Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by iPhoneinCanada.ca, Google today added its Street View functionality to the web-based version of its Google Maps product available to iOS and other mobile device users. With Apple's transition to its own Maps app in iOS 6, users still wishing to use Google Maps have been able to do so through the maps.google.com web app, but the web version has been missing some features compared to the native iOS app that was previously available on Apple's devices.
Our own tests with Google Street View via the Google Maps web app were very straightforward. Just load up the maps.google.com web app in mobile Safari, tap on a location and a new bottom bar emerges with an icon of a person. Tap that and voila-you have Street View, which opens up in a new tab displaying the URL maps.gstatic.com.
google_web_street_view_apple.jpg
Access to the feature appears to require that users allow the web-based Google Maps app to access their locations.

Google is reportedly working on its own native iOS maps app for submission to the App Store, but that app is not expected to be ready for several more months. In the meantime, Google appears to be beefing up its web-based maps to help bridge the gap while also enhancing functionality for other mobile devices.

Article Link: Google Adds Street View to Web-Based Google Maps for Mobile Devices

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How the heck do you drop a pin reliably on the web app? Sometimes I can drop a pin, other times it ignores my tap.

This is the single biggest problem with the web app at the moment. Everything else seems to work great, if not as pretty as the old app was.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Making a shortcut to the maps.google works better than I thought it would. It doesn't lag in Safari as much as I thought it would.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Another useless app that chews lots of data and requires a data connection to work.

-Mike

ecubrooks

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Google Maps Icon

Looks like the updated the Home Screen Icon as well. Instead of a map now is their signature G with location icon.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Another useless app that chews lots of data and requires a data connection to work.

-Mike

Safari is useless? Huh?

You do know that Apple Maps requires a data connection too, as well as kills your battery when you use it. Or are you bashing that as well?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Odd that Google would need your current location in order to give you a street view of some place that is NOT your current location.

Either way, Apple Maps has been working well for me, but I am sure glad for two things:

1) The media uproar means that Apple won't take their usual slow pace at improving things.

2) Google is adding new features to their maps at a much-accelerated pace. Competition is good.

This seems like a win-win to me because I live in a US area where my usage of Apple Maps has so far been flawless. So far it seems USA, China and North Korea (and maybe Germany) have seen the best performance out of Apple Maps. It seems the UK and maybe France got pretty shafted with Apple Maps. The problems in the UK seem more than just anecdotal.

I expect Tim Cook will give an update on Apple Maps at the supposed Oct 17th iPad mini event. Maybe he will even announce iOS 6.1 or some cloud-based update to Apple Maps.

DMSWE

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
How the heck do you drop a pin reliably on the web app? Sometimes I can drop a pin, other times it ignores my tap.

This is the single biggest problem with the web app at the moment. Everything else seems to work great, if not as pretty as the old app was.

I still find it a bit too slow to load for my liking (even over wi-fi).

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Google needs to make a separate Street View app. I don't want to use their maps. I prefer Apple's app. It's just a lot more intuitive to use. The design of the maps put more emphasis on the things I really need to be able to see and click on. Especially the turn by turn navigation feature with the large easy to read signs and its integration with Siri. Works way better in the car when your phone is mounted on the dash.

Google has good maps data but until they actually learn how to make easy to use, bug free, uncluttered native software I don't think their maps app is going to draw me back.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Slow, cramped, kludgy, needs a great data connection, loses where you are, fiddly. Not good. Need Google Maps app back.

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
And again, not working in the UK for me. Anyone else????:(

Street view only work on main road for me, not side roads in the UK (London).

I'm using Live Street View £0.69 (or free), it is good enough for me until Google release a native app for iOS6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.