Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks! Also, I put in 2 256mb cards that i had lying around. I'll most likely buy the airport card, and i definitely need a new hard drive, this one is WAYYYY TOO LLLLOOOOOUUUUDDDD! I get that its about to be 10 years old, but it needs a new one. I'll try and get it from my tech coordinator and put it in.

If you get a newer drive you may need a jumper on it.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
lolololololol

----------

yes... it did fix it

----------

ok... so i made a user by making it run setup again... so i'm in the process of deleting the old users and then i'll see from there.

----------

oh and lastly, the model is PowerMac7,3 with 2 CPUs running at 2.3 Ghz, 2 GB of Memory, 232.89 GB HDD, ATI Raedon 9600, and strangely no AirPort Card...

Wow, you got a free 2.3Ghz model! Lucky! Those are the best air-cooled models. My G5 came with an airport card but no external antenna, making the card useless. Due to the case design, there needed to be the proprietary Apple antenna in order for the Mac to attain signals. I took mine out and used it on my iMac G4, while just connecting my G5 with ethernet.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Getting a FREE PowerMac G5 ;)

Wow, you got a free 2.3Ghz model! Lucky! Those are the best air-cooled models. My G5 came with an airport card but no external antenna, making the card useless. Due to the case design, there needed to be the proprietary Apple antenna in order for the Mac to attain signals. I took mine out and used it on my iMac G4, while just connecting my G5 with ethernet.

An uninsulated paper clip works great however.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Jeez, the lack of Windows knowledge from the PPC fanatics in here is scary. You really should keep schtum about things you don't understand.

This was my favourite :

The fact that it is the achilles heel of Windows since 3.1.

There was no registry in 3.1. It used .ini files, which were an unmanageable mess.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Lol thanks! And wait, isn't it water cooled? Also, it doesn't have the external antenna or the airport, so I think I'll try the paper clip method that I saw on some posts.

----------

It isn't too ugly, it works well, it is affordable, and it does no damage. Who could ask for more?

Exactly!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Jeez, the lack of Windows knowledge from the PPC fanatics in here is scary. You really should keep schtum about things you don't understand.

This was my favourite :

There was no registry in 3.1. It used .ini files, which were an unmanageable mess.

Originally I stated Windows 95 before being corrected by bunnspecial:

I agree. Part of the problem is that they still use the registry which in my mind is a poor technology. The registry has been around since Windows 95 at least and that was a time when Windows was simply built on DOS. That is at least a 20 year old technology in present-day computers! While Windows 7 fixes most of the registry vulnerabilities, it is simply just a big keychain of values that takes just one to screw up a whole system. Apple did it right when they built OS X from the foundation off of UNIX and NeXT.

The Registry came about with Windows 3.1, which was released in 1992.

For a while, there were two fundamental difference "classes" of Windows OSs-one of which was a shell which ran on top of DOS. All of the 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x versions of Windows were this way, as were Windows 95, 98, and ME. Of course, 95 and later were designed do boot directly to the GUI, while with 3.1 and earlier one would generally boot to DOS first and then load Windows(although there were ways to make DOS automatically load Windows on booting).

In any case, the "other" version of Windows was Windows NT, which was designed from the start as a multi-user OS with a bunch of other features which everyone expects today. The first version of NT was released in 1993-it went through a few numerical versions, ending up at NT 4.0. Windows 2000 was effectively NT 5.0, and all Windows versions released after XP(inclusive) have been based on Windows NT.

The first version I used extensively was 2000, which got a lot of hate at the time but I actually had pretty good luck with it. We still have one computer kicking around the lab(the one running our UV-VIS Spectrophotometer) that is running Windows 2000, and it continues to function well. It was(and is) miles ahead of Windows ME, which was released around the same time and was a disaster.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This fight is getting tense...

Anyway, does anyone know how I can wipe the hard drive? Also, after I wipe it, should I use OS X 10.5.X or stay on 10.4.X... I kinda like the Classic interface and the ability to play some of my childhood games that would require me to find my old desktop parts and hook them up again because of the Classic Environment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Anyway, does anyone know how I can wipe the hard drive? Also, after I wipe it, should I use OS X 10.5.X or stay on 10.4.X... I kinda like the Classic interface and the ability to play some of my childhood games that would require me to find my old desktop parts and hook them up again because of the Classic Environment

I am not in this for a fight. I know that I am not an expert on Windows but I do know that the registry is a vulnerability due to the fact that it is an open playground for any dirtbag to put code into.

10.5 offers better software support and will run just fine on a G5 without issues. 10.4 is faster (even on a G5) but lacks the software options afforded by 10.5 like Leopard WebKit and newer software from Gavin's PowerPC Archive.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

Both of my G5s currently have both 10.4 and 10.5 installed. 10.4 is there specifically for classic support. I prefer 10.5 for day-to-day computing(probably because I started with 10.7 and regressed :) ).

In general, I prefer to run old games and such natively on OS 9. Both my iMac G3 and B&W Powermac G3 default to booting into OS 9, and these are my main computers for playing old games(although my Quicksilver G4 also has OS 9 installed and I'll occasionally use this). Of course, with a G5, classic mode is your only option.

With a dual 2.3, however, you shouldn't see a big performance hit in classic mode like you do running on lower spec computers so I think that you should be fine.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
thank you guys (and or girls, who knows :D) for everything! So how can I upgrade my powermac to 10.5.8? If worse comes to worse, I get a new HDD and reinstall OS X 10.5.8 on that, and then reinstall 10.4.11 on the old one. But for right now, I'll work with what I've got. Any ideas?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Originally I stated Windows 95 before being corrected by bunnspecial:

They be playing semantics to try and score internet points. There was something akin to a very early version of the registry that stored the OLE2/COM settings but it was an add on and not part of a standard Windows 3.1 install. Most likely part of Office 4.3. OLE2 did ship with WfW3.11. Windows 3.1x stored all the OS preferences and settings in .ini files.

I am not in this for a fight. I know that I am not an expert on Windows but I do know that the registry is a vulnerability due to the fact that it is an open playground for any dirtbag to put code into.

10.5 offers better software support and will run just fine on a G5 without issues. 10.4 is faster (even on a G5) but lacks the software options afforded by 10.5 like Leopard WebKit and newer software from Gavin's PowerPC Archive.

The registry isn't the issue, it was the default setting of admin rights for all which provides unlimited access to the registry and the file system, even on later NT based Windows with NTFS. Windows 2000/Active Directory sorted most of this out, the issue was third party application developers assumed everyone had admin rights.

OS X had it right from day one with the concept of elevating privileges only when necessary, which it inherited from *nix.

Anyway back to PPC stuff. ;)

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
thank you guys (and or girls, who knows :D) for everything! So how can I upgrade my powermac to 10.5.8? If worse comes to worse, I get a new HDD and reinstall OS X 10.5.8 on that, and then reinstall 10.4.11 on the old one. But for right now, I'll work with what I've got. Any ideas?

You can either wipe the whole drive and dedicate it to 10.5 or split it into partitions with one for Tiger and one for Leopard.

They be playing semantics to try and score internet points. There was something akin to a very early version of the registry that stored the OLE2/COM settings but it was an add on and not part of a standard Windows 3.1 install. Most likely part of Office 4.3. OLE2 did ship with WfW3.11. Windows 3.1x stored all the OS preferences and settings in .ini files.

The registry isn't the issue, it was the default setting of admin rights for all which provides unlimited access to the registry and the file system, even with NTFS.

OS X had it right from day one with the concept of elevating privileges only when necessary, which it inherited from *nix.

Anyway back to PPC stuff. ;)

So in summary, while the registry itself isn't a vulnerable thing, the security around it is?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You can either wipe the whole drive and dedicate it to 10.5 or split it into partitions with one for Tiger and one for Leopard.

So in summary, while the registry itself isn't a vulnerable thing, the security around it is?

The lack of security, yeah. It probably didn't look like such a bad design decision in early 90s when MS were developing Chicago and most machines were standalone and we used sneakernet. Then Microsoft got caught out by something called the Internet at the beginning of a three year product cycle and millions of machines could suddenly talk to each other.

On the Apple side, OS 8 might have been creaking by this time, but the ease of setting up internet connectivity and the stability of the networking stack was miles ahead of Windows.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The lack of security, yeah. It probably didn't look like such a bad design decision in early 90s when MS were developing Chicago and most machines were standalone and we used sneakernet. Then Microsoft got caught out by something called the Internet at the beginning of a three year product cycle and millions of machines could suddenly talk to each other.

On the Apple side, OS 8 might have been creaking by this time, but the ease of setting up internet connectivity and the stability of the networking stack was miles ahead of Windows.

It is quite a shame that there are dirtbags that hide behind their computers to infect others through the Internet nowadays. The difference between obsolete versions of Windows and obsolete versions of OS X for PPC is that nobody writes to infect OS X for PowerPC. Now Windows XP on the other hand now that it is obsolete I guarantee will turn into a prime target for attack by virus programmers.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
eBay I'd guess?

I've still got a retail copy from launch day somewhere at my Mums...

Ah the days when Operating Systems cost loads of money and came in lovely boxes! :D

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It is quite a shame that there are dirtbags that hide behind their computers to infect others through the Internet nowadays. The difference between obsolete versions of Windows and obsolete versions of OS X for PPC is that nobody writes to infect OS X for PowerPC. Now Windows XP on the other hand now that it is obsolete I guarantee will turn into a prime target for attack by virus programmers.

you do have a point... no one targets old versions of OS X, but XP is a massive target.

----------

eBay I'd guess?

I've still got a retail copy from launch day somewhere at my Mums...

lol

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Ebay probably is indeed your best bet for a retail Leopard disk.

There's been some discussion here recently of getting the system-specific(gray) disks to work on PPC machines, but for the least hassle you need to be sure you're getting the retail disk. The retail disk is black and purple, and has a big X on it.

Ah the days when Operating Systems cost loads of money and came in lovely boxes!

Leopard is nice since the box isn't the size of an encyclopedia :) . I also like the hologram on the outside.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Leopard is nice since the box isn't the size of an encyclopedia :) . I also like the hologram on the outside.

Yep. The Snow Leopard box was just cheap in comparison. As for Lion... :rolleyes:
:D

Dunno why I kept hold of Leopard if I'm honest. Should really have gone with the 2006 MBP when I sold it, as my mini has restore disks for 10.5.6. Cracking little machine that - can run any OS from 10.5 upwards...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yep. The Snow Leopard box was just cheap in comparison. As for Lion... :rolleyes:
:D

Dunno why I kept hold of Leopard if I'm honest. Should really have gone with the 2006 MBP when I sold it, as my mini has restore disks for 10.5.6. Cracking little machine that - can run any OS from 10.5 upwards...

You could sell the disk to a member here. A lot of them need Leopard disks for their older PowerPC hardware.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You could sell the disk to a member here. A lot of them need Leopard disks for their older PowerPC hardware.

Yeah... eBay has nothing... It's all Snow Leopard... I'm guessing someone can't send it to me and then I send it back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.