Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krh67

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I believe you can just create a bootable installer on an internal HDD from the Install OS X app. Then boot up the installer using chameleon (as a 3,1 Mac). Then proceed with the upgrade as usual.

Thanks Hennesie2000.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I can direct Chameleon to point to the Maverick Installer on boot up. Install Maverick upgrade on Mountain Lion. Then change back Chameleon to point to the new Mountain Lion disk upgraded that was upgraded to Maverick.

I've upgraded my system very easily form 10.8 to 10.8.5 several times with no issues. The Jabbawok system has work flawlessly for me.

Many thanks to you all that have helped.

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
USB Dongle issue with MacPro1,1

right so i had to redo my install and did the Macbook Pro connection trick, formatted my Mac Pro drive to GUID and installed 10.9. then added a START UP Disk partition at the end of the drive of 5GB and worked a treat with no issues. faster and easier to install then MBR method.

Im having only one issue which is a bit a deal breaker for me at this point.
USB ports are working but devices plugged into them aren’t being seen correctly.
I have a “sentinel SuperPro 6.6.0″ dongle but the MacPro 1,1 is seeing the same USB dongle as a “USB UltraPro” so the security drivers won’t work with it and won’t authorise my 3D software to use.

works fine on my Mavericks macbook pro but not the MacPro 1,1 hackintoshed. anyone have this issue ? any solutions ?

oh and i tested as well my EYETV dongle "diversity" its being seen by the macPro as a "win PVR". which isn't so much an issue because it seems to work in any case.

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks Hennesie2000.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I can direct Chameleon to point to the Maverick Installer on boot up. Install Maverick upgrade on Mountain Lion. Then change back Chameleon to point to the new Mountain Lion disk upgraded that was upgraded to Maverick.

I've upgraded my system very easily form 10.8 to 10.8.5 several times with no issues. The Jabbawok system has work flawlessly for me.

Many thanks to you all that have helped.

Before you begin the update to Mavericks insure that your Chameleon install is up to date as well.

----------

Im having only one issue which is a bit a deal breaker for me at this point.
USB ports are working but devices plugged into them aren’t being seen correctly.
I have a “sentinel SuperPro 6.6.0″ dongle but the MacPro 1,1 is seeing the same USB dongle as a “USB UltraPro” so the security drivers won’t work with it and won’t authorise my 3D software to use.

works fine on my Mavericks macbook pro but not the MacPro 1,1 hackintoshed. anyone have this issue ? any solutions ?

Do you have the DSDT.aml file in your Extras folder? If you upgraded from pre-Mountain Lion it could be that you need to reinstall the security drivers to make sure they're loading as 64 bit. On my Mac Pro all of my USB peripherals are being identified exactly as they were before I updated to Mavericks.

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Hi Treksdot,

Thank you for replying. I did a clean install of Mavericks, form scratch and then once everything seemed stable i did a "Migration Assistant" transfer of my cloned Lion install of the MacPro 1,1.

all apps and settings transferred correctly. I did an reinstall of the security drivers and a reboot with no luck.
Im going to install the DSDT.aml which i don't have in the extras folder and see if that helps. Should i have "USB fix" ticked on in chameleon ? i tried it with and without it on and no difference.

thanks

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Right i have checked. and i did have the dsdt.aml in my extras folder.
do i need to link it in some way or does it just need to live in the EXTRAS folder ?

here si an image of the issue. thanks

Attachments

• macpro issue.jpg
    macpro issue.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 169

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Right i have checked. and i did have the dsdt.aml in my extras folder.
do i need to link it in some way or does it just need to live in the EXTRAS folder ?

here si an image of the issue. thanks

If the DSDT has been there the whole time, try removing it from the Extra folder and reboot. The DSDT file isn't always necessary but it can make a hackintosh system run smoother. There are ways of changing device IDs using the DSDT file but it looks fairly involved.

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
If the DSDT has been there the whole time, try removing it from the Extra folder and reboot. The DSDT file isn't always necessary but it can make a hackintosh system run smoother. There are ways of changing device IDs using the DSDT file but it looks fairly involved.

Hennesie2000 thank you for your GUID install guide. the second mac method was awesome. My HD was making hell of noise in the MBR method. plus it didn't seem right running in MBR. Since i went the GUID install way the drive doesn't seem to be working as hard and so stopped being noisy and it even feels a bit faster.

Ill try removing the DSDT and see if that does anything. should i have the USB fix option ticked in chameleon ? i keep reading conflicted reports on that. Im generally getting confused with MacPro Hackintosh settings and PC Hackintosh settings looking for a solution. lucky whenever a do a screw up i boot from my Cloned lion external Disk and just fix it or use my second mac in firewire disk mode to sort it out.

has anybody managed to get MacPro "wake for network access" mode to work ? its the only other issue i've had.

thanks will let you know

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Right so i removed the DSDT and USB fix on and off it its seeing still the same way.
I think it has something to do with the configuration of "Current required" is unknown while on the working Macbook pro is set to "current required: 26"

ill have a check on another computer that i haven't installed the security software on to see what it does.

Attachments

• current dongle.png
    current dongle.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hennesie2000 thank you for your GUID install guide. the second mac method was awesome. My HD was making hell of noise in the MBR method. plus it didn't seem right running in MBR. Since i went the GUID install way the drive doesn't seem to be working as hard and so stopped being noisy and it even feels a bit faster.

Ill try removing the DSDT and see if that does anything. should i have the USB fix option ticked in chameleon ? i keep reading conflicted reports on that. Im generally getting confused with MacPro Hackintosh settings and PC Hackintosh settings looking for a solution. lucky whenever a do a screw up i boot from my Cloned lion external Disk and just fix it or use my second mac in firewire disk mode to sort it out.

has anybody managed to get MacPro "wake for network access" mode to work ? its the only other issue i've had.

thanks will let you know

Those USB fixes are generally for sleep issues where the computer would go to sleep and then immediately wake up because of attached usb devices. For the second issue WoL, I have successfully sent the WoL packet many times to my Mac Pro. Typically I use an app called Fring on my iPhone to send the packet so I can connect through VNC.

----------

Right so i removed the DSDT and USB fix on and off it its seeing still the same way.
I think it has something to do with the configuration of "Current required" is unknown while on the working Macbook pro is set to "current required: 26"

ill have a check on another computer that i haven't installed the security software on to see what it does.

That would suggest that the drivers are not installed.

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Those USB fixes are generally for sleep issues where the computer would go to sleep and then immediately wake up because of attached usb devices. For the second issue WoL, I have successfully sent the WoL packet many times to my Mac Pro. Typically I use an app called Fring on my iPhone to send the packet so I can connect through VNC.

okay ill have a try on the fringe app and test that out. I had my MacPro on sleep after 20min but i could never get my macbook pro to wake it up via screen share. must doing something wrong

----------

That would suggest that the drivers are not installed.

yeah that was my first guess and tried to reinstall my dongle drivers but still no result. the dongle does light up so it is getting current through it. ill try to do a flu uninstall of the drivers and try to install it again. maybe some conflict with another driver. since it was a migration from my Lion install i thought it would just send the files over. when i boot form my external lion it works fine. just bizarre. also the fact my EYETV diversity dongle is being seen as a WINPVR instead of EYETV i found strange.
have you had to do any USB fixing before ? I've read some things about USB kext file appleHDCI.kext being an issue. but don't know if thats just for PCs or for mouton lion only.

----------

oh and i tried the dongle on a mavericks native machine and I'm getting the same report as the Mac Pro for this dongle so it seems it might be the drivers. but since i did install the drivers on the Mac Pro and it still didnt work i thought it must something conflicting or not allowing the drivers to to see the dongle and so the drivers aren't working on the Mac Pro.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
yeah that was my first guess and tried to reinstall my dongle drivers but still no result. the dongle does light up so it is getting current through it. ill try to do a flu uninstall of the drivers and try to install it again. maybe some conflict with another driver. since it was a migration from my Lion install i thought it would just send the files over. when i boot form my external lion it works fine. just bizarre. also the fact my EYETV diversity dongle is being seen as a WINPVR instead of EYETV i found strange.
have you had to do any USB fixing before ? I've read some things about USB kext file appleHDCI.kext being an issue. but don't know if thats just for PCs or for mouton lion only.

----------

oh and i tried the dongle on a mavericks native machine and I'm getting the same report as the Mac Pro for this dongle so it seems it might be the drivers. but since i did install the drivers on the Mac Pro and it still didnt work i thought it must something conflicting or not allowing the drivers to to see the dongle and so the drivers aren't working on the Mac Pro.

I haven't had any need to do any USB fixes. Like Treksdot all of my devices are recognized properly and working fine.

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
mickbehn: Contact SafeNet to see when they expect to roll out support for Mavericks. A quick Google search turned up this: http://sentineldiscussion.safenet-i...river-is-not-working-on-mac-os-10-9-mavericks

thank you guys for helping in this. i read that thread and it looks like it was in issue only with one developer version. and after that version it was working fine, so it looks like they won't be updating the drivers. I can't find any other reports of issues. i can confirm it works in my Macbook Pro mavericks running the same installer as the hacked MacPro.
ill install a virgin 10.9 on another drive i have on the MacPro and try again. install only the drivers once its done to see if the migration assistance messed anything up.
it just doesn't make sense.

----------

Right did a fresh install of Mavericks on the MacPro and its a combination of things. first the Safenet drivers are 100% compatible with Mavericks but do work. the fresh install shows the same "current" missing issue and incorrect name of the usb port but runs the software. which means my migration transfer brought over some 10.6 legacy crap with it and is conflicting with the install of the current drivers.

thanks guys for helping me figure this out. annoying but got there in the end. now i just need to figure out how to uninstall the legacy drivers and current drivers and try to fix it that way. don't want to reinstall from scratch but i guess that is the worse case scenario.
Should i put the DSDT file back or does it make any difference .

thanks

Last edited:

mickbehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Put it back. The audio may not work if it isn't there.

ah yeah that would be nice to have. :) so back it goes.

Figured out the Dongle issue. it was three rouge drivers in my library/framework that where patches to make the dongle work in Lion. so all is right in the world again. and working great.

thanks again guys. don't think i would have figured it out so quickly without your help.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
ah yeah that would be nice to have. :) so back it goes.

Figured out the Dongle issue. it was three rouge drivers in my library/framework that where patches to make the dongle work in Lion. so all is right in the world again. and working great.

thanks again guys. don't think i would have figured it out so quickly without your help.

Glad everything worked out

jacquesd

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
newbie hennesie guide

Hello Hennesie,
i have a mac pro1.1 with an apple 4870 video card, i have followed your guide using a fresh internal sata drive, i have got the 4K sectors error, then i use your addendum to fix it, but now i end with a black screen with only an antislash and an "underscore blinking"
chameleon never launched… i have also tried the batman way with mbr formatted but still no success any hints??

Gidfd79

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
so what's the state of the art for this guys? is there a definitive guide? Sure would love to have the much refined memory management of mavericks on my old imac. :)

----------

btw can I bypass the damn mavericks download and get it on my lion system? I have a mavericks system too, but maybe I ll go with torrents I guess.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hello Hennesie,
i have a mac pro1.1 with an apple 4870 video card, i have followed your guide using a fresh internal sata drive, i have got the 4K sectors error, then i use your addendum to fix it, but now i end with a black screen with only an antislash and an "underscore blinking"
chameleon never launched… i have also tried the batman way with mbr formatted but still no success any hints??

Are you dual booting by any chance?

jacquesd

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
no dual booting only my old lion install with no bootcamp on a separate drive
by the way ididnt see startup Disk at boot only efi is it right?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
no dual booting only my old lion install with no bootcamp on a separate drive
by the way ididnt see startup Disk at boot only efi is it right?

There is no need to hold option if it is properly blessed. Reset your NVRAM and boot back normally into your lion install. Run the bless command again. Then reboot and do not hold option. Just let Chameleon take over and give it 30 seconds or so. The screen will become active and then you will see a flash of some boot test in the upper left and then the spinning slash for a second or two followed but the chameleon boot menu.

jacquesd

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
yes i tried this a few times but after the flashing tests i get stuck to the spinning slash i have waited several minutes lol

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
yes i tried this a few times but after the flashing tests i get stuck to the spinning slash i have waited several minutes lol

Have you tried reinstalling Chameleon? Also try checking to make sure that your Chameleon partition is the active partition. If not, set it using fdisk. Just Google the instructions.

The problem you are having seems to only occur with people who are dual booting Windows and OS X because of a conflict with the Windows MBR and Chameleon.

JTCGiants56

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
I'm a little confused. Is a guide on how to install 10.9 buried somewhere on this thread or is hackerwayne still working on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.