Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
After having Yosemite from beta on my rMBP 13 and then on my MBA 11 I've gone back to Mavericks.

I update my Mac on a yearly cycle and usually keep the OS current, first time I haven't done this.

Fact is there was nothing new in Yosemite that I needed or wanted, possibly iCloud Drive, but then that didn't work properly -- so back to dropbox.

With Mavericks I have a quieter, faster, more stable machine. Less RAM being used, better battery life, and it's easier on the eyes -- in terms of eye strain.

Every Mac OS I've had from OS 9 has felt like an improvement, this is the first time it hasn't. I hope by OS 10.10.5 they've sorted it out.

I'm actually holding off upgrading my machine this year as I don't want a Mac shipped with Yosemite.

Very easy to downgrade: cmd - alt - R held at start-up, into Internet Recovery, Mavericks automatically put back on.

I'm saddened that Yosemite is not better than Mavericks...for me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Were you getting severe amounts of page outs and page ins? If not, the extra memory usage is not really bothering you. It doesn't bother me. I wish every KB of my memory was being used until I need it for something else.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Were you getting severe amounts of page outs and page ins? If not, the extra memory usage is not really bothering you. It doesn't bother me. I wish every KB of my memory was being used until I need it for something else.

Yes I was and lots of swap on 8GB physical.

Seemed to be Safari and PDFs that were doing it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes I was and lots of swap on 8GB physical.

Seemed to be Safari and PDFs that were doing it.

I'm sorry to say this, but you have no idea what you're looking at. None of what you mentioned is bad. Stop playing with a Activity Monitor and jumping to conclusions. Just use the machine. It works great.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
My only real issue has been back to my mac not working. It hasn't worked since day 1.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I'm sorry to say this, but you have no idea what you're looking at. None of what you mentioned is bad. Stop playing with a Activity Monitor and jumping to conclusions. Just use the machine. It works great.

Hmm, rudeness from the safety of the internet.

I've been using my Macs since 1999. This one is not working great, whether activity monitor is looked at or not.

As per my original post: battery life is significantly down, the machine is slower to use for day-to-day tasks (resizing windows etc), it's harder on my eyes (not sure how you could possibly judge that, wait until you're over 40 if you're not already). And the OS is not offering me anything extra that I want over Mavericks. On occasions it doesn't wake up from sleep unless I press the 'on' button. The fan is on more, machine is hotter, it's nosier.

If none of that is 'bad' then I'm afraid we will disagree: it's not what I've got used to over the last 15 years. Not bad compared to Ebola or Fox News, of course, but bad compared to Mavericks? In my opinion, yes. First time I've felt I've had to downgrade an OS.

And I figured all this out without activity monitor.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
have to admit Yosemite has also killed my battery as well.

on Mavericks I could easily clock 8-9 hours but on Yosemite its more like 4-5 if I'm lucky.

That's my only true complaint and I expect future updates to fix the issue

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Interesting. I finally decided to upgrade to Yosemite last week and so far so good--no real issues and I have to say it was the easiest upgrade I have done with any new OS--took about half an hour with no hiccups. I'm sure some issues will pop up--always a few broken processes. I am glad I waited until after 10.1--and will probably do that again when the next OS is released. Sorry to hear Yosemite is not working for you.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Less than a year from now, people will be downgrading to Yosemite :p

They will still downgrade to Mavericks, just like how I downgraded to Snow Leopard now. Yosemite...? Maybe 3 years from now if and when 10.13 continues to ****... :p:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If people have made their decision (re: OS change) and believe it to be the right one for their needs, what is the compelling reason for so many people to announce to the forum with a new thread, that they have reverted back to an earlier OS, as if this is truly noteworthy for all of us to make note of that <user X is now using OS brand P> ? There could be 30 established threads on the same subject on the first page, and people still feel an overwhelming need to create a personal Oprah moment thread.

Please change your scorecards to reflect this latest situation.

Last edited:

Horizon Man

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
They will still downgrade to Mavericks, just like how I downgraded to Snow Leopard now. Yosemite...? Maybe 3 years from now if and when 10.13 continues to ****... :p:p

Snow Leopard was so trouble free, and an absolute rock.

Then came Lion which was finally set right with Mavericks. I can only hope Yosemite goes down a similar path, and gets to a solid form at some point. Right now I'm liking Yosemite less than I did Lion, and also went down the OP's path and reverted.

Stability is important for me and Yosemite just wasn't even close, though I'm sure I'll try it again come 10.2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
After having Yosemite from beta on my rMBP 13 and then on my MBA 11 I've gone back to Mavericks.

I update my Mac on a yearly cycle and usually keep the OS current, first time I haven't done this.

Fact is there was nothing new in Yosemite that I needed or wanted, possibly iCloud Drive, but then that didn't work properly -- so back to dropbox.

With Mavericks I have a quieter, faster, more stable machine. Less RAM being used, better battery life, and it's easier on the eyes -- in terms of eye strain.

Every Mac OS I've had from OS 9 has felt like an improvement, this is the first time it hasn't. I hope by OS 10.10.5 they've sorted it out.

I'm actually holding off upgrading my machine this year as I don't want a Mac shipped with Yosemite.

Very easy to downgrade: cmd - alt - R held at start-up, into Internet Recovery, Mavericks automatically put back on.

I'm saddened that Yosemite is not better than Mavericks...for me.

I stayed on ML for the reason that Yosemite looks boring, however is there a way to go to Mavericks without going to Yosemite? I find that now some apps I bought are not working right in ML since the last update. I own RipiT and now it crashes everytime I try to use it, doesn't even matter if I download the latest version for The Little App Factory, no versions work?

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Less than a year from now, people will be downgrading to Yosemite :p

If you look at the UK Store 'Mountain Lion' is one of Apples Trending products :D

(not the App Store but store.apple.com, country UK, Mac Accessories and select trending, show all)

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
If you look at the UK Store 'Mountain Lion' is one of Apples Trending products :D

(not the App Store but store.apple.com, country UK, Mac Accessories and select trending, show all)

Suspect a Christmas wave of new machines has prompted a similar wave of 2nd hand machines having the latest (for them), OS loaded before resale...?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
have to admit Yosemite has also killed my battery as well.

on Mavericks I could easily clock 8-9 hours but on Yosemite its more like 4-5 if I'm lucky.

That's my only true complaint and I expect future updates to fix the issue

Add me to the battery life killed list. The battery life difference was so drastic on my late-2013 15" rMBP that I thought I damaged the battery somehow at first.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

No it doesn't. Yosemite is terrible on a retina Mac.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
No it doesn't. Yosemite is terrible on a retina Mac.

I don't have a Retina Mac, what about Yosemite looks terrible? I thought it was designed with retina in mind. I have seen many threads about people complaining that text doesn't look good after the font change when they don't have retina display but not complaints with people who do have retina displays. This interests me.

Edit: sorry I misread your post. You never said it looks bad.

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Add me to the battery life killed list. The battery life difference was so drastic on my late-2013 15" rMBP that I thought I damaged the battery somehow at first.

Count me in. The biggest problem of my late 2013 rMBP right now is the sluggish UI and the battery life.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I downgraded to Mavericks 4 days ago and could not be happier.

No more eye strain, stuffing around with wifi every time my screen dims, no more beach balls.

And my god, Mavericks FLIES on my rMBP. It's like having a brand new computer again.

I can't recommend downgrading enough. The only negative, which is subjective, is if you prefer the new interface style, which I certainly don't, so it's all positive as far as I am concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.