Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Does this work better then Spanning Sync? Spanning Sync offend duplicates my contacts with drives me nuts.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Does this work better then Spanning Sync? Spanning Sync offend duplicates my contacts with drives me nuts.
So far, it is working better for me than all the others I have tried.

NuevaSync
MobileMe

It is working better and with less bugs than either of those for me.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Google is feeling the pressure of Microsoft.

MS is about to let their "My Phone" site loose, which is their version of MobileMe.

I love all the competition, except now I'll have to decide which one to use. Apple isn't free; too bad for them. Google is fine, except now they'll know way too much about me; not sure I like that. Do I embrace the devil to get what I want? Hmm.

danredwing

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Portland OR
so, a question about contacts...

Funny, I just discovered Nuevasync last week and was pretty excited.

This is going to sync my iphone calendar directly with Google. Cool. I already use Busysync to line up iCal and GCal so my calendar is backed up on my machine.

It is also going to sync my contacts with Google. The problem is that although I can dump my contacts into Google, using A-G, I don't believe that there is any sync option that will keep my contacts updated with Address Book on my mac...and becaues Exchange is turned on, there is no syncing with iTunes manually...unless I leave the contacts Exchange syncing turned off on the iPhone.

Does anyone else not like this option? It is just a little disconcerting that my contacts aren't backed up on my machine physically.

Dan

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Problem, cant get my contacts to sync? What am i doing wrong?
Ical <> Google <> Iphone works great and fine (after setting up caldav)

But, contacts isn't syncing at all, its set ot in itunes, set to in iphone, and i think set in Mac os Address Book, but sure i done something wrong? Cant seem to find much info on setting the contacts up..

Still trying to fix this, update:

Iphone <> Google works fine it seems, but nothing will sync either way to "Address Book" on my Imac ? I tried it first with the "Synchronise with Google" option, and then even tried the "Exchange" option but neither seems to have any affect whatsoever :(:(

Is this working for other?

How does this work with Address Book? For me, accuracy of the local contacts are more important than my online Gmail contacts.

You have to visit your gmail (email) account (Google account) even if you don't have activated a gmail email address. Look there for "Contacts". Import your Mac's Address Book manually with an *.abbu-file (German-language Mac, I didn't need "A to G").

When I start "Contacts" on the iPhone I have an empty address book. But there is an icon at the top: "Groups". In the groups list you'll find your Exchange account name. Tap on it. Now you can search all your contacts and you'll get the data. I've added a test contact in gmail's contacts and it will be "searchable" in iPhone's contacts within 30 sec. A sync in the other direction did not work.

I am not sure if it is intended that way but anyway - you can find your contacts.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I wonder how long it will be "beta." Gmail's been beta for like 5 years now. I remember paying $3 for a gmail invite on ebay. Now it's free for everyone. Ah, supply and demand, I love you.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Can you be more specific so your post is helpful to others?

It is working flawlessly here.

Sure.

Some contacts got split up in several, because Google is limited to a certain amount of phone numbers per contact, profile pictures are not synced and not all of my calendars synced either.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Any news on battery life yet?

I currently have my Google sync on "manual" and want to switch it to push, but does that affect the battery life hugely?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Google can sync a calendar with an iPhone/iPod touch over the air using Microsoft's exchange servers. This means that such a calendar would be read/write, correct?

From there, that calendar can be synced up with iCal on the desktop side using Google's Calaboration, correct?

In theory, this should make it such that any changes that are made on the iPod touch/iPhone will be pushed to the Google calendar via the exchange servers, and from there the Google calendar will update on iCal. At that point, any changes made to said calendar in iCal would be synced up with the iPhone/iPod touch, right?

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
For those having issues getting multiple calendars to sync from google apps for your domain (this is a copy/paste from my answer on the google mobile help forums):

Go to m.google.com, then tap "configure for your domain" at the bottom, then hit the sync button, then hit the button for for google apps - then you can edit your calendars that sync.

For google aps, I got a message that says "sync has been disabled for your domain". Help the dummy here please. For the life of me I cannot find the sync setting for my domain under google aps. I'm a premier user, so I'm not sure if that changes what control panel I see or not.

Thx in advance.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I actually use MobileMe and sync google calendar through BusyMac.
Is it possible to use both mobileme and google sync togheter (deleting busymac) to sync both iCal and Google contacts / calendar ?

the question, is why would you use mobileme then. i have mobileme as well.

if googlecalenders syncs to your phone
you use googlecalendars as your web calendar tool
you can sync ical to googlecalenders for your mac

why even use mobileme calendars?

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
For google aps, I got a message that says "sync has been disabled for your domain". Help the dummy here please. For the life of me I cannot find the sync setting for my domain under google aps. I'm a premier user, so I'm not sure if that changes what control panel I see or not.

Thx in advance.

Ok, I answered my own question.

For Google Apps, you have to login to your dashboard. Then click on MOBILE. Only in that sub menu do you see a checkbox to enable Google Sync for Mobile. Click on that.

Then go to m.google.com via your mobile device. On the bottom there is a google aps button. Enter your domain. Then click on the sync setting up top for your domain and you can configure it to what you need.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Sure.

Some contacts got split up in several, because Google is limited to a certain amount of phone numbers per contact, profile pictures are not synced and not all of my calendars synced either.
Thanks.

Yea, on the limitations page, it says it is limited to 6 phone numbers.

As far as Calendars and Pictures go, I don't use but one calendar and no pictures, so I wouldn't have noticed that.

So there is one advantage in MobileMe's favor currently.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but after following this Google Calendar help document Get Started with CalDAV (then "Enable Google Calendar in Apple's iCal") I could easily put my Mac's iCal into the fabulous and very new Microsoft Google Live Sync Cloud. As I wrote before - any change in one of the three calendars will sync wireless to the others (with the known limitations). And snappier as you'll find the plug of your USB cable ;-)

I've added an event in my Mac's iCal (BTW works with FlexCal but not with the Widget QuickCal and you have to choose the sync calendar) and it showed up within seconds in my iPhone's Mobile Calendar (even some seconds earlier than in Google Calendar where you have to hit refresh). This is very usable and seems to work better than Contacts Sync.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Great to know. Looks like I know what I'll be working on this evening after work!

KiwiLee

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Wellington, NZ
You have to visit your gmail (email) account (Google account) even if you don't have activated a gmail email address. Look there for "Contacts". Import your Mac's Address Book manually with an *.abbu-file (German-language Mac, I didn't need "A to G").

When I start "Contacts" on the iPhone I have an empty address book. But there is an icon at the top: "Groups". In the groups list you'll find your Exchange account name. Tap on it. Now you can search all your contacts and you'll get the data. I've added a test contact in gmail's contacts and it will be "searchable" in iPhone's contacts within 30 sec. A sync in the other direction did not work.

I am not sure if it is intended that way but anyway - you can find your contacts.

Thanks, but thats not my problem. I got all my contacts "transfered" all fine to all apps and devices. But if i add a test contact on iphone, it only appears on the google web, it does not push to my Home Desktop, and vice versa, if i add a contact on desktop, it doesn't push anywhere at all. The connection between Web and Iphone is great and fast. But my "Address Book" App on Mac just doesn't seem to be talking to anything..? :(

Holy the Goalie

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Will Google Sync copy additional contact fields to gmail, like birthdays, etc? It doesn't seem like it would, since I haven't found a "birthday" field in gmail.

Assuming that gmail can't handle birthdays, can I sync my contacts with gmail (thereby erasing all my contacts on my phone and replacing them with my gmail contacts), add birthdays/additional fields, and have my iPhone retain those additional fields during subsequent over-the-air syncs?

This is a little new for me, and I'm kind of a tech retard, so if I made any incorrect assumptions, please let me know.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
If you are using an exchange email account for syncing just email (work) can you use the google exchange sync as well to sync the iCal gogle calendar? Or are you stuck with only one exchange account n the phone and therefore you can only sync the work calendar?

Good question... I don't know, I don't have an Exchange Server for work, this is my first experience with MSExchange. I have a suspicion that the answer is that you are stuck with only one exchange account for everything (i.e., you can't use different Exchange accounts for different services as of now).

I think the inability to sync to both Exchange and iCal/Address Book is a big hole in the feature set here, personally.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
How can i use google sync to keep my outlook 2007 contact lists on 2 different pc's synchronized with eachother and my iphone.

Or is there another suggestion on how to keep them synchronized.

I currently use google calendar sync to keep my outlook 2007 calendars on my 2 pc's synced.

It's the contacts that i've been unable to figure out an easy way to sync.

Thanks.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I played with this yesterday and I am confident that it may replace MobileMe. Funny thing; the colors do not coordinate between Calendar.app and Google Calendar.

Personally, the bookmarks syncing is an important component of 'push' for me. On average I add 5 bookmarks per day.

GMail in actuality is 'push' enough for me. Many suggest that it contacts the IMAP server every three minutes.

I would love to eliminate the $99/year MobileMe as I haven't utilized the photo uploads as much as I expected.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I spent a couple hrs yesterday setting this up, and cleaning up my gmail contacts in preparation. This is awesome- unlike mobile-me, it has worked flawlessly so far, with contacts syncing flawlessly and instantaneously.

Apple can screw off with mobileme being a premium service. This stuff should be free, and I appreciate that Google has pulled this off. I'm trying to research the best way to get ical+addressbook to also sync in this fashion- but if not, its no big loss. Since I'm always in gmail, this solution makes the most sense. This has definitely replaced itunes contact/calendar syncing for me, and I'm thankful for it.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Is anyone else getting the notice that your account may not be able to send or receive e mails?

Edit: I'm an idiot; I guess this is b/c it's not yet ready to sync with e mail?

Also, what's the drawback if I choose not to sync contacts up with this and opt to keep my Address Book synced up on my Mac instead?

snowpuff

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
long time lurker... first time poster

i have set this up and have found it to sync photos as well (from google contacts --> iphone or iphone --> google contacts) contrary to a previous poster's observation

i have been set up for 2 days now and FWIW i have seen lag of between almost instantaneous to 90-120 seconds for a contact to sync

calendar syncing has been even better with lag of always less than 10 seconds in my experience

KiwiLee

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Wellington, NZ
Thanks, but thats not my problem. I got all my contacts "transfered" all fine to all apps and devices. But if i add a test contact on iphone, it only appears on the google web, it does not push to my Home Desktop, and vice versa, if i add a contact on desktop, it doesn't push anywhere at all. The connection between Web and Iphone is great and fast. But my "Address Book" App on Mac just doesn't seem to be talking to anything..? :(

100s of people trying this out, nobody please ? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.