Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Has he said when he plans up upload the fixes?

I am doing an install tonight/tomorrow morning and would love if it was available.

No, but it shouldn't be too long.

I would strongly recommend waiting, as WiFi straight-up won't work if you use MCPF. And if you use MLPF, then upgrading to MCPF once it's fixed may or may not work.

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
No, but it shouldn't be too long.

I would strongly recommend waiting, as WiFi straight-up won't work if you use MCPF. And if you use MLPF, then upgrading to MCPF once it's fixed may or may not work.

Well unfortunately the machine that I'm setting this up on isn't mine, so I'm doing it in the morning. Might have to just go with MLPF or lion if I can't get it to work.

cifer

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
Download Mountain Lion to unsupported Mac 4,1

Hello,

I have purchased Mountain Lion in the Apple store and it appears in my Store App.
However I am not able to download it because it says this app is not compatible with my mac (which is officially true as it is the MacBook 4,1 with the X3100 graphics).

Is there any way to download ml without the use of another mac?
I know for Maverick there is a download enabler (e.g. here https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18361110/) but it seems not to work for mountain lion.

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
Hello,

I have purchased Mountain Lion in the Apple store and it appears in my Store App.
However I am not able to download it because it says this app is not compatible with my mac (which is officially true as it is the MacBook 4,1 with the X3100 graphics).

Is there any way to download ml without the use of another mac?
I know for Maverick there is a download enabler (e.g. here https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18361110/) but it seems not to work for mountain lion.

Quick question, after I'm done and it's all working and set up, I have 3 partitions. Can I delete my lion partition and add it's space to my Mountain Lion partition? So far, it is greyed out.

thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out. So what you want to do is load into the install partition, and do a restore from the small new install to your old install partition. Afterwards just wipe your old partition or save it as a backup in case you ever mess up your install, or for a regular backup location.

Thanks for everyone's help! It's running great with this SSD.

Last edited:

zoom2

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
I have the InstallESD.dmg file and MLPostFactor rejects it. When I copy the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" file from BaseSystem.dmg to applications folder it says that MLPostFactor does not work with 21.7mb Install OS X Mountain Lion file. How can I solve this problem ?

Zacharybinx34

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
I have the InstallESD.dmg file and MLPostFactor rejects it. When I copy the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" file from BaseSystem.dmg to applications folder it says that MLPostFactor does not work with 21.7mb Install OS X Mountain Lion file. How can I solve this problem ?

You have the wrong file. You want the full sized .app install.

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Quick question, after I'm done and it's all working and set up, I have 3 partitions. Can I delete my lion partition and add it's space to my Mountain Lion partition? So far, it is greyed out.

thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out. So what you want to do is load into the install partition, and do a restore from the small new install to your old install partition. Afterwards just wipe your old partition or save it as a backup in case you ever mess up your install, or for a regular backup location.

Thanks for everyone's help! It's running great with this SSD.

CCC it to a backup drive 1st!

archer999

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
Anyone already tried this with Maverick/Yosemite? i want experimenting with this on yosemite on my half working graphic compaq presario v3700

Edit: can't wait until full yosemite support!!

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Anyone already tried this with Maverick/Yosemite? i want experimenting with this on yosemite on my half working graphic compaq presario v3700

Edit: can't wait until full yosemite support!!
Tried what with Mavericks/Yosemite?

MLPF does work on Hackintoshes fitted with Intel GMA 950/X3100. No problem. The installation process is just different. MLPF applies to Mountain Lion only, that's why it's called MLPF (MountainLionPostFactor).

MPF (MacPostFactor) does not/will not provide any support for obsolete Intel GMA/nVidia/ATI chips under Mavericks or Yosemite. You can simply forget about that. As such, no point in trying it out on Hackintoshes with GPUS such as GMA 950/X3100, nVidia 7xxx or ATI 1xxx chips either. In addition, MPF is of no use on Hackintoshes since it's a mere alternative to existing solutions to install those OS on EFI32 Apple Macintosh. No such requirements on Hackintosh. For MLPF, it's a different story because MLPF reverts to 32/64bit DP1 kernel & kexts.

Compaq Presario v3700 is fitted with Intel GMA X3100 so, whilst you can certainly install vanilla Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite on the laptop, you cannot get full graphics support/acceleration. Your system would be lagging, with corrupted/disrupted graphics and some non-working apps.

Edit: see here.

Last edited:

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
I've been spending some time to get Mountain Lion to run on my late 2008 white Macbook. (MacBook 4,1). I tried MacPostFactor, but that fails to produce a USB stick or -drive which boots my old little 'Book. So I decided to try the old MLPostFactor (v0.3). And I'm happy to report that it has been succesful: it now boots Mountain Lion, and everything (except SMB connections to Windows shares, the known issue) works. And performs quite well, as it's equipped with an SSD and 4GB RAM.

I'd be interested in solving the SMB issues but other than that, I'm very pleased. I did have to call Apple support to have them enable Facetime on the MacBook, but other than that, it works surprisingly well. I've spent some time replacing a lot of icons and graphics by those of Yosemite (so that it looks more or less identical to my iMac, which is running 10.10).

The main reason for doing this officially unsupported upgrade is the ability to run iMessage and the improved iCloud support.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I've been spending some time to get Mountain Lion to run on my late 2008 white Macbook. (MacBook 4,1). I tried MacPostFactor, but that fails to produce a USB stick or -drive which boots my old little 'Book. So I decided to try the old MLPostFactor (v0.3). And I'm happy to report that it has been succesful: it now boots Mountain Lion, and everything (except SMB connections to Windows shares, the known issue) works. And performs quite well, as it's equipped with an SSD and 4GB RAM.

I'd be interested in solving the SMB issues but other than that, I'm very pleased. I did have to call Apple support to have them enable Facetime on the MacBook, but other than that, it works surprisingly well. I've spent some time replacing a lot of icons and graphics by those of Yosemite (so that it looks more or less identical to my iMac, which is running 10.10).

The main reason for doing this officially unsupported upgrade is the ability to run iMessage and the improved iCloud support.

can you post how to change the graphics well? Did you change even the dock?

Right now I'm back to Lion due to SMB not working, hope Wayne will release the new version of MPF with wi-fi and update fixes..

Just one question, can you try Pixelmator on your MLPF 10.8 ?

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
can you post how to change the graphics well? Did you change even the dock?

Right now I'm back to Lion due to SMB not working, hope Wayne will release the new version of MPF with wi-fi and update fixes..

Just one question, can you try Pixelmator on your MLPF 10.8 ?

Pixelmator requires Mavericks, so I won't be able to run it on my Macbook. And yes, I've changed almost all graphics, including the dock icons. The dock is still, however, in 3D Mountain Lion style, because I dislike the black 2D dock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 21.35.46.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 21.35.46.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 253

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Pixelmator requires Mavericks, so I won't be able to run it on my Macbook. And yes, I've changed almost all graphics, including the dock icons. The dock is still, however, in 3D Mountain Lion style, because I dislike the black 2D dock.

older versions works even on Lion or Mountain Lion, PM me if you want the link ;)

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
go with snow leopard, much more faster and well supprted ;)

----------

Hope to see the newest version of MPF soon, I really need the ability to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.4-8.5 and the smb support
Mountain lion and lion worked great on my late 2006 iMac. I'm running Ubuntu now because I build android ROMs and its a lot easier to setup.

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Yes. That's true.

After check the console log i found the following error message:

Request from non-root process 'netbiosd' (euid 222) to load /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext - not allowed.

I realised that i need edit the /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist file

So, i made a copy to desktop:
cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist ~/Desktop/

and edit: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and added the following lines:
<key>OSBundleAllowUserLoad</key>
<true/>

after that I restarted os-x and kext can be loaded but i found another error:

smb_gss_negotiate: Can't get gssd port, status 4

Any idea?

I have gotten the kext to load as well, by manipulating version numbers in the Info.plist file. And indeed, this 'Can't get gssd port, status 4' is exactly the same error appearing in my log when trying to connect to an smb share.

I've been experimenting a lot with different versions of the kext, the smbfs.fs and the smb.bundle packages (in /System/Library/Filesystems) but have not yet been able to make a successfull connection to a SMB share.

I'm out of ideas, but open to suggestions. ;)

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I used this original thread before mlpf was even a thing to install ML on my macbook pro 2,2. Worked perfect. I have since than sold that computer and I didnt save the procedure...seems its no longer in this thread either. I now have another unsupported mac, and I have spent the last 2 hours literally and cannot find a download anywhere on the internet that isnt a dead link to MLPF (i did find one for a version of 32bit one but id really rather use the 64bit one), or at least the original procedure somewhere so can figure it out myself. If anyone could be so kind to post a link to download mlpf 64bit, or if anyone saved the original procedure I'd be quite grateful

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Has anyone here ever attempted to build a 32 bit ML kernel from the latest (opensource) sources? I'm starting to believe the SMB issue may be kernel related…

<edit>

Scratch that, I've been trying to compile a 32 bit xnu kernel myself, but any compiled kernel panics immediately at boot.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Even if you could compile the 10.8.5 sources in 32bit, what would you do with the kexts? A 32bit kernel can only load 32bit kexts, not 64bit ones...

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Greetings all,

Just found a bit of a problem for the user on this machine. He's reporting that Facetime isn't working with MLPF (iMac 4,1 with C2D). It has this error message:

The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

Works fine on 10.7.5. Can someone point me in the direction of how to correct this issue?

Thanks!
VV5

Last edited:

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Even if you could compile the 10.8.5 sources in 32bit, what would you do with the kexts? A 32bit kernel can only load 32bit kexts, not 64bit ones...

Since the kernel that MLPF uses on these machines is also 32 bit (the kernel from DP1), I would assume that the same kexts that I've been trying now should still work.

Anyone knows if SMB worked in a full (32 ór 64 bit) DP1 install?

Greetings all,

Just found a bit of a problem for the user on this machine. He's reporting that Facetime isn't working with MLPF (iMac 4,1 with C2D). It has this error message:

The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

Works fine on 10.7.5. Can someone point me in the direction of how to correct this issue?

Thanks!
VV5

Call Apple support: the servers assume an iMac 4,1 model to be unable to run Mountain Lion and block the attempts to log on. Apple support can (and seems to be very willing to) add the machines serial number to the list of supported devices, and then it will work flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.