Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
1) Do you see the same artifact with every movie you encode?
2) Why are you HandBraking a m4v movie into a m4v movie?
3) Does the original m4v movie play OK on your computer?
4) If yes, where did it come from? If purchased from iTunes, it has DRM protection, so you can't use it outside your own iTunes account. That's the whole idea of DRM copy protection.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
According to the original post the OP is going from dvd to m4v. I find it hard to believe that there is pixellation.

Without an activity log from HB posted on pastebin.com and linked here I am very suspect of the ops actual settings.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Are you sure you installed the DCSS-decryption library? You have to download and install that after installing Handbrake in order to decode most (all?) commercial DVDs. I believe without it encodes will appear all pixelated.

More info:
http://www.macgasm.net/2012/02/20/vlc-2-0-breaks-dvd-decryption-in-handbrake/

True but note that if the decss library is not available. on the mac it won't even scan for the previews much less encode. yes, the decss library is the same for *all* dvds. The macgui should prompt you to get it if it cannot find it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
True but note that if the decss library is not available. on the mac it won't even scan for the previews much less encode. yes, the decss library is the same for *all* dvds. The macgui should prompt you to get it if it cannot find it.

Handbrake, in my experience, does prompt you for the module if it's not already installed.

Try clicking on 'Presets', and then 'Update Built-in Presets'. Also try with the 'iPhone & iPod Touch' preset. Don't choose any other options and see if it rips ok. You could also try ripping with the 'Normal' preset and see if it plays on your computer. The 'Universal' preset might be an option too. I've ripped quite a few DVD's with both the older HandBrake and the newer version and never have experienced pixelation issues. It should be easy to track down any issues, but the re-ripping takes time...

Good luck...

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Try doing this :

Get a copy of Make MKV (http://www.makemkv.com/download/)
This will do two things : 1. Get rid of any copy protection. 2. Make a 100% scale MKV.
This might get rid of the pixelation problem.

Then use Handbrake to recode the MKV file to the preset that you need for your iPod. You will have to convert MKV to m4v but Handbrake should do this.

I haven't had to do all this as all I want to do is to make an MKV, so no guarantee that this works.

UPDATE : Just checked in Handbrake and it will open MKV files and convert to MP4 files. Haven't run it as I don't have the pixelation problem.

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
UPDATE : Just checked in Handbrake and it will open MKV files and convert to MP4 files. Haven't run it as I don't have the pixelation problem.
HB has been able to take in mkv files (and many more) for the last four or five years.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
HB has been able to take in mkv files (and many more) for the last four or five years.

Great. Never had to check before. But HB doesn't remove copy protection (AFAIK) and that may well be the source of the OP's pixelation problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.