Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
He's wrong on a bunch of levels, but the major one being that they sell your information.

Yeah, I really didn't even want to bother searching all that stuff. I already doubted it strongly but didn't want to go on a research hunt just to prove a paranoid guy wrong. You'd think that Google would hide any results that are bad for them if they were evil.

This place has so many Tea Party / Occupy people.

----------

Google - They copied Apple with android, with design, with marketing and a push in the high pixel displays. Why can't they copy the price!?

Well, they DID, just with a bad computer instead of a good one.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Quick question does Google have a Tablet computer?
Wouldn't that be a better direction for something like this?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Since you're fairly new here, I'll explain to you...The Conspiracy

You see, some people believe Google literally tracks every move you make on the internet and beyond, and has gigabytes and gigabytes of data on them. Everything from the amount of friends they have on their friends list in Google+ all the way over to their private vaccination and medial records, social security numbers, and credit card reports. I think they believe Google sells this information both to advertisers, and secret shadow governments that need to track everyone in the country to implement some vague, scary Plan with a capital P.

It's not a conspiracy, it's their business model. Ever heard of Big Data? Google is up to their armpits in data and mining it for patterns to use and sell. In Europe Google actively lobbies to deactivate warnings that inform users of data sharing in apps.

As long as you are logged in to your google account, it absolutely tracks where you are going if you navigate from the google search to a new page. I'm not sure if they are able to track beyond that.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Sorry Google I won't buy one, why:

1: I often don't have access to fast enough 3G to make this work for me so its not mobile enough for a Laptop, it would take me years to even be ableto sync 1TB of stuff to 'the cloud'
2: I would love a 'retina' style screen but I would actually need to be able to run Applications that take advantage of it e.g. Photoshop
3: Its too expensive for a crippled Laptop, at least dual boot it with Windows!
4: Where is the connectivity? I at least would need USB3 in 2013

JoeBob HenryBob

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Microsoft is not similar to Google. Yahoo is. The cookie banner thing is false, and that only used to happen until they were found out. It doesn't matter anyway.

Actually that's not true. "The cookie banner thing" you refer to was an incident where Google exploited a security flaw in WebKit to read cookies across domains, e.g. cookies even they hadn't originated. Closing that hole does not affect their ability to track you as I described, which is done by requesting a URL from their own servers as part of the banner ad, with your ID embedded, and noting the referrer in the request header.

"It doesn't matter anyway?" That's subjective.

How exactly is datamining a violation of privacy if the data is kept anonymous? Why would anyone care if their visit to some site was logged in with a bunch of other visits and sold to advertisers so that they can say "Look, this many people in California visited this site"?

Well that's the big question isn't it: Whether the data is actually kept anonymous.

Forget Google. If you're this paranoid, you should be worried about your ISP. They know every URL you have ever visited and relay all of your traffic. They know where you live, and they know your credit card number. They know that you are the same person no matter how many times your IP address changes, which Google does not.

That's got several things wrong with it. First, it's true that ISPs log everything we do. However, the uses to which they are allowed to put that data are subject to higher legal scrutiny, and the data they receive is actually of poorer quality than what Google is able to aggregate. It's possible that they could employ an army of coders (like Google does) to start mining and selling that data, but it would be a poor investment.

Second, of course Google knows that you are the same person no matter how many times your IP address changes. Also no matter how many devices you own, assuming you check gMail or use any of their other services on that device. They even know it's you across your ISPs - your laptop can be on AT&T, your phone on TMobile, and your home computer on Comcast - and Google can identify you regardless.

By the way, the only Google products I use are Google Search and YouTube.

Bully for you.
Now what exactly are you trying to say here?

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
On second thought...

iCloud comes at $100 for 55GB per year. To get 1TB for 3 years with iCloud one would have to pay $5454. As usual, Google gives out stuff for free. This Pixel is the best bargain around.

And a 1TB mobile hd comes at $50 once. Plus you have the benefit of not being dependent on Apples or Googles service and a working internet connection to access your data. Way better deal than any cloud storage. ;)

Since it's google I bet the i5 is for making screen recordings while you are using the Pixel and sending them home for profiling and advertising business. :)

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
And a 1TB mobile hd comes at $50 once. Plus you have the benefit of not being dependent on Apples or Googles service and a working internet connection to access your data. Way better deal than any cloud storage. ;)

Since it's google I bet the i5 is for making screen recordings while you are using the Pixel and sending them home for profiling and advertising business. :)

And for constantly recording you with the webcam ;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yeah? What's outdated about it? That screen is pretty damn impressive, and it's running a current gen i5 processor.

I seriously think some of you people gripe about stuff so you'll all look like you're "discerning consumers" in front of each other.

The issue os not the hardware. That side of this thing is not all that bad. It's the lack of a real OS to do anything with the hardware that is the killer here. This to me is a case of having an idea that fails because the tech to use it make the idea a reality had not been invented yet.

The tech not yet invented is:
- Easily accessible and cheap internet (speed and bandwidth)
- The HD web experience. Why have such a lovely screen when most of the web today can't make use of it.
- The cloud. It's great but can't yet be a totally HDD or SSD replacement.
- A way to make a vertical touchscreen attractive to the majority of users.
- Web security. Not one of google's strong points.

I can't think of anymore. So to me this machine is technology ahead of it's time. I say wait a few years and see if the world goes in this direction or not.

Renzatic

Suspended
Actually that's not true. "The cookie banner thing" you refer to was an incident where Google exploited a security flaw in WebKit...

Why does Google need to exploit a flaw in Webkit? It's more their software than Apple's these days.

And yeah, that Safari incident was a bit underhanded, and Google should've known better than to try and bypass browser security settings. Thing is, they weren't doing it to get at your data, rather that analytics you generate. There is a big difference between the two.

Well that's the big question isn't it: Whether the data is actually kept anonymous.

There are some things that aren't anonymous. I can't remember what it was, but it was fairly innocuous from what I remember. And they do keep some information on you for up to 9 months before whitewashing it.

But think of this. Google, Apple, Facebook, everyone has been scrutinized for any potential breach of privacy. Apple and Google both had to stand in front of congress over an issue we both mentioned previously. And even after that, Google had to face down an antitrust hearing only a few months back.

Thus far, the government hasn't had that much to complain about. When something bad happens, they tend to get called on it. So if the government and all the various privacy watchdogs don't have too severe an issue with what Google does, what makes you think they're doing anything super shady, or lying about what they're saying?

And lastly, remember...Google doesn't sell your data.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The issue os not the hardware. That side of this thing is not all that bad. It's the lack of a real OS to do anything with the hardware that is the killer here. This to me is a case of having an idea that fails because the tech to use it make the idea a reality had not been invented yet.

The tech not yet invented is:
- Easily accessible and cheap internet (speed and bandwidth)
- The HD web experience. Why have such a lovely screen when most of the web today can't make use of it.
- The cloud. It's great but can't yet be a totally HDD or SSD replacement.
- A way to make a vertical touchscreen attractive to the majority of users.
- Web security. Not one of google's strong points.

I can't think of anymore. So to me this machine is technology ahead of it's time. I say wait a few years and see if the world goes in this direction or not.

Totally agree. And I'm sure that Google knows that it will be a commercial failure

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Google - They copied Apple with android, with design, with marketing and a push in the high pixel displays. Why can't they copy the price!?

Cant tell if you are serious or not...but if you are, I want some of what you are smoking. Love the blind followers, lol. Hilarious how many people just talk out their ass on this forum....

----------

Any proof of this or it is like the "Google sells your data" mantra?

Proof? On MacRumors?? 99% fanboys spouting nonsense, and you know this

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
I think google has something more important and sensible project in store for us in the coming months. This was just a dry run.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Competition

Anyway disregard what people think, both the surface pro and pixel will push apple to innovate again so that's a good thing for us consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.