Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDutchGamer

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
I found out that if I upgrade my Macbook Pro 2011 13" to a Macbook Pro Retina 13" I will get a speed boost of 17%.
Not bad, but also not massive.
I think I'm just going to upgrade my 4GB 1300 mhz ram to 8GB 1600 Mhz ram and buy a 2012 Bluetooth card.
I was thinking about a retina Macbook Pro, but for €1300 I don't think it is worth it.
Especially because you lose the ability to upgrade.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
keep-calm-and-just-take-a-deep-breath.png

It's just one feature...

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Network lightening dongle

Well, to be honest I can live without the upgradability of memory and storage; I typically upgrade those when I buy it and then never really look at them agan until I buy a new machine.

But having a machine that can, without external hardware, only connect to wireless networks is just a non-starter. I need real networking. And I'm not the only one.

I'm not saying Apple can't make laptops that don't have network ports; I'm saying they should continue making laptops that do. And I'm quite certain there's a market for such machines.

I use Apple's dongle to connect hardwire to my network.:)

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
If they make a retina macbook pro with firewire and ethernet (or at the very least with ethernet) I will buy that shi​​t so fast it'll knock their socks off.

They literally can't. It's too thin (I believe, the USB port is basically the maximum size it can be with this design). However, you can purchase adapters. Just use those... I haven't used firewire or ethernet ever in my life. (was too young/not born (don't know when that was) when ethernet became outdated)

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
In the same boat for me but that's the way it goes. I have a 2011 MBP 17" so I know I'm screwed because mine is not even available anymore.

But I love this machine and will ride it out for a while. I never make decisions based solely on speculation.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Somebody sounds salty. OP, you should probably wait until the new OS and firmware updates are released (you know out of the beta testing phase, duh). Before you start with your clueless rants about nothing.

I don't know about everyone else here in these forums. But I'm starting to feel like this place is going down hill. When i first started lurking around here there was nothing but informative genuine techies posting here. Now this place is overrun with fake hipster techies crying about bugs in alphas and betas.:cool: Im all for people branching out and learning new things/ hobbies. But this is getting ridiculous. If your gonna be about this life (tech life) then please do your research. Its bad enough you hipsters have taken over such things as anime, cosplay and even gaming. Not to mention eyeglasses (I'm talking about plastic frames with fake non prescription lenses).

It's because people that would start a thread like this are in these forums. Saying continuity is not enough reason to upgrade. It is THE reason to upgrade. And like you said you get the continuing whiners about the beta bugs and that their 4 year old hardware won't support certain features. I mean this is obvious but people want to keep their stuff for decades while also getting all the newest features. This is simply not possible. I already find it incredible that these moaners can even upgrade, for f....g free. Buy any oem laptop from any of the big manufactures and see what happens after 2 years support wise. Than walk into the apple store with you 4 year old mac and see what happens support wise.
People like to talk crap but actually have no idea about anything.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
If it's made by Apple and you want the latest features, you've got about 2-3 years before it's 'obsolete'. Pay up or GTFO is Apple's attitude.

'Yes, but you get free OS updates!' - I should think so being as I've paid 'Apple Tax' on hardware that can't be upgraded anymore.

Apple love to come up with any excuse to restrict features on older hardware. It's absolutely in their DNA. There will be no support for BT 4.0 LE dongles or anything as crass (or economical) as that. It's not the Apple way.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
USB holds answer

Here it is, an "unsupported" 2010 MBP running a supported BT 4.0 module via USB.

Not as neat as having it built in, but a start.

Only issue currently is that it requires a turn BT off then on then restart to get it to use external USB instead of the one Apple gave it.

Will be easier if internal isn't Broadcom, then probably can just delete kext.

But for less then $100 you can have older Mac play nice with BT and these new features.

We will have these USB sticks available in next few weeks, certainly by the time the Yosemite GM comes out.

Problem solved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.54.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.54.15 AM.png
    269.6 KB · Views: 129

JoaoF

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Here it is, an "unsupported" 2010 MBP running a supported BT 4.0 module via USB.

Not as neat as having it built in, but a start.

Only issue currently is that it requires a turn BT off then on then restart to get it to use external USB instead of the one Apple gave it.

Will be easier if internal isn't Broadcom, then probably can just delete kext.

But for less then $100 you can have older Mac play nice with BT and these new features.

We will have these USB sticks available in next few weeks, certainly by the time the Yosemite GM comes out.

Problem solved.

My Bluetooth Software is still on 4.3.0d49 14130. I have a MBPr, how can i solve this? :confused:

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2014-06-25, às 23.08.24.png
    Captura de ecrã 2014-06-25, às 23.08.24.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 120

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
My Bluetooth Software is still on 4.3.0d49 14130. I have a MBPr, how can i solve this? :confused:

The first time I updated my portable drive he BT sayer like that and it didn't offer the option to update again.

I just reinstalled the original and ran update.

At first i tried to drag the BT frameworks from other working install but that just made a mess.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
They literally can't. It's too thin (I believe, the USB port is basically the maximum size it can be with this design).

I know the port is too large for the current retina macs. I'd gladly take the extra width though, I realise it's a trade-off.

However, you can purchase adapters. Just use those... I haven't used firewire or ethernet ever in my life. (was too young/not born (don't know when that was) when ethernet became outdated)

Whooaah there. Ethernet is in no way outdated. It powers so many things it's ridiculous. Wifi is based on it, just over the air instead of through cabling. And how do you think wifi connects to the actual network?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I know the port is too large for the current retina macs. I'd gladly take the extra width though, I realise it's a trade-off.

Whooaah there. Ethernet is in no way outdated. It powers so many things it's ridiculous. Wifi is based on it, just over the air instead of through cabling. And how do you think wifi connects to the actual network?

Well it's outdated on Macs with Wifi.... That's all I'm saying. I've never needed to use ethernet on a laptop except back when our wireless hub stopped working and i had to plug directly into my desktop to get internet.

gopherhockey

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Every time a new feature is out, people act like they're entitled like it's their human right to get that feature, and yell "planned obsolescence" if their hardware is too old.

To make things worse, most people are so short sighted that they think handoff is only about what comes stock with OS X and iOS. They don't understand what possibilities there are to come.

Clearly not developers and someone that shouldn't be touching beta code.

The other half complain when their 2-3 year old device is now missing features. Grow up, children... tech moves at higher speeds these days. Its like comparing dog years to your grandpa's old PC where you were BETTER off running a 7 year old version of Windows.

You have an Apple product. Keep using it, as it will still be better than any PC for years to come. Or.. sell it, make a good profit, and upgrade. Its not that tough. Otherwise, learn to live in the new now and stop making it all Apple's fault.. you just make yourself look silly.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Your laptop does not have a resolution of 2880 x 1800. So there's that.

1680x1050 has been fine enough for me.

My logic board failed in my 2011 MBP, so I now have a retina thanks to apple CS.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Well it's outdated on Macs with Wifi.... That's all I'm saying. I've never needed to use ethernet on a laptop except back when our wireless hub stopped working and i had to plug directly into my desktop to get internet.

Again though, it isn't. Sure wifi will do fine for surfing on the couch and even casual downloading at home but in the end everyone on wifi (and not just on your network; everyone near you counts too) is sharing the same bandwidth so the total throughput is completely crap. And with internet connections growing faster and faster, that is already becoming a giant problem. 802.11n and 802.11ac use up so much spectrum it's impossible to use it to its full potential in a densely-populated area.

Ethernet itself has no such problem, and it very definitely isn't going away. Wifi will be "outdated" before ethernet is.

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
Ethernet is still so essential that I can't understand the "OMG ethernet is so outdated". For people like my mom, yes, 'OMG ethernet is so outdated', but please get your facts together :D

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about people getting continuity to work simply by replacing the WiFi/Bluetooth module with one from a 2012 model. If that works it should be a much cheaper option than buying a whole new machine just to get that one feature.

Another option would be to buy a second hand 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro as it's got Bluetooth LE, but still has Ethernet, FireWire and an optical disc drive.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
While I agree than Handoff alone isn't enough reason to upgrade, there are other reasons to do-so; various apps have important improvements, so if you use those then Yosemite may be a worthy upgrade all the same. There's the new UI, which personally I think is pretty slick (except the folder icons).

We also don't know a great deal about the under the hood improvements, as Apple hasn't mentioned any; some people are finding their machines run cooler and get better battery life with Yosemite (except when some of the buggier processes are misbehaving of course) so there may be some efficiency improvements behind the scenes that we don't know about, and which may be a compelling reason to update. After all, while Mavericks had some important improvements for battery life, Apple probably had a bunch of other features they couldn't finish in time that may have made the cut for Yosemite, though it seems weird they wouldn't be mentioned somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.