Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericlmercer

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Earlier this week, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that the bankruptcy filing wouldn’t affect Apple’s forthcoming wearables debut. According to a new report from Digitimes, the reason for this is that Apple has a backup plan in the form of two other sapphire cover suppliers besides GT Advanced: the South Korea-based Hansol Technics and China-based Harbin Aurora Optoelectronics Technology.

So, it seems  has a backup plan...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Actually, if you bought a lot of shares at $1, you would be doing quite well. Could sell them today for a 29% gain (less capital gains taxes of course). That's quite excellent. And who knows, some day they could still be worth quite a lot more if they don't go out of business. I don't think that's a really bad bet.

Very highly unlikely. Traders in GT stock are speculating in tulip bulbs. This stock is intrinsically worth nothing.

----------

The stock closed after hours at $0.95. I wouldn't touch their stock with a 10-mile pole. It's exceedingly likely that all common shareholders will have their value completely wiped out during chapter 11 given what we now know about GTAT's financial state.

Correct.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Except according to the laws of physics there is a huge difference. Very funny.

Except that Apple isn't going to use a piece of sapphire as thick as you would find on a watch. So what you are left with is some type of hybrid gorilla glass/sapphire glass. Or use a thin, brittle piece of sapphire as the only glass, adn risk it shattering on low impact.

Lannoc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Your *worst case* scenario is that you're out $16/share. Currently, you're out $14-15/share.

Here's the question:
How many shares did you buy, and is the approx $1-2/share you can get for it *now* worth so much to you *now* that you can't afford to be without it?

I was willing to take a chance on 1000 shares when it was $16. I knew it was a risk and was prepared to lose that much if things went south. Obviously wasn't what I was hoping for, but to sell today and recoup $800 is insignificant in the grand scheme of things for me.

----------

NS... I did actually... realize that... he doesn't have billions in the bank... I'll be sure to label future facetious comments as such for your benefit bro ... ;)

Who said I don't have billions in the bank? :roll eyes:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I actually dislike (hate is for the devil) all of your posts.

No no no. There's a lot of other stuff I hate. Children, liver, traffic jams, One Direction, diarrhoea... the list is endless.

So, I guess I'm the devil then. That would explain a lot.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
No no no. There's a lot of other stuff I hate. Children, liver, traffic jams, One Direction, diarrhoea... the list is endless.

So, I guess I'm the devil then. That would explain a lot.

You hate children? You know, all of us were children at one point in our lives. Some still are. Some still ACT like children.

You hate liver? Aw man, I love liver with onions, I don't eat it daily, but it's nice to have once in a while. Chopped chicken liver salad? If it's done properly it's great. One Direction, I can understand. Diarrhea, I can understand. Traffic Jams, I can understand.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
You hate children? You know, all of us were children at one point in our lives. Some still are. Some still ACT like children.

You hate liver? Aw man, I love liver with onions, I don't eat it daily, but it's nice to have once in a while. Chopped chicken liver salad? If it's done properly it's great. One Direction, I can understand. Diarrhea, I can understand. Traffic Jams, I can understand.

Yeah, we were all children once, but I still absolutely hate them. Obviously, I didn't hate children when I was a child, but then I didn't realise just how loud, annoying, loud, stupid and loud I was.

Almost as bad as children are parents. Or maybe they're worse as they do, after all, create the children I hate so much.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
Yeah, we were all children once, but I still absolutely hate them. Obviously, I didn't hate children when I was a child, but then I didn't realise just how loud, annoying, loud, stupid and loud I was.

Almost as bad as children are parents. Or maybe they're worse as they do, after all, create the children I hate so much.

Not all kids are out of control, some are extremely well mannered and well behaved and are quiet, it's just the ones that get hyped up on sugar and have parents that don't know how to raise kids.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Not all kids are out of control, some are extremely well mannered and well behaved and are quiet, it's just the ones that get hyped up on sugar and have parents that don't know how to raise kids.

It's very noble of you to try and convince me otherwise, but I'm 31 and I'm quite sure that all children are vile. And I hate them.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
It's very noble of you to try and convince me otherwise, but I'm 31 and I'm quite sure that all children are vile. And I hate them.

OK, well, I'll keep any children that i have away from you so you don't blow a head gasket and become a maniac child killer. We have to watch out of folks like you, we never know what you're gonna do.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Except that Apple isn't going to use a piece of sapphire as thick as you would find on a watch. So what you are left with is some type of hybrid gorilla glass/sapphire glass. Or use a thin, brittle piece of sapphire as the only glass, adn risk it shattering on low impact.

You don't know a lot about Saphire glass or basic engineering. You only need to make saohire an incredibly small fraction thicker gorilla glass to have the same impact resistance with hundreds of times more scratch resistance. Shatter resistance increases with the cube of depth so if it takes 2 times more force to shatter gorilla glass 12 than sapphire, you only need your Saphire glass 25.9% thicker

Rico-Suave

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
How Apple works

I used to work for a company that supplied Apple with stuff. Here's how it works; if you want to go to the dance with them, they make you jump through a gazillion hoops, purchase specialized equipment [at your expense], bring your facilities up to their security standards [also at your expense]. When they feel like taking their business elsewhere, they do.

I gotta give Apple my props; they don't nickel and dime their vendors. In fact, they pay quickly and express gratitude for extraordinary effort. If you're an incompetent screw up, it's one strike and you're out. They don't suffer incompetance.

Apple can be a tough task master, but they will reward you nicely if you can hang. If you're not up to it they will chew you up and spit you out. Sounds to me like GTAT couldn't deal with Apple's demanding nature, and are bailing.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Very highly unlikely. Traders in GT stock are speculating in tulip bulbs. This stock is intrinsically worth nothing.

It's not now. But anyone could have bought and sold it yesterday for a nice profit. But yeah, for the future, I certainly wouldn't touch it at this point, especially with the story getting fishier by the day. Pretty sure Apple will survive, if anyone goes down, it's going to be GT, regardless of who was to blame.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
You don't know a lot about Saphire glass or basic engineering. You only need to make saohire an incredibly small fraction thicker gorilla glass to have the same impact resistance with hundreds of times more scratch resistance. Shatter resistance increases with the cube of depth so if it takes 2 times more force to shatter gorilla glass 12 than sapphire, you only need your Saphire glass 25.9% thicker

And still Apple didn't choose sapphire over gorilla glass...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's not now. But anyone could have bought and sold it yesterday for a nice profit. But yeah, for the future, I certainly wouldn't touch it at this point, especially with the story getting fishier by the day. Pretty sure Apple will survive, if anyone goes down, it's going to be GT, regardless of who was to blame.

For all intents and purposes, the stock of a company in bankruptcy is worthless. Even if the company survives, the equity probably will not. When a stock lops off 90% in one trading session, that's the message. That doesn't mean that nobody will buy it in the hopes of finding a bigger fool to buy it from them.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I'm betting that Apple were oppressive partners, and GT just wanted the heck out.

Yes so oppressive giving them $400+ Million to build out the factory and buy equipment that GT themselves couldn't. In addition their core competency as a sapphire maker was overstated as they do not have the experience to produce at a much larger scale.

Small potato company dreaming big and getting someone else to pay for the expansion only to realize they actually suck as a larger company. Sounds familiar.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
Yes so oppressive giving them $400+ Million to build out the factory and buy equipment that GT themselves couldn't. In addition their core competency as a sapphire maker was overstated as they do not have the experience to produce at a much larger scale.

Small potato company dreaming big and getting someone else to pay for the expansion only to realize they actually suck as a larger company. Sounds familiar.

Sounds like the CEO of GTAT is just lazy, maybe he needs to go into another line of work. He's obviously not hungry enough for Apple's business.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Sounds like the CEO of GTAT is just lazy, maybe he needs to go into another line of work. He's obviously not hungry enough for Apple's business.

Yes lazy and unqualified. Also inexperience as a CEO by bad mouthing the contract publicly. Competent companies do competent work. Clearly they are not.

----------

I was willing to take a chance on 1000 shares when it was $16. I knew it was a risk and was prepared to lose that much if things went south. Obviously wasn't what I was hoping for, but to sell today and recoup $800 is insignificant in the grand scheme of things for me.

----------

Who said I don't have billions in the bank? :roll eyes:

You seriously bought 1000 shares at $16??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.