Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleboi79

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Did you read through the entire 33 pages yet?

I made it halfway through before I couldn't handle people's poor grammar. It's ok though, I learned you can't control the volume via the computer, only the device the audio is going to. I've decided to use a device that can take two line outs and connect them to one set of speakers. It's a shame audio over HDMI on Mac doesn't work like every other device.

Reactions: pullman

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I made it halfway through before I couldn't handle people's poor grammar. It's ok though, I learned you can't control the volume via the computer, only the device the audio is going to. I've decided to use a device that can take two line outs and connect them to one set of speakers. It's a shame audio over HDMI on Mac doesn't work like every other device.

I am not 100% sure if you can use this apps to control the volume via keyboard shortkey

https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

But it's worth to have a try, it's free for 14 days.

zcream

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
I believe this post should be a sticky. I am about to try this on my Sierra Mac Pro 5,1 with 1080 ti.
Would just like to make a post about how I got it to work.
About six months ago I tried installing scripts and disabling all sorts of stuff (all guides from within this thread). Recently I've had to do some Uni work utilising surround sound so decided to try my best to make this work again, I got it working and it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro (2010 firmware), Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Edition, GT 120 for recovery mode stuff, El Capitan 10.11.5, Nvidia driver 346.03.10f02

Here are the steps I went through...

1) I began by removing the 980 Ti and replacing it with the GT120.
2) Restarted into recovery mode.
3) Opened Terminal and disabled SIP using the command "csrutil disable" and checking it worked with the command "csrutil status" (when I did this WavTap, a piece of software I forgot I had installed started to show up again)
4) Boot into El Capitan.
5) Check SIP is disabled by entering "csrutil status" into terminal
6) Instal HDMI Audio 1.1 using instructions given in the download (https://mega.nz/#!b5JRnRRZ!5hc7EyGDCx0vHdY5-nCvi1PagOkOyInupvEFHlZUysY)
7) Restart
8) Check HDMI Audio is installed by entering "kextstat" into Terminal
9) Place Graphics card back into Mac Pro (Note: I only have one graphics card in the mac at one time)
9) Check HDMI audio is working. I had to unplug and plug in the HDMI cable before the audio would show up. Works through display port too.

Here's a screenshot to show it's all working, even 7.1 surround!

5375H5r.png

I hope this helps! Please ask if you have any

Edit: Encoded digital output works through VLC too (DTS, Dolby etc.)

Lano

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Hello all. I am not skilled like you guys but I need URGENT help if possible. I have an early 2009 Mac mini that I want to get audio out of the display port to HDMI. Last night I followed a tutorial and installed Catalina on it. Works fine at the moment. Just still no audio from display port. Posts say it is not supported on the NVIDIA chip set. I need this for a hustle under this COVID.

Here are the specs:

Mac Mini (Early 2009)
macOS Catalina 10:15.4
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Thanks

jelockwood

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Hello all. I am not skilled like you guys but I need URGENT help if possible. I have an early 2009 Mac mini that I want to get audio out of the display port to HDMI. Last night I followed a tutorial and installed Catalina on it. Works fine at the moment. Just still no audio from display port. Posts say it is not supported on the NVIDIA chip set. I need this for a hustle under this COVID.

Here are the specs:

Mac Mini (Early 2009)
macOS Catalina 10:15.4
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Thanks
The Mac mini 2009 is not officially supported for running macOS Catalina, only the 2012 and later models.

Normally a suitable Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter would support audio. (Some older cheaper adapters did not.) However using Catalina puts you completely in unsupported territory.

Reactions: h9826790

Lano

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

I have two mini display to HDMI cables that push audio over thunderbolt on a 27'iMac.
If I go back to El Capitan is there a solution?

N

jelockwood

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

I have two mini display to HDMI cables that push audio over thunderbolt on a 27'iMac.
If I go back to El Capitan is there a solution?

N
The Mac mini 2009 and even El Capitan are both now ancient history and I don't have access to that config to confirm. This thread mainly relates to HDMI audio issues relating to the old Classic Mac Pro and 3rd party PCIe video cards which Apple deliberately sabotaged.

The Mac mini with built-in HDMI or Mini Displayport was not deliberately sabotaged by Apple so I would normally expect a suitable adapter to just work. Whilst I have used Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters I have not used Mini Displayport to HDMI cables.

As an example the following is a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter with Audio support. It only supports 1920x1080p resolution not 4K but your Mac mini is not capable of 4K anyway.

I would therefore expect the above to work on the Mac mini for El Capitan.

dhl

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
This worked great on a 2015 Hackintosh running macOS 10.9.5. Thanks so much!!!:)

tjh1023

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Good news everyone!

Those of you running Mac OS 10.8 or later with non-Apple NVidia or AMD Graphics Cards can now take advantage of HDMI audio output.

You will need to install a supplemental HDMIAudio kernel extension I've put together. This does not require replacing any existing system components.

For those of you that have never installed a kernel extension before, I've bundled a simple install script. Download links are at the bottom of this post.

(ℹ) If you've previously installed the NVidia-only NVAudio extension, you can safely run the installation script for HDMIAudio and it will automatically remove the former.

To install HDMIAudio:
  1. Double click on the DMG to mount it.
  2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
  3. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio
  4. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    ./install.sh
  5. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  6. You may receive a warning about an Unidentified Developer on Mavericks. This is safe to ignore.
  7. Reboot after installation.

To remove the extension:
  1. Boot into Safe Mode, if necessary.
  2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
  3. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/HDMIAudio.kext
  4. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  5. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  6. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  7. Restart your machine.

Please post any suggestions, questions or issues here. :)
Sources are available upon request.

I tried this on my Mac Pro 5,1 with version 1.1 and can not see any thing, everything happened as described but still no hdmi audio. Please help if you can, I have attached screen shots after trying your method. Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.14 PM.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.47 PM.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.19.37 PM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 185

oreo137

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2021
Despite how old this thread is, it's still valuable in 2021! Thank you to the OP and everyone since who've shed light on this process. I spent wayyy too long trying to get to this point, but I finally recovered my HDMI output option for sound via my recently-installed GTX 980 in a Mid 2010 Mac Pro.

I leaned heavily on these two posts (#479 and #480), which have some clear steps that I loosely followed (I'm using a flashed GPU, so I never had to swap/use my old Apple GPU at any point during the process.)

I'll note that, in my System Profile, HDMI does appear under my Audio Devices in the Hardware section. And though HDMIAudio 1.1 appears under Extensions in the Software section, it says it is not loaded, despite the fact that it works and my list of Devices for Sound Output does display HDMI. Should also note that I am using a DP to HDMI adapter, as others have recommended.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
2TB WD Black Internal
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4096 MB (flashed by MVC)

Question for any experts who may still be visiting this thread:

I understand that I need to leave SIP disabled in order to retain my HDMI audio output abilities, but is it possible to only disable certain parts while re-enabling others, or is it all vs. nothing? Reason I ask is that I came across this on the Apple developer forums and wondered what might be possible as it pertains to this issue: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/17452

rdcoulthard

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021
Emintin, Oylsburpduh
I've read this entire thread and attempted to proceed on Mojave by installing HDMIAudio1.1 and editing the HDA hex file with my pci audio device id (Nvidia K5000). So far I've met with failure. My driver shows loaded under PCI in system information, but HDMIAudio shows as not loaded under Software-Extensions. HDMI Audio is absent from Audio devices and system preferences. I tried both DVI ports (with HDMI adapters) and both displayports (with HDMI adapters)

Some stated they got HDMI Audio working on Mojave, but no one specified if it was HDMIAudio1.1 or using Lilu etc.

If anyone is still following this thread AND has HDMI audio working on Mojave, would you please let me know how you did it?

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
After several attempts I finally got audio out through the HDMI port on my GTX 680 (Mac Edition - pc should be the same). The selector for the sound shows the HDMI monitor and audio is now playing through the monitor (TV) speakers. Here’s what I added to the Library sub directories:

Library/Extensions/HDMIAudio.kext
Library/DriverExtensions/GPUBundles/HDMIAudio.kext

Since Catalina doesn’t permit Writes on the system these additions are only able to be applied to the Library directories but should be added in the boot cache automatically and active after a re-boot.
After a re-boot you should see
(underPCI hardware): Name: pci10de,e0a
Type: NVDA,Parent
Driver Installed: Yes

System 10.15.7, cMP 3,1, GTX 680

Remember to select the HDMI device from the System Preference Sounds after you boot up.

The HDMIAudio.kext is available for download on this thread’s previous pages.

rdcoulthard

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021
Emintin, Oylsburpduh
After several attempts I finally got audio out through the HDMI port on my GTX 680 (Mac Edition - pc should be the same). The selector for the sound shows the HDMI monitor and audio is now playing through the monitor (TV) speakers. Here’s what I added to the Library sub directories:

Library/Extensions/HDMIAudio.kext
Library/DriverExtensions/GPUBundles/HDMIAudio.kext

Since Catalina doesn’t permit Writes on the system these additions are only able to be applied to the Library directories but should be added in the boot cache automatically and active after a re-boot.
After a re-boot you should see
(underPCI hardware): Name: pci10de,e0a
Type: NVDA,Parent
Driver Installed: Yes

System 10.15.7, cMP 3,1, GTX 680

Remember to select the HDMI device from the System Preference Sounds after you boot up.

The HDMIAudio.kext is available for download on this thread’s previous pages.
Hi fredd3,
Did you edit any HDA hex files or just put hdmiaudio1.1 in the Library directories? I assume you disabled sip as well? Thanks!

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Good question. I've tried so many different things it's hard to keep track of them all, but I did notice just now that there must have been some modification of the AppleHDA.kext based on different modification dates on the plists and exe files. I'll attach a copy of the one in the extensions directory if it's of any value. And yes I keep the sip disabled since Dosdude1's Catalina seems to run better that way. (you'll need to remove the "a" prefix and .txt suffix on the attachment if you want to try it). BTW, I also had to remove a voodooHDA extension I tried which didn't work.

Attachments

• aAppleHDA.kext.txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Just another thought, if you are inserting any kexts (like AppleHDA.kext) into /System/Library/Extensions on Catalina you'll need to elevate your permissions level to super user since sudo won't allow write permission on the system or sub-directories. I'm not sure if Mohave allows rwe on the system directories.

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Well, after having audio through the HDMI port for 6 days, today I booted once into Windows 10 to install some tax software and when I re-booted into Catalina I had lost all sound options in system preferences, HDMI, Headphone, digital in/out. Anyone have any ideas on how or why this happened (and how to fix this)?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well, after having audio through the HDMI port for 6 days, today I booted once into Windows 10 to install some tax software and when I re-booted into Catalina I had lost all sound options in system preferences, HDMI, Headphone, digital in/out. Anyone have any ideas on how or why this happened (and how to fix this)?
Try SMC / NVRAM reset yet?

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Try SMC / NVRAM reset yet?
SMC/NVRAM didn't help, but after tinkering around for a couple of weeks audio is back to "normal" again. What was needed: create and log into a root account, in terminal, type mount -uw / to make system directories writeable, removed the AppleHDA.kext (which was failing to load) from System/Library/Extensions, used kextbeast to install a new copy of a saved (modified) AppleHDA.kext into Library/Extensions and re-booted normally. The modified kext was the one I posted earlier (#815), and kextbeast is available from tonymacx86.com. All the internal audio options and HDMI are now again selectable in the sounds preference panel. Why AppleHDA.kext stopped loading after I had booted to another OS is still a puzzle. I'll see if it happens again when I boot the Windows drive next time.

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Just as an interesting note, when running xattr on the /Library/Extensions/ directory, all the unsigned kext bundles (AppleHDA and dosdude1s) had the com.apple.quarantine attribute. I suspect this might explain why AppleHDA.kext wouldn't load from the System/Library/Extensions where certificate and notarized checking is more rigorously enforced.

fredd3

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Just a followup, removing AppleHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions and adding it to Library/Extensions seems to have resolved the problem of no sound options in system preferences in Catalina after booting into other OS versions such as Windows 10 or High Sierra. (With the kext in S/L/E it failed to load resulting in missing sound options).

To establish and use a root (super user) account, find /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Directory Utility (unlock with your admin password).
In Directory Utility menu, choose Edit > Enable Root User from the menu bar.
You'll need to assign a password to the root account, re-boot and sign in
as root with that password. Remember to disable root after you are through.
(In Directory Utility, disable the root user by choosing Edit > Disable Root User).
While logged in as root you will have access in terminal to system directories and can
invoke read/write access with the mount -uw / (kextload, kextunload should work).

Last edited:

Calab

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Good news everyone!

Those of you running Mac OS 10.8 or later with non-Apple NVidia or AMD Graphics Cards can now take advantage of HDMI audio output.

You will need to install a supplemental HDMIAudio kernel extension I've put together. This does not require replacing any existing system components.

For those of you that have never installed a kernel extension before, I've bundled a simple install script. Download links are at the bottom of this post.

Please post any suggestions, questions or issues here. :)
Sources are available upon request.

I'm getting an invalid certificate error when I try to download this file. Is it available elsewhere?

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 running Catalina 10.15.5 with an nVidia GTX 680 card that does not detect any HDMI audio output device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.