Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
HDMI audio on my 7970 works in Mojave 10.14 with the older AppleHDA.kext, HDMIaudio1.1.kext and kextbeast. Yes, SIP must be disabled. Look back a page or two for the post. You must put kextbeast and the kext on the desktop for proper installation. Then reboot.

Last edited:

Heinz75

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Hello everyone and a big thanks to the contributions in this thread.

Using Lilu, whatevergreen and apple alc.
I can confirm Audio working with Mojave and GTX 780.

No further Bootarg was needed and sip seems enabled after initial install of Kext and making sure everything was loaded.

Thanks to JP helping me along with the process.

WaTTz

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
HDMI audio on my 7970 works in Mojave 10.14 with the older AppleHDA.kext, HDMIaudio1.1.kext and kextbeast. Yes, SIP must be disabled. Look back a page or two for the post. You must put kextbeast and the kext on the desktop for proper installation. Then reboot.

Works like a charm! Just go to post #700 and presto. Don't forget to disable SIP!

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
I'll stick with the method I found and keep the Lilu process as a backup. The AppleHDA.kext pretty much doesn't change. The date is upgraded to go with the new operating system. I could have used the High Sierra HDA if I wanted.

Isleander

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
[doublepost=1541639451][/doublepost]
Good news everyone!

Those of you running Mac OS 10.8 or later with non-Apple NVidia or AMD Graphics Cards can now take advantage of HDMI audio output.

You will need to install a supplemental HDMIAudio kernel extension I've put together. This does not require replacing any existing system components.

For those of you that have never installed a kernel extension before, I've bundled a simple install script. Download links are at the bottom of this post.

(ℹ) If you've previously installed the NVidia-only NVAudio extension, you can safely run the installation script for HDMIAudio and it will automatically remove the former.

To install HDMIAudio:
  1. Double click on the DMG to mount it.
  2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
  3. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio
  4. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    ./install.sh
  5. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  6. You may receive a warning about an Unidentified Developer on Mavericks. This is safe to ignore.
  7. Reboot after installation.

To remove the extension:
  1. Boot into Safe Mode, if necessary.
  2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
  3. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/HDMIAudio.kext
  4. When prompted, enter your administrator password, then press the Return or Enter key.
  5. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  6. Enter this command, then press the Return or Enter key:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  7. Restart your machine.

Please post any suggestions, questions or issues here. :)
Sources are available upon request.

I recently installed an ATI Sapphire RX 580 (8GB), and discovered that my audio out had stopped functioning. I am running Mojave on a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1

Will the procedure that you mentioned above work on my system and with my graphics card?

Thank you.

Charlee78

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone, Installed HDMIAudio 1,1 on my mac pro 1,1 running el capitan with a HD5770 from apple. Hardware PCI shows audio controller drivers installed but unable to see it in preferences. Am I missing something?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi everyone, Installed HDMIAudio 1,1 on my mac pro 1,1 running el capitan with a HD5770 from apple. Hardware PCI shows audio controller drivers installed but unable to see it in preferences. Am I missing something?

You may need to patch AppleHDAController.kext, and only a specific port on the card can provide HDMI audio.

Charlee78

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
ok, I did try the applealc.kext with the lilu.kext but the result of this is I get no options in preferences and no sound output no matter where I plug he HDMI cable. I reinstalled El Capitan and back to square one... Anyone has an idea or a link for me?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
ok, I did try the applealc.kext with the lilu.kext but the result of this is I get no options in preferences and no sound output no matter where I plug he HDMI cable. I reinstalled El Capitan and back to square one... Anyone has an idea or a link for me?

With SIP disabled?

Charlee78

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Okay, here's where I am right now. I removed HDMIAudio.kext. Installed lilu and appleALC.kext + WhateverGreen kext. Rebooted twice and now I don't have any audio devices. I included screen shots to show you guys:
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.37.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 8.26.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 8.25.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.42.53 AM.png

appleboi79

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Is the original poster still active here? The download link isn't working. I also have a few questions regarding this workaround:

Will this work on a 3,1 running the latest version of El Capitan with a GTX 750 Ti?

Will I be able to adjust system volume via my Apple keyboard media keys? (I read that a user could only change volume on his monitor)

I'm hoping this will allow me to use audio over HDMI. Thanks in advance.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is the original poster still active here? The download link isn't working. I also have a few questions regarding this workaround:

Will this work on a 3,1 running the latest version of El Capitan with a GTX 750 Ti?

Will I be able to adjust system volume via my Apple keyboard media keys? (I read that a user could only change volume on his monitor)

I'm hoping this will allow me to use audio over HDMI. Thanks in advance.

Did you read through the entire 33 pages yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.