Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
GM:

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes
Handoff Supported: No
Instant Hotspot Supported: No

:(

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
GM:

Where are you seeing that?

Is that MBA L2011 specific?

I am NOT buying new hardware just for these features. If Apple decides to leave this out, even though our hardware is perfectly capable, it will just add to my AppleAnger(tm).

stalfos

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Oh well

GM:

Yeah, this is really disappointing. AirDrop to/from iOS 8 doesn't work either. :(

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2014-09-30_at_2_10_35_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2014-09-30_at_2_10_35_PM.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 264

venom466

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Italy
Where are you seeing that?

Is that MBA L2011 specific?

I am NOT buying new hardware just for these features. If Apple decides to leave this out, even though our hardware is perfectly capable, it will just add to my AppleAnger(tm).

Whaaaat? Is the specific on the MBA mid 2011?
I'm just downloading the GM version... #

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I'm running the public beta 4 and I have the upgraded wifi ac chip and am having the same results. UncleSchnitty, any thoughts?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I'm doing the update to gm now to check things out. I'll report back when it's all caught up. fingers crossed

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I must say I am at a bit of a loss here. Handoff is NOT working on 2011 MBA with updated bt+wifi card on GM build. This is strange because my 08 Mac Pro with updated wifi ac/bt 4.0le card with GM build is working perfectly. Im going to keep looking into this but here are my findings so far.

Handoff requirements met:
-Wifi AC
-BT 4.0LE LMP version 0x6
-Apple ID must be the same
-Wifi network must be the same and same channel

The weird part is that the modified Mac Pro is working fine and the modified Air used to work (all be it intermittently) however no longer does. At this point it looks like a software issue, kind of like apple is deliberately locking out older systems because hardware is now up to spec.
Ill keep everyone posted if I find out anything new.

Edit: Airdrop works fine between MacPro, iPhone 6+ and Macbook Air. So that shows the system knows its ac + bt4.0le.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Just installed PB4 on my late 2011 MBA and both Handoff Support & Instant Hotspot say "No".
WTF?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
dokterdok did a lot of hard work and came up with a tutorial that works perfect. I applaud his work. I have tried this and it works 100% Make sure you read his instructions very carefully especially when it says "change numbers manually" I tried to cut and paste and it corrupted my kext. His work is spot on so just take your time and do it word for word and it will work for you. So if you get a chance shoot him a thanks!
This also works for unmodified Macbook Airs!!
Tutorial

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
dokterdok did a lot of hard work and came up with a tutorial that works perfect. I applaud his work. I have tried this and it works 100% Make sure you read his instructions very carefully especially when it says "change numbers manually" I tried to cut and paste and it corrupted my kext. His work is spot on so just take your time and do it word for word and it will work for you. So if you get a chance shoot him a thanks!
Tutorial

UncleSchnitty, this may be a lot to ask but is there some way I could get in touch with you personally to get help with the tutorial? I've been having some trouble with it.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
UncleSchnitty, this may be a lot to ask but is there some way I could get in touch with you personally to get help with the tutorial? I've been having some trouble with it.

Sure, just pm me. I would wait till the official 10.10 is released though or else we may have to do it over again once you update. I have no problem helping though

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I still have this dream that it will just work. I did notice that the keynote speaker used the phrase "latest devices" when talking about handoff. They were careful to add the word "latest" and he stumbled a bit over the phrase and almost didn't use the word.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I still have this dream that it will just work. I did notice that the keynote speaker used the phrase "latest devices" when talking about handoff. They were careful to add the word "latest" and he stumbled a bit over the phrase and almost didn't use the word.
Its really not that hard to do yourself once you get it going. I see why Apple did it, still stinks though

Can you try PM'ing me? I'm having trouble and I got to 25 posts.
I tried no dice yet, if your comfortable posting your email here Ill email you

AirJordan613

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Its really not that hard to do yourself once you get it going. I see why Apple did it, still stinks though

I tried no dice yet, if your comfortable posting your email here Ill email you

I'm going to post it briefly and delete the address shortly after.

kjason33

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Tutorial

Any idea if these instructions still work with the final Yosemite release today and an unmodified Mid-2011 Macbook Air?

johny979

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Spain
I have same model MBA 2011 and running final version Yosemite, and nothing changes

I can´t use airdrop or handsoff
I can´t understand, because the LMP version is 0x6, and I think that´s the correct version for run the 2 options of yosemite

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I have same model MBA 2011 and running final version Yosemite, and nothing changes

I can´t use airdrop or handsoff
I can´t understand, because the LMP version is 0x6, and I think that´s the correct version for run the 2 options of yosemite

Did you do the tutorials correctly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.