Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
I am removing my prior iPad/iPhone YouTube question/comment because if you remove the word "user" from your YouTube channel URL, you can get the page in a format that does work on iPhone (so I'm guessing it will work on iPad as well, which was my original question).

Dr.Buzz

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
LCD on iPad Vs. Kindle

Not a lot of discussion regarding the look of books on the ipad. Does the lack of bright colors in the interface when a book is up on the ipad make it easier to read, even in low light situations? I know the only reason my laptop is hard to read is that most backgrounds are blazing white. How does the experience compare to all the stand alone ereaders? IF this device works well in that regard and is a full computer more or less, then it is the best of all net books IMO.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Serious questions: Can humans detect the difference between the various resolutions on a screen that small? Or are we just tech wanking here?
Depends on the distance from eye to iPad and eye's acuity and one's ability to fast visual analysis of picture. Movie/video pros notice more than average.

Again, your comment is irrelevant. The iPad is already HD-capable with 720p resolution; heck, even my widescreen Bravia is limited to that, so what's the fuss?
Another point: 4:3 aspect ratio makes PERFECT sense in a device that does NOT exist only for videos.
Funny that this magical 2010 product relies on analog video output. State of the art!
I guess that people who travel a lot would like to hook it to hdtv at their hotel rooms. etc. At least if there's more than one who would like to watch.
iPhone/iTouch's AR is 3:2, which would also be better for iPad. More difference in dimensions would help when you need hight or width to the screen depending on app.
I bet that iPad rev2 will have 1280x640 rez and miniDP. Somehow they have to sell it again and again...

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
THANK YOU. This seems to be the most common complaint. So ridiculous.

is having a camera really ridiculous?

i suppose it was ridiculous to put a camera on the nano too right?
iphone camera? useless? why did they upgrade it then?
FFS even my Nintendo DSi has 2 cameras.

do you realize how many people would love to have a video chat on a portable tablet? i video chat all the time on my laptops.

sidelarge

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Not a lot of discussion regarding the look of books on the ipad. Does the lack of bright colors in the interface when a book is up on the ipad make it easier to read, even in low light situations? I know the only reason my laptop is hard to read is that most backgrounds are blazing white. How does the experience compare to all the stand alone ereaders? IF this device works well in that regard and is a full computer more or less, then it is the best of all net books IMO.

The Kindle should be far better for your eyes. That's really the whole point of that device. If mere LCD could laugh at the face of it, there would be no point of the existence of the Kindle.

Having said that, even the Kindle is not very good if you read for more than a certain amount of time. ANY e-book readers are still at the stage where casual/bits-here-and-bits-there reading is the main purpose.

And for that purpose, I would not think the difference between the Kindle and any other LCD-based device is that crucial in the grand scheme of things anyway. Unless you dare to read novels on your device, I would say you should go with iPad if you are keen on getting that kind of a device (personally I'm not). They all suck one way or another, and I wouldn't recommend going all digital just yet when it comes to books if you ask me anyway. E-books aren't quite revolutionizing the world for a reason.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
The Kindle should be far better for your eyes. That's really the whole point of that device. If mere LCD could laugh at the face of it, there would be no point of the existence of the Kindle.

Having said that, even the Kindle is not very good if you read for more than a certain amount of time. ANY e-book readers are still at the stage where casual/bits-here-and-bits-there reading is the main purpose.

And for that purpose, I would not think the difference between the Kindle and any other LCD-based device is that crucial in the grand scheme of things anyway. Unless you dare to read novels on your device, I would say you should go with iPad if you are keen on getting that kind of a device (personally I'm not). They all suck one way or another, and I wouldn't recommend going all digital just yet when it comes to books if you ask me anyway. E-books aren't quite revolutionizing the world for a reason.

To compound matters regarding e-material, according to Jakob Nielson, it has been determined that reading from a monitor is about 25 percent slower than reading from paper.

More work for the eyes, in terms of distortion, I suppose - no wonder audiobooks have been rapidly increasing in popularity. :)

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed. Perhaps 4.0 fixes those issues, but it seems un-Apple-ish to release this thing in March-April and then give it a major software update only a few months later. If that's their plan, why show it off now?

Yeah and thats why I liked this event even more it means the iPhone is getting nothing useful this year most likely except probably the iBook store app icon in order to take up more of our screens with useless icons we can't remove.

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

The reason why e-ink is popular on e-reader devices is because it is a lot easier on the eyes and it uses so little power you can read for a week without charging. The problem of course is that it is a grayscale device so it is only useful for books without color.

Apple's solution was to use a giant LCD screen to give it color but this is the same as reading your book on a MacBook except you don't have a keyboard in the way. It may be useful for textbooks but it would have been more useful if it had a stylus so you can write notes in those textbooks. For people who like to read novels the cheaper dedicated ebook readers will be more useful for that in the short term. Who knows where we will be in the future e-ink is working on colors screens and if its done well enough that might win over the iPad just because of the long battery life and general lightness of the devices and the ease on your eyes.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Here is a question for everybody.

If you are in the middle of nowhere and you are typing something in Pages and have no way to plug your device in for the next 24 hours. Would a netbook be better to have with you or would an iPad be better to have with you? Even if the battery is 70% of what they claim it is, I'd rather have an iPad. If it can do music for anywhere near as much as is claimed for music, I think I'd rather have an iPad.

Not too mention that Netbooks would do a lot better if they had a more simplified OS. like the iPhone OS. While the whole approval process for apps isn't great, there are things that could be worse for users than that.

ecume

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2003
perfect for A/V control applications

as was pointed out earlier in this thread, the iPad will be simply awesome for A/V controls. I've already got a version of mrmr (http://poly.share.dj/projects/#mrmr), the free, open-source OSC app running in the iPad emulator and it looks great. Can't wait for the actual devices to ship!

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
screenshot20100128at620.png

this is supposedly the HP Slate powerered my Microsoft. Can anyone explain how this looks like it will outperform the iPad?

Mhm, because its running a full, uncrippled operating system? Even freaking windoze is better than iphone OS when it comes to using such a big device. iphone OS is great, but is originally designed for smaller devices. If you use it on an ipad, kinda defeats the purpose of its existence

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
. iphone OS is great, but is originally designed for smaller devices. If you use it on an ipad, kinda defeats the purpose of its existence

No, it wasn't designed for smaller devices. It was designed for touch devices. As has been often reported, the tablet was designed first, and along the way they decided it made most sense to do a phone and sell it first.

Size of the screen has nothing to do with it. "Windoze" was designed for keyboard and mouse. It's a lot easier to adapt an OS from one screen size to another than to adapt it to an entirely different input paradigm.

hss1

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
It needs

Mhm, because its running a full, uncrippled operating system? Even freaking windoze is better than iphone OS when it comes to using such a big device. iphone OS is great, but is originally designed for smaller devices. If you use it on an ipad, kinda defeats the purpose of its existence

==========================

And because its running a desktop OS you need antivirus software, spyware protection and have to do the regular house keeping on it defragmentation, run antivirus checks, run spyware checks etc

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002

And because its running a desktop OS you need antivirus software, spyware protection and have to do the regular house keeping on it defragmentation, run antivirus checks, run spyware checks etc

In addition, it's lethargic, clunky, convoluted, and somewhat less responsive.

I've used them - not interested.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
why buy ipad when you can get this..

Here's the pitch: a 10-inch, almost-pocketable computer running Snow Leopard, the latest, greatest version of OS X. It costs just $300. Sound good? Here's how to make your own.

http://gizmodo.com/5389166/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-10v-into-the-ultimate-snow-leopard-netbook

already have a dell mini running osx but not snow leopard

lol you havent used windows 7 have you? i run windows 7 on 2 of my machines and ive never had to run a spyware check nor do i have antispyware software on any of my machines including the winxp, its usually your own dumb fault for clicking on spam email links.

either way, macs arent immune to viruses either, we've gone over this already, windows is more secure when it comes down to certain exploits. OSX has nothing in place to stop attacks, (talking vista and above)

either way, when osx gets more market share you will see what happens, firefox already has a larger market share than IE and its being attacked from all directions.

also you dont have to pay for an antivirus, microsofts own Security Essentials program is free and is one of the best. (also it only uses 3-4MB of your 4-8GB of ram, its no resource hog by any means)

In addition, it's lethargic, clunky, convoluted, and somewhat less responsive.

I've used them - not interested.

whats less responsive?

slow flash memory like the type found in iphones/itouch or an SSD capable of 260MB/s transfer or a spindle drive capable of 140MB/s? (IE Netbook with 2.5" regular laptop SSD or even spindle)
256-512MB ram (ipad)? or 2-8GB of ram like in netbooks?
1GHz cpu A4 cpu? or a 64bit dual core quad threaded processor? (Atom N330) or a 64bit Dual core AMD X2 Neo?
a built in graphics processor or a dedicated graphics Nvidia chip?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
whats less responsive?

slow flash memory like the type found in iphones/itouch or an SSD capable of 260MB/s transfer or a spindle drive capable of 140MB/s? (IE Netbook with 2.5" regular laptop SSD or even spindle)
256-512MB ram (ipad)? or 2-8GB of ram like in netbooks?
1GHz cpu A4 cpu? or a 64bit dual core quad threaded processor? (Atom N330) or a 64bit Dual core AMD X2 Neo?
a built in graphics processor or a dedicated graphics Nvidia chip?

Well then, one might surmise it was the OS sapping the robustness out of all of those resources - specs notwithstanding.

bluefox9er

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
Game-changer. Period. End of story.

Developers will cream themselves over this. Apps will be much more powerful, intuitive, and capable.

It's missing a couple of things. Like every hit Apple product. Butt that's not what sells it. It's the overall experience.

We're looking at the future here. It's getting rave reviews from the industry. And the price is right, and not only that, these will be even cheaper in due course, a la iPhone.

Tablet-makers, start your photocopiers. Apple just hit another one out of the park.

lol. simply hillarious!!!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
So where, in real life, has a single mac user every gotten a virus?

I on one right now!

boot up in the morning, somethings in my trash, open it, nothing there, "empty trash" "preparing to empty trash- 4 items to be deleted… 30 seconds later.

place "4" plugins from an old drive in trash (for a test mind you) empty trash, "Preparing to empty trash- 356 items to be deleted… " :eek:

I tried to dump a back up disk from work with nothing more than a few folder containing print drivers, The message in the status bar read "119, 274 items to be deleted…" it took from 5:20 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. the next day to allow the trash to empty.

That answer your question?

p.s. iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, OS 10.5.8

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I on one right now!

boot up in the morning, somethings in my trash, open it, nothing there, "empty trash" "preparing to empty trash- 4 items to be deleted… 30 seconds later.

place "4" plugins from an old drive in trash (for a test mind you) empty trash, "Preparing to empty trash- 356 items to be deleted… " :eek:

I tried to dump a back up disk from work with nothing more than a few folder containing print drivers, The message in the status bar read "119, 274 items to be deleted…" it took from 5:20 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. the next day to allow the trash to empty.

That answer your question?

p.s. iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, OS 10.5.8

No, it doesn't answer my question. A corrupted file system does not mean you have a virus. Run repair disk.

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Apple A4

I'm interested to see what this Apple A4 processor can do. It's obviously going to end up in the future iPhone, which should release sometime this summer, right?

My only real disappointment lies with the absence of a webcam. The iPad would be great for video conferencing, as well as, augmented reality based video games. Perhaps third party developers can build something that attaches to the 30-pin connector, like a swiveling camera eye. That way you could do both video conferencing and augmented reality. Mwahaha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.