Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steberg

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Went back to Mavericks last week on my mid 2014 rMBP15. Now I have sound working again. On Yosemite, almost every other start of the computer the sound icon was greyed out and I had to run a command in terminal to get sound working.... I was on the latest beta of 10.10.2 at the time but it was still not fixed.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Moved back to mavericks last year. Mail was a fail on Yosemite, so that was that.

Yes, troubleshooted for a month then said go back to what works. I don't know if I will ever upgrade back to it as I still read reports of exchange and IMAP issues.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I downgraded to Mavericks 4 days ago and could not be happier.

No more eye strain, stuffing around with wifi every time my screen dims, no more beach balls.

And my god, Mavericks FLIES on my rMBP. It's like having a brand new computer again.

I can't recommend downgrading enough. The only negative, which is subjective, is if you prefer the new interface style, which I certainly don't, so it's all positive as far as I am concerned.

Yeah. My wife has the base 4GB rMBP and the same thing: day-to-day the UI and system flies on Mavericks compared to Yosemite.

My son put Yosemite on his 2014 4GB 13-inch base MBA -- no longer snappy and quick. It's the UI.

I'm with you on the eye strain -- but eventually we'll have to upgrade to the new look with Apple's reduced support cycle. Hopefully 10.11 will make some changes. And 10.10.5 will sort out the bugs.

I don't really want to stick on Mavericks like people who are holding out on SL after Lion.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I don't really want to stick on Mavericks like people who are holding out on SL after Lion.

You're lucky to be stuck on Mavericks... People like me still get stuck on SL even after Yosemite despite being hardware-supported...

Last edited by a moderator:

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have had Yosemite for a while expecting updates to sort out all the problems I've had. They haven't happened and it has now become untenable. I have been looking at going back to Mavericks, having not had any problem with it. The sparsebundles I had from time machine on my ext drive are corrupt, so I had followed instructions to create a bootable drive. I downloaded from app store, copied the mavericks installer from the applications folder to stop it being auto deleted, and used diskmaker to transfer it to a usb drive. Strangely even though it said 10.9 it was called Yosemite installer? Went through all the motions, machine rebooted and was back to yosemite, exactly as it was before with all my files. I deleted all files from the disk and diskmaker won't see the drive now. I'm pulling my hair out, can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong? I've never had to do this before since moving to mac as never has such a bad OS. Thanks for any help

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have had Yosemite for a while expecting updates to sort out all the problems I've had. They haven't happened and it has now become untenable. I have been looking at going back to Mavericks, having not had any problem with it. The sparsebundles I had from time machine on my ext drive are corrupt, so I had followed instructions to create a bootable drive. I downloaded from app store, copied the mavericks installer from the applications folder to stop it being auto deleted, and used diskmaker to transfer it to a usb drive. Strangely even though it said 10.9 it was called Yosemite installer? Went through all the motions, machine rebooted and was back to yosemite, exactly as it was before with all my files. I deleted all files from the disk and diskmaker won't see the drive now. I'm pulling my hair out, can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong? I've never had to do this before since moving to mac as never has such a bad OS. Thanks for any help

Was the original OS that your Mac shipped with Mavericks?

If so you can do the following as Internet Recovery will default to the OS the machine shipped with.

Here's what I did:

1. First make sure you have a back up of your files, you're going to delete everything.

2. Boot up holding R. Go into Disk Utilities. Select your SSD / HD and erase it. Everything including the OS has now gone. Leave the recovery partition alone.

3. Restart again, this time holding down cmd - alt - r. The machine will boot up into Internet Recovery. Sometimes it takes a couple of restarts.

4. Select reinstall OS. It will download and install Mavericks, PROVIDING Mavericks was the OS that shipped with your Mac

NOTE: you can't reinstall / migrate your files and programs back from Time Machine. You have to transfer them manually. For some reason Mavericks doesn't recognise a Yosemite TM backup. However, if you plug your TM disk in once Mavericks in installed you can manually drag and drop your latest TM back-up files from the TM disk.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I stayed on ML for the reason that Yosemite looks boring, however is there a way to go to Mavericks without going to Yosemite? I find that now some apps I bought are not working right in ML since the last update. I own RipiT and now it crashes everytime I try to use it, doesn't even matter if I download the latest version for The Little App Factory, no versions work?

Did you ever download Mavericks from the App Store? Check your purchase list.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I rather like Yosemite and it's working just fine on my 2012 base Mini. In fact I find Yosemite boots a little quicker and is a tad more responsive. As for the overall look I rather like it. I've been using OS X since 2001.

The only issue i've had with Yosemite is the random beach ball hang in Safari.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I rather like Yosemite and it's working just fine on my 2012 base Mini. In fact I find Yosemite boots a little quicker and is a tad more responsive. As for the overall look I rather like it. I've been using OS X since 2001.

The only issue i've had with Yosemite is the random beach ball hang in Safari.

Personally, I don't mind if the look is different or if *I* don't like it -- after all taste is subjective.

My main issue with the look is that it can be tough on the eyes for some people above 40. I find more eye strain due to the 'lighting' of the OS. And I find the new system font harder or less pleasurable to read. I don't use Windows at all, but when I do see Windows I think their typography is better, or at least easier to read, even if the overall design is not that great.

Personally, I love Helvetica, just not as a system font, but I guess there will be many different opinions on this...

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Less than a year from now, people will be downgrading to Yosemite :p

Yup.

When mavericks came out, "I'm downgrading to Mountain Lion!"

When Mountain Lion came out, "I'm downgrading to Lion!"

This time next year people will be bemoaning OS X Diablo and downgrading back to Yosemite.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yup.

The difference is, if people are still downgrading after 10.10.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem and your trite little analogy no longer holds water. :rolleyes:

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
The difference is, if people are still downgrading after 10.10.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem and your trite little analogy no longer holds water. :rolleyes:

"if people are still downgrading after 10.9.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem."

"if people are still downgrading after 10.8.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem."

so old ****.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
"if people are still downgrading after 10.9.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem."

"if people are still downgrading after 10.8.2 comes out because of stability or performance issues, there is a serious problem."

so old ****.

Post Snow Leopard i've never had a performance or stability issue on a .2 release. The performance of 10.10.2 is still terrible. I've used Yosemite since DP1 (as I have previous releases) and I've given it until 10.10.2 but this is the first time ive downgraded as it's just not getting better.

Mountain Lion was faster than Lion and Mavericks was faster than both. Yosemite is a massive regression in terms of performance.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Less than a year from now, people will be downgrading to Yosemite :p

If the same muppet who designed Yosemite is in charge in a year from now when people try whatever abortion the next California landmark will be, I am also sure people will be downgrading to whatever they can put their little fingers on.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

The thought never occurred to me.

I wanted to upgrade when Mavericks was released, but I waited a while for a third party product to become compatible. Then I used and enjoyed it.

The thought never occurred to me. I used and enjoyed it.

This time next year people will be bemoaning OS X Diablo and downgrading back to Yosemite.

Oh, ButteryScrollin, you missed the "When Yosemite came out …" one. It's entirely different; the design direction repelled me during the prerelease period. It hadn't even come out.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Post Snow Leopard i've never had a performance or stability issue on a .2 release.

Surprisingly I do have performance issue with Finder on Mavericks 10.9.5... :rolleyes: It's slow as hell even on an SSD... I swear Mountain Lion fared better...

And also, surprisingly, I also have performance issue on the audio department on Mountain Lion 10.8.5... :rolleyes: It's annoying **** with the intermittent stuttering issue that ruins my music enjoyment...

I don't see Snow Leopard has those issue at .8... :p

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
The thought never occurred to me.

I wanted to upgrade when Mavericks was released, but I waited a while for a third party product to become compatible. Then I used and enjoyed it.

The thought never occurred to me. I used and enjoyed it.

Oh, ButteryScrollin, you missed the "When Yosemite came out …" one. It's entirely different; the design direction repelled me during the prerelease period. It hadn't even come out.

Exactly........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.