Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianhhh

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
re:defrag

da5id said:
iDefrag-2, like suggested, or, if you have another drive you can clone to, Superduper. (Cloning to and then back from another drive does what a defrag program does, minus the fancy "optimization" of file locations, which I doubt makes a huge difference.) This feature is free on Superduper.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

cool..thanks for th advice , wil back up and hav a go... an mr tekmoe, i wil wait 4a few benchmarks then prob go 4 it!

any idea what i will get 4 my full spec 17 pbk with 2 yr appcare left? mayb not worth it an shud keep as backup..

Rocketman

macrumors 603
bcavanau said:
Start thinking of any other questions/test you want me to run...

I will check this thread at work all day tommorow and download any software, etc...and run them all when I get home...

Thanks for being patient with me...

Good night...see you on the flip side.

What's wrong with this guy? He thinks food, sleep, Lost, restroom breaks, and work are somehow more important than playing with a new comuputer!

:)

:)

Thanks bcavanau. Excellent early news and SCOOPS!

Rocketman

DShel

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Chicago, Illinois USA
Zadillo said:
You'd have to have an 802.11n router (and in these pre-N days, you'd specifically have to have a router compatible with the pre-N chipset used in the particular card being.

It's basically like with 802.11g....... you can only use 802.11g if the router supports it as well. Connect to an 802.11b base station and you'll just get 802.11b speeds and range.
So, just to be clear, if the new MBPs (one of which I just ordered) indeed have this wireless N card "D-Link RangeBooster N 650", if I go out and buy the D-Link DIR-635 router that supports it, will I be able to obtain the N speeds/benefits out of the box? Or is there something in OS X that prevents it (until Apple decides to turn it on)?:confused:

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
DShel said:
So, just to be clear, if the new MBPs (one of which I just ordered) indeed have this wireless N card "D-Link RangeBooster N 650", if I go out and buy the D-Link DIR-635 router that supports it, will I be able to obtain the N speeds/benefits out of the box? Or is there something in OS X that prevents it (until Apple decides to turn it on)?:confused:

The current OSX driver does not support N so you will have to wait until apple releases a driver update before you can take advantage of N under OS X. Bootcamp/Windows should work though.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
ianhhh said:
cool..thanks for th advice , wil back up and hav a go... an mr tekmoe, i wil wait 4a few benchmarks then prob go 4 it!

any idea what i will get 4 my full spec 17 pbk with 2 yr appcare left? mayb not worth it an shud keep as backup..

Are you using your phone to browse to the forum and type? Come on, words are not that hard to type. I even use full words on my phone, though it does have a full keyboard.

The only time you can get away with typing like that is after your fourth shot of wild turkey, which you needed to clear out the taste of the "other" liquor you have been pounding on. Either that or a stripper is earning his/her 50 bucks from you, but then again, why would you be typing at a time like that?

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
DShel said:

The card is not a D-Link, just that driver does work. (i.e. same make/model).

The card is used in OS X as a 802.11g, not N, so no speed benefit in OS X. In Windows XP with the D-Link driver, 802.11n speeds should be realized.

So if you are strictly going OS X, no sense in buying a new router any time soon...until Apple updates to use the full potential.

Not to mention compatibility will be questionablel, as the "n" spec is not definate, so no telling whether it would do much or not.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
mleary said:
The current OSX driver does not support N so you will have to wait until apple releases a driver update before you can take advantage of N under OS X. Bootcamp/Windows should work though.

That plus N provides little or no real-world speed boost, though it does get you longer range due to the multiple antenna design. It is especially bad when you put multiple users on the network because distance between people can cause all kinds of catastrohic issues. 802.11n takes care of some of that, but the problem is most people are still at g or b, which still clobbers n.

Max throughput on 802.11x is ~25-30% utilization. The more users/neighbors/other interference around the lower that speed. If you live on a farmhouse in rural nowhere, the speed will be tremendous.

I am just sick of seeing "108mbps" or "54" or whatever the number they claim to exist when in reality max is in the 2-5mb/s range for most users in most conditions.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
shecky said:
bcavanau , i know that user slffl is trying to find out if the hinge design is the same as the old units, does it tilt back the same amount?
i really want to know this! i reckon its the same as the last mbp but i can only hope its more...

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
shecky said:
bcavanau , i know that user slffl is trying to find out if the hinge design is the same as the old units, does it tilt back the same amount?

i don't know how far the previous mbp tilted back but the new mbp definitely does not tilt back as far as my previous 17" 1.67ghz G4.

ianhhh

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
tarjan said:
Are you using your phone to browse to the forum and type? Come on, words are not that hard to type. I even use full words on my phone, though it does have a full keyboard.

The only time you can get away with typing like that is after your fourth shot of wild turkey, which you needed to clear out the taste of the "other" liquor you have been pounding on. Either that or a stripper is earning his/her 50 bucks from you, but then again, why would you be typing at a time like that?

its jus easier an quiker

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
shecky said:

I will definately add this to the list.

I am at work right now, so I am compiling a list of things to check, and software to run, benchmarks, etc...and will run them all later this evening when I get home.

I will most likely take a picture of the unit to show the hinge movement.

visualmaximus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
rw1979 said:
I ordered my very first mac (a 17" macbook pro C2D) from Apple on the day they released it and the estimated shipping date is the 7th of Nov with a 15th Nov expected delivery date. Anyone here reckon that it'll ship from Cork in Ireland (where I am at present) rather than from China? I'm only wondering since Intel makes a load of chips here and I think Apple manufactures here too.

Same ETA for me and Im in the US. :(

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
benzygoat said:
As soon as somebody receives a new MBP with the 160GB 5400rpm disk, could you please post the manufacturer and model number?

thanks!

-ben

Sure. how do i check that info?

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
benzygoat said:
Is that something related to Karl Marx? Or Groucho Marx?

(sorry, "im not up 2 dat on tha l1ng0")

-ben
(proponent of literacy)

Haha. I agree with you, Ben. I've got many friends who won't IM with me because I'm such a "grammar nazi". I usually say things like that to them.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
mdntcallr said:

Hi there mdntcallr. Select "about this mac" from the Apple menu, and then select "more info". It should be under the "Serial-ATA" section.

nick004

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Don't you wanna do some benchmarks while your checking the HDD info?

EDIT: just quickly :)

benzygoat

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC, Canada
mdntcallr said:

Thanks mdncallr! You should be able to view this in Apple System Profiler (Applications > Utilities) under one of the categories you can select on the left-hand pane, probably "serial ATA" or "SATA disks" or however it is labeled. It will show in the right-hand pane a bunch of info on the drive in the system which you can probably copy/paste.

-ben

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
davidskp said:
I ordered the MBP as soon as the danish online store came back up this tuesday. When i had placed my order it said estimated shipping date: 30.oct and expected delivery by 3.nov.
Today (26th) they shipped it by TNT but now the expected delivery date is 4.nov. How can ealier shipment result in later delivery? which date should i trust?
Danish store for me too, exact same scenario, except my delivery date has changed to 6. of november.. Annoying..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.