Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
There's a reason my company doesn't allow Andriod-based and other not-fully-secure OS's in our office.

So you guys only use OpenBSD? Because, except for certain military systems, OpenBSD is the only platform on the market that deserves the label "fully secure".

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Google Introduces the Chromebook Pixel to Compete With the MacBook Air

Far too expensive. Good hardware but let down by a fairly basic OS.

Allow it to run Android apps and lower the price then you've got a decent product IMO.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
I can understand why a second rate firm like Asus would couple Apple, but surely people who work for Google would have more dignity and honour?

Watching that marketing video is painful.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Hahaha ... did you see? :D
There is Peter Parker/Toby Maguire in the video? ;)

The second gentleman, namely Andrew Bowers, look exactly like Peter Parker. :p

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I just yesterday ordered a Samsung chromebook, at 249.00 and I thought that was high!

Last edited:

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
what I find ridiculous is that they say that I, if I buy one, should only keep their $1300-1400 laptop for 3 years. If that means after three years its going to break, then thats terrible quality.
If that means that after three years you should sell it, who is going to buy it? You have to pay more than $1000 a year to get more than 64gb of storage.
No one will buy one second hand, so you have a waste of a laptop, which probably isn't upgradeable.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
what I find ridiculous is that they say that I, if I buy one, should only keep their $1300-1400 laptop for 3 years. If that means after three years its going to break, then thats terrible quality.
If that means that after three years you should sell it, who is going to buy it? You have to pay more than $1000 a year to get more than 64gb of storage.
No one will buy one second hand, so you have a waste of a laptop, which probably isn't upgradeable.

In 3 years cloud services would be dirt cheap.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Why does this thing have a touchscreen display if the display can't be touched like a tablet but rather in vertical position?

And why does this run Chrome OS instead of Android? Wouldn't Android make much more sense?

DennisD7

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
London, UK
For all the things to criticize here I think the aspect ratio shouldn't be one of them. I have thoroughly been missing the 4:3 ratio myself, and I still only buy 4:3 external displays.

I think one of the reasons nobody was able to steal market shares from the iPad in the beginning was that all competing tablets were 16:9, which is pretty horrible for anything other than movies, and looks very bad in a portrait mode. It's a minor point, but still.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Wow Dude. Why did you lose your time to answer with real arguments to a troll ? :(
Everybody knows that Google is ripping off everybody privacy, only Google fanboy denies this facts or says it's not important.

The strangest thing is that your are telling an obvious troll (and likely sock puppet) to not waste his time responding to a troll.

Be wary of people who joined for a particular story just to post a series of inciting comments....

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
It's a fail for business...what business in their right mind would store its documents on someone else's "secure" cloud? Why would anyone want to be tied to a cloud for their programs/OS? Perhaps the "incredible" sales of their other Chrome books should have been a warning....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.