Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, you had me use superlatives where I used none. I never said they were all complex, I said most. Then you parade around one proof of concept that was simple and act like that disproved that many were complex, but again, can I buy a crunchpad? Did they invest millions of dollars on bringing it to consumers hands? It's hardly the same thing as creating and releasing a functioning device, and that's exactly my point. Simple as it is, no one had actually released and mass marketed a simple tablet.

As for all this nonsense about how other form factors still exist, that's great, I'm happy for them. Thats not what the galaxy tab was, and that's the point. The galaxy tab was made to have people think of the iPad.

Finally, the courts and many others disagree with you that apples design isn't unique. Accept it, many people feel that the galaxy tab was uninspired and a quick-to-production scramble to compete with the newly released iPad 2. I personally think that apple deserves to be rewarded for standing on stage and delivering what many thought was lame, but when actually used was amazing. Apparently, you don't appreciate apples fundamental game change and so don't think they deserve to be the only ones profiting from their design. Fair enough, but since your belief isn't being upheld by the courts, you're going to have to spend much more time justifying your position to yourself than the person who agrees with what the judges are seeing.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I do like that design. I have a TOC Samsung display and it's quite lovely.

This is OT, but i think they overdo it quite often. But when they do it with a TOUCH of color, then yes. It looks really great. I also like their brushed alu. TVs (only the black one though). Makes me wonder if brushed alu would make it distinctive enough, not be seen as infringing. Based on the design registration itself it is quite hard to know. (which is what really bothers me here. obviously theres a continuum, and obviously the judge feels that samsung crossed the line. But where is that line to be drawn? Imo, the judge have somewhat of an obligation of making that explicit, so that others can react and change their designs accordingly. Changing designs, after the fact, is way harder than changing them in advance.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
If Samsung dominates tablet market, Apple can lose an important panel supplier. Moreover, Samsung can provide better hardware for a better price as it produces its own parts. If patent trolling doesn't work, they'll be pressed to buy/merge a hardware company like LG, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.

Google-Motorola can change licensing terms for Android so we'll see a game-change again putting Samsung in trouble. Nokia, however gets time to evolve its partnership with Microsoft. These two companies are practically immune to patent lawsuits as they have a big arsenal of IP.

In this sense, Apple is just trying to keep its #1 position while it can. It looks like we'll see new strong players soon.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The difference is Apple has the best spin machine peroid. No one in any industry can sell bs the way Apple can. Whether or not they are superior is up for debate, I don't buy Apple products because of their association with foxconn, the walled garden ecosystem and quite frankly because I can get a equal or better peoduct for less.

And what spin machine would that be? And what bs would Apple be selling now? The fact that you can go into any Apple store and use the product and decide if you like it before you buy it? Or the fact that you have a 14 day return period with full refund priviledges if you don't like it?

:rolleyes:

Interesting how people who clearly have no interest in Apple products find a need to visit Apple-centric websites to vent there Anti-Apple sentiments.

I will take the walled garden any day over the open malware infested cesspool ecosystem.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If Samsung dominates tablet market, Apple can lose an important panel supplier. Moreover, Samsung can provide better hardware for a better price as it produces its own parts. If patent trolling doesn't work, they'll be pressed to buy/merge a hardware company like LG, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.

Google-Motorola can change licensing terms for Android so we'll see a game-change again putting Samsung in trouble. Nokia, however gets time to evolve its partnership with Microsoft. These two companies are practically immune to patent lawsuits as they have a big arsenal of IP.

In this sense, Apple is just trying to keep its #1 position while it can. It looks like we'll see new strong players soon.

You're forgetting a key element.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
wow!

a court originally unsure of ITS OWN jurisdiction now decides in favor of Apple. Having similar "shape" is enough evidence for them.

surprised? I'm not.

I applaud the Dutch court that actually studied and invalidated silly design claims.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA

Attachments

• samsungpictureframe.jpg
    samsungpictureframe.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 76

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, you had me use superlatives where I used none. I never said they were all complex, I said most. Then you parade around one proof of concept that was simple and act like that disproved that many were complex, but again, can I buy a crunchpad? Did they invest millions of dollars on bringing it to consumers hands? It's hardly the same thing as creating and releasing a functioning device, and that's exactly my point. Simple as it is, no one had actually released and mass marketed a simple tablet.

As for all this nonsense about how other form factors still exist, that's great, I'm happy for them. Thats not what the galaxy tab was, and that's the point. The galaxy tab was made to have people think of the iPad.

Finally, the courts and many others disagree with you that apples design isn't unique. Accept it, many people feel that the galaxy tab was uninspired and a quick-to-production scramble to compete with the newly released iPad 2. I personally think that apple deserves to be rewarded for standing on stage and delivering what many thought was lame, but when actually used was amazing. Apparently, you don't appreciate apples fundamental game change and so don't think they deserve to be the only ones profiting from their design. Fair enough, but since your belief isn't being upheld by the courts, you're going to have to spend much more time justifying your position to yourself than the person who agrees with what the judges are seeing.

I know you didnt say all, i just emphasized on the fact that we did, indeed, have a stream of artefacts (or devices) that the ipad can be seen as part of, in turn making the design far less unique and distinct (which i argue is a core criterium to be worthy of protection).

As for the crunchpad, no. It flopped, but that doesnt change the way it was designed. They have a new one out though, whatever they called that in the end. Gridpad or something? Cant remember... they made a phone to go with it too. All in all, somewhat nice... but'll probably fail too. (And yes, they invested millions both the first and the second time around.)

Second: (Well) Functioning or not, it was there. It had the very design that it did. Lets assume for the sake of argument that their next iteration functioned fully well, do you think that they should NOT be able to use the very same design as they used at first, just cause Apple released a more successful device in between?

Third: Thats your opinion, and it is clearly a debated one. The dutch judge, for one, does not agree with you. And, as stated, both the ipad and the tab can be seen as part of the same tablet trajectory.

Fourth: indeed many disagree with me, but many also disagree with you. Clearly, the matter is debatable. I do accept that others feel differently, i just choose to disagree with them. I believe that i am in full right of doing so.

Fifth: Apple is being payed off, extremely well i might add. And yes, they changed the game - like so many before. Yet, i have rarely, if ever, seen anyone argue in favor of other game-changers, calling for them to have monopoly rights to a certain device (or in this case, design).

Sixth: My belief was upheld by the court of Netherlands. As such, you have (at the very least) the same burden as i.

----------

Technically a square is a special rectangle, or so I've been.

It indeed is.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
Maybe it's time we hear calls for Samsung and the other also-rans to step up their game, instead of more whining. You know, maybe ask why Samsung et al can't or don't want to (probably both) pull off a June 2007 or January 2010.

Or is only Apple capable of such significant and market-altering moves? seems to be in their DNA.

It could have been the HP CEO doing that "iPad" keynote. It could have been the Samsung CEO doing that "iPhone" keynote.

Well, actually no. It couldn't have. And we all know why.

They did step up their game and that's why Apple is suing. Creative did the same thing to Apple a few years back with the original iPod. Apple sees the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a legitimate threat.

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Note that Apple didn't seek to block the Xoom or the Playbook or the Touchpad, and I very much doubt they'll consider the design of either of Sony's new tablets an infringement, either.

Samsung messed up.

Trudy

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2004
Ok, show me another way to design a modern tablet. :)

"Modern" is your key word here. Apple just defined the "modern" tablet with the unprecedented design of the iPad. Now everybody's trying to copy, and copying another's design is what this is is all about.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If apple legitimately thinks they are protecting their IP, that's one thing. But if they see this as a means of stifling competition, that is another. Given that other companies infringe on this obvious design, I would say that apple is attacking the biggest seller, which makes me think it's a competitive tool, and that makes me sad.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
And what spin machine would that be? And
Interesting how people who clearly have no interest in Apple products find a need to visit Apple-centric websites to vent there Anti-Apple sentiments.

I will take the walled garden any day over the open malware infested cesspool ecosystem.
Being interested in Apple products and rumours are different than criticising business practices. :rolleyes:

If you think Samsung is copying Apple. How would you design a modern tablet? Let's see... a rectangular/square slab with either touch or physical buttons and ports etc. that sounds very generic to me.

Trudy

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2004
I don't understand how one uses a photo frame "against" Apple...

Samsung has also had a photo frame design that looks like this since 2006.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/samsung-digital-picture-frame-stores-pics-movies-music/

So who copied who?

Have you seen that photo frame from other angles? It looks nothing like an iPad overall and couldn't be mistaken for one in any way. Samsung's actual tablets from the time look nothing like an iPad from any angle either.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i find the a bit ridiculous , whats Sumsung supposed to do , building a round tablet?or a oval shaped one? or maybe something totally odd shaped , and what materials ..should they use gold or maybe platin , sure it will be aluminium or silver /black painted plastic would be a otion , but then again it will look like a iPad
a tablet is today nothing else then a display with some processing unit behind , widescreen is used today nobody will go back to 4:3 displays so that means the tablet gets a rectangular shape and will automaitcally look like a ipad if you squint a bit

i guess Apple lost the plot like that judge , competition was always good for the consumer's pocket

what if mercedes would do the same ...the first 3 and 4 wheeled cars with a petrol powered 4 stoke engine had been build by Karl Benz ....should Mercedes now go to courts around the world to enforce a ban on all other car manufacturers for selling 4 wheeled cars with 4 stroke engines and force the other manufacturers to build 5 wheeled vehicles or so..... as they infringe the initial design of Karl Benz

Last edited:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
i find the a bit ridiculous , whats sumsung supposed to do , building a round tablet?or a oval shaped one? or maybe something totally odd shaped , and what materials ..should thay use gold or maybe platin , sure it will be aluminium or silver /black painted plastic would be a otion , but then again it will look like a iPad
a tablet is today nothing else then a display with some processing unit behind , widescreen is used today nobody will go back to 4:3 displays so that means the tablet gets a rectangular shape and will automaitcally look like a ipad if you squint a bit

i guess Appple lost the plot like that judge , competition was always good for the consumer's pocket

what if mercedes would do the same ...the first 4 wheeled car with a petrol powered 4 stoke engine was build by Karl Benz ....should mercedes now go to courts around the world to to enforce a ban on all other cars as they infringe the initial design of Karl Benz
Bingo! Guess Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, Embraer will have to pay $$$$ to the Wright family because they infringe on the the Wright brothers' first fixed-wing aircraft design. :rolleyes:

There are only so may ways to design a tablet with a landscape orientation. Tablets are pretty much slabs with a screen on top. Regardless of design choice, you would end up a rectangular slab with a screen and some buttons on top.

This thread is riddled with obsessive pro-Apple posts and I know why Apple fans are frowned upon.

Last edited:

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

plus it is not trolling

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

jiggie2g said:
There's one difference.

Consumers keep going nuts over their products. Apple keeps redefining and revolutionizing entire markets. Apple's figured out what makes tech desirable and just keeps doing it.

The difference is Apple has the best spin machine peroid. No one in any industry can sell bs the way Apple can. Whether or not they are superior is up for debate, I don't buy Apple products because of their association with foxconn, the walled garden ecosystem and quite frankly because I can get a equal or better peoduct for less.

Freaky, so why are you even on this site? Again, I say this every time. Why on earth does someone who dislikes a company down so much time on a site dedicated to that company.

I don't think I'd ever visit an android site and post about how much I don't care for their products. What a waste of my time.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Have you seen that photo frame from other angles? It looks nothing like an iPad overall and couldn't be mistaken for one in any way. Samsung's actual tablets from the time look nothing like an iPad from any angle either.
In spite of that, everything expressed in that photo (flush-surface screen with wide black margin and rounded corners) can be considered prior art.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

welcome to Capitalism!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Freaky, so why are you even on this site? Again, I say this every time. Why on earth does someone who dislikes a company down so much time on a site dedicated to that company.

I don't think I'd ever visit an android site and post about how much I don't care for their products. What a waste of my time.

Why do you live in USA if you are pro-republican? (I don't know where do you live, but that's the case: this is a democratic forum)

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
"Modern" is your key word here. Apple just defined the "modern" tablet with the unprecedented design of the iPad. Now everybody's trying to copy, and copying another's design is what this is is all about.

modern is about modern design and consumer electronics trends. not long ago, most tv's had a matte finish. nowadays, finding a matte one is almost impossible. not because someone "defined" the new TV, but because trends in electronics, just like in fashion, change over time. The trend, that the ipad builds on, predates the device itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.