Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have 40GB of music with only 1K songs.

All my music is encoded at either 160 or 256kbps AAC unless it came from file sharing 20 years ago. I do have some MP3 files.

I encoded most of my CDs (400 or so) in 128 back in 2000-2003 and re-encoded them to 160 when iTunes Store launched. When the store went to 256, I didn't re-encode everything again. 1K of songs at 40GB sounds like FLAC or Lossless.

Pack Leader

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Interesting observation... I live outside any of the launch countries but have a US account. Beats1 kept giving me a 403 error while all other stations played. (Haven't signed up for the trial as yet btw).

Only got it to work with VPN.

Found it strange. Is there a list of the 100 countries?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
All my music is encoded at either 160 or 256kbps AAC unless it came from file sharing 20 years ago. I do have some MP3 files.

I encoded most of my CDs (400 or so) in 128 back in 2000-2003 and re-encoded them to 160 when iTunes Store launched. When the store went to 256, I didn't re-encode everything again. 1K of songs at 40GB sounds like FLAC or Lossless.
Almost Lossless, unless some Low Quality ones downloaded through iTunes Store.

I think I can hear there difference between lossless and lossy, so I store all of my songs in Lossless format.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I've got a 64GB iPhone and never felt like I had a problem keeping what I want on my iPhone. On occasion there is a song I'd like to hear I haven't synced to my iPhone and I'm not home and it is from a CD and not iTunes so I can't cloud download it. And while the $25 / year cost for Match was never the obstacle, it was the worry that the Match process would potentially screw up my library, tagging, album art - all the little things that you care about in your collection. Added to which, I have an iMac with an external library, a Time Machine backup, a second backup, and all the space I need to house a 1.6TB library - 55GB of music (9K songs), 1.2TB of movies, 30GB of Apps, 30GB of Audiobooks. I think Match is much better suited to laptop owners.
I have 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, two Mac (iMac and rMBP), 3 AppleTVs and several PCs. We use Match to make sure all of those devices have access to all 10,000+ songs in my library. All of those devices are backed up somehow (iCloud for the portables, TimeMachine for the computers). Match lets my phone stay pretty clean (using up all of my space for photos and videos I take). But being able to download playlists and albums to play offline is great for roadtrips without killing data, or ad-free iTunes Radio. Apple Music does all of that and more.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Dropping that AC/DC
Take that yall who were grumpy ass haters and doubters.
This Beats 1 is killing it.
Can't wait to see what the future brings.
That AC/DC was a little bit annoying for me.

And I believe you have found two new songs not currently available in iTunes store.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Ok, so when the family sharing came out last year I used it for my younger son so I could have control over his downloads but I had to put my older son back on my main iTunes id login because he still needed access to my iTunes Match account so he could listen to my music while at college. With the new Music (family plan)+ iTunes Match, are they allowing family members access to the iTunes Match library also? If so that would be great so I can put him on his own id and he can customize his Apple Music preferences.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Can someone tell me how you can change from an individual account to a family account? I just went straight for individual during the initial set up but just realized that since my family all shares the same Apple ID for purchases, that I should've probably gone for that instead. I don't want everyone's saved music showing up on everyone's iPhones.
We'll have to stay tuned on this, there's no official support documentation on the Family plan that I've found (it may be buried in the Terms and Conditions for all I know).

But to speculate? Family plan will most likely be available to those using Family Sharing - each family member has their own Apple ID and iTunes account. Families who use a single iTunes account can probably use the Individual account, but I couldn't tell you if they'd run into limitations.

Speaking specifically to your shared iCloud account? It definitely pays to get each family member their own iCloud account - each then gets 5 gb of free storage, each will have their own contacts and calendars, etc. In other words, if you'd prefer to have privacy for each family member, this is the way to go. If this sounds appealing to you, first look into Family Sharing (read the support documentation) - if you have kids under 13, Family Sharing allows you to create "under-13" accounts, with additional parental control over kids' purchasing activity (those can only be created from Family Sharing, so setup Family Sharing before creating accounts for the kids).

One of the downsides of a family using a single iTunes/iCloud account is that everyone has the same password. I've heard about more than a few families where the kids were able to take over the family's account (not sure I want to explain how, though it's definitely not rocket science or any kind of hack - all they need is the password). Family Sharing allows the parents to lock down access to their personal accounts and info.

Last edited:

csatt

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Cupertino, CA
iPhone (iOS 8.4), giving Apple Music a spin

Streaming a song and when I try "Add to My Music" it comes up with a pop up that says:

"This requires iCloud Music Library. To add songs, albums, and playlists to My Music, enable iCloud Music Library in the Settings app."

So I go to Settings and try to turn on the "iCloud Music Library" slider, but it comes up with a pop-up that says:

"iCloud Music Library can't be enabled. You can enable it later from Music in Settings. Until then, your music won't be available on your other devices."

Any ideas?

behroozplt

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Well it really sucks.. Needs credit card for beats music.. Also beats one is not available in my country...

918spyder

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
So I went to upgrade my itunes, and I upgraded to 12.1.2.

I clicked on the "Try now" link and iTunes is telling me that I need version 12.2 to use it.

But when I try to upgrade I'm told that 12.1.2 is the latest version.

Is it because of my operating system? I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.2. Don't see why this is a problem...

Same here...

jakobyen

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Apple music is not available in Turkey and Russia. Is there any other country that hasn't enabled apple music yet? And anybody knows why?

Reactions: esaruoho

WalkingFeather

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I'm in Pittsburgh, and I've downloaded 12.1.2 TWICE, and I still see no signs of BEATS, 24 hour radio, or any place to "Sign Up". I'd LOVE to know where y'all seeing this, because my version just-isnt-it.

Reactions: tonyr6 and joe-h2o

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I assume the Beats 1 radio station is only available with the subscription plan and not free like the current iTunes radio offering?

You assume incorrectly. Beats 1 is for free to anyone who has access to Apple Music (iOS, eventually OS X iTunes.. and then Windows + Android in the autumn).

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
So I go to Settings and try to turn on the "iCloud Music Library" slider, but it comes up with a pop-up that says:

"iCloud Music Library can't be enabled. You can enable it later from Music in Settings. Until then, your music won't be available on your other devices."

Any ideas?

Keep tapping. It's just overwhelmed by users at the moment, most likely. It will work.

Reactions: orbital~debris

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"Instead of paying $1.29 per song download, for example, subscribers have millions of songs at their fingertips for essentially the cost of an album."

Right... And they lose every single one of those millions of songs when they stop paying $10/month. Whereas you never lose access to an album you buy outright. Great service, as long as you're ok with paying a monthly fee forever.

Thanks but no thanks.

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
MR this is article is a waste of time.... It's titled "Getting Started With Apple Music and Beats 1 on iOS, Mac and PC", but no where in the article do you mention how to connect using iTunes.

We don't even has iTunes 12.2 yet. OS X 10.10.4 Update didn't give us iTunes 12.2 - at least not in Finland. Others have reported similar results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.