Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
You never know what you can get from e-waste bins.

Yeah; I had always wanted a netbook just because I think they are cool things, even though they are generally cr@ppy. Sure enough, I found one in there last year, complete with charger and healthy battery. I terms of Macs, I got a complete Lime tray-loading iMac and complete PowerMac G4 Cube. (all besides a 2007 aluminum Apple keyboard with numeric pad) The rest of the things were not Apple products, but I hope I can find more in the future. I actually went to one several months ago, which was only being held for a single day... I came back with an eMac, a 1987 Apple RGB display, and a complete and pristine Macintosh Classic II. I have 12 iMac G3s, so I didn't take the poor Graphite which was sitting on its face, but it would have been nice to save. I had to ask the workers what things I could take, and they wanted me to get things because authorities saw, so I was rushed and didn't take a nice LCD 15-17" Studio Display (with chrome logos). Sadly, I feel as if there may have been a Macintosh II in there that I missed. There surely was an old Apple box with the red print... may have been from a Mac II or the RGB monitor---it hurts me every time to think about it. (please tell me if I have explained this all already; I get many Macs and sometimes forget who I have already talked to about each one). But yeah, you never know what you will find in the e-waste... evidently it can be heart-breaking sometimes. (not THAT deep, but you know what I mean xD)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah; I had always wanted a netbook just because I think they are cool things, even though they are generally cr@ppy. Sure enough, I found one in there last year, complete with charger and healthy battery. I terms of Macs, I got a complete Lime tray-loading iMac and complete PowerMac G4 Cube. (all besides a 2007 aluminum Apple keyboard with numeric pad) The rest of the things were not Apple products, but I hope I can find more in the future. I actually went to one several months ago, which was only being held for a single day... I came back with an eMac, a 1987 Apple RGB display, and a complete and pristine Macintosh Classic II. I have 12 iMac G3s, so I didn't take the poor Graphite which was sitting on its face, but it would have been nice to save. I had to ask the workers what things I could take, and they wanted me to get things because authorities saw, so I was rushed and didn't take a nice LCD 15-17" Studio Display (with chrome logos). Sadly, I feel as if there may have been a Macintosh II in there that I missed. There surely was an old Apple box with the red print... may have been from a Mac II or the RGB monitor---it hurts me every time to think about it. (please tell me if I have explained this all already; I get many Macs and sometimes forget who I have already talked to about each one). But yeah, you never know what you will find in the e-waste... evidently it can be heart-breaking sometimes. (not THAT deep, but you know what I mean xD)

Some of the stuff I see in e-waste is far from waste at all. I am not talking about older computers that most view as worthless aside from the community here but rather 2010+ mid and high range PCs! I saw someone chuck a Dell with a Core i7 in there because they "upgraded" to a new model. Most anyone could still be using a Core i7 Dell in good condition with 8 GB of RAM!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Some of the stuff I see in e-waste is far from waste at all. I am not talking about older computers that most view as worthless aside from the community here but rather 2010+ mid and high range PCs! I saw someone chuck a Dell with a Core i7 in there because they "upgraded" to a new model. Most anyone could still be using a Core i7 Dell in good condition with 8 GB of RAM!

Oh yeah, for sure! It's so common to see newer Windows PCs, although most in there were from my school and older. (as wasteful as schools are, they would not chuck an i7) But yeah, Windows PCs lose their value faster, so it's nothing like chucking an i7 Mac, but I cannot believe that happened! It's amazing how many people do those things... I have heard certain stories like that. It's stupid how people upgrade so quickly. I am sure, while the e-waste issues are trying to be solved, we will see more frequent disposals of newer computers, in the e-waste. Aside from that 2009 netbook, I did pull out a 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo Dell laptop in perfect condition---working battery too. I also pulled out a Centrino Core 2 Dup Gateway laptop from 2007-2008. Sure, nothing special, but it was definitely not a SUPER old computer. On the inside, there is absolutely NO wear on the keyboard or anything else. The stickers are still there too. However, the top of the lid is amazingly scratched up, and I see the VGA port has had a lot of use... I have concluded that it spent its short life on a projector, and most of the time it was close-lidded. I put Linux Mint on it and it works nicely... I tried iBoot to install Snow Leopard on it, but it failed xD.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So where exactly can I, as a 14 year old lol, go and get things like this? I would love to take old stuff and keep it or repair it. Most people don't realize that stuff they are throwing out works just fine.

----------

Just to clarify, I mean e-waste places. I know about GameStop dumpster diving, something that I would love to do, but never would for fear of consequences. But I would love to get some "e-waste" for myself! I'm very notorious for collecting what my parents call junk but I find value in.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Oh yeah, for sure! It's so common to see newer Windows PCs, although most in there were from my school and older. (as wasteful as schools are, they would not chuck an i7) But yeah, Windows PCs lose their value faster, so it's nothing like chucking an i7 Mac, but I cannot believe that happened! It's amazing how many people do those things... I have heard certain stories like that. It's stupid how people upgrade so quickly. I am sure, while the e-waste issues are trying to be solved, we will see more frequent disposals of newer computers, in the e-waste. Aside from that 2009 netbook, I did pull out a 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo Dell laptop in perfect condition---working battery too. I also pulled out a Centrino Core 2 Dup Gateway laptop from 2007-2008. Sure, nothing special, but it was definitely not a SUPER old computer. On the inside, there is absolutely NO wear on the keyboard or anything else. The stickers are still there too. However, the top of the lid is amazingly scratched up, and I see the VGA port has had a lot of use... I have concluded that it spent its short life on a projector, and most of the time it was close-lidded. I put Linux Mint on it and it works nicely... I tried iBoot to install Snow Leopard on it, but it failed xD.

Most people don't understand that when a PC slows down, it usually just needs a clean up or fresh reload. To them it is trash then since it is "so slow".

So where exactly can I, as a 14 year old lol, go and get things like this? I would love to take old stuff and keep it or repair it. Most people don't realize that stuff they are throwing out works just fine.

----------

Just to clarify, I mean e-waste places. I know about GameStop dumpster diving, something that I would love to do, but never would for fear of consequences. But I would love to get some "e-waste" for myself! I'm very notorious for collecting what my parents call junk but I find value in.

Some schools do e-waste bins. My school doesn't so I never have any luck like that. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Most people don't understand that when a PC slows down, it usually just needs a clean up or fresh reload. To them it is trash then since it is "so slow".

Some schools do e-waste bins. My school doesn't so I never have any luck like that. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Yeah, that's very true. As for the bins, it was really lucky that they just had them outside for days, as pre-collection before the big drive date. Now, hopefully they didn't realize the missing items and will continue to do it. It can also depend on whether they bring out their items from storage same-day or have pre-collection bins waiting outside. I transferred into this HS, so I have only been here a full year so far... I have no sure way of knowing. Well, hopefully I can score something, and hopefully it doesn't rain like it did that one time I got my Cube, etc. That quote is very true... funny thing is, the "man's trash" is evidently not always trash. xD

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Yeah, that's very true. As for the bins, it was really lucky that they just had them outside for days, as pre-collection before the big drive date. Now, hopefully they didn't realize the missing items and will continue to do it. It can also depend on whether they bring out their items from storage same-day or have pre-collection bins waiting outside. I transferred into this HS, so I have only been here a full year so far... I have no sure way of knowing. Well, hopefully I can score something, and hopefully it doesn't rain like it did that one time I got my Cube, etc. That quote is very true... funny thing is, the "man's trash" is evidently not always trash. xD

Ah... Thank you very much. As it is, my high school gives up their e-waste, and my old middle school doesn't replace anything and don't have anything of too much value. Anywhere else like a bestbuy or something?

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Taking e-waste from a bin at a store is most likely theft.

What if I ask them? Like if I go in and ask them if they have any e-waste that I can use? They could take out the hdd's if they want, I can get new ones. But that way I'm not stealing it, but still have a chance of getting it.

----------

Besides what people bring in, they have loads of floor models that if damaged or broken; they just chuck them. When they replace them with new models, they chuck them. It's more affordable to fix the broken ones than to buy them. They could be tossing out i7s and probably pretty good graphics cards as well. Going back to the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Last edited:

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Taking e-waste from a bin at a store is most likely theft.

While I would perhaps try this, it just seems to risky. Most of the machines I have ever come across that I have are either donated to me, or I have to buy myself, like my recently acquired MDD.

Not that I wouldn't like dumpster diving, but ya' know, times are tough in the PPC world :D.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
While I would perhaps try this, it just seems to risky. Most of the machines I have ever come across that I have are either donated to me, or I have to buy myself, like my recently acquired MDD.

Not that I wouldn't like dumpster diving, but ya' know, times are tough in the PPC world :D.

Lol... Yeah, I guess attempting to go through life getting stuff handed to you for free, not that my parents give stuff to me, but I try to convince the rest of the world to (notice how this thread started is because of me getting a free PowerMac), probably isn't a good way to live. However, I still have high hopes that if I ask a store like bestbuy that recycles stuff for free, they might be able to give it to me. If they say that I can't because of people's hard drives with their stuff on it, I'll just tell that they can keep it and I'll buy a new one from them, thus giving them a potential customer, and trust me, I shop there VERY often.

lol I have such strange and complex ideas and theories to try an do and get things in life. :cool:

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ok... So I was talking to the tech coordinator and he said I will definitely get it on Thursday... I'm going to try and look at it before time and see what model it is.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
What if I ask them? Like if I go in and ask them if they have any e-waste that I can use? They could take out the hdd's if they want, I can get new ones. But that way I'm not stealing it, but still have a chance of getting it.

----------

Besides what people bring in, they have loads of floor models that if damaged or broken; they just chuck them. When they replace them with new models, they chuck them. It's more affordable to fix the broken ones than to buy them. They could be tossing out i7s and probably pretty good graphics cards as well. Going back to the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

That is most likely done on a store by store basis and most of the chains probably have an official policy on the matter.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That being said, more often than not they are not getting rid of damaged display models. Most of the e-waste drives at stores are for old cell phones and printer ink cartridges along with old batteries.

oh, really? I thoght people brought in computers more than the other things. Also, what would they be doing with the display models that are broken or dated. Ik that you dont work there, and most likely any one else who is subscribed isn't either. I'll try calling my local Best Buy and see what they say about taking e-waste. I'm sure I know the answer though... :(

----------

how funny... as we're talking about e-waste and junk, there is a ad for 1-800-got-junk

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
oh, really? I thoght people brought in computers more than the other things. Also, what would they be doing with the display models that are broken or dated. Ik that you dont work there, and most likely any one else who is subscribed isn't either. I'll try calling my local Best Buy and see what they say about taking e-waste. I'm sure I know the answer though... :(

----------

how funny... as we're talking about e-waste and junk, there is a ad for 1-800-got-junk

In my local chains they either send them back to the chain warehouse to go to a refurbisher or sell them at a discounted rate. Best Buy for instance sells them as open box display units at a steep discount around here.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In my local chains they either send them back to the chain warehouse to go to a refurbisher or sell them at a discounted rate. Best Buy for instance sells them as open box display units at a steep discount around here.

Ah ok. Makes sense that they would do that.

Also, I was unable to find the model number today, so I'll find it tomorrow during break period

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One potential issue is that once something goes into E-waste recycling, the recycler may be bound by their agreement with the person who turned the stuff over to actually recycle it due to data privacy concerns.

Whenever I take a computer for recycling(don't worry, only PCs and never Macs) I always pull the hard drive so this isn't a concern for me, but other folks who may not have the knowledge or ability to do so are often-understandably and reasonably-paranoid about this.

My school now requires that any computer turned into surplus either had the HDD pulled, or the drive wiped with DBAN or a similar programs.

I'll also add that my department's unit business manager has been great about helping me to de-accession 10+ year old computers from the campus inventory so that I can legally take them. Otherwise, I'd be stealing anything I carted off.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I agree. Part of the problem is that they still use the registry which in my mind is a poor technology. The registry has been around since Windows 95 at least and that was a time when Windows was simply built on DOS. That is at least a 20 year old technology in present-day computers! While Windows 7 fixes most of the registry vulnerabilities, it is simply just a big keychain of values that takes just one to screw up a whole system. Apple did it right when they built OS X from the foundation off of UNIX and NeXT.

Your knowledge of this topic appears to be severely limited.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Your knowledge of this topic appears to be severely limited.

Considering that I mainly began with XP in terms of computer use and only began with Macs since 2011 you are right it is limited. That being said, I do understand the fundamentals of the NeXT and UNIX foundation as well as the issues with the Windows registry.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Considering that I mainly began with XP in terms of computer use and only began with Macs since 2011 you are right it is limited. That being said, I do understand the fundamentals of the NeXT and UNIX foundation as well as the issues with the Windows registry.

What registry issues are you referring to?

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Things are simpler in MacOSX, but in an efficient way, not in a way that is meant for stupid people... that is the point I cannot get across to diehard Windows fans. ;)
As a user of both I find neither to be easier / difficult than the other. Each has its strengths and each has its weaknesses. Both or solid operating systems.

----------

The fact that it is the achilles heel of Windows since 3.1.

That doesn't answer the question.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
One potential issue is that once something goes into E-waste recycling, the recycler may be bound by their agreement with the person who turned the stuff over to actually recycle it due to data privacy concerns.

Whenever I take a computer for recycling(don't worry, only PCs and never Macs) I always pull the hard drive so this isn't a concern for me, but other folks who may not have the knowledge or ability to do so are often-understandably and reasonably-paranoid about this.

My school now requires that any computer turned into surplus either had the HDD pulled, or the drive wiped with DBAN or a similar programs.

I'll also add that my department's unit business manager has been great about helping me to de-accession 10+ year old computers from the campus inventory so that I can legally take them. Otherwise, I'd be stealing anything I carted off.

ah i see... well if worse comes to worse if for example they say i can't have it because of the fact that their is a hard drive in it, i could just take it out and they could keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.