I gotta say I don't see why Apple is so bent on killing the new galaxy tab -- they didn't seem to mind when the original came out...just cause this one has a larger screen? What about all the other android tablets out there with 10"+ screens? Pissing off samsung = not a good idea...especially when other divisions of samsung supply displays \ components \ NAND \ SSDs to apples products.

After the judge is forced to overturn the verdict and allow the Tab to be sold, the CEO of Samsung should say ..

"and another thing...Steve Jobs : Go F'k yourself and find some other place to provide 75% of the parts for your products"

I will tell you exactly what will happen if Apple is found guilty of providing/falsifying evidence.

LTD, and others like him will look a little like this

All this makes me feel so uneasy about buying an iPad. I haven't bought one yet, but I plan to. I probably still will.

Apple makes great products... it's just their business ethics are rather questionable when it comes to competition.

Some legal assistant just lost their job.

There's going to be hell to pay for this.

No matter how you cut it Apple screwed up big time.

They should of made damn sure that the photo they used looked like the product Samsung was selling. Using photos of a prototype was bad. Apple has a good chances of its entire case being lost and then some extra punishment for this screw up.

They should of checked but Apple screwed up big time.

Well, too bad for Apple.
The Samsung tab was hardly affecting Apple, and now Apple has dug itself into the ground with this one.

Apple you don't own the rights to make a device a shape !!

get over it already and enjoy the fair competition.

Or, sue every TV maker for obviously copying the iMac design

Oh LTD - the day I take advice from you on what I should and should not believe as it pertains to Apple will be the coldest day in hell. Believe me.

Wha' happen guys?

Well my head didn't explode after all. And it might just be the coldest day in hell (if you're smart, that is.)

I'll tell you what happened. Absolutely nothing happened. This is nothing new. This is Apple being Apple from DAY 1. Apple patents as many facets of their creation as they can, and seeks to enforce them from every angle using available legal, and perfectly accessible (to any other company) judicial mechanisms. They did here exactly what they've been doing since Day 1. Exactly what you and I would be doing in their position.

Apple is nothing like Microsoft in this regard. Apple has not acted illegally by donig any of this. Apple has not placed their partners or anyone else under any form of duress. Apple is simply riding the wave (which is now a self-feeding ocean) of consistent (and rising) consumer demand for all things Apple.

They are no more litigious today than before. They do, however, have more products in the market. So there is more to protect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._litigation

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20003807-260.html

They have always been aggressive in this regard, IP litigation. This goes back to the 80s. So getting upset about all this is a little late. Further, some of you need to see things from a corporate perspective, not just a consumer one.

This is nothing new. Nor is there anything wrong with it. These mechanisms are available to everyone.

Some companies pursue their IP rights and their enforcement through the courts on a regular basis, some don't. Apple happens to take it very seriously (and so they should), though, and they always have, especially when it comes to "look and feel" and trade dress suits.

This time, Apple got the competition on a Community Design registration.

To license or not to license

If Apple seems unique in this regard, they probably are. Apple doesn't look for many licensing deals. Licensing to everyone would of course, make them money, but it's also a recipe for stagnation, derivative products, and loss of control.

Apple isn't looking to make a quick buck through pushing sheer volume. That's the money game. Yes, they're in that, but they're much more in the great products game. That's why you see customer satisfaction ratings consistently throughout the roof for Apple gear year after year. Good luck achieving that under a multitude of licensing deals. This should already be apparent to most people. From their perspective (and it's a ballsy one), why not protect the uniqueness and desirability of their product? Why disrespect it by allowing others to take a cavalier attitude with it? So Apple usually chooses instead to protect their products by patenting as many facets of them as they can, and then they go about enforcing it wherever they can (and often when the time is right.)

It's smart. And it's the reason (though not the only one) they are not only alive and kicking today but leading the industry in unprecedented ways.

This is all about new market realities in the Post-PC era. And it's time for Apple's rivals like Samsung to step up their game, and oh I don't know, maybe pull off an Apple-like June 2007 or January 2010. Or is only Apple capable of such things? Maybe.

Last edited:

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
why always posting news about samsung galaxy ??? like we really cared... :rolleyes:

We should care. Samsung is a competitor of Apple. If Samsung became innovative, then they will have the largest market share. When they have the largest market share, Apple will notice this and will innovate even more. That's when Apple will make products that are better.

:apple: rules

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Oh boy! :)

I bet Jony Ive is ready with a handful, already.

You need to follow Raymond Loewy, a bit more closely. :)
Since the folks here seem to bash every other tablet manufacturer (namely Samsung) for designing a tablet that somewhat resembles the iPad. Are they are any viable modern tablet designs?

Oh, I really wonder why Samsung is being victimised. While the Playbook looks more like the iPad than the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
playbooknavigator.jpg

muncyweb

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Apple went from being the cute fruity underdog to a completely fascist corporation that competes by patent trolling and using local law enforcement to do its muscle work. Congrats Apple you did the impossible by out douch bagging Microsoft.

Patent trolling my foot. These products are blatant rip-offs of great design by Apple. On the one hand it's quite a compliment to have ALL of your products replicated. On the other hand it's infringement, plain and simple. The exactness to which Samsung copied Apple on this, not only in their hardware, but in examples I've seen of their software as well, made me sick to my stomach when I watched some of their keynotes. Heck, even the presentations are similar!

samehands.jpg

STAGE looks like Apple.
PRODUCT looks like Apple.
PEOPLE look and sound like Apple.

Samsung should be ashamed of their lack of effort and originality.

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you LTD for that wonderful helping of some of grubers claim chowder. I couldn't believe how violently people asserted apple had destroyed their whole case. It's more amazing that your generally well thought out responses and critiques have such a shaky reputation on these forums.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1212805/
Wha' happen guys?

Well my head didn't explode after all. And it might just be the coldest day in hell (if you're smart, that is.)

I'll tell you what happened. Absolutely nothing happened. This is nothing new. This is Apple being Apple from DAY 1. Apple patents as many facets of their creation as they can, and seeks to enforce them from every angle using available legal, and perfectly accessible (to any other company) judicial mechanisms. They did here exactly what they've been doing since Day 1. Exactly what you and I would be doing in their position.

Apple is nothing like Microsoft in this regard. Apple has not acted illegally by dong any of this. Apple has not placed their partners or anyone else under any for of duress. Apple is simply riding the wave (which is now a self-feeding ocean) of consistent (and rising) consumer demand for all things Apple.

They are no more litigious today than before. They do, however, have more products in the market. So there is more to protect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._litigation

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20003807-260.html

They have always been aggressive in this regard, IP litigation. This goes back to the 80s. So getting upset about all this is a little late. Further, some of you need to see things from a corporate perspective, not just a consumer one.

This is nothing new. Nor is there anything wrong with it. These mechanisms are available to everyone.

Some companies pursue their IP rights and their enforcement through the courts on a regular basis, some don't. Apple happens to take it very seriously (and so they should), though, and they always have, especially when it comes to "look and feel" and trade dress suits.

To license or not to license

If Apple seems unique in this regard, they probably are. Apple doesn't look for many licensing deals. Licensing to everyone would of course, make them money, but it's also a recipe for stagnation, derivative products, and loss of control.

Apple isn't looking to make a quick buck through pushing sheer volume. This should already be apparent to most people. They could, but from their perspective (and it's a ballsy one), why not protect the uniqueness and desirability of their product? Why disrespect it by allowing others to take a cavalier attitude with it? So Apple usually chooses instead to protect their products by patenting as many facets of them as they can, and then they go about enforcing it wherever they can (and often when the time is right.)

It's smart. And the reason (though not the only one) they are not only alive and kicking today but leading the industry un unprecedented ways.

lol

Looks like you prepared for this all along. Remember the fight is not b/w the members of this community but b/w Apple and Samsung. Don't make this personal.

Relax.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
I agree, people want to make Apple out to be the bad one when Samsung is the one infringing. Law is the law.

Infringing? Uh one is shaped like a rectangle and one is shaped squarish. To say Apple should have exclusivity over rounded edged devices is like saying Monsanto should have rights over all seeds because they produce GMOs. To be honest I am seeing a lot of similarities between Apple and Monsanto especially when it comes to unethical business practices.

Arnold Ziffel

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
There are many posters here who clearly do not understand what a 'patent troll' is. I believe you'll find the definition does not fit what Apple is doing, which is protecting their IP!

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Samsung said it will appeal. The ruling “severely limits consumer choice in Germany” and “restricts design innovation and progress in the industry,” the company said in a statement e- mailed after the ruling was issued.

Samsung, if you had innovated to begin with, you wouldn’t be in this predicament. Don’t twist words and expect us to accept your spin.

innovation |ˌinəˈvā sh ən|
noun
the action or process of innovating.
• a new method, idea, product, etc.

Samsung, if you’re second or third to the market (by quite a margin) with a device essentially mirroring that of the first to the market (as has now also been established in court), your product is not a new idea. You are not innovating!!

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Apple is just getting ridiculous. It is easy to see how different tech companies take some ideas here and there and do their own stuff with it. I love Apple products, but I am seriously starting to reconsider what products I use because of this crap. It is starting to get old real fast.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Haa! They don't.

But hey, did you really say all of them infringe? So basically, the problem lies with the fact that Apple should have never been awarded that patent?

Is not a patent and yes, Community Design awarding in Europe is a mess. They get awarded without checking nothing

http://www.osnews.com/story/25056/The_Community_Design_and_you_Thought_the_USPTO_Was_Bad

Actually, Samsung has some Community Designs that are as hilarious as the one from Apple.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Seriously, does this look anything like the iPad?
samsung-galaxy-tab-101-tablet-pre-order-rear.jpg

Compared to this.
12._ipad_2_rear_2.jpg

You might argue the front is similar but the Tab is an entirely different device.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
There are many posters here who clearly do not understand what a 'patent troll' is. I believe you'll find the definition does not fit what Apple is doing, which is protecting their IP!

Cast not your pearls, my friend . . . but let's go for another try. Maybe this time it'll stick.

A "patent troll" is an entity that has given up on product manufacturing and focused its business solely on attempts to license its intellectual property.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Just read that on Engadget. Yep, Apple now owns minimalistic design in Germany for tablets.

Dutch court says No, Germany says Yes. Score is now 1 : 1.

The problem with minimalistic designs is there's so little scope for differentiating one's own design.

I still can't fathom how Samsung's design can be deemed a copy of the iPad, without the iPad also being deemed a copy of Samsung's own digital picture frame. Even if you argue it's not a tablet, it still is an original, prior design by Samsung.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
No, they own a specific minimalistic design in Germany. The lack of imagination in these threads about alternative designs for a tablet is amazing. Especially, considering the dozen of alternative designs that have been posted.

I think there are not too much possible designs for a useful tablet. The black/white/any-color margins are necessary for hardware casing, so a zero-margin tablet is not economically viable right now (without compromising the device's thickness). Also, 4:3 or 16:9 or 3:2 proportions are not what we can call "never-seen-before" form factors, so Apple doesn't own none of them.

I also can't imagine Samsung's 7.7" tablet having the same treatment from germany courts as it is clearly different from Apple's one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.