Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 174
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
Also, so I am trying to install Mountain Lion onto a Macbook 4 1 with Lion on it.

From what I've read, I want to use MLPOSTFACTOR and not MacPostFactor, is that correct?

Or would it be better to wait for HackerWayne to release an update to MacPostFactor and then use that, cuz without WIFI it's a no go.

Thanks!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
- Yosemite Support has been intentionally disabled (As its pretty buggy, coming soon tho)
- Legacy Macs (GMA950,X3100) will be limited to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 only.
- X1600 will support both Mavericks and Yosemite in the next update (Est Jan 2015)
- Handoff & Continuity on ALL unsupported Macs in the future update (Est Jan-Feb 2015)[/B]

Incredible work, thanks for all your effort! :D (Can't wait to upgrade my 2006 / X1600 iMac to Yosemite!)

I do have a question on Handoff/Continuity: I have a (Yosemite-supported) 2007 iMac, but that model doesn't support Handoff/Continuity. Will I be able to use MPF to enable them on it? (I haven't seen any other solutions that claim to make it work on the stock Bluetooth 2.1; they all require an upgrade.)

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Also, so I am trying to install Mountain Lion onto a Macbook 4 1 with Lion on it.

From what I've read, I want to use MLPOSTFACTOR and not MacPostFactor, is that correct?

Or would it be better to wait for HackerWayne to release an update to MacPostFactor and then use that, cuz without WIFI it's a no go.

Thanks!

What WiFi problems? On mlpf .3? I have a MB 4,1 w/ no 64 bit kernel. Mlpf is fine.

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
So I downloaded MLPOSTFACTOR 0.3 and ran it, it said it completed and now when I restart I have a forbidden sign then it just turns off.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks!!!!

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
So I downloaded MLPOSTFACTOR 0.3 and ran it, it said it completed and now when I restart I have a forbidden sign then it just turns off.
Not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks!!!!
Under system info, Software, did it say NO for 64 bit kernel extensions?

You ran MLPF before the install to the chip drive & again after (need to be quick too) the install to the system?

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Under system info, Software, did it say NO for 64 bit kernel extensions?
No such thing in the SysProfiler from ML onwards. That is only valid for SL and Lion, since these versions support 32bit or 64bit kernel whereas, for ML (and beyond), it's officially 64bit kernel (and 64bit kexts) only...

As such, with an MLPF ML installation, a quick method is to use Terminal command uname -a. It'll show release i386 for 32bit kernel and x86_64 for 64bit kernel.

Attachments

• MLPF_SysProfiler.jpg
    MLPF_SysProfiler.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Lion_SysProfiler.jpg
    Lion_SysProfiler.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 161
  • SL_SysProfiler.jpg
    SL_SysProfiler.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
No such thing in the SysProfiler from ML onwards. That is only valid for SL and Lion, since these versions support 32bit or 64bit kernel whereas, for ML (and beyond), it's officially 64bit kernel (and 64bit kexts) only...

As such, with an MLPF ML installation, it's best to use Terminal command uname -a. It'll show release i386 for 32bit kernel and x86_64 for 64bit kernel.

Alright, so I'm sure this going to be a dumb question but I have a macbook 4.1 and I really want to get Mountain Lion running properly on it.

I have the right files, but I'm not sure which setup is the right one as there seems to be numerous ones floating around.

Also, MLPostfactor 0.3 or MacPostFactor?

Thanks! I'm gonna reinstall Lion and try again since my first go I just ran MLPOSTFACTOR 0.3 and it led me to a no symbol on boot.

So if anyone could take the time to help a noob out I'd really appreciate it!.

Zach

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
MacPF does not appear to be working properly so just stick to MLPF v0.3 and follow the process that was detailed back in 2012: http://osxhackers.tk/Mountain Lion/.

Needs to be run from Lion 10.7.5 and using a legit ML installation package, not an extracted ESD image.

NB: For ML 10.8.5, choose 10.8.4 in the MLPF list. You'll then manually edit the necessary file to reflect 10.8.5 build later once you're done with all the updates. All is documented and widely discussed at great length in the previous 166pages.

Last edited:

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
MacPF does not appear to be working properly so just stick to MLPF v0.3 and follow the process that was detailed back in 2012: http://osxhackers.tk/Mountain Lion/.

Needs to be run from Lion 10.7.5 and using a legit ML installation package, not an extracted ESD image.

NB: For ML 10.8.5, choose 10.8.4 in the MLPF list. You'll then manually edit the necessary file to reflect 10.8.5 build later once you're done with all the updates. All is documented and widely discussed at great length in the previous 166pages.

So once Macpostfactor is updated and working, is that supposed to be an all in one process without having to edit files and stuff?

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Arf! Who knows? If you prefer to wait for (a fully working) MacPostFactor, arm yourself with patience... It only took 2years so far!

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
Arf! Who knows? If you prefer to wait for (a fully working) MacPostFactor, arm yourself with patience... It only took 2years so far!

I thought everything was working but wifi and blutooth, and that there was supposed to be a patch out to fix those last week?

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
I thought everything was working but wifi and blutooth, and that there was supposed to be a patch out to fix those last week?

No worries, it's coming.

MLForAll confirmed today that WiFi has been fixed, and I helped Wayne with the Bluetooth issue by suppling the working kext from Lion, so it's all going smoothly.

Remember, these guys are doing this out of kindness (donations too, but nothing is required to get the software), so we can't expect them to spend 100% of their time improving on this.

mollygarrett

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
New Macbook Air, No iLife Apps?

I recently purchased a new macbook air from best buy. Technically, it was "open-box" because they had to open the boxes to assure there was no possible water damage, but the computer was turned on, and put right back in the box. When I got it I realized that there were no iLife apps. I went into the app store and downloaded iPhoto, which is now working, but not iMovie. I PURCHASED iMovie from the app store, but it still will not work. When I go to the purchased section of the App store, I see iMovie and it says that the installation is "paused" with no way to resume it..? Now I read some places that when you first open the purchased menu you can "allow" the iLife apps to download and I DID but nothing happened? Also, when you go into the applications folder, there is an iMovie icon, but there is no way to open it no matter how many times I clicked lol... Please Help!!!

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
I recently purchased a new macbook air from best buy. Technically, it was "open-box" because they had to open the boxes to assure there was no possible water damage, but the computer was turned on, and put right back in the box. When I got it I realized that there were no iLife apps. I went into the app store and downloaded iPhoto, which is now working, but not iMovie. I PURCHASED iMovie from the app store, but it still will not work. When I go to the purchased section of the App store, I see iMovie and it says that the installation is "paused" with no way to resume it..? Now I read some places that when you first open the purchased menu you can "allow" the iLife apps to download and I DID but nothing happened? Also, when you go into the applications folder, there is an iMovie icon, but there is no way to open it no matter how many times I clicked lol... Please Help!!!
Hmm... and the link with "installing Mountain Lion on old unsupported Mac" would be... ? :confused:

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
No worries, it's coming.

MLForAll confirmed today that WiFi has been fixed, and I helped Wayne with the Bluetooth issue by suppling the working kext from Lion, so it's all going smoothly.

Remember, these guys are doing this out of kindness (donations too, but nothing is required to get the software), so we can't expect them to spend 100% of their time improving on this.

Has he said when he plans up upload the fixes?

I am doing an install tonight/tomorrow morning and would love if it was available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.