Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Lol thanks! And wait, isn't it water cooled? Also, it doesn't have the external antenna or the airport, so I think I'll try the paper clip method that I saw on some posts.

----------

Exactly!

No, the (dual) 2.5Ghz, 2.7Ghz, and (quad) 2.5Ghz models were liquid-cooled. The G5 quad received better pumps, making it way more reliable. I still want a quad-core model. As for the 2.5 and 2.7Ghz (dual) G5s, they were prone to leakage. Odd though that I see Craigslist ads and such for the 2.5 and 2.7 dual G5s, listing that the computer works fine... In fact, I have seen many G5s for sale that are those plagued models. I wonder if many indeed DO end up working fine. But you're safe, as you have an air-cooled model.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You could sell the disk to a member here. A lot of them need Leopard disks for their older PowerPC hardware.

I do have a TiBook for running old software, hence why I peek in here occasionally. It's running OS 9 and OS X 10.4.

Most likely wouldn't run Leopard well as it's not officially supported on the 667 and the graphics don't support Core Image.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No, the (dual) 2.5Ghz, 2.7Ghz, and (quad) 2.5Ghz models were liquid-cooled. The G5 quad received better pumps, making it way more reliable. I still want a quad-core model. As for the 2.5 and 2.7Ghz (dual) G5s, they were prone to leakage. Odd though that I see Craigslist ads and such for the 2.5 and 2.7 dual G5s, listing that the computer works fine... In fact, I have seen many G5s for sale that are those plagued models. I wonder if many indeed DO end up working fine. But you're safe, as you have an air-cooled model.

Ah ok... Thank you for clarifying.

----------

That would be a violation of the EULA and is not permitted. The easiest method is to hunt for a copy for sale. Sometimes http://www.shopgoodwill.com has copies for a much more affordable price than eBay.

Thank you! And goodwill only has one listing so maybe I'll try for it.

----------

I searched earlier this evening and there were several copies of Leopard available

Here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OS-X-Ve...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item234380def7

(no connection to seller)

Hmm... I guess I just didn't count on paying that much, but it seems like the only way. Thank you for finding it! The ebay app had a hard time finding stuff for me, idk why.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I do have a TiBook for running old software, hence why I peek in here occasionally. It's running OS 9 and OS X 10.4.

Most likely wouldn't run Leopard well as it's not officially supported on the 667 and the graphics don't support Core Image.

Surprisingly, if you disable the eye candy and do some tweaks, Leopard will run great if given max amount of RAM. What shape is that PowerBook in?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Surprisingly, if you disable the eye candy and do some tweaks, Leopard will run great if given max amount of RAM. What shape is that PowerBook in?

Physically it's pretty much perfect - only a couple of tiny chips to the paint. It was an eBay purchase a few months ago, ex-government agency. Came with 512Mb of RAM, and I've swapped in a spare 7200rpm drive I had lying around. Battery doesn't hold a charge, but nevertheless a bargain for £15.

Came with the documentation and a full restore set, unfortunately they appear to be for a PowerMac G4 so only the OS 9 CD works.

Attachments

• G4_2.png
    G4_2.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Oh? Then to mimic what you asked me when I, earlier, explained concepts w/o giving reasons: Why is it that I am unqualified to discuss how insecure Windows is?
You sound like someone who is just regurgitating what they've read on the Internet (or heard elsewhere) without understanding the topic. I've seen this too many times. But, perhaps you're different and can articulate the issues. So...

You haven't told me why it is that what I have just said is incorrect information. Do you not agree that Windows is extra-susceptible due to these faults? Do you not agree that these faults even exist? Do you doubt the fact that Windows allows its registry to be touched by ANY program? Do you doubt the fact that Windows doesn't really encrypt valuable passwords and instead stores them in plain site?
Specifics please. I have some thoughts on what you may be thinking of but I'm not going to guess. Please provide details of the specific issue you're referring to here.

----------

I am not in this for a fight. I know that I am not an expert on Windows but I do know that the registry is a vulnerability due to the fact that it is an open playground for any dirtbag to put code into.

How is the registry any different than any other operating system information store? This is the question you have failed to answer.

----------

The registry isn't the issue, it was the default setting of admin rights for all which provides unlimited access to the registry and the file system, even on later NT based Windows with NTFS. Windows 2000/Active Directory sorted most of this out, the issue was third party application developers assumed everyone had admin rights.
This! This right here! Windows NT based versions of Windows, of which Windows XP is, had good security which was effectively negated because it wasn't enforced. If a user used a non-privileged account Windows was significantly more resistance to compromise.

----------

So in summary, while the registry itself isn't a vulnerable thing, the security around it is?
If by "security around it" you mean the default user was a member of the administrative group then I guess your summary would be accurate. I wouldn't say this is a failing of Windows as it was easy to correct by using a non-privileged account.

With that said you're referring to a default setting which was changed almost seven years ago and exists in an operating system thirteen years old which is no longer supported. Perhaps we can set some ground rules and limit the discussion to operating systems currently in mainstream support? I might even go so far as to say extended support if you wanted to pick up Vista.

----------

That would be a violation of the EULA and is not permitted. The easiest method is to hunt for a copy for sale. Sometimes http://www.shopgoodwill.com has copies for a much more affordable price than eBay.

It would be nice if Apple would open these older versions of the OS up to all who wanted them. They're not going to lose any money by doing so. People using these older systems have either purchased later model systems or have no intention of doing so.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Physically it's pretty much perfect - only a couple of tiny chips to the paint. It was an eBay purchase a few months ago, ex-government agency. Came with 512Mb of RAM, and I've swapped in a spare 7200rpm drive I had lying around. Battery doesn't hold a charge, but nevertheless a bargain for £15.

Came with the documentation and a full restore set, unfortunately they appear to be for a PowerMac G4 so only the OS 9 CD works.

Not a bad looking machine. I always wanted a Titanium PowerBook.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
You sound like someone who is just regurgitating what they've read on the Internet (or heard elsewhere) without understanding the topic. I've seen this too many times. But, perhaps you're different and can articulate the issues. So...

Specifics please. I have some thoughts on what you may be thinking of but I'm not going to guess. Please provide details of the specific issue you're referring to here.

----------

How is the registry any different than any other operating system information store? This is the question you have failed to answer.

----------

This! This right here! Windows NT based versions of Windows, of which Windows XP is, had good security which was effectively negated because it wasn't enforced. If a user used a non-privileged account Windows was significantly more resistance to compromise.

----------

If by "security around it" you mean the default user was a member of the administrative group then I guess your summary would be accurate. I wouldn't say this is a failing of Windows as it was easy to correct by using a non-privileged account.

With that said you're referring to a default setting which was changed almost seven years ago and exists in an operating system thirteen years old which is no longer supported. Perhaps we can set some ground rules and limit the discussion to operating systems currently in mainstream support? I might even go so far as to say extended support if you wanted to pick up Vista.

----------

It would be nice if Apple would open these older versions of the OS up to all who wanted them. They're not going to lose any money by doing so. People using these older systems have either purchased later model systems or have no intention of doing so.

I have some old Windows laptops where if you click the 'X' on the login window, it logs you in. Fast-forward to XP where you can (I forget how) connect to a printer or some device from the login window, thus granting you further into files, eventually letting you access admin folders. At least that stuff is fixed now, but Windows still has the issue where no user's folders are private to others. You can access a user's 'everything' from your own user.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Not a bad looking machine. I always wanted a Titanium PowerBook.

I threw in the blurry eBay pic from the listing. After a quick spruce up with some Ambersil foaming cleaner it came up virtually as new. No visible wear to the trackpad or keyboard and everything works other than the battery.

It was the first of a new generation of laptop machines, you can see how the AluBook and the MBPs built on the TiBook design, before the next step change with the unibody series machines.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I'm a few years older than you, but went through sort of the same progression of PCs. At the time, my dad ran a tax return business from home, and as a necessity through most of the 90s would upgrade his computer every couple of years.

The first computer I used was his first computer-a Tandy 1000 that he bought in the mid-80s. He had maxed it out with a full 640kb of RAM, dual floppy drives, an internal 30mb HDD, and even an internal modem(a business necessity for him to electronically file tax returns). The first computer I seriously used was his 386, passed down to me when he upgraded to a 486. The 386 too had been maxed out, with a math co-processor and 5mb(1mb in DIPPs, and the other 4mb as 4x1mb 30pin SIPPs) of RAM, a Sounblaster with an external CD-ROM drive, and a secondary internal 256mb HDD to supplement the factory 40mb. We later upgraded the RAM to a screaming 17mb by replacing the 1mb SIPPs with 4mb SIPPs.

In any case, the first computer I really seriously got into doing my own work on was an off-brand tower with a Cyrix 6x86 at 266mhz. I put a CD burner in it and had a couple of GB of disk space. My Windows 2000 experimenting was done on an AMD K6...

My first real exposure to Macs were when I was in high school. Our main computer lab had a room full of tray-loading iMac G3s, which were dated even at the time(2002-2006) and were notoriously unreliable. I think that they had at least been upgraded to OS 9, but still would randomly freeze or shutdown for no apparent reason-we were admonished to continuously save our work-something I'm still in the habit of these days. Those did not leave me with a positive impression of Macs. My experience in Journalism class, at least, was a bit better with using Pagemaker and Quark on a B&W G3 to do the layouts for the school newspaper.

In any case, I'm glad that I've "seen the light" and have been making up for lost time :) . My freshman year of college, my room mate had a new 15" Powerbook(what we now call the DLSD-HR) that I always admired. I was "plugged in" enough to know that the Intel transition was underway at the time(fall 2006) and had some discussion with him about his choice of the Powerbook over a Macbook Pro.

Having recently acquired an identical computer, I spent all of last week intentionally using it for "work stuff" and was impressed by how useable a late generation Powerbook still is. I didn't do anything too heavy duty, but put used it to put together my biweekly research presentation in Powerpoint(which also involved some pretty heavy use of Excel) and used it to give the presentation.

For the sake of comparison, I also dug out the laptop I bought for my freshman year of college-a Gateway running Windows XP(still). Although it will still boot and run, the Powerbook remains far more useable. Admittedly, though, the Gateway was $500 at the time and the Powerbook $2000. I actually quit using the Gateway in 2008 because it had become too slow to really accomplish anything on.

But, that's probably enough rambling about past computers I've used for the evening :)

Mind if I share my Windows story?

It's funny that many Windows fans accuse me of never having used a Windows computer, when in-fact my first computer was also a Windows PC, and I have used 2000 through Windows 7 thoroughly. Back in 2001-2002 (I'm only 17, so I was pretty young then), my brother and I shared this Windows 98 or 2000 Compaq desktop, those ones with the bulgy front bezel and swing-open door for audio jacks, USB ports, etc. Accompanying it was a huge ~17" CRT. Since it was before we needed to be doing computer work, we simply played games on it... however, I remember it being very slow and crashing. We'd play things like Tonka Joe Construction, Tonka Joe Space station, Toy Story, Harry Potter I, etc. I think I remember, as a four year-old, agreeing with my brother's criticism that Windows was "stuck in the past" xD. Whelp, the movers dropped the computer, which made things worse, and we ended up throwing it out in around 2003. I am not sure if we had received it brand new, but something tells me that my dad would have never used it himself. (especially since he had the super high-end HP Omnibook 6000, which he bought in 2000). Granted, we had an old (about 1996) PowerMac sitting in the same room, but it was borrowed and never taken back... for a good reason, which you probably know.

Anyway, we switched to Macs in 2004. My dad had alternated between Windows PCs and Macs over the years, due to his work, but this was our first time fully going Mac and never going back. Even the HORRIBLE headache of the original iMac G5 didn't turn us back. I am glad we did escaped Windows, but it's nice to have credits under your belt from having used Windows PCs too, and before using a Mac!

I am sure I left out some details, but nothing interesting. I do wish we hadn't thrown out that computer, during a move, but I am sure we would have had gotten rid of it later if not sooner.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

I run it on an unsupported 733 MHz Digital Audio with the stock GeForce 2 and it runs just fine. Leopard seems more RAM hungry than processor hungry on the systems that are on the cusp of running it.

And to OP: I wish I were that lucky and got some free G5's.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I have some old Windows laptops where if you click the 'X' on the login window, it logs you in. Fast-forward to XP where you can (I forget how) connect to a printer or some device from the login window, thus granting you further into files, eventually letting you access admin folders. At least that stuff is fixed now, but Windows still has the issue where no user's folders are private to others. You can access a user's 'everything' from your own user.

Fast forward to XP? Seriously? Windows XP is thirteen years old and is no longer supported by Microsoft. Surely you can do better than to dredge up examples from operating systems that pre-date a thirteen year old operating system!

Seriously...I gave you an opportunity to engage in a sensible discussion and the best you can come up with is fast forwarding to a thirteen year old operating system? If this is the best you can do you are woefully unable to discuss this topic.

----------

Mind if I share my Windows story?

It's funny that many Windows fans accuse me of never having used a Windows computer, when in-fact my first computer was also a Windows PC, and I have used 2000 through Windows 7 thoroughly. Back in 2001-2002 (I'm only 17, so I was pretty young then), my brother and I shared this Windows 98 or 2000 Compaq desktop, those ones with the bulgy front bezel and swing-open door for audio jacks, USB ports, etc. Accompanying it was a huge ~17" CRT. Since it was before we needed to be doing computer work, we simply played games on it... however, I remember it being very slow and crashing. We'd play things like Tonka Joe Construction, Tonka Joe Space station, Toy Story, Harry Potter I, etc. I think I remember, as a four year-old, agreeing with my brother's criticism that Windows was "stuck in the past" xD. Whelp, the movers dropped the computer, which made things worse, and we ended up throwing it out in around 2003. I am not sure if we had received it brand new, but something tells me that my dad would have never used it himself. (especially since he had the super high-end HP Omnibook 6000, which he bought in 2000). Granted, we had an old (about 1996) PowerMac sitting in the same room, but it was borrowed and never taken back... for a good reason, which you probably know.

Anyway, we switched to Macs in 2004. My dad had alternated between Windows PCs and Macs over the years, due to his work, but this was our first time fully going Mac and never going back. Even the HORRIBLE headache of the original iMac G5 didn't turn us back. I am glad we did escaped Windows, but it's nice to have credits under your belt from having used Windows PCs too, and before using a Mac!

I am sure I left out some details, but nothing interesting. I do wish we hadn't thrown out that computer, during a move, but I am sure we would have had gotten rid of it later if not sooner.

It seems that you are the one stuck in the past. You roll off example after example of Windows problems yet the oldest date I can find is 2004! Windows 98??? Windows 2000??? Please...do yourself a favor and refrain from discussing anything Windows related. If you lack experience with a version of Window still in main stream support (hell, I'll even give you extended support) you're woefully equipped to discuss it.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I run it on an unsupported 733 MHz Digital Audio with the stock GeForce 2 and it runs just fine. Leopard seems more RAM hungry than processor hungry on the systems that are on the cusp of running it.

And to OP: I wish I were that lucky and got some free G5's.

Lol thanks...

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Fast forward to XP? Seriously? Windows XP is thirteen years old and is no longer supported by Microsoft. Surely you can do better than to dredge up examples from operating systems that pre-date a thirteen year old operating system!

Seriously...I gave you an opportunity to engage in a sensible discussion and the best you can come up with is fast forwarding to a thirteen year old operating system? If this is the best you can do you are woefully unable to discuss this topic.

----------

It seems that you are the one stuck in the past. You roll off example after example of Windows problems yet the oldest date I can find is 2004! Windows 98??? Windows 2000??? Please...do yourself a favor and refrain from discussing anything Windows related. If you lack experience with a version of Window still in main stream support (hell, I'll even give you extended support) you're woefully equipped to discuss it.

So just because I tell a story of myself using Windows when 2000 was mainstream, you think I haven't used anything newer than XP? How about you refrain from false assumptions and stay out of this conversation, which isn't yours in the first place. I have already discussed the issues with Windows 7, and you are either in denial or just don't even wish to read or comprehend what I say. Don't play dumb and ask me to elaborate to a degree where the explanation could be suitable for a 5 year-old. Lastly, don't act as if each Windows OS is its own thing. Many of the problems Windows has today can date back to much older versions.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Does it harm collector's value if the keyboard isn't the original U.S. one? (BTW, correct me if I am wrong about the keyboard on your TiBook. The picture is hard to see, but it looks as if you have a U.K. keyboard) I know it wouldn't harm the value in the U.K., but it's not as if classic Macs aren't dealt with on an international level. I guess one can simply swap the keyboard; that L-shaped return key is pretty eye-popping to see. (in an interesting way) Come to think of it, many countries have L-shaped return keys and I don't know why. It is a rather odd-looking key.

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

By the way, most Windows fans regurgitate what they hear online, and have zero Mac experience. I for one actually have experience working with Windows... If I didn't know anything about Windows, I wouldn't know what to do with my ~20 Windows PCs.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
So just because I tell a story of myself using Windows when 2000 was mainstream, you think I haven't used anything newer than XP? How about you refrain from false assumptions and stay out of this conversation, which isn't yours in the first place. I have already discussed the issues with Windows 7, and you are either in denial or just don't even wish to read or comprehend what I say. Don't play dumb and ask me to elaborate to a degree where the explanation could be suitable for a 5 year-old. Lastly, don't act as if each Windows OS is its own thing. Many of the problems Windows has today can date back to much older versions.

I asked you to provide specific examples of issues regarding current (defined as any version of Windows in mainstream support) versions of Windows. You have failed to do so. All you have provided is vague commentary regarding version of Windows prior to Windows XP...itself a thirteen year old, unsupported operating system.

If you've got specific issues with current versions of Windows I'd be happy to discuss them. Until such time the only conclusion I'm left with is your complete and utter lack of understanding regarding Windows. Any such comments you make regarding it will be summarily dismissed. And finally if you don't want to be treated like a five year old then don't act like one. I've attempted to engage you in a sensible discussion and so far you have failed to take me up on that offer.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
By the way, most Windows fans regurgitate what they hear online, and have zero Mac experience. I for one actually have experience working with Windows... If I didn't know anything about Windows, I wouldn't know what to do with my ~20 Windows PCs.
Irrelevant. This is not a discussion about "most Windows fans". This is an attempt at a discussion regarding your claim Windows is insecure ("don't get me started with how insecure Windows is"). You opened this door now I expect you to deliver with specific examples. Telling me you have ~20 Windows systems doesn't do anything to support your case. Providing specific examples will.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Does it harm collector's value if the keyboard isn't the original U.S. one? (BTW, correct me if I am wrong about the keyboard on your TiBook. The picture is hard to see, but it looks as if you have a U.K. keyboard) I know it wouldn't harm the value in the U.K., but it's not as if classic Macs aren't dealt with on an international level. I guess one can simply swap the keyboard; that L-shaped return key is pretty eye-popping to see. (in an interesting way) Come to think of it, many countries have L-shaped return keys and I don't know why. It is a rather odd-looking key.

It indeed a UK keyboard, which comes in handy since I'm British and live in the UK. ;)

Pretty much all Apple international keyboards have a double height enter key. The "\" key is repositioned on the end of the row below, and there's an extra symbol key to the left of "Z". My 2006 MBP was bought in the US, and I struggled for a few weeks before I got used to the different positioning of Enter.

As for values, I don't know. I bought it because I like it, and it runs OS 9.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Irrelevant. This is not a discussion about "most Windows fans". This is an attempt at a discussion regarding your claim Windows is insecure ("don't get me started with how insecure Windows is"). You opened this door now I expect you to deliver with specific examples. Telling me you have ~20 Windows systems doesn't do anything to support your case. Providing specific examples will.

I can make Windows secure. My work laptop is under Win 7. The first thing I do is disable a lot of the crap work puts on there and then install a few security items to lock Windows down. Then, by practicing safe habits, I have no problems with Windows.

On a Mac, I turn on the Firewall, use Stealth Mode, install ClamXAV, and I'm pretty much done. Then, by practicing safe habits, I have no problems with Mac OS X.

It's only insecure if the end user creates a situation where it isn't secure, save for still using Windows XP or Mac OS 10.1/10.2/10.3. Neither of those choices are incredibly smart to do.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I can make Windows secure. My work laptop is under Win 7. The first thing I do is disable a lot of the crap work puts on there and then install a few security items to lock Windows down. Then, by practicing safe habits, I have no problems with Windows.

On a Mac, I turn on the Firewall, use Stealth Mode, install ClamXAV, and I'm pretty much done. Then, by practicing safe habits, I have no problems with Mac OS X.

It's only insecure if the end user creates a situation where it isn't secure, save for still using Windows XP or Mac OS 10.1/10.2/10.3. Neither of those choices are incredibly smart to do.

What security items do you install?

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
What security items do you install?

Not honestly looking at it right now, so forgive me. ClamWin, Spybot, the Firewall is on, and one or two other things that I honestly can't remember off the top of my head right now (coffee has not kicked in, sorry).

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
so here are a few updates... my tech coordinator happen to have a copy of the Leopard install disc, so I'm happy about that. Also, I need some tech support... I stuck my 3TB (2.7TB actual) into my PowerMac and I went to go format it so I can install OS X Leopard on it, but it broke and said disc could not be formatted or something and got rid of the partition that was on there. Now I can't do anything without it saying that the operation is not supported or is invalid. Any ideas on how to fix that?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
APM partition scheme drives are limited to 2TB. An Intel Mac can use bigger drives as they support GPT. OpenFirmware Macs (i.e. PowerPC) don't support GPT.

You need a smaller HDD...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.