Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
How the heck do you drop a pin reliably on the web app? Sometimes I can drop a pin, other times it ignores my tap.

This is the single biggest problem with the web app at the moment. Everything else seems to work great, if not as pretty as the old app was.

Yeah, it's hardly ever working for me. Benefit of being a Google web app though is that it'll probably be fixed very soon.

Boys and girls...this is how competition benefits consumers.

1) Apple is rushing to improve their iOS Maps app

2) Google is rushing to improve their web-based Google Maps site

Both actions benefit the consumer. While it was a negative that the native Google Maps app was removed (don't change/fix something unless broken), in the long run having Apple vs Google battle it out will be better for the consumer.

Agreed, it's just a shame Apple took the decent Maps app away from people without warning - worse, they lied and made out that there's was better.

I just tried the public transport routing in Google Maps - that's very good indeed! I am not a fan of Apple's "look in the app store" solution to this. Not exactly seamless - so instead of one search in the maps app telling me "walk this way to the train station, get this train at this time from this platform, walk this way to the bus station, get this bus, walk this way/get a taxi (taxi numbers) to your destination" I have to use four different apps, switching between them and remembering/noting down how they all fit together? Not very Apple, really!

forgetmennot

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Even Google can't drop the pin correctly...

If you look at the picture in the article, it has the pin dropped on 4 Infinite Loop, not 1 Infinite Loop. The search bar shows 1 IL.

And Google has been at this for what....7-8 years.

Everyone knows that Apple has released a less then stellar app. However, those who follow how Apple responds to these types of short-comings. As this is a fully supported project (I'm sure it is, as it was started by Steve Jobs), it will get the backing and funding needed to excel it forward and possibly beyond Google's efforts.

All I can say is...Hal better not open the pod bay doors!!:cool::apple:

Rruk01

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
I tried to find my office block in Liverpool street

The street view is definately not perfect, if I look from one side of the street I can see my office block no bother, but then if I switch to the other side of the road, suddenly my office block is still in construction!!!!

I think I will keep using the Apple Maps as I dont have too much of an issue with them and think they are pretty good!

Attachments

• Heron 1.png
    Heron 1.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Heron 2.png
    Heron 2.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 59

jlb500

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
I like the new Maps app-easier on the eyes and has great TBT functionality. Yes, important improvements need to be made (and I'm confident they will be in short order), but I don't pine for the Google maps app...at all.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Looks like the updated the Home Screen Icon as well. Instead of a map now is their signature G with location icon.

Was about to say that, just noticed it. It seems a bit dull though, but oh well, as long as the maps work :D. The only reason I don't use Apple maps yet, and prefer the web app, is because Apple maps always had hardly any traffic data - yet Google maps has traffic data for all the main roads where I live and on my journey to college.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If you look at the picture in the article, it has the pin dropped on 4 Infinite Loop, not 1 Infinite Loop. The search bar shows 1 IL.

:

That is not necessarily an error. After you drop a pin you can move it to another location before tapping it to show the street view.

One thing I have noticed with the mobile street view is that there is noticeable geometric distortion compared to the other versions of street view, especially when looking up at tall structures.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
This is half-baked. Street View in Mobile Safari only works if you click on a named location, not just anywhere on a street. This really limits where you can use it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Works great in airplane mode....

/s

U trollin'? :confused:

I think what they meant to say is, if you set it for a location it will load those files up, so if you do loose a signal you won't be without the map. However if you try to deviate from the path it won't "recalculate" unless you get a signal again.

I think.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Odd that Google would need your current location in order to give you a street view of some place that is NOT your current location.

Either way, Apple Maps has been working well for me, but I am sure glad for two things:

1) The media uproar means that Apple won't take their usual slow pace at improving things.

2) Google is adding new features to their maps at a much-accelerated pace. Competition is good.

This seems like a win-win to me because I live in a US area where my usage of Apple Maps has so far been flawless. So far it seems USA, China and North Korea (and maybe Germany) have seen the best performance out of Apple Maps. It seems the UK and maybe France got pretty shafted with Apple Maps. The problems in the UK seem more than just anecdotal.

I expect Tim Cook will give an update on Apple Maps at the supposed Oct 17th iPad mini event. Maybe he will even announce iOS 6.1 or some cloud-based update to Apple Maps.

Yes in the UK maps is pretty useless, that is unless your in the center of London in which case the actual maps seem good but the search functionality is still hopeless. Search for a 'Gas Station', it doesn't understand 'Petrol Station' at all even though that's what we call them in the UK, and you get directed to small corner shops and news agents. Elsewhere in the UK even whole towns are either missing or in the wrong place, its a mess. Personally I think Forstall should be out on his arse now, too many high profile problems with iOS6 and a general lack of polish and quality control. Media uproar or not there is a monumental amount of work to be done with Maps and that is going to take a lot of time.

Anyway the reason Google wants to force you to give your location information for unrelated searches is because they need to gather this data to sell to advertisers etc. That's how they make their money, by tracking your movements then analysing and selling that data.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Google needs to make a separate Street View app. I don't want to use their maps. I prefer Apple's app.
How would you imagine that working? They would have to somehow integrate it with Apple Maps, so you can switch between the Apple Map and the Street View Map. That is terrible user experience.
I prefer Apple's app. It's just a lot more intuitive to use. The design of the maps put more emphasis on the things I really need to be able to see and click on. Especially the turn by turn navigation feature with the large easy to read signs and its integration with Siri. Works way better in the car when your phone is mounted on the dash.
Android has had great turn by turn navigation with voice control for a long time now, and it also has large easy to read signs. Personally when I compare it with the new Apple app it's on the same level, probably even more feature-rich.

Google has good maps data but until they actually learn how to make easy to use, bug free, uncluttered native software I don't think their maps app is going to draw me back.
I never ever had any problems with the app and their software (you're talking about their Android app, right?) it is very easy to use and definitely uncluttered.

Unless you're comparing the new iPhone Apple map app with the old iPhone one (which was also made by Apple however it used Google's map data instead).

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Why doesn't Apple allow customers to choose the default app that they prefer? The lack of choice in iOS is one thing I really hate about it. I find the user experience to be inferior given the lack of customization.

Because majority of iOS users don't know what they want. You are an enthusiast and a member of the vocal minority of iPhone sales. My mom doesn't care what the default browser or map app is. Nor would she know how to change it. She just wants them to work. She is a member of the silent majority who buy 90+% of the iPhones.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
And it never occurred to them to do this during the BETA period of iOS 6? Typical Apple...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple Maps only requires a data connection when it routes your directions. After that it does NOT require a data connection. I tested this out myself by using it through an area where I get absolutely no signal. Apple Maps carried on with turn by trun with no problem.

Actually, you are wrong. Apple Maps does not need data. The map is self contained in the app, it just needs a GPS signal.

Ok, do this little experiment for me. Turn off WiFi and turn off cellular. You will have no access to data, but GPS will still be on. Then open Maps. Hit the GPS locator error, what do you see? Next, try searching for your home address, what happens? Lastly, go to your nearest big city in satellite view (or anywhere else for that matter) and try to zoom in the most you can. Tell us what you see. Then ask yourself who really was wrong.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Apple Maps only requires a data connection when it routes your directions. After that it does NOT require a data connection. I tested this out myself by using it through an area where I get absolutely no signal. Apple Maps carried on with turn by trun with no problem.

That is due to its rendering method (forgot what it's called). Google Maps uses the way to render maps on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.