Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Yet another example of Ive's incompetence. The guy designs without a care in the world about usage. How it feels in the hand or how one interacts with the controls and ports are irrelevant to the guy.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
while true with the Shamesung thing, look at the publicity difference between the two companies products. This is just personal observation but in the last week, all I keep seeing are bendgate videos or post or threads. I think I've seen one article about the Note 4's gap between the screen and frame, big enough to fit a business card in.

Maybe if I was on Android forums bashing their products it would get more hype than I am seeing at the moment.

But my point, I think because Apple is a bigger target with more devices being shipped and sold than some of Samsung's devices, they are constantly bashed. Unfortunately I guess it something that goes with the territory of being able to sell 4 million devices in a single weekend. How many S5's or Note 4's were sold in two days? What about a month. And I said sold, not shipped. Big difference. Inventory sitting in Walmart's warehouse waiting for someone to maybe buy it doesn't count.

Well to be fair, Apple during their press conferences has been dissing Android for a bit. Apple was always throwing stones (read: I'm a Mac) and even referred to Android as ''Europe''.

Samsung counts shipped, because they can ''cheat''. But that's not necessarily cheating. It's just a different way of counting things.

Channel stuffing can help people become more aware of the product. If you know an iPhone will sell within a month of recieving it, you'd be less willing to sell it discounted than something taking up precious inventory.

And technically Apple does shipped to. Look at how many people have exchanged or returned their devices on this forum. Or how many ''scalpers'' have bought 20+ phones just to return them a few days later. Apple just counts once it gets to do your door step. Now Apple does have a retail channel, so you can be sure whatever is old through them is sold. But the same can't be said for an ATT store or Best Buy.

Apple's inventory turnover overall is great. Takes 4-6 weeks to sell out. Samsung is a bit more shady on theirs, but it may not be entirely off. More than one way to kill a horse.

Shipped units still have to take in the factor of ''returns' and the like which is costly. I don't think Samsung is dumb enough to get so many units out for them to just sit there. What they can do is ship a LOT of initial ones, then ship less each time.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
It will never stop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.35.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.35.15 PM.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 58

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
This is funny because my hair has gotten caught in my iPhone 6 about 3 different times. I never thought to mention anything because it sounds crazy but it's a real thing.

I have short hair and I don't know exactly where it's getting caught but I've only noticed this when I talked on the phone in my left hand. I'm pretty sure it's getting caught in the tiny gap around the power button, but I don't know for sure since it happens so quick.

(I didn't experience this one time in the last 2 years with the 5 and 5S)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
There needs to be a committee of smart people with common sense to determine whether or not you can use the gate suffix for a problem. This is ridiculous!

snatchel

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
LoL. This is actually legit... I have a goatee and my 6+ has pulled out a couple of beard hairs. Not that big of a deal though..

luckyjat

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Ouch

iPhone 6 Plus owner here (Silver, if that makes any difference). This phone is absolutely painful to use. Whenever I hold it up to my face it pulls, and very often pulls out my hair (Side burns, facial hair). I called apple about it and the applecare rep laughed before placing me on hold.

Mock this news all you want, it renders the phone quite unusable (and very painful!) to me.

But on the bright side, at least I got an $850 hair cut?

EDIT: A few more details. I have short hair, and as far as facial hair, usually a day or two unshaven. It doesn't catch at the volume buttons -- it happens wherever the glass meets the aluminum. So, because that seam is all around the face of the phone, it catches all over the place. :-(

Last edited:

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
iPhone 6 Plus owner here (Silver, if that makes any difference). This phone is absolutely painful to use. Whenever I hold it up to my face it pulls, and very often pulls out my hair (Side burns, facial hair). I called apple about it and the applecare rep laughed before placing me on hold.

Mock this news all you want, it renders the phone quite unusable (and very painful!) to me.

But on the bright side, at lease I got an $850 hair cut?

Welcome newbie....!!

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
I have short hair, bald fade with hair on top a little longer, still really short hair. My hair is probably a 1 on bottom right now since it has been a week since getting cut. I have sideburns though, and it does indeed get get caught in the phone and gives a nice little pull.

Not sure where it is catching at but man it hurts when it does it, lol.

FYI, my sideburns are the same as the bottom portion of my hair.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012

But on the bright side, at least I got an $850 hair cut?

EDIT: A few more details. I have short hair, and as far as facial hair, usually a day or two unshaven. It doesn't catch at the volume buttons -- it happens wherever the glass meets the aluminum. So, because that seam is all around the face of the phone, it catches all over the place. :-(

Brand new account? I detect a troll. This makes absolutely no sense, you have to be pressing your face on the display for this to occur, and hard, the seams are blocked by the curve of the glass in a way.

luckyjat

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Brand new account? I detect a troll. This makes absolutely no sense, you have to be pressing your face on the display for this to occur, and hard, the seams are blocked by the curve of the glass in a way.

Seriously? That's quite quick of you to judge me for a troll. I assure you I am not. Do I need to prove myself somehow?

Edit: I hold the phone no differently to my face than any of my previous iPhones.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I never encountered my stubble getting pulled or caught in the seams, but I usually use a BT headset for calling. I think this new complaint is complete BS, but I did notice some fine lint got stuck in the bottom of my phone in the seam. I couldn't pull it out, so I used an eraser to get most of it out from the seam. I think it's normal that some hair or lint will get caught in the seams over time, but a case surrounding the edges should prevent it.

crmcm

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
This is real. Until I saw this thread, I thought I was the only one. I usually have short stubble, and I have ripped hair off my face a couple of times. I first noticed it when I was talking on the phone and used the corner of the phone to relieve an itch on my face. I'm left handed fwiw. I've found that I can replicate it easily by holding the phone upside down with the screen against my face, going against the grain of the hair. Obviously, I will avoid putting the phone in this position from now on.

luckyjat

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Manufacturing irregularities are a real thing, and I may have bought a defective unit. I've scheduled an appointment at one of the local apple stores out here in silicon valley to see if I might have a defective unit. It wouldn't be the first time, but whatever. Apple has pretty awesome customer service and hasn't disappointed me before. For my iPhone 6 Plus, when running my finger from the aluminum to the glass it feels mostly smooth, however from the glass to the aluminum it feels quite abrasive and there is definitely a seam. I've never put any of my iPhones in a case since about February 2011 (except a Quad Lock case when cycling to clip onto my bike while doing multi-day tours and weekend workouts). Also, I do not want to put a case on it -- too good-looking of a phone for that. I want it to just work without causing me pain :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.