Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powercrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
So I think I've tracked it down to a power issue. If I take the same card out of the pro and connect it up in a PC with only 6 of the 8 connectors connected (based on the normal 6 pin plug in the mac pro) the PC boots successfully to a black screen.

Doing the same with all 8 connected, card behaves normally. I verified the bios and it is correctly stating the flashed details. So, thinking that for this particular card, I need ALL 8 pins on each connector to be connected, I've ordered 2 6->8 pin cables for a mac pro. I'll get them tomorrow and should be able to retest then.

Well that worked! Once I got the 6->8 pin adapters I can now boot in to OS X able to see both the white boot screens and the OS just fine over HDMI, will be switching to mini display port as soon as my adapter arrives to run an older Apple Cinema display. Note that the output from the DVI port is garbled for some reason as soon as it hits the OS.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I have a similar issue with a 680 GTX classified card. The flash works ok in a windows pc, but when i put it in my macpro 3.1 and boot i see the loading bar and a login. Everything works fine........

But i cannot seem to boot to a different disk or usb stick when i boot holding the option key.
What is going wrong? /amd i doing wrong ?

Help apreciated!

Thanx!
Poekel

powercrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
Hi,
I have a similar issue with a 680 GTX classified card. The flash works ok in a windows pc, but when i put it in my macpro 3.1 and boot i see the loading bar and a login. Everything works fine........

But i cannot seem to boot to a different disk or usb stick when i boot holding the option key.
What is going wrong? /amd i doing wrong ?

Help apreciated!

Thanx!
Poekel

I'm going to take a stab at the issue having nothing to do with your graphics card but I'm guessing you are using a wireless Bluetooth keyboard? If so, the keyboard won't initialize until the startup chime so if you are holding the key combo on power on, it won't work. I press the combo once the chime is almost done.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
The wireless Bluetooth keyboard is in place, indeed. I tried the option key hit just after the chime, but it does not work.
THe usb key or any other disk then the ssd(boot) is not seen.........
Any ideas ?

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Well I flashed the 4gb gtx680 "classified" card with the rom file at the start of this thread (after backing up of course) and I get the boot screen on the lower dvi port.
EXCEPT
the card no longer works properly... the second dvi port image is often scrambled and the fans run louder in mac and pc. so i flashed it back..

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The ROM file at the start of this thread is old and known to have problems with the upper DVI port. You should use the ROM file that is linked to in my instructions. @Fl0r!an found and fixed the issue in that ROM.

As for power, the Classified card is known to require all 8-pins. In fact there have been reports of certain types of 6-to-8 pin adapters not working because there are a couple of different ways to wire those. IIRC, the ones that work are single 6-pin to single 8-pin, where the extra 2 pins on the 8-pin side are jumpered to ground. The ones that don't work are dual 6-pin to single 8-pin where user leaves one of the 6-pin connectors unconnected; in this case the extra 2 pins on the 8-pin side are not presenting ground like the card wants.

Some cards work fine with just 6-pins connected, so no adapter is needed. For example my FTW edition card which I tested with Furmark even. It's like those cars with 4 exhaust tips but 2 of them are fake and the other 2 are for show. But there is no list of which cards work like this and which do not, so the safe advice is always populate all the pins and always connect all the connectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: macguru9999

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The ROM file at the start of this thread is old and known to have problems with the upper DVI port. You should use the ROM file that is linked to in my instructions. @Fl0r!an found and fixed the issue in that ROM.

As for power, the Classified card is known to require all 8-pins. In fact there have been reports of certain types of 6-to-8 pin adapters not working because there are a couple of different ways to wire those. IIRC, the ones that work are single 6-pin to single 8-pin, where the extra 2 pins on the 8-pin side are jumpered to ground. The ones that don't work are dual 6-pin to single 8-pin where user leaves one of the 6-pin connectors unconnected; in this case the extra 2 pins on the 8-pin side are not presenting ground like the card wants.

Some cards work fine with just 6-pins connected, so no adapter is needed. For example my FTW edition card which I tested with Furmark even. It's like those cars with 4 exhaust tips but 2 of them are fake and the other 2 are for show. But there is no list of which cards work like this and which do not, so the safe advice is always populate all the pins and always connect all the connectors.
Thanks, I will give it a try !

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I flashed the 680 GTX classified again with the rom from @Fl0r!an. It does not make any diffence.
If i hold the option key just after the chime, it just starts up normal (no extra/different disk shown)
There is a little switch on the card. Does the swith has anything to do with this? Or not at all ?
I just use nvflash -6 <florian-rom file>
Please help .......

baru23

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
My 2 cents: I have the evga 04g-p4-3685-kr. Both roms had some weird artifacts in windows 10 (when mouse hovering in Chrome). Didn't try on mac yet. Also failed to load windows when had 2 screens connected for the first time(dp, hdmi).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hi,
I flashed the 680 GTX classified again with the rom from @Fl0r!an. It does not make any diffence.
If i hold the option key just after the chime, it just starts up normal (no extra/different disk shown)
There is a little switch on the card. Does the swith has anything to do with this? Or not at all ?
I just use nvflash -6 <florian-rom file>
Please help .......

You need to do more than just "-6". See the step-by-step procedure linked to in my signature.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I have put the GTX 680 classified aside.....
I have found a gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2 which i would like to flash. I tried it with a a 2GB rom i found , but i still dont see a bootscreen..
Its driving me nuts......
What am i doing wrong......
Am i using the wrong rom ? does anybody have the correct rom for me ?
Help highly appreciated!

Poekel

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,
I have put the GTX 680 classified aside.....
I have found a gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2 which i would like to flash. I tried it with a a 2GB rom i found , but i still dont see a bootscreen..
Its driving me nuts......
What am i doing wrong......
Am i using the wrong rom ? does anybody have the correct rom for me ?
Help highly appreciated!

Poekel
If your eVGA Classified is the 4GB model, you have to use the 4GB version of the ROM. Read here:

Step-by-Step Instructions for Flashing GTX680

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Of course i used the 4GB version.....
Somehow it does not work
I put the gtx680 4GB aside and focus on the gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2
Do you know/have a good rom for me ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Of course i used the 4GB version.....
Somehow it does not work
I put the gtx680 4GB aside and focus on the gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2
Do you know/have a good rom for me ?
My Classified 4GB works fine with the 4GB ROM.

Asus cards are really hit and miss, I don't have any working for this personality.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
If i use the rom in the step-by-step instructions i get a bin file not a rom file
do i have to rename it ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If i use the rom in the step-by-step instructions i get a bin file not a rom file
do i have to rename it ?
Extensions .bin and .rom here are the same binary format and won't matter, just rename it.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I saw that it was in the instructions. I must have missed it.

The problem:
I have 2 macpro's 3.1 and 2 gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2. I flashed both. (everything ok)
In the first macpro3.1 everything works ok, and i have bootscreens on all the ports (dvi,hdmi)
On the second macpro (32GB memory) it does not work. I tried everything

power on - wait for the chime - hold down the option key
power on - DONT wait for the chime - press the option key direct
it all does not matter.......
Does somebody have an idea ?
Thanx!

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
Hi,
I saw that it was in the instructions. I must have missed it.

The problem:
I have 2 macpro's 3.1 and 2 gtx680-dc2-2gd5-v2. I flashed both. (everything ok)
In the first macpro3.1 everything works ok, and i have bootscreens on all the ports (dvi,hdmi)
On the second macpro (32GB memory) it does not work. I tried everything

power on - wait for the chime - hold down the option key
power on - DONT wait for the chime - press the option key direct
it all does not matter.......
Does somebody have an idea ?
Thanx!
Did you tried to put the GTX 680 that work on 3,1 to 5,1 just to make sure the GTX 680 you're using in 5,1 is not the culprit? (Or put the GTX 680 that didn't work in 5,1 into 3,1 to check).

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I somehow solved the mistery.........
On the second macpro 3.1 which did not work there is a problem with my wireless keyboard i think (Bluetooth)
On the first macpro 3.1 everything works when i hit the option key when i hear the chime, but the second macpro 3.1 startsup ok without the bootscreen...
So i think its a bluetooth problem somehow
The i put the gtx680 4GB in and used an ordinary wired keyboard. When i use the alt key the classified gtx680 showns me bootscreens............

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
the bootscreen does not work on the hdmi interface.......
Does somebody know a solution ?

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Does anybody have an actual ROM for the GTX 680? I've problems with my dual-boot Windows 10 installation and the Windows driver - after installation I've a black screen starting with the login screen....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.