Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Uncle, what do you mean by "clipping"? will these procedures not get the job done?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2011+AirPort-Bluetooth+Card+Replacement/6360

Unfortunately no, the wifi ac/bt4.0 le card is about half an inch longer then the standard card. so the antennas do not reach (in later models they made them longer they just weren't around/used then) so thats why I created a guide and couldn't just use the standard.
Any more questions just ask.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Where can I find this guide?

I pretty much laid it all out in my posts on this thread, theres a link I posted with a little more info from another. If you get the part and have any trouble installing it I'm usually available on here and would be glad to assist aswell.

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I pretty much laid it all out in my posts on this thread, theres a link I posted with a little more info from another. If you get the part and have any trouble installing it I'm usually available on here and would be glad to assist aswell.

Thanks Uncle...can you provide the link to the other thread with the guide? I did see your steps earlier in this thread...but i need more guidance before I start taking my MBA apart, if you get my drift

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks Uncle...can you provide the link to the other thread with the guide? I did see your steps earlier in this thread...but i need more guidance before I start taking my MBA apart, if you get my drift

Do what I did,
-Use the the iFixit guide you posted here to take out your old card.

-Unscrew the two tiny screws holding the motherboard down (the antenna wires are tucked behind (the antenna wires are taped down behind them so you'll have to use a blade and tweezers just be careful, the tape is thin and the wires are thicker so use very little pressure and you'll be fine) them pictured here...
airac4

- Unscrew the hinge the antenna leads to its two larger black screws next to the fan(bottom left pictured here.
Airac1

- I found a close up picture of the hinge clip that so the wire is free and replace the bracket.
bracket

-Now that your antenna wires reach farther tuck them back in, clip them on and you are good to go!
airac4

- now put your lid back on and enjoy, your computer will find everything on its own.

Anymore questions ask, its easier when you have the parts and are doing it, like I said it takes maybe 10 min once the back cover is off

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Ok, thanks. I'll have to revisit later as the pics don't show up here at work.
For anyone who wants extra help once they get the part and they are actually installing it you can just PM me and I can walk people threw individual steps. I had to fly bind on this myself because no one else had really done it so I'm more than happy to help

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
For anyone who wants extra help once they get the part and they are actually installing it you can just PM me and I can walk people threw individual steps. I had to fly bind on this myself because no one else had really done it so I'm more than happy to help

Can you please help me out. I did the mod. Bluetooth and wifi work fine but no handoff in system prefs.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Can you please help me out. I did the mod. Bluetooth and wifi work fine but no handoff in system prefs.

I did an update today that bumped my handoff. Did you do the updates? (mail + thunderbolt) I did those two and it messed with my handoff on one system but not the other.

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I did an update today that bumped my handoff. Did you do the updates? (mail + thunderbolt) I did those two and it messed with my handoff on one system but not the other.

If I updated it was automatic. Did I just do this upgrade for nothing? I really wanted handoff

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
If you NEED it now you could try to get ahold of Developer preview 8. I know its still working with that

I definitely don't need it I just really want it. It's frustrating because I don't know that it actually works, since it never appeared after installing the new chip.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I definitely don't need it I just really want it. It's frustrating because I don't know that it actually works, since it never appeared after installing the new chip.

I was pissed too when it stopped working with the update today. Its just bad luck that you installed today and handoff stopped working TODAY. They definitely haven't patched out unsupported macs with updated cards because my 08 MacPro is running handoff fine so its just a glitch with portables that should be fixed soon.

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I was pissed too when it stopped working with the update today. Its just bad luck that you installed today and handoff stopped working TODAY. They definitely haven't patched out unsupported macs with updated cards because my 08 MacPro is running handoff fine so its just a glitch with portables that should be fixed soon.

Sounds good. By the way, I couldn't get the wires stretched enough when tucked in. Mine are kinda loose back there but it all went back together fine. Also my antenna wires liked to pop off with little force so those have electrical tape over them now

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sounds good. By the way, I couldn't get the wires stretched enough when tucked in. Mine are kinda loose back there but it all went back together fine. Also my antenna wires liked to pop off with little force so those have electrical tape over them now

did you clip the hinge so it was looser or just stretch the wires? When I did mine it was tight but not popping off tight, they stay on their own.

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
did you clip the hinge so it was looser or just stretch the wires? When I did mine it was tight but not popping off tight, they stay on their own.

I did clip the hinge but still didn't make it. I kinda had to smoosh the bottom cover back on but it seems all good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.