Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimj740

macrumors regular
Curiously I seem to be getting a… rather different result from LuxMark than you guys. This is a 2008 Mac Pro, 8-core 2.8 GHz, 22 GB RAM. What's going on here? Heh.

If I understand you correctly, you are puzzled that you got a much higher score than the luxmark scores previously posted in this thread. The reason for that is there are three different tests, and the previous postings were for the "room" scene, whereas you posted "sala" scene results. You may be confused by the fact that "sala" is in fact, a room. The choice of scene names is unfortunate.

Last edited:

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
If I understand you correctly, you are puzzled that you got a much higher score than the luxmark scores previously posted in this thread. The reason for that is there are three different tests, and the previous postings were for the "room" scene, whereas you posted "sala" scene results. You may be confused by the fact that "sala" is in fact, a room. The choice of scene names is unfortunate.

Thanks! I hadn't even noticed that or paid attention to the image LuxMark was rendering—I just started it and let it go. I get a closer result on Room, which is still a bit higher than others' posted scores. The card seems to be "working" fine even if game performance seems to be dragging (especially in WoW).

luxmark2.png

I may boot into Windows and see what happens with the games there.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Do I need an additional power source for the zotac 680 4gb? It has 6+6 pin.

I want to install it into a Power Mac 4.1

----------

I just bought a Mac Pro 5,1 second hand this week for £999. Excellent condition, and with a 1 year warranty. A 2.8 Quad with 5770, 12Gb RAM and a 1Tb drive. Found out that it also has Applecare till April 2014 which wasn't advertised.

I already have the W3680 and a Zotac 680GTX 4Gb, ordered along with a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro and an SSD. I wanted to keep the Optical Bay free for a Bluray, and I can put a second larger SSD on the Sonnet Board.

I am guessing if looking at Hackintosh route that official support isn't a requirement so well worth looking at second hand Mac Pro's

I'm going to do the same upgrade. How is your new Mac running?

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
are there any web drivers of mavericks?
I downloaded WebDriver-313.01.03f02 but won't install!
thanks

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Not yet! Remember in 10.8, Nvidia didn't issues web drivers until 10.8.2.

Lou

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Do I need an additional power source for the zotac 680 4gb? It has 6+6 pin.

I want to install it into a Power Mac 4.1

----------

I'm going to do the same upgrade. How is your new Mac running?

Is running fine. GPU has been flawless, no sign of any issues and having seen the price of the hexacore nMp then glad I did this.

Powers through my video editing ( mainly Elagto TV recordings ) in FCP X, which I find much more responsive then iMove under ML. Have yet to try under Mavericks with iMovie

I have not installed the nvidia driver under Mavericks as had some issues with drive and iMove under ML, and not really noticed any issues at all with the bundled Apple driver

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Is running fine. GPU has been flawless, no sign of any issues and having seen the price of the hexacore nMp then glad I did this.

Powers through my video editing ( mainly Elagto TV recordings ) in FCP X, which I find much more responsive then iMove under ML. Have yet to try under Mavericks with iMovie

I have not installed the nvidia driver under Mavericks as had some issues with drive and iMove under ML, and not really noticed any issues at all with the bundled Apple driver

Thanks for your feedback.

My new CPU will arrive tomorrow, the Zotac before the weekend. I've also ordered a Sonnet SSD Pro, a USB 3.0 card and a Samsung 1TB SSD that will be used together with my current SSD.

Can't wait to pimp my Mac :)

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I changed the settings in kepler bios tweakier to 1111mhz base clock 1176mhz boost clock yet my luxmark score is still the 330 (GPU,8,1176Mhz) on room
same as before.
what settings do I need for over clock to work?

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Help!

Hi All,

I flashed my EVGA GTX 680 SC 2 GB with this method no problem a couple months ago. Recently, I picked up two Zotac 4 GB models with the intention of flashing them in the same manner. However, when I go to run the command line to actually flash the card, I get this error:

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility <Version 5.134>

ERROR: Unable to setup NVFLASH driver <0x00000002>

NVFlash seems to work if I open it by double clicking on the .exe file. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of my NVIDIA software and drivers to no avail. I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I can't figure it out! Can anyone help point me in a more productive direction?

Thank you!!!

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Hi All,

I flashed my EVGA GTX 680 SC 2 GB with this method no problem a couple months ago. Recently, I picked up two Zotac 4 GB models with the intention of flashing them in the same manner. However, when I go to run the command line to actually flash the card, I get this error:

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility <Version 5.134>

ERROR: Unable to setup NVFLASH driver <0x00000002>

NVFlash seems to work if I open it by double clicking on the .exe file. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of my NVIDIA software and drivers to no avail. I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I can't figure it out! Can anyone help point me in a more productive direction?

Thank you!!!
You using an admin command prompt to run it and the account is an administrator type? Double clicking the exe will just open and close the app you need to use the rom name and switches for it to do anything

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the quick advice Gav. That I did understand, it's that when I went to the command window to execute the actual flash that I received my error.

I did resolve the issue however by creating a new user account in windows. Everything went swimmingly after that. I'm not sure if I had some remnant in my user profile from flashing the other model GTX 680, or if I neglected to bring the related .sys file along for nvflash. Anyhow, both cards are now flashed successfully and running at pcie 2.0. Hooray!

Thanks so much to everyone in this and the related threads. It has made my mac so much more awesome, and the upgrade process (relatively) painless. Cheers!

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Installed and flashed my Zotac GTX680 4GB in a upgraded 4.1 with a new W3860 CPU.

Runs without any problems and much more silent than my old Radeon 4870.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Thanks for the quick advice Gav. That I did understand, it's that when I went to the command window to execute the actual flash that I received my error.

I did resolve the issue however by creating a new user account in windows. Everything went swimmingly after that. I'm not sure if I had some remnant in my user profile from flashing the other model GTX 680, or if I neglected to bring the related .sys file along for nvflash. Anyhow, both cards are now flashed successfully and running at pcie 2.0. Hooray!

Thanks so much to everyone in this and the related threads. It has made my mac so much more awesome, and the upgrade process (relatively) painless. Cheers!

No problem - you could have the very familiar problem of file (and in Windows case also registry) permissions, I would do a quick malware scan using the weekly build of adwcleaner from bleepingcomputer.com as most of them are caused with a Trojan and a fresh user account usually temporarily fixes it.

Enjoy!

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Installed and flashed my Zotac GTX680 4GB in a upgraded 4.1 with a new W3860 CPU.

Runs without any problems and much more silent than my old Radeon 4870.

I'm looking at upgrading possibly to a Zotac GTX 680 card as well - If your 4GB card works, is there any reason to believe the 2GB 680 AMP! Edition won't work too? Looks like it is also 2x 6pin connectors but haven't been able to find if it draws more power.

I'd be installing it in a 6 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I'm looking at upgrading possibly to a Zotac GTX 680 card as well - If your 4GB card works, is there any reason to believe the 2GB 680 AMP! Edition won't work too? Looks like it is also 2x 6pin connectors but haven't been able to find if it draws more power.

I'd be installing it in a 6 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro

Every GTX 680 should work, but I can't confirm this ;)

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
hello guys, thanks for the useful tips.
I'll try them with my 4GB Zotac 680.

I'm totally new to this kind of stuff and some questions raised up in my mind:

1. What happen when new drivers come out? Will I be required to flash my card again with the ROM you provided, or wait for another ROM to be released?
    Or is it most likely that I would be able to install any new driver from nvdia without worries?
  2. I didn't clearly understand if after the hack my card will run at PCI-E 2.0 speeds ALSO in Windows7/bootcamp?
  3. Also, since I'm totally new to hardware setups and curious about numbers, does anybody would be so gentle to explain me what exactly are the consequences from running the card at PCI-E 1.0 speed? Will be the card slowed down? Can you put down some numbers, please?
    (I'm planning to use my gpu for heavy After Effects, UDK and Octane render, under Windows7/bootcamp.)
  4. I know that "6pins to 8 pins" topic has been over debated, but I'd like some clarification. Let's pretend that my Zotac features a 6pins port and a 8pins port.
    I read a bit about the concerns on using a 6to8 pins adapter or just plugging the 6 pins cable into the 8pins port of gpu: both methods share the potential issue of the card could drawing more than 75watt from one of the 6pins port on the logic board.
    What if I use this cable: http://www.mykablo.com/pictures/CB-2X6F8M-unit.jpg , It let me connect both the 6pins port on the motherboard to the 8pins port on the GPU, leaving empty the 6pins port on the GPU. It sounds to me safer than the other two methods, but again, noob here.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
hello guys, thanks for the useful tips.
I'll try them with my 4GB Zotac 680.

I'm totally new to this kind of stuff and some questions raised up in my mind:

1. What happen when new drivers come out? Will I be required to flash my card again with the ROM you provided, or wait for another ROM to be released?
    Or is it most likely that I would be able to install any new driver from nvdia without worries?
  2. I didn't clearly understand if after the hack my card will run at PCI-E 2.0 speeds ALSO in Windows7/bootcamp?
  3. Also, since I'm totally new to hardware setups and curious about numbers, does anybody would be so gentle to explain me what exactly are the consequences from running the card at PCI-E 1.0 speed? Will be the card slowed down? Can you put down some numbers, please?
    (I'm planning to use my gpu for heavy After Effects, UDK and Octane render, under Windows7/bootcamp.)
  4. I know that "6pins to 8 pins" topic has been over debated, but I'd like some clarification. Let's pretend that my Zotac features a 6pins port and a 8pins port.
    I read a bit about the concerns on using a 6to8 pins adapter or just plugging the 6 pins cable into the 8pins port of gpu: both methods share the potential issue of the card could drawing more than 75watt from one of the 6pins port on the logic board.
    What if I use this cable: http://www.mykablo.com/pictures/CB-2X6F8M-unit.jpg , It let me connect both the 6pins port on the motherboard to the 8pins port on the GPU, leaving empty the 6pins port on the GPU. It sounds to me safer than the other two methods, but again, noob here.

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Slightly slower, but this is irrelevant if you just flash it.
4. I don't want to start this debate over again. Your idea makes no sense, the card needs power on both ports. Just hook up 2x6-pins like everyone else.

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Slightly slower, but this is irrelevant if you just flash it.
4. I don't want to start this debate over again. Your idea makes no sense, the card needs power on both ports. Just hook up 2x6-pins like everyone else.

thanks for the quick reply!

1. You mean "no worries, you flash it one time and you're good with the upcoming drivers"?

4. I was just pretending to have 6pins + 8pins 680 gpu. My (wrong) guess was: "if the gpu needs 195w, I can just feed the 8pins port with the 2x6pins ports combined (150w total, the rest is taken from the 75w pci-e slot), leaving unplugged the 6pins port on the gpu, and I would be just totally fine, no risk of drawing 75+ w from one single 6pins port.
From your reply I get to assume that every port on the GPU is deputed to feed power to different components of the card. Right?
I apologize in advance, don't want to raise up unnecessary discussions, but I'm just curious to learn a little bit more.

thanks again

cheers

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
thanks for the quick reply!

1. You mean "no worries, you flash it one time and you're good with the upcoming drivers"?

4. I was just pretending to have 6pins + 8pins 680 gpu. My (wrong) guess was: "if the gpu needs 195w, I can just feed the 8pins port with the 2x6pins ports combined (150w total, the rest is taken from the 75w pci-e slot), leaving unplugged the 6pins port on the gpu, and I would be just totally fine, no risk of drawing 75+ w from one single 6pins port.
From your reply I get to assume that every port on the GPU is deputed to feed power to different components of the card. Right?
I apologize in advance, don't want to raise up unnecessary discussions, but I'm just curious to learn a little bit more.

thanks again

cheers

Correct on both points.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Every GTX 680 should work, but I can't confirm this ;)

Thanks. I ended up buying a used 2GB GTX 680. Works fine booting into PC or Mac, but I'm having issues with gaming on the PC. Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but I haven't had much success in browsing PC gaming forums yet.

I see the potential is there for every bit of performance I want, but there are two separate (I think) issues: Most games will average at 60fps or far beyond that, but with frequent dips down to 30-40fps, which makes for a very noticeable hiccup in gameplay. Second, after a few minutes, most games become unplayable at under 10fps.

Looking up the issue seemed to indicate it could be failing hardware or overheating. I installed CPUID HWMonitor, opened a game and played until it slowed down. Tabbed to desktop and the monitor shows all CPU temperatures at around 60 degrees Celsius. Then if I tab back into the game, all is fine until the next time it slows down.

I downloaded a Memory Test ISO, but have yet to figure out how to access the BIOS screen in Windows 8 to boot off a CD and test the RAM.

All of this is running on a dedicated hard drive for my Windows OS that I installed fresh recently and have installed nothing but games. Processor is Xeon W3680 and have 16GB RAM.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.