Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Sad to say - but its not Adobe's fault that it isn't running well. Flash works better in Windows... because there are open APIs in Windows that 3rd parties can hook into.

Apple has an antitrust case in its very near future coming - I know it will happen, not a matter of if, just when.

Um, no. You need to actually be a monopoly before you can be subject to an antitrust case. Things that Microsoft can't get away with are perfectly permissible if Apple does them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sad to say - but its not Adobe's fault that it isn't running well. Flash works better in Windows... because there are open APIs in Windows that 3rd parties can hook into.

Apple has an antitrust case in its very near future coming - I know it will happen, not a matter of if, just when.

Adobe optimizes the hell out of flash for windows so it doesn't use much processing power, they've never even tried to make it run well in OSX. Thats entirely on Adobe there.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Yet Firefox runs fine for me with Flash on OSX, so it seems that Safari could be bugged maybe? The lack of Flash is a KILLER for today's Web... no other way to put it. Especially for a device whose main aim in being is to be a portal to media.

Leading cause of crashes being Flash - could it be the leading cause because Flash is so prevalent out there on the Web, thus more crashes were reported, vs. something else, that wasn't nearly used so widespread. 1000 crashes in millions of Flash apps vs. 5 crashes in some plugin that may be used on 100 sites, the some plugin is far worse than Flash as far as failure rate goes.

I have fewer Flash related crashes with Firefox than with Safari on my Macbook running OS X, but the crashes are very frequent. But if I boot into Windows XP on that same machine, the number of Flash related crashes drops to about 1/100 of the number I experience under OS X. Apple and Adobe need to stop playing the blame game and fix the damn problem.

anjonjp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Apple could do more..

I believe that missing content has much more to do with providers wanting to rape customers across the world for content than it does with apple not trying to establish deals.

Yes, I agree with you on that and do understand that and actually pointed that out myself in my comment. I just feel that Apple has been premature in launching this without finalising such things. Overall, this seems like a rushed job launch and the general negative feedback that is being seen World wide is I think reflecting this. Apple could be leveraging its position better in non-US countries but I feel that their effort is somewhat lacking in terms of overseas markets. I am at least grateful that they are offering us the hardware, but its commercial viability is severely diminished (IMHO) without the full lack of contents on a product that is attempting to fill a void. Without the iBooks and movie content, my iPod Touch will suffice for the 'entertainment aspects' and my 13" MacBook will do the rest. The difference in weight/size between the iPad and the MacBook is not so vast as to warrant something that can do less than it. The only thing that remains in its favour in such a market as ours is its quick on/off function, but since Macs are quick anyway...not even the difference here is enough to justify 40,000JPY+....

Still, the sale launch is still somewhat in the future and I should perhaps wait and see.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009

puppyflightclub

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
california
For all the people that are speaking terribly of the iPad, back in 2001 when the iPod 1st came out receive some of the same negative comments and worse, and we know how that turned out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/ :apple:

and this article shows apples objectives just like they have accomplished with the iphone
http://gizmodo.com/5458531/the-ipad-is-the-gadget-we-never-knew-we-needed

thank you for showing me that. I was apparently in 7th grade when that came out, had no knowledge of any of these kind of events.

so is their possibly any change for the iPad since...iPod didnt look like this?

*edit* guess it did, never seen this model

screenshot20100128at838.png

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Adobe optimizes the hell out of flash for windows so it doesn't use much processing power, they've never even tried to make it run well in OSX. Thats entirely on Adobe there.

http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2008/10/benchmarking-flash-player-10.ars

Not true. Adobe has worked on optimizing Flash for OSX... but there will only be so much they can do without lower level access to the OS/system.
The ball has been in Apple's court for some time. The same goes for h.264/video playback acceleration. The year of HD was 2005. :rolleyes:

Right. How come silverlight doesn't seem to have these problems?
SilverLight for the most part is being used for streaming video. Not that you won't find the occasional Microsoft page that needs it for animations.

For all the people that are speaking terribly of the iPad, back in 2001 when the iPod 1st came out receive some of the same negative comments and worse, and we know how that turned out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/ :apple:

and this article shows apples objectives just like they have accomplished with the iphone
http://gizmodo.com/5458531/the-ipad-is-the-gadget-we-never-knew-we-needed
The response is to be expected given what Apple has accomplished with it's infrastructure. Then again this might be the paid iPad Beta. :rolleyes:

Once again the BIG iPhone OS will hopefully change into the iPad OS instead of this tacked on feeling.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
I am also wondering who/why we need this kind of device? It is a serious question not only raised by us but also by the media(engadget, cnet, techcrunch). I just wonder how this device will fit into the market if it cannot be used for any real productive means.
I'm coming very late into this discussion and haven't read everything said after this, but when I saw this comment, my first thought was...wow. Really? You REALLY saw no real productive use for it? :eek: REALLY? :confused:

Is there some weird lack of imagination here? Because the minute I saw that this was going to be running apps off the app store--and the minute I saw the new iWork, all KINDS of real productive uses flashed to mind. Imagine doctors in a hospital carrying iPads. iWorks has that phenomenal chart system. All patients charts there. You can't flip through charts and enter in new data (doctors can't haul laptops around to do that!). And think of all the medical apps that already exist that could be put on the iPad--bigger, better. Doctors could email information to each other. All information shared, updated, calendar for surgeries, X-rays, test results....

Scientists. They could all have ipads in the lab. Again, charts, science apps., mathematical formulas. A laptop needs to be set down somewhere and opened. But this allows you to enter in data quickly, pass it around hand to hand. Businessmen, obviously, can use this for presentations and the rest. It's exactly what they wanted that the Macbook Air almost, but didn't quite give them--something ultra travel sized that'll entertain them as they travel but have all they need for the meeting.

Running a sports team? We saw how that could be used with a kid's soccer team, but why not professional sports teams? Plumbers, electricians, construction workers can have it to calculate estimates, check if they've got parts, order parts if they don't have them and, if the app exists, draw, design, or display what needs to be done to their clients there and then. Small businesses can use this for inventory....Students could keep all their textbooks on it. Year end, they don't need to sell back those textbooks. It puts an end to stuffing books in lockers or hauling them around in a backpack like turtle. With bluetooth keyboard, they can set it up and type in notes as on a "laptop" but it weighs less, cost less.

I'll grant that Apple is to blame for this in how they presented the device, but really, are games, movies and music ALL you can see this used for? Think about what apps are out there for science, engineering, architecture, business and suddenly this devise can fulfill all kinds of needs for all kinds of markets.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
SilverLight for the most part is being used for streaming video. Not that you won't find the occasional Microsoft page that needs it for animations.

Yes, and it is substantially more efficient both at animation and streaming video than is flash.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Scientists. They could all have ipads in the lab. Again, charts, science apps., mathematical formulas. A laptop needs to be set down somewhere and opened. But this allows you to enter in data quickly, pass it around hand to hand. Businessmen, obviously, can use this for presentations and the rest. It's exactly what they wanted that the Macbook Air almost, but didn't quite give them--something ultra travel sized that'll entertain them as they travel but have all they need for the meeting.

Scientists in a lab use computers with dataloggers and other external hardware that isn't available for an ipad. They also prefer industrial equipment that can withstand lab hazards. They often wear gloves, which won't work with iPad without an external keyboard, in which case what's the advantage? They often generate many tens of gB of data with their experiments, which is more than iPad can handle. They frequently need special software which isn't available on iPad. etc.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Scientists in a lab use computers with dataloggers and other external hardware that isn't available for an ipad. They also prefer industrial equipment that can withstand lab hazards. They often wear gloves, which won't work with iPad without an external keyboard, in which case what's the advantage? They often generate many tens of gB of data with their experiments, which is more than iPad can handle. They frequently need special software which isn't available on iPad. etc.
Does that include physicists? Scientists that explore nature like biologists? Geologists? Again...why is everyone being so friggin' narrow in their vision of who might use this thing? And no, the iPad probably can't do all the data calculations--but it can be used for gathering data, sending data, carrying the results of data. Having ebooks on hand on subjects that so you can flip to pages on information that you want....

The list goes on. This is the point that no one seems to get. It's the same as on the iPhone. All the iPad needs is the right app and it can be of use to people of all stripes and jobs. Just because you can't imagine an app that would be of use to the scientists with the gloves and the industrial computers doesn't mean that one of them can't find a use for it--and create an app that might change the way they do things.

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
OK, I hope you're right.

<edit> However, PCMag says this: "There's no multitasking in the OS at all, and not even multiple active web pages in Safari... </edit>

Question: I have 8 Safari pages open right now (shrunk down, of course, as I flip between them) on iPhone 3Gs non-JB (8 is about the max as it gets very sluggish after that).

So, is the above PCMag quote, "...and not even multiple active web pages in Safari..." saying that the iPad will only let you have ONE webpage open in Safari at a time?

If so, that's pretty bad. I leave multiple Safari pages open all the time on iPhone to remind myself to go read this or that, or do this or that, etc.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Exactly, buddy...this is a REVOLUTIONARY product even when the usual "pundits" fail to see it...my credit card is READY TO GO, especially knowing that iWork is fully ported, a keyboard dock will be available and my old iBook G3 needs replacement.

Camera missing? Yeah, but not a deal breaker.
Multitasking? Can come later.
"Low" resolution for video output? Who cares about it when every projection out there is made on less-than-HD displays for less-than-HD content?

Having just watched the keynote, I can only say again:

THANK YOU FOR ANOTHER WONDERFUL PRODUCT, SJ! AND AT $500, IT'S SIMPLY A MASSACRE TO THE COPYCATS.

MS IS DEAD. AND SO IS DELL.
Um, you forgot the [/sarcasm off] tag.

You were joking, right?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Question: I have 8 Safari pages open right now (shrunk down, of course, as I flip between them) on iPhone 3Gs non-JB (8 is about the max as it gets very sluggish after that).

So, is the above PCMag quote, "...and not even multiple active web pages in Safari..." saying that the iPad will only let you have ONE webpage open in Safari at a time?

If so, that's pretty bad. I leave multiple Safari pages open all the time on iPhone to remind myself to go read this or that, or do this or that, etc.

Its just like on the iphone, they are open, but they aren't actively refreshing other than whichever one your looking at.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
The user experience is a huge part of this.

I must say, I'm not surprised at all to the reaction here and on most tech blogs. When you hype something up beyond all reason, disappointment is a sure fire result.

But I'll predict this: when the device actually finds it's way into the Apple stores for demo purposes, a LOT of people are going to see things a little differently. Even from a distance watching others using it, I can tell that the responsiveness, the instant on, the massive screen (compared to an iPhone) and the new UI tweaks will make people seriously find reasons to want this thing.

For me personally, my day job has me driving Keynote most of the time. I have a Macbook that I could use to offload Keynote presentations and flip through them on the subway on the way home. The (relative) cumbersome nature of the laptop (getting it out, turning it on, waiting for it to boot, loading keynote, loading presentation) takes the ease out of just wanting to flip through a presentation. With this device it will be out, booted, and running keynote in less than ten seconds. All with a form factor that's like a magazine.

To me, the easier something is to do, the more fun it is to do. Apple seems to be taking a crack at making devices that fit into the lifestyle that the device is suited for. It's a 'road' device, and does 'road' stuff (word processing, email, web, music, movies, books). It doesn't do Final Cut, Aperture, Logic etc. When I take my Macbook with me, it's way overpowered for the things I want to do in the situations I am in, and it doesn't justify it's weight/form factor. Therefore I am more likely to leave it at home.

The iPhone is a great device - but you can't really do 'productivity' on it in a meaningful way. I love my iPhone, and it's with me all the time - but I wouldn't even attempt to write an actual letter on it. It won't run keynote...and those are apps we know about today.

What happens when seriously talented developers start creating apps for this thing? I'm excited to see what sort of amazing apps come out that take advantage of the real estate this device offers. Things that couldn't be done on the iPhone *will* be done on the iPad.

Would I like it to multitask? Sure, I suppose. I'd wager it's coming at some point - but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it never happened. I find it rather odd that on every blog/article I see that talks about the lack of multitasking, the example of running Pandora and *whatever* at the same time is used. Really? Don't like the built-in music app? It's pretty capable of..you know..playing music. You can run it and *whatever* at the same time.

This is history repeating itself in my eyes. The vitriol on this forum over the original iPod was remarkable to look at now. Yeah, there were devices that cost less, held more songs and had been to market long before the original iPod. So why did the iPod take off?

The interface. The user experience. The integration.

And that's what this device is all about.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
After watching the keynote, I'm seriously impressed with the potential this device has. Its not in the hardware, its ALL in the devs hands, and I think we will be wowed.

The Nova demo wowed me, not because of the game (which does seem to translate onto a bigger device QUITE well) but because of the little things they had thought up. Being able to put the controls wherever you find them to be comfortable? Simple, but genius.

I can't wait to see what imaginative devs will come up with. :)

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I agree :)

The fact is, whether we like it or not, iPad will sell. Why? Because common consumers, who are not geeks like us, will buy them because it is easy to use. I can totally see older consumers who were put off by the traditional computers buying iPad.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Good points. People on these forums nag too much about what the ipad does not have. I am wondering why not stick to your macbook pro and stop nagging so much. The potential of this device is unlimited. Most geeks on here are unimagintive and lack the vision of steve jobs :D

I'm coming very late into this discussion and haven't read everything said after this, but when I saw this comment, my first thought was...wow. Really? You REALLY saw no real productive use for it? :eek: REALLY? :confused:

Is there some weird lack of imagination here? Because the minute I saw that this was going to be running apps off the app store--and the minute I saw the new iWork, all KINDS of real productive uses flashed to mind. Imagine doctors in a hospital carrying iPads. iWorks has that phenomenal chart system. All patients charts there. You can't flip through charts and enter in new data (doctors can't haul laptops around to do that!). And think of all the medical apps that already exist that could be put on the iPad--bigger, better. Doctors could email information to each other. All information shared, updated, calendar for surgeries, X-rays, test results....

Running a sports team? We saw how that could be used with a kid's soccer team, but why not professional sports teams? Plumbers, electricians, construction workers can have it to calculate estimates, check if they've got parts, order parts if they don't have them and, if the app exists, draw, design, or display what needs to be done to their clients there and then. Small businesses can use this for inventory....Students could keep all their textbooks on it. Year end, they don't need to sell back those textbooks. It puts an end to stuffing books in lockers or hauling them around in a backpack like turtle. With bluetooth keyboard, they can set it up and type in notes as on a "laptop" but it weighs less, cost less.

I'll grant that Apple is to blame for this in how they presented the device, but really, are games, movies and music ALL you can see this used for? Think about what apps are out there for science, engineering, architecture, business and suddenly this devise can fulfill all kinds of needs for all kinds of markets.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
This is the best explanation I ever saw:
http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash

Does it suck that we can't see Hulu and countless other video sites? yeah. but after reading that article, I really see Apple's viewpoint.

I think 5 years from now Flash will be nothing more than a middleware solution for publishing to Mac, PC, and various handhelds.

Such a great article on the whole reason Flash is weakly supported by Apple.

So if you a iPhone/iPad/Touch owner, you wish that Hulu supported quicktime rather than flash.

BTW, many porn sites also use flash to display their movies. However, since the iPhone came out, many are starting to offer their movies in quicktime format.

One example is http://m.*******.com/ Keep in mind that the pornography industry has often set the technology standards in media formats for some time. If porn is going quicktime, then many other companies will follow and we will stop hearing about the "lack of flash".

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
After reading all 28 pages & every post of this thread the past 2 days (plus a few blogs on the subject), I have 2 more questions which I have not seen anyone else comment on:

1. Wondering if iPad will have more than 11 homescreens, like iPhone only has 11?

2. I am one of those, "What! No camera?!!" people who was hoping for a "glorified iPhone," as someone else said, lol. The non-camera people keep saying, "What do you need a camera for?" or "Are you going to hold that big iPad up to take pictures?" etc etc.

No. I've only taken 1 picture of a human-being with iPhone since I got it in July (my Dad). BUT I would not get an iPad without a camera because I use the one on iPhone ***ALL THE TIME*** for zapping instant pics of:
1. webpages, or parts thereof;
2. app descriptions (where copy/paste does NOT work);
3. other apps/functions where copy/paste does Not work;
4. pics & graphics from the web/Safari I want to save or share;
5. zap pics of my homescreens as a backup reminder of which apps I want where (in case they go haywire when syncing, etc.)

I LOVE being able to zap the screen anytime & I do it a LOT. It's one of my fav features on iPhone.

OR, am I a total tech ditz & the "screen zapper" is not the same as the iPhone camera itself? If the ability to zap a pic of a webpage, screen, etc. is a separate feature from the camera, then that would be great & I could live without the camera. But if I cannot zap pics of apps, screens, webpages, etc. without the built-in-camera, then the camera-less iPad is a no-go for me (& I was really looking forward to the unveiling because I did want a larger "glorified iPhone" as I barely use the iBook any more since getting the iPhone six months ago... Love my iPhone but would love a larger model, too! :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
OR, am I a total tech ditz & the "screen zapper" is not the same as the iPhone camera itself? If the ability to zap a pic of a webpage, screen, etc. is a separate feature from the camera, then that would be great & I could live without the camera. But if I cannot zap pics of apps, screens, webpages, etc. without the built-in-camera, then the camera-less iPad is a no-go for me (& I was really looking forward to the unveiling because I did want a larger "glorified iPhone" as I barely use the iBook any more since getting the iPhone six months ago... Love my iPhone but would love a larger model, too! :)

I use the screenshot feature on my touch all the time, its not reliant on a camera. That said, a camera on the ipad front & back would have opened up HUGE potential for developers. This is one thing I realistically see being added in rev b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.