Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's because the MBP glossy has glass on it while your PC glossy doesn't.

In order of reflectivity:

1. MBP (glassy)
2. MBA (glossy) - like most PC laptops or TN monitors

3. MBP AG (matte)

Glass is shiniest but it does saturate colors the most, which appeals to some.

I see, thanks for this.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
If I may expound on something I previously said in this thread. I stated that I preferred one of my pc's glossy screens compared to my other pc's matte screen, in that it was more vivid, and sharp. This is true, but after doing comparisons from videos from some of the users of the glossy screens vs anti-glare screens of the MBP, the glossy screen on the MBP looks to be a lot more glossy, down right mirror like. My pc's glossy screen is not this reflective.

This thread has been very beneficial to me in making me change my mind about getting the anti-glare screen instead of the glossy for the Macbook Pro. From the comparisons I have seen anti-glare is in fact superior than the glossy screen.

I knew there was a reason my order didn't process!:D

Thanks for this thread.

Your welcome. The reason why I made this thread was because I was going to buy hi res glossy but this thread also convinced my to go anti glare. I am so happy I made that decision.

Cully411

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Belfast
I suppose it's all down to preference.

Admittedly, Glossy looks much more aesthetically pleasing and the colours are much more vivid. However, actually using a glossy MBP is a nightmare in daytime situations when your out and about (i.e. on the train).

For this reason, i chose AG over glossy. Simply for the practicality of using the mac during the day.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
the irony is  is making an extra $50 every time a buyer chooses the AG option. just to re-instate what we used to have included as standard!

they are just too smart for us dumb arses :cool::D:p

Last edited:

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Well, the AG display does look better than other matte displays in many other laptops even though not as nice as the glossy... so the extra special treatment and aluminum bezel could cost more.

Since the majority of the MBP's are glass... Apple probably has a better bulk discount on the glass then the aluminum bezel for the AG.

For most other manufacturers... the bezel stays the same regardless of what you pick, so there doesnt really seem to be a need for an extra charge.

leftroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Once and for all: If you watch HD-movies and play around with Word and Pixelmator sometimes, do I need a glossy or a anti-glare display?

Today I have a high definition glossy display at 1920x1200. I have no issue with the glossy because I sit at home with a lamp at my desk.

I don't go outside with it, so it seems to me that the glossy is fine with me. The anti-glare looks very nice with the silver bazel along with the unibody design instead of that black border.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
For those having doubts about glossy... here's an excerpt from a review form PCPRO:

"The glass finish makes it a little reflective, but not distractingly so, and using a colorimeter we measured a tremendous maximum brightness of 322cd/m2 and a contrast of 800:1. In the real-world, that makes for gloriously bold and vivid colours, with deep blacks and bright whites."

@leftroom
HD-movies and play around with Word and Pixelmator, could go with either. Reading text on glossy will be easier due to deeper blacks, the only thing is some glare. If you are fine with a bit of glare.. then glossy is the way to go, especially if your planning on staying indoors.

Though anti-glare definitely eliminates any glare so you can see the whole screen. Could go with either, but at no glare/minimal glare... glossy will pop and look better.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Question on Matte vs Glossy Text Quality

Is the quality of text, and how sharp text and other images are less so on the matte vs the glossy? As a staunch glossy supporter I've been looking more and more at the matte screen as it seems easier on the eyes and might reduce eye strain. I've looked at both in the Apple store about 2 or 3 times and like both. I cant remember details on the text though because at the time I was looking more at resolution comparison (my store has only the matte in high res).

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Being a staunch glossy supporter myself, but a bit doubtful about the "glassy glossy".. based on lighting conditions in the Apple store...

Both are indistinguishably sharp, though when I started reading on AG and Glossy, for some reason, I could read faster on the glossy. Glossy I feel just darkens the text to a deeper black creating the illusion that it is sharper.

Images on the other hand looked better on the anti-glare in the store due to the fact that there was no glare on it and you could see the entire screen. Made the glossy one appear not as bright as the AG one...

The AG display definitely is right there on top and it feels almost like a glossy display minus the reflections and glare, though the glossy one does have more popout feel, but being able to see the whole picture clearly versus having slight glare on the screen obstructing certain parts of the image.. makes the AG look better in the Apple Store.

Now the black bezel still looks sexier of course.. XD

eagle63

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Hey guys, newbie question here: Does the black bezel indicate that it's matte, or does that just indicate that it's the high-rez version? I'm looking at a 2010 MBP on craiglist and I'm not sure how I can prove (without looking at it) whether or not it's the glossy vs matte screen. Obviously you can tell the resolution by going into system prefs -> display and looking at the available resolutions, but as for the matte vs glossy I'm not sure. Thanks for any info!!

intfxdx

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
i ordered my 17 mbp with ag screen. i went to an apple store and checked. i prefer also look of the computer without this mirror.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hey guys, newbie question here: Does the black bezel indicate that it's matte, or does that just indicate that it's the high-rez version? I'm looking at a 2010 MBP on craiglist and I'm not sure how I can prove (without looking at it) whether or not it's the glossy vs matte screen. Obviously you can tell the resolution by going into system prefs -> display and looking at the available resolutions, but as for the matte vs glossy I'm not sure. Thanks for any info!!

You can't without a screenshot of sys prefs or close up inspection. Black bezel only indicates glossy.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis

Do not listen to daneoi. You can tell by the picture. The black bezel means glossy. The silver bezel means matte. If you want to tell high-res vs regular you would have to see the specs.

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bit the bullet and went with glossy. I don't work outside much, and I couldn't get myself to buy a $2200 computer that I wouldn't like the looks of (silver bezel) for a feature I'd need about 5-10% of the time. If I move to San Fran, maybe I'll change my mind (I could sell it at a small loss b/c of my student discount), but otherwise, I think I'll be fine with a reflective screen in the rainy northwest.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Do not listen to daneoi. You can tell by the picture. The black bezel means glossy. The silver bezel means matte. If you want to tell high-res vs regular you would have to see the specs.

We are essentially saying the same thing. I just didn't add the vice versa...which is absence of black bezel is matte.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Alright, set on getting Anti-Glare. Glossy does pick up practically any reflection. Not exactly bothersome, I could deal with it, but since quality of AG appears to be no slouch, and I am able to see everything clearly without any glare whatsoever. First matte display ever coming from staunch glossy. Sigh... goodbye black bezel.

Last edited:

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Hey guys, i just got my macbook 15" 2.2 GHz High-res antiglare and boy did I make the right decision. I was traveling in the car and there was LOTS of sun but I had no reflections or glare. If you are having a hard time deciding, just go for the anti-glare you will not regret it.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
Alright, set on getting Anti-Glare. Glossy does pick up practically any reflection. Not exactly bothersome, I could deal with it, but since quality of AG appears to be no slouch, and I am able to see everything clearly without any glare whatsoever. First matte display ever coming from staunch glossy. Sigh... goodbye black bezel.

welcome to AG. you won't be disappointed.

Hey guys, i just got my macbook 15" 2.2 GHz High-res antiglare and boy did I make the right decision. I was traveling in the car and there was LOTS of sun but I had no reflections or glare. If you are having a hard time deciding, just go for the anti-glare you will not regret it.

thumbs up :D

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I always have AG but I actually like the Glossy lol. Other than deeper blacks and vivid color, the Glass is much easier to clean without worrying about damaging the panel. I never bought a Glossy for myself but at night I wish I had the glossy. I bought the Glossy for the g/f and shes never complained.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Wish glossy no glass, silver bezel, was an option on the MBP, like the MBA. Very little reflection on them and all the pop of glossy screens.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
is the AG not as bright at night or something??

AG is actually brighter than the glossy, just that the colors on the glossy pop more. At night, when lights are off and dim.... glare and gloss is not an issue on the glossy display as it is minimized...

colorwise... it will look much more vibrant since well... its glossy. AG will look good, but it won't pop as much as glossy. At night with low light.... the only disadvantage of glare, is removed. Having a light source behind where I sit... turned on sometimes... the reflection is apparent.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Was all set to get AG, then at the store testing and re-testing I went with glossy. It's close, but since I don't go outside with MBP and glossy easier to clean, I went glossy with no regrets. I am convinced people see differently, so there's a real need to see the screens for yourself. Some of the users here who are very anti-glossy experience things differently than the average, I believe. I didn't like how AG muted the view, which is AG's strategy for cutting out the glare, so under ideal conditions AG can never look as good as glossy. Under bad conditions glossy isn't even readable whereas with AG you can work with it. Lastly, I didn't like the narrow gap around the frame of AG while with glossy it's flush. This bugged me the most. Cleaning AG could mean a crumb or whatever could easily get lodged in the narrow gap!

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
For certain if it were the 2010 anti-glare... I would have definitely gone glossy having seen it in the store. The 2011 AG feels much improved and definitely looks good.

I totally agree under ideal conditions it would look great, preferably dim room in evening... but its nice I guess to be able to use a black/dark wallpaper without seeing yourself clearly in the background. Not that it bothers me much, but it would be nice.

Cleaningwise... poking a glossy screen does seem a lot safer than poking at a matte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.